Maxpedition - Active Shooter Bag 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DEFT-edc LR+ 72K cd!!

Default Re: DEFT-edc LR+ 72K cd!!

Mine JUST arrived, looks like 81 kcd

I can't wait to go out and play!

I have the PF18 on Saturday too.

PS - Saab - Do I need to twist the head to maximize focus, or should I be usig this with the head tightened all the way down?

- Thanks!
    Last edited by TEEJ; 04-13-2012 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by saabluster View Post
    That's a good attitude to have. That said all the lights in this last batch should be over the normal LR+ spec. With the latest adjustment I have been getting typical performance of about 76Kcd. Had a couple get to 80Kcd. And no I don't know which ones.
    Holy crap I was just joking about the special adjustment...that is awesome!

TEEJ,

That is awesome that you received your LR+! With a little extra lux huh?

If you get a chance to this weekend to do some beamshots with your LR and other throwers that would be fantastic!

Have fun playing!
    "Light up the Darkness"

That's a good attitude to have. That said all the lights in this last batch should be over the normal LR+ spec. With the latest adjustment I have been getting typical performance of about 76Kcd. Had a couple get to 80Kcd. And no I don't know which ones.
    I have to thank you for doing this Michael. I bought the light expecting it to be 72Kcd but you tweaked it for FREE up to 76Kcd. Amazing perfectionist attitude there. Really, thanks again Michael. Even if it was only up to 73 Kcd I will be very happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Draven451 View Post
    TEEJ,

That is awesome that you received your LR+! With a little extra lux huh?

If you get a chance to this weekend to do some beamshots with your LR and other throwers that would be fantastic!

Have fun playing!
    Even better, I will be at the 18th annual Photon Fest in NJ on Saturday...with a LOT of Flashaholics - And I expect a LOT of lights will be there.

There's quarry nearby we traditionally go to to do beams shots/comparisons...so - if all goes according to plan....there will be no shortage of beam shots.

Here is a little information for those that are curious about the LR+. I donít have any way to test lux/lumens and what not and I am also a rookie as far as flashaholics go. Just to give you an idea of the lights I own, I have the followingÖ.

Olight M20 with orange peel reflector
    Olight M20 with smooth reflector
    Surefire A2 Aviator
    Surefire Fury

I got my LR+ yesterday and itís a completely different light than anything I own. When I first turned it on, I felt it was more like a laser than a flashlight. It has an awesome neutral tint to it. I was lighting up houses and since the beam is so tight, I wasnít waking anyone up by flashing their windows since I can control exactly what I was shining. I was lighting up houses that are probably around 800-1000ft away and that is with street lights on. I didnít have any targets that are farther away since I was only doing this from my back yard. I can only imagine if you were using this thing in complete darkness. I really like the green tail cap cover, nice little touch to the flashlight. Also, it glows green behind the lens after you use the light and then turn it off. I think those are two cool unique features to this light. If anyone was wondering, it comes with a wrist strap and there is also a spot to attach a lanyard on the tail cap.

Here are a couple of little things that I would like to see changed but they are minor. I would like a different tail switch, I wish it would turn on momentarily when you first pressed it and then it would stay constant on when you click it in. Currently you have to click it in before it will turn on and then you can momentarily press it in to turn it off, I believe this is called a reverse clicky? I wish the crenellated bezel stuck out a little further to protect the lens more. I would also like to see a pocket clip but I know I could probably find one that would work for this online. These are minor things, more like wish list items.

Overall, I canít believe how powerful this lights it, it seriously throws far. Mike really puts a lot of heart into his flashlights and his work shows it, the details and quality are amazing. The tail cap threads are really smooth. It only has one brightness setting but you can use the included diffuser to make it useful for work that isnít half a mile away! I think this will be a fun light to take when I go on walks with my dogs. I probably should have played with it for a few more days and gotten some pictures for everyone but I wanted to post back because I know a lot of people are excited about this light. If you want a serious thrower, this thing is incredible. I think he is years ahead of the competition as far as throw goes, especially for how small this light is. My M20 is about Ĺ inch taller than this light by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by TEEJ View Post

PS - Saab - Do I need to twist the head to maximize focus, or should I be usig this with the head tightened all the way down?

