"High-end" incand. recommendations please!

waxycap

Newly Enlightened
:wave:
Could somebody recommend "high-end" incandescent flashlights with good color rendering and
a somewhat decent battery life? (1 hour or more)

I'm not too picky, but it the tint should not be terribly yellow, and it should be bright enough to use a diffuser, if needed.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walmart used to carry a 1300 lumen black&decker rechargeable light in the automotive section.

Not sure if a Surefire G3 with a P90 Incan would be bright enough, worth a look though.

waxycap

Newly Enlightened
Thank you, sir. I wonder if there is any place I can actually test these things out. (I doubt it) But I think REI might let me give it a go.
Plenty of WallMarts in my area, too, so I'll have to start doing some window shopping and see if anything comes out of it.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cabella's and Costco sometimes carry the big searchlights too, read reviews online before buying Cabella's brand

notrefined

Enlightened
I think we need some idea what size/form factor and output level you're looking for. Some options to run the gamut might be a surefire E2O with stock lamp, a 2x18650 surefire C host with P91 lamp assembly, Surefire M6 with MN15 lamp assembly, or 6D Mag ROP.

waxycap

Newly Enlightened
notrefined-

Most decent Surefires I've looked at are at least in the $150 range.
Basically, a flashlight at 100 dollars or more will be expensive since it is only supposed to be one of two or
three flashlights total that I use simultaneously to paint dark, indoor areas.

So I'm thinking:

a flooder, not a thrower
around 200 yard throw (it would have to be at least that if I want to try adding a diffuser to an incan, right?)
light that is not super duper yellow (4000-4,200K range is OK)
size or weight restrictions are not necessary at all, but I'm definitely not looking for a puny, AAA flashlight.

Last edited:

awenta

Enlightened
What about a high CRI (90+) warm tint led light? Very similar to incan and better output/runtime.
Or do an Osram mod on a maglite and have a super bright hot wire.

waxycap

Newly Enlightened
What about a high CRI (90+) warm tint led light? Very similar to incan and better output/runtime.
Or do an Osram mod on a maglite and have a super bright hot wire.

It's gonna take me some more study to look into all these letter abbreviations and numerical values for whatever LED's there are out there I can sub n' swap.
If I can figure out LED's by light quality and tint alone I'm smooth sailin'......... thanks though.

notrefined

Enlightened
You're not likely to achieve a color temperature higher than about 3300K with an incandescent source.

For what you describe, a 6D maglite with 6 NIMH D Cells and an ROP low bulb would do well for you I think. If you need more output than that, a 6C with download's MagC tower and the ROP high would be an option, though maybe cutting it close on runtime.

waxycap

Newly Enlightened
You're not likely to achieve a color temperature higher than about 3300K with an incandescent source.

For what you describe, a 6D maglite with 6 NIMH D Cells and an ROP low bulb would do well for you I think. If you need more output than that, a 6C with download's MagC tower and the ROP high would be an option, though maybe cutting it close on runtime.

ok, thanks.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you need more output than that, a 6C with download's MagC tower and the ROP high would be an option, though maybe cutting it close on runtime.

a 6c??? they aren't made for decades, those that left go for 100 or more on ebay, rop high can't burn longer than 10 min without melting positive contact on teh bulb, even with download tower it still melts.

a 6c, reflector, tower, cells all comes close to surefire price, but sf a lot more practical.

notrefined

Enlightened
wasn't aware that the 6C wasn't a practical option- my error.

melting the base on the bulb is indeed the problem with long burns on the ROP hi, but I've not had any issues with this using download's tower.

Magcharger sounds like a good option if it has the necessary stamina- I've never had one and don't know.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
solarforce l 1200

no links, just the name.

Last edited:

robostudent5000

Enlightened
it kind of sounds like what you really need is a plug-in halogen work light or something like this. if you need battery power because you don't have access to an outlet, i'd look at getting a neutral tint, hi CRI, LED setup. that would be the easiest way to get the lumens you need with a floody pattern with the necessary runtime. it might be hard to keep things under $100 though.

what exactly do you plan to use these lights for?

Last edited:

awenta

Enlightened
Get an HDS systems High CRI (color rendering index) light. You will not be disappointed. If you are it takes about 45 seconds to sell one in the marketplace. If your still stuck on an incan then get a P60 that way it infinitely upgradable.