My First GID mod. Need some help deciding.

gnolivos

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Fritz, and good idea bout the gases...

Do you think I will lose any reflectivity/performance of the light beam by applying the GID mix to the base of the reflector as per my picture?

the epoxy+glow will be more even and durable and will handle the heat just fine, just make sure to run the LED for a few mins w/o the front lens on so any gasses that may be emmited at 1st can clear out w/o condensing on the optics.
i have not had great sucess with the glo paints but the epoxy mix has done well for me. just my $0.02 worth.

gnolivos

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

First post! I've been a bit of a flashlight nerd for a while now, and lurked frequently. Time to join the crowd.

I have a UltraFire C2-T60 light which uses a CREE XM LT6 emitter. This is an extremely bright light, and at full power can get very hot after 15-30 minutes.
I want to apply the GID powder+ 2ton Epoxy method to achieve some cool effects.

I am thinking of adding some inside the light at the base of the reflector, around the emitter. Questions:
1) Is the Glow Inc powder + Epoxy a safe mix to have around the emitter? (BLACK ARROWS) Or should I use the premixed paint? I think this gets extremely hot and I dont want it melting or causing any problems. I see others have done similar application, but I have no idea what type of light you deal with... low temp LEDs I assume ae fine, but these CREE lights...?
Also, do I risk losing reflectivity in this region?

2) Second, I would like to apply some outside of the lens at the perimeter of the 'crown' (WHITE ARROWS). Is it best to use epoxy+powder or paint?

I did read about 10 threads on these topics, found mostly answers about the crown mod, but nothing related to heat at the reflector base etc.

Thanks for any help!

48387b6b.jpg

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a righteous pain to mix epoxy + powder, BUT you can then make it as 'strongly glowing' as you like. I've had good results with Glow-Inc's water-based paint, of all things, on my mag lites. I still need to shoot the 3D I put more in, but here's the minimag I glow'd:

6818041502_db317436b1.jpg

It's reading-bright when charged. Note: DO NOT put glow powder on optical surfaces. The flat part at the bottom of the reflector isn't really an optical surface, but keep it off the LED dome and parabolic parts. I suggest taking the bezel off to get the bezel painted. One forum member turns his bezels by hand so the 2-ton epoxy powder mix dries evenly.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
the epoxy+glow will be more even and durable and will handle the heat just fine, just make sure to run the LED for a few mins w/o the front lens on so any gasses that may be emmited at 1st can clear out w/o condensing on the optics.
i have not had great sucess with the glo paints but the epoxy mix has done well for me. just my $0.02 worth.