- Thanks!
    It is in "perfect" focus as shipped. That does not necessarily mean the head is screwed all the way down but we make it at least close to that. When you use it at night and adjust the focus while looking at something far away it becomes clear to the eye where it is best at so don't stress over it too much.

Quote Originally Posted by shramj View Post
    Here are a couple of little things that I would like to see changed but they are minor. I would like a different tail switch, I wish it would turn on momentarily when you first pressed it and then it would stay constant on when you click it in.
    Thanks for your feedback. A forward clicky is going to be on the Enthusiast version

Thanks for your feedback. A forward clicky is going to be on the Enthusiast version
    What are the target specs for the Enthusiast version?

Even better, I will be at the 18th annual Photon Fest in NJ on Saturday...with a LOT of Flashaholics - And I expect a LOT of lights will be there.There's quarry nearby we traditionally go to to do beams shots/comparisons...so - if all goes according to plan....there will be no shortage of beam shots.
    Photon Fest! WOW that sounds cool. Can't wait to hear about it and how the LR+ performs!
    Last edited by Draven451; 04-13-2012 at 02:03 PM.
    "Light up the Darkness"

Its in NJ, I don't know where you are...but, if you can get to NJ anytime on Saturday (Yes, we play into the wee hours of Sunday...'cause its DARK)...it would be worth it.

Its in NJ, I don't know where you are...but, if you can get to NJ anytime on Saturday (Yes, we play into the wee hours of Sunday...'cause its DARK)...it would be worth it.

I would but I am in Texas. Sounds like a fun time. Let us know how it goes.
    "Light up the Darkness"

shramj,

Thank you for your review on the LR+ and the insight you provided.

800 - 1000 feet and hitting targets with light pollution!

Saturday can't come fast enough to receive mine!
    "Light up the Darkness"

Draven451, the LR+ is pretty ridiculous, I don't have many street lights in my area but I still have some. I can't wait till I can use it where I have no street lights. When you get yours, make sure you post your feedback on this thread. The targets (houses, trees, etc) I can see from my backyard are anywhere from 50-1000 feet in any given direction and it's a cool feeling when you know you can light up any target in your field of view
    Last edited by shramj; 04-13-2012 at 03:22 PM.

What are the target specs for the Enthusiast version?

90Kcd That's the goal anyway. We shall see how close I come to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Draven451 View Post
    I would but I am in Texas. Sounds like a fun time. Let us know how it goes.
    Well we are having a GTG here in the DFW area this month. Next weekend in fact! The info is in the "trade shows and GTG" forum.

Well we are having a GTG here in the DFW area this month. Next weekend in fact! The info is in the "trade shows and GTG" forum.
    I never noticed we had a section like that on the forums. Cool! If I knew a couple weeks earlier I could have made some arrangements and plans. Sounds like a great time!
    "Light up the Darkness"

Deft-edc LR+ has arrived!

Initial impressions - When I saw how small the box the light was in I thought - WOW this is going to be a small light! The light itself is small and while not small like some of my AAA/10440 edc lights it is a good size to carry in the pocket! With the battery loaded the light has a nice weight. It feels substantial like a quality tool that you know was purpose built and made to be used.

It is obvious that there has been great care and attention to detail with this light. The finish is very well done and the surfaces of the light are smooth and feel good in the hand. The contrast between the dark grey parts and the stainless steel portions including the bezel are very aesthetically appealing. The lanyard is nice and the threads are the smoothest I have ever experienced. Heck I thought it didn't have threads as I was taking the tail off to insert the battery. It's buttery smooth. The green tail-button is a nice addition.

Having never owned an aspheric light before and only seeing pictures online the bulbous head of the lens is really cool! Its like peering into the top portion of a magic crystal ball. It makes me want to wave my hand over the lens and say magic lr+ please give me 80k+ cd and throw as far as you can - throw like the wind!

