Something like the Colossus Thor X but continuous op from car power

PeteGould

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

First time visitor and in a bit of a panic because I have to find something FAST. I did this years ago without trouble but the product I used apparently no longer exists.

I'm a video shooter and I've picked up a project that has to be shot in a remote area at night over this weekend. Years ago on a similar project I purchased four lights that appeared identical to the Colossus Thor X but in addition to the lead-acid internal battery they also accepted external car power for continuous operation (I need these to run for about four hours). I've looked all over the Internet and found the Colossus, the Wegan, the HumVee and others that all appear to run off the same H4 bulb but they all share the same issue: the 12vdc input is only a charger input; there's no means of actually operating the light that way and of course the internal battery isn't nearly enough for what we're doing.

I saw the Stanley $80 HID light but at 8000K color temperature it won't suit this purpose and I don't have time to get it and try to do the 4300K mod, and I'm not sure that takes external power either.

This would once have been a simple local purchase at a Lowes, Home Depot or even a Costco (I think the last time I did this I found the things at Costco). Now I can't find them anywhere and I'm starting to get nervous. It never occurred to me that it would be this hard to find similar (or better) lights than what I found four or five years ago.

Does anyone know of a similarly high-intensity light that takes external 12 volt car power? Please don't beat me up too hard if this has been answered somewhere else in this forum - I've looked, but sometimes figuring out the right search string isn't easy for a newcomer.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Pete

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Black&Decker incandescent rechargeable was 1300 lumens, got one from Walmart last year, it was in the automotive section. I'm in Canada so our stock isn't the same, but it may be there. CanadianTire up here has a couple car charge lights if your in Canada.

Cabella's carries Some search lights too.