Maxpedition - Active Shooter Bag 3
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 121 to 144 of 144

Thread: DEFT-edc LR+ 72K cd!!

  1. #121

    Default Re: DEFT-edc LR+ 72K cd!!

    OMG.... I just order the last piece of LR+. I think I'm going to have sleepless night till the light arrive...
    Last edited by hon; 04-18-2012 at 08:43 PM.

  2. #122
    Enlightened BARBARIAN-X's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    56

    Default Re: DEFT-edc LR+ 72K cd!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mohanjude View Post
    Saabluster - this is what I have been waiting for. My experiment with a DEFT EDC...

    Next to be shortened will be LR+ - runs perfectly well on a 18350 850ma battery. No reduction in brightness to the naked eye.


    Lets see it in your hand...I'm guessing approx 4 inches.

    Hey without the grip rings it looks like a lightsaber!

  3. #123
    Flashaholic* JetskiMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    567

    Default Re: DEFT-edc LR+ 72K cd!!

    Mine was shipped today.

    It will be interesting to see how it compares to my original DEFT.

    HyperBlitz Beam Shots: One, Two, Three

  4. #124

    Default Re: DEFT-edc LR+ 72K cd!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mohanjude View Post
    Saabluster - this is what I have been waiting for. My experiment with a DEFT EDC...

    Next to be shortened will be LR+ - runs perfectly well on a 18350 850ma battery. No reduction in brightness to the naked eye.
    Well I'm glad you finally got what you wanted. I think I prefer the look of the full length body but that cut-down version is even more pocketable for sure.

  5. #125
    Flashaholic* KuanR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Macau S.A.R.
    Posts
    1,197

    Default Re: DEFT-edc LR+ 72K cd!!

    My LR+ "72k" arrived!! My AW IMR cells haven't arrived yet so I know for sure my cheap Ultrafire cells are not doing it justice.

    The attention to detail on these lights are impeccable, I am really happy to say that even with the "budget" host, the light feels super solid and high quality.

    Thanks Saabluster!

    I will report back when my IMR cells arrive

  6. #126
    Flashaholic* KuanR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Macau S.A.R.
    Posts
    1,197

    Default Re: DEFT-edc LR+ 72K cd!!

    Also, how do I install the diffuser into the other position? I only tried it on putting the diffuser directly in front of the LED (I think position 1?)

  7. #127

    Default Re: DEFT-edc LR+ 72K cd!!

    Quote Originally Posted by KuanR View Post
    Also, how do I install the diffuser into the other position? I only tried it on putting the diffuser directly in front of the LED (I think position 1?)
    There is a black rubber spacer right behind the lens. Remove that and fit the diffuser behind the lens and then reinstall the black spacer. That is it.

  8. #128

    Default Re: DEFT-edc LR+ 72K cd!!

    I am really loving my DEFT shortie... It works for at least an hour. Since I use it for short bursts it least me a whole week in real use before recharging.

    My next project is take the Titanium highly polished body from Lumens factory Seraph shorten it and transplant the internals...

    Saabluster the internals are epoxied in some kind of resin... Any chance I could send you the Ti body for it to be transplanted for a fee?
    Last edited by mohanjude; 05-08-2012 at 03:10 AM.
    During the day when I don't need a torch ... RC is my hobby http://rc.runryder.com/helicopter/gallery/47842/Always on the lookout for McGizmo/Kuku Titanium torches with Trits..

  9. #129

    Default Re: DEFT-edc LR+ 72K cd!!

    Quote Originally Posted by mohanjude View Post
    I am really loving my DEFT shortie... It works for at least an hour. Since I use it for short bursts it least me a whole week in real use before recharging.

    My next project is take the Titanium highly polished body from Lumens factory Seraph shorten it and transplant the internals...

    Saabluster the internals are epoxied in some kind of resin... Any chance I could send you the Ti body for it to be transplanted for a fee?
    The only thing that can be reused is the LED pill. To remove the driver requires it to be destroyed. There is no other way. I can do the mod for you though.