Also if you put your eye right up to the lens and look into the light you can see the pill and beautiful cree xp-c LED
    Word of caution - Please do not turn on the light while your eyeball is looking into the lens as bad things can happen!

Since it is still daylight outside I have only been able to shine the beam around the house. Seeing the LED die shoot across the house is pretty cool. The image is incredibly bright and very tightly focused. It's amazing that there is no spill that I could discern!

Just for fun even though it is bright outside I decided to shine the light thru one of my upstairs windows across the street to my neighbors house. I could not see the beam granted but once I passed the light across the back of one of their cars I noticed that I could see a reflection glimmer from their license plate! This is in slightly cloudy daylight sun from approximately 100 ft or so away!

Now it's time to wait for the darkness to reach out and touch something!
    Last edited by Draven451; 04-14-2012 at 03:07 PM.
    "Light up the Darkness"

Is it dark there yet!

I forgot to pack my camera when at PF18..so I don't have bean shots from it for the DEFT edc LR+, but, it totally kicked ass...amazing throw.

I compared it to another LR there, and it was a tighter and brighter beam, almost laser-like in appearance.

So, I'll have to do some shots later this week to show it.

The light was a hit at the Photon Fest, and everyone who played with it was intrigued by it and its combination of teeny size, warm tint and incredible throw. Of course, the beams from the short arc HID's etc, there as well = with their ~ 1+ mile range, were also stars, pocket sized LED's vs giant dish HID, etc...spot lights are not apples and apples.

Sounds awesome...looking forward to the pics later this week!

With it's impressive display at Photon Fest, (I wish I had been there.) I figured I better get one of the three that are available.

And then there were two.

I was going to hold out and try to get an Enthusiast, but I did not want to miss out all together. I am still going to try to get one when they become available if I am fast enough. I really would prefer a forward clicky.

Any estimate on when the Enthusiast will make it's debut?

HyperBlitz Beam Shots: One, Two, Three

Quote Originally Posted by BARBARIAN-X View Post
    Is it dark there yet!
    Barbarian-X,

Darkness surely came. To say the light is impressive is an understatement.

I need to gather my thoughts.

Stay tuned more to come...
    "Light up the Darkness"

Hopefully mine will ship soon because I'm running out of darkness...I still got a month or so before I'm into the midnight sun! On the other hand I don't want to rush the light either. lol
    Looking forward to your impressions...

Talking Re: DEFT-edc LR+ 72K cd!!

My LR+ came today! Thank you for making such a quality feeling light! Your attention to detail is appreciated. This light is really light weight, and the perfect size IMO. I must agree that a momentary on function would be really cool. Is there an easy way to mod it? The LR+ is like having maglite throw in a surefire size light with the diffuser.
    Last edited by rick108; 04-17-2012 at 08:21 AM.

Just got my shipping notice so I'm pumped!

Got mine yesterday but still waiting for my batteries, so dont know how this baby works.
    I can not wait to try her out, but she looks very well made and did i say i can not wait to try her out

Saabluster - this is what I have been waiting for. My experiment with a DEFT EDC...

Next to be shortened will be LR+ - runs perfectly well on a 18350 850ma battery. No reduction in brightness to the naked eye.

During the day when I don't need a torch ... RC is my hobby http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/gallery/47842/Always on the lookout for McGizmo/Kuku Titanium torches with Trits..

mohanjude- That's very cool! We need details! Cut and re-thread, or cut and re-attach tail section?

Quote Originally Posted by scout24 View Post
    mohanjude- That's very cool! We need details! Cut and re-thread, or cut and re-attach tail section?
    Cut and re-thread.

From my estimate the 850ma should give me about 45 mins. Enough to do most of my jobs.

Mohan
    During the day when I don't need a torch ... RC is my hobby http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/gallery/47842/Always on the lookout for McGizmo/Kuku Titanium torches with Trits..

Wow that is retarded! It's an EDC for sure now.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast