Help me with a banner ad!

archer6817j

Enlightened
Hi all,

So I decided to spend some of my pizza money on a banner ad on CPF. I keep running into situations (GTG's, SHOT Show, emails) that make me realize I've only reached a sliver of the CPF community. Since I'm attempting to do this for a living I really need to get some more lights moving. So, I put my first draft ad below and I'd really like feedback from anyone.

A few rules:

1) I will not do an animated ad
2) I will not have an ad with roll-over functionality
3) I reserve the right to add to this list, subtract, or change my mind entirely :)

I'm okay with the "general" format, but I'd especially like feedback on the copy for the white text. I have 4 lines and want to use them wisely. What should I say about my lights? What appeals to you that needs to be the first thing you want to/should know about my lights? What makes them (in your eyes) different or "worth it." I'd be extra excited to hear from Alpha owners who could speak to what encouraged them to buy a light from me in the first place and/or what their experience has been so far...regarding how I should advertise my lights. I'm not fishing for compliments, I just want to know what the valid selling points are...from the perspective of my customers...or potential customers :)

prometheus-banner-websave.jpg

Thanks in advance! CFP rules.

thaugen

Enlightened
I was introduced to your website/business through your HDS and Surefire Titanium clips. I now have two of your HDS clips and one Surefire clip and love them! I spent some time looking at your site last night and after watching your production video I want to purchase an Alpha. If you get people to your site and they will be hooked. You have a great product, are knowledgeble and passionate about what you are doing. In my opinion your videos highlight this effectively. I think the banner you have above looks good and should help get people to your site. Keep up the great work Jason and best of luck with your business!

moeman

Enlightened
Yes, I hound you though your awesome accessories too. As for an Ad, that is hard! I do like the one you just posted above. Maybe another showing off your clips/accessories? Also, you really should get over on USN. They have deep pockets.... (no offense to anyone I hope, just my experience)

sassaquin

Enlightened
Overall, I like your ad and hopefully it will generate interest.
Here are my two cents, not that I know what I'm talking about.

- All capital letters on the four lines of text reads too loud, consider upper/lower case and maybe a font that isn't so plain.
- Combine the 3rd and 4th line into one - "Custom Built to Order" It says nearly the same thing and saves a line.
- Advertise "Lifetime Warranty"
- Advertise "500 Lumens in a Pocket Size Light" -
- Lumens sell to some, but beam and tint quality is more important to others. Deciding what type of customer/flashaholic you are targeting may help write the copy.

Good luck! :)

Last edited:

dy5

Newly Enlightened
The background's interesting (good interesting) - the background is lightest in the lower right where the lights are.
The text seems a bit crowded - maybe a somewhat smaller font?
Granted that customizable is one of the characteristics of your lights, the word could be confusing next to 'built to order' for someone who hasn't read your web site and maybe isn't very 'flashlight savvy.'
Anyway, some ideas - hope they help!

thaugen

Enlightened
The text in the new version looks good. I would recommend lightening the background so "Prometheus Lights" and your logo stand out a bit more against the dark background on the right side of the banner.

eg1977

Newly Enlightened
Hand Crafted in California
Built to Last a Lifetime
Limited Production

sassaquin

Enlightened
I was thinking about the top reasons why I want one of your lights and your unheard of customer service came to mind second to outstanding quality. Not really sure how to word it on an ad, but highlighting your great customer service might draw attraction.
Also, your YouTube machining videos really sell your skills and the Alpha, would it be possible to put a link on the banner ad to them?

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
My wife is my Art Director, and did our Web site and both logos. She can look it over for you, if you like? She has done wonderful work for some big People.

You made the best decision with no motion/rollover.

Any kind of motion or blinknig for something like your products would make them look cheaper.

I kind of like the "California" part, and 1977 is correct in the complete spelling, however, and remember, I am a photographer, not an ad guy, but some people just do not like California, the state - "USA" may be better?