  10. #130

    Default Re: DEFT-edc LR+ 72K cd!!

    I brought this thing to Disney World and talk about a great place to have a thrower. Everyone was amazed. I was lighting up the opening where the doors open at the top of the Hollywood Tower Hotel and shining everyone that was on the ride. Even the staff at Disney were amazed from it. I also had a blast using it at the Fantasmic show. The DEFT LR+ is a fun light and everyone gets a kick out of it. I hope there is a future to the EDC line because I may have to buy another! Saabluster, if I had 5 of these with me on my Disney World trip, I could have sold them in a heartbeat. I even had family from England wanting to get one for their son in Afganistan.

  11. #131
    Flashaholic Draven451's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    370

    Default DEFT-edc LR+ 72K cd!!

    shramj,

    Great story. I still enjoy the surprised faces of strangers when they see how powerful and small this light is!
    "Light up the Darkness"

  12. #132
    Flashaholic* JetskiMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    567

    Default Re: DEFT-edc LR+ 72K cd!!

    Since this thread was bumped; I am still frustrated by having a reverse clicky in an expensive light.

    Has anybody installed a forward clicky in theirs? I searched this thread and did not see any posts mentioning the conversion. Only talk of the "Enthusiast" version that will have a forward clicky.

    I am considering ordering a McClicky and attempting to install it.

    HyperBlitz Beam Shots: One, Two, Three

  13. #133
    *Flashaholic* LuxLuthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    10,285

    Default Re: DEFT-edc LR+ 72K cd!!

    Quote Originally Posted by JetskiMark View Post
    Since this thread was bumped; I am still frustrated by having a reverse clicky in an expensive light.

    Has anybody installed a forward clicky in theirs? I searched this thread and did not see any posts mentioning the conversion. Only talk of the "Enthusiast" version that will have a forward clicky.

    I am considering ordering a McClicky and attempting to install it.
    The -edc LR Enthusiast has a forward clicky, and I just removed and screwed it onto each of the 3 previous edc versions I also have. It works with all of them...so it should be pretty easy to change out the switch type--just has the 2 holes that unscrews with a pair of snap ring pliers. If he doesn't see this thread, next time I talk to him, I'll ask him what type of forward clicky he used in the final edc version and where to get them.

  14. #134
    Flashaholic* JetskiMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    567

    Default Re: DEFT-edc LR+ 72K cd!!

    Thank you for the info. I had disassembled the tail cap a while ago to see what the actual switch looked like. While the McClicky does not look like a drop in solution, I ordered one to see if I can make it work.

    Interestingly, a Surefire SW02 screws right on but the smaller diameter portion of the body is not long enough to bottom out and make contact. Machining off the rear grip ring retaining portion of the body would remedy this. So would a properly sized bushing. I wish I had a lathe.

    HyperBlitz Beam Shots: One, Two, Three

  15. #135

    Default Re: DEFT-edc LR+ 72K cd!!

    I used a Romisen forward clicky for the Enthusiast models. Don't remember right off the top of my head which one but the swap is pretty easy.

  16. #136
    *Flashaholic* LuxLuthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    10,285

    Default Re: DEFT-edc LR+ 72K cd!!

    Quote Originally Posted by saabluster View Post
    I used a Romisen forward clicky for the Enthusiast models. Don't remember right off the top of my head which one but the swap is pretty easy.
    Knowing nothing about a Romisen clicky, I found this google link. Is that the one, or are there a whole slew of various sizes you have to figure out from some other source?

  17. #137
    Flashaholic* JetskiMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    567

    Default Re: DEFT-edc LR+ 72K cd!!

    Quote Originally Posted by saabluster View Post
    I used a Romisen forward clicky for the Enthusiast models. Don't remember right off the top of my head which one but the swap is pretty easy.
    Thank you for the info. Those are inexpensive enough. Since that switch is an easy swap, is there a reason why these were not a part of the original build? Am I the only one who is not a reverse clicky fan?

