Surefire LX2 Lumamax vs Surefire Fury

jalcon

Newly Enlightened
Pretty simple. Which would throw further? I would assume the Fury because of it's 500 lumens however considering the LX2 is equipped with the TIR lens, maybe I am wrong. Thanks in advance.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
LX2 has approximately 9,000 lux (190 meters to 0.25 lux), while Fury does around 10,000 (200 meters to 0.25 lux).

LX2 has tighter beam than Fury, but Fury's raw power allows it to brute force its way past LX2 at throw.

The result will be slightly different under actual usage, however. Fury's wider and brighter spill means that it will illuminate lot more nearby objects within your FOV, meaning that you might get better peripheral vision but at the cost of reduced ability to see objects farther away due to the amount of light reflecting back. You will be able to make out objects farther away with LX2's tight beam, since it won't be compromising your vision since its tight beam will reduce nearby objects from reflecting the light back into your eyes.

jalcon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks and makes sense. So for a realistic situation, if I light up a tree from 200 yards away I'm more likely to see the beam of the LX2 rather than the Fury, correct?

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not by much, but the difference will definitely be there, especially if there are lot of things reflecting the light back at you, such as snow, rain, fog, etc.

If you are planning on getting LX2, I would recommend that you wait a while. Surefire has announced that they are updating the Lumamax line with updated LX2 and LX2 Ultra. The updated LX2 will have higher output (250 lumens) and throw (12,000 lux), while LX2 Ultra will have even higher output (500 lumens) but with same throw.

awenta

Enlightened
I love my LX2 and E2DL, the TIR is awesome. I guess I will have to get a new LX2 soon.

Sgt. LED They are here. M3LT and UB3T are 800 lumens and TIR and the M6LT is 900 lumens+TIR.
SF lumens = gold.

gripnSUREFIRE

Newly Enlightened
Hey!
Isn't there a Fury with a big ol TIR in it coming out really soon?
That should throw like a champ.

Ahh man, I totally just ordered (backordered) a Fury:oops:. TIR would be something to see...
Wonder what the cost will be?

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey!
Isn't there a Fury with a big ol TIR in it coming out really soon?
That should throw like a champ.

It's too bad I wouldn't touch Fury with a 10ft pole because of its UI--the same reason why I never got the E2DL even though I was really tempted.

Besides, Fury with TIR will most likely throw as much as the LX2 Ultra. After all, you can only focus that huge XM-L so much.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait...you don't like the Fury's UI, and you don't like the E2DL's UI either? Are you looking for a single output light?

I haven't heard anything about a Fury with a TIR (maybe the DM2 or LX2, which will be 500 lumen lights with a TIR?)...but if you want to look at something far away, the Fury will be better because of large hotspot will light up the entire area.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to the 2012 catalog the Fury is continuing unchanged in 2012, but there are several other 500 Lumen TIR lights coming out with various UIs and some with programmability: UM2, DM2, ZM2.
In the catalog the Fury has 9700lux and the new 2012 LX2 Ultra 500L TIR is 13,000 lux. And the upgraded "regular" LX2 is 250L 13,000lux. The new LX2s are programmable and have good throw, which means I may be forced to get one.

funder

Newly Enlightened
TIR will not increase the throw, as compared with reflectors of similar diameter. Fury has a larger bezel, but its LED (XML) has a lower luminance (surface brightness) as compared with LX2. So they have very similar throw (as throw limit can be calculated as: luminance (surface brightness, in cd/m^2 or nit) x projection area x 1/(refractive index of first optics)^2 ).

jalcon

Newly Enlightened
Thanks alot guys. I'm just trying to decide between the Fury and LX2, really. I have the Fury currently but since LX2's can be had for around 140, might go that route. I like the fact that you can take it apart, unlike the Fury. At the same time I am worried that if "trade" them, I'll turn the LX2 on, and be like "that is it?", since coming from the 500 lumen fury.

I know the newer LX2's will come out eventually, but A) I don't really feel like waiting, and B) I'm sure they will be at least $210+. I'd keep the Fury and wait for the new LX2 Ultra, but apparently it is going to have pretty yellowish/green tint, which I'm not to fond of.

Decisions, decisions?

jalcon

Newly Enlightened
I should add, the reason I am putting so much thought behind this is because it will be only real quality flashlight I have as of right now, other than the Fenix LD01 on my keychain.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
To get higher rated lumens, greener tints are easier, and the ANSI ratings are biased towards frequencies the human eye is more receptive too...hence the yellow/green part of the spectrum.