A quote from some well known person is always a good idea, like: "This light helped save my family." -- Andy Grove, Founder, Intel Corp. Santa Clara, CA

Last edited:

archer6817j

Enlightened
Yeah, there as been a lot of discussion about exactly how to call out the "location" with my offline folks as well. See what you think of my reasoning in combination with the discussion so far:
  1. Made in USA: For my brand/beliefs, this is too generic. It also makes me think "prove it" and that's not the first thing I want my customers to be thinking about. Made in USA is all too often used as a marketing ploy. It's also often lied about (or at least exaggerated). That phrase is a no go in my book.
  2. Made in California: I actually like that it's "clean"...only one word, clear, feels nice...to me. However, it's still a "little" generic. As far as some people not liking California, some people don't like the USA, some people don't like carrots, some people don't like dogs...I can live with that :) I also think the term "California" is so broad that it more easily allows negative preconceptions to drift in. It's still impersonal.
  3. Made in Mtn. View, CA: Clumsy but specific and personal. It's where my tools live, it's where the chips hit the floor, it's where I pay my taxes. I'm trying to be as authentic and transparent as possible with my brand. No games, no hidden fees, no exaggeration, no nonsense. I like that it's specific, not generic, and my "hope" is that specificity says more about me as the maker than some vague geographical statement.
Thoughts? Did that sound convincing? :)

archer6817j

Enlightened
I was thinking about the top reasons why I want one of your lights and your unheard of customer service came to mind second to outstanding quality. Not really sure how to word it on an ad, but highlighting your great customer service might draw attraction.
Also, your YouTube machining videos really sell your skills and the Alpha, would it be possible to put a link on the banner ad to them?

Thanks, I didn't really know that was my reputation :) Am I blushing?

So the banner ad will link to my main page that shows the video first thing. Do you think that works?

*begin rant* one thing that frustrates me is that youtube shows the title of the video as an overlay...after you view the video. So if I put a separate title on the page, after you view it, then the title is there twice. Talk about a layout nightmare. *end rant*

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, there as been a lot of discussion about exactly how to call out the "location" with my offline folks as well. See what you think of my reasoning in combination with the discussion so far:
  1. Made in USA: For my brand/beliefs, this is too generic. It also makes me think "prove it" and that's not the first thing I want my customers to be thinking about. Made in USA is all too often used as a marketing ploy. It's also often lied about (or at least exaggerated). That phrase is a no go in my book.
  2. Made in California: I actually like that it's "clean"...only one word, clear, feels nice...to me. However, it's still a "little" generic. As far as some people not liking California, some people don't like the USA, some people don't like carrots, some people don't like dogs...I can live with that :) I also think the term "California" is so broad that it more easily allows negative preconceptions to drift in. It's still impersonal.
  3. Made in Mtn. View, CA: Clumsy but specific and personal. It's where my tools live, it's where the chips hit the floor, it's where I pay my taxes. I'm trying to be as authentic and transparent as possible with my brand. No games, no hidden fees, no exaggeration, no nonsense. I like that it's specific, not generic, and my "hope" is that specificity says more about me as the maker than some vague geographical statement.
Thoughts? Did that sound convincing? :)

Re above, as someone who lives outside of the US I've no idea what "Mtn. View, CA" stands for!! I know you ship worldwide, so you might want to keep that in mind?

Oh, also add something about the fact you are willing to ship overseas, that's a strong point these days. :)

archer6817j

Enlightened
Re above, as someone who lives outside of the US I've no idea what "Mtn. View, CA" stands for!! I know you ship worldwide, so you might want to keep that in mind?

Oh, also add something about the fact you are willing to ship overseas, that's a strong point these days. :)

So as a potential international customer what do you think it should say? :)

In terms of overseas shipping, in this day and age I would expect any company selling goods on the internet to ship overseas. Is that an unreasonable expectation? I'm not trying to be cheeky, that's a legit question :)

Burntrice

Newly Enlightened
You lead the ad with where it's made, but I'm not so sure this is the first thing you want to get across or even if its relevant at all. If you lived in Iceland / Spain / south Africa etc etc would you be making your lights in a different way? Also as Essexman says, "Mtn. View CA" means absolutely nothing to me :) If I told you I lived in 'Wilts' would you have a clue where that is?

Personally I'd put 'Handcrafted in the USA' at the end of your list.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with Burntrice, 'Handcrafted in the USA' sounds fine to me.

Yes I think everyone should offer overseas shipping! I make and sell paracord crafts as past time. I've shipped all over the world. Infact I've picked up many orders from Europe as the cutomer couldn't get the items they wanted from the states .

Just this week I heard of a UK knife collecter who wanted to buy a $9.99 lanyard from a US webstore. He was qouted postage at international standard of $43.95. So he phoned them and asked if they could just be kind enough to stick it in a small envelope and send surface.........."no, we have a minimum order of $100 international".

Enough of me moaning and ranting.

Keep doing what your doing, making great lights and giving great customer service. Word of mouth speaks more than an advert.