This is why neutral versions of the same light have lower ANSI lumen ratings.

As throw is rated by range to 0.25 lux, a greener tint gets a higher throw rating.

IE:

SF Lumens = Green

:D

jalcon

Newly Enlightened
Interesting...

I can't decide for the life of me between these two, haha.:shrug:

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
I should add, the reason I am putting so much thought behind this is because it will be only real quality flashlight I have as of right now, other than the Fenix LD01 on my keychain.

If you have a Fury, then you already have a real quality flashlight.

I have a Fury and an LX2 (actually an LX2 head on an E2E body, I prefer clickies even though I only have high). During informal testing on my son's 12 acre property, we found them roughly comparable in throw. Mind you, we didn't do measurements to a fraction of a lumen or hundredth of a millimeter, and we compared them against our specific needs, which isn't exclusively throw. Our opinions may have been skewed by the tremendous spill of the Fury, which we really found really useful. Our verdict? While both are great flashlights, for our type of everyday use we would choose the Fury over the LX2 because the usefulness of the spill outweighed any variation in throw . YMMV

If you really want to try an LX2, I'd suggest picking up a used one on the marketplace to save some $$$. That way if you don't like it you can flip it without too much loss.

jalcon

Newly Enlightened
If you have a Fury, then you already have a real quality flashlight.

I have a Fury and an LX2 (actually an LX2 head on an E2E body, I prefer clickies even though I only have high). During informal testing on my son's 12 acre property, we found them roughly comparable in throw. Mind you, we didn't do measurements to a fraction of a lumen or hundredth of a millimeter, and we compared them against our specific needs, which isn't exclusively throw. Our opinions may have been skewed by the tremendous spill of the Fury, which we really found really useful. Our verdict? While both are great flashlights, for our type of everyday use we would choose the Fury over the LX2 because the usefulness of the spill outweighed any variation in throw . YMMV

If you really want to try an LX2, I'd suggest picking up a used one on the marketplace to save some $$$. That way if you don't like it you can flip it without too much loss.

Great info. Much appreciated. I will most likely hang on to the Fury, it is quite a light. I wish it had a pocket clip, but what are you going to do?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Generally, I find a big 'ol floody beam to be more useful than a tight dowel shaped beam...with the exceptions being fairly task specific.

SOMETIMES, too much light around you makes it harder to adjust your eyes to a far away darker target...othertimes, it just doesn't seem to hurt in that regard....with the reflectance of your vantage point being a main factor.

Tactically, you sometimes don't want to light up your position, and a floody light, esp with spill, tends to show "the other guy" (the one you might be aiming AT) where YOU and your BUDDIES are, etc.

For other than tactical use, a fat long beam is better than a thin long beam.

Some lights are just lumen monsters, and the raw horsepower just overwhelms the lack of beam focusing....so it just floods a large enough area to INCLUDE lighting up what the dimmer but more focused beam lights can reach.

The 4sevens S12 and X10 are good examples - The S12's beam is very wide, and its 800 lumens are thrown way out there in a broad cone of light. The X10's ~640 lumens is thrown in a much tighter beam...so, the end result, it that the X10's throw is STILL a bit shy of the S12's...but its close....but the S12 is lighting up EVERYTHING down range, not one bush, etc.

For searching, the fatter the beam, the easier it is to FIND things...a narrow beam means sweeping back and forth the stitch together what's out there, etc....

..So the Fury wins the comparison between it and the LX2 at least...despite losing to say the XT11, S12, S10, etc.

:devil:

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
Great info. Much appreciated. I will most likely hang on to the Fury, it is quite a light. I wish it had a pocket clip, but what are you going to do?

Go to Lighthound and check out for Solarforce Pocket Clip Part Number SOLL2PC. It's for L2 hosts, but I'm pretty sure that it will work on the Fury. The Fury body has the same dimensions as the L2/6P series. And it only costs $5!

freeride21a

Newly Enlightened
I have both as well. Probably pissed off all my neighbors over the last few weeks shining my lights up and down the street. Id say the fury is 10-15% brighter at distance than the LX2, it is a noticeable difference, but the main difference is the Fury will light up the entire front of the house and around where the LX2 would just light up the garage door.