    Quote Originally Posted by LuxLuthor View Post
    Knowing nothing about a Romisen clicky, I found this google link. Is that the one, or are there a whole slew of various sizes you have to figure out from some other source?
    That was my first search result and that vendor offers a 6% CPF discount. Not a big deal for a part that is only $1.35 but they do support CPF so I would be happy to support them. I added one to my cart to see how much shipping would be. One switch or a hundred would be $2.85 shipped USPS First Class. I will probably order several regardless of the McClicky outcome.

    I rolled up a piece of aluminum foil and inserted it into an SW02 and it works perfectly. I will try to find a piece of tubing that is the proper diameter to make a spacer with. (~0.824"/20.93mm O.D.) I like the feel of the light with the SW02 installed.

    Since the McClicky has a good reputation as a quality switch, I will see if I can make it work with the original tail cap. It should arrive in two days.

    Now I have to figure out how to convert my original DEFT to a forward clicky.

    HyperBlitz Beam Shots: One, Two, Three

  18. #138
    *Flashaholic* LuxLuthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    10,285

    Default Re: DEFT-edc LR+ 72K cd!!

    Quote Originally Posted by JetskiMark View Post
    Thank you for the info. Those are inexpensive enough. Since that switch is an easy swap, is there a reason why these were not a part of the original build? Am I the only one who is not a reverse clicky fan?



    That was my first search result and that vendor offers a 6% CPF discount. Not a big deal for a part that is only $1.35 but they do support CPF so I would be happy to support them. I added one to my cart to see how much shipping would be. One switch or a hundred would be $2.85 shipped USPS First Class. I will probably order several regardless of the McClicky outcome.

    I rolled up a piece of aluminum foil and inserted it into an SW02 and it works perfectly. I will try to find a piece of tubing that is the proper diameter to make a spacer with. (~0.824"/20.93mm O.D.) I like the feel of the light with the SW02 installed.

    Since the McClicky has a good reputation as a quality switch, I will see if I can make it work with the original tail cap. It should arrive in two days.

    Now I have to figure out how to convert my original DEFT to a forward clicky.
    How do we know that link we found is the right one?

  19. #139

    Default Re: DEFT-edc LR+ 72K cd!!

    Quote Originally Posted by LuxLuthor View Post
    Knowing nothing about a Romisen clicky, I found this google link. Is that the one, or are there a whole slew of various sizes you have to figure out from some other source?
    Close. That is where I got them but they were called "Forward Tactical Click Switch for Romisen RC-G2, RC-29". Don't see them on his site anymore but those may work as well.


    Quote Originally Posted by JetskiMark View Post
    Thank you for the info. Those are inexpensive enough. Since that switch is an easy swap, is there a reason why these were not a part of the original build? Am I the only one who is not a reverse clicky fan?
    Well if I remember correctly it was simply a matter of awareness or a lack thereof of the potential solution until we were at the end of production on the non-Enthusiast models. I seem to remember giving some thought to adding them to a few of the last ones but time and money were seriously tight at the time.

  20. #140

    Default Re: DEFT-edc LR+ 72K cd!!

    They certainly look similar. If anybody gets the switch swap to work I'd like to hear about it, and I'll be doing the same to my EDC+.

  21. #141
    *Flashaholic* LuxLuthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    10,285

    Default Re: DEFT-edc LR+ 72K cd!!

    Quote Originally Posted by saabluster View Post
    Close. That is where I got them but they were called "Forward Tactical Click Switch for Romisen RC-G2, RC-29". Don't see them on his site anymore but those may work as well.
    Good news! I sent an email to Bryan @ ShiningBeam.com and asked him if he still had the RC-G2 style, and he went back and found a box of 50 of them that he didn't know he had. He has listed it on the website here.

    I just spoke with him by phone as I had just placed an order today for the earlier discussed version which he said was a different size. He was able to change to this G2 version before it had shipped out. For future reference, he said that he can also order more of these.

    They are so cheap, I ordered a "bunch" extra just in case they disappear again.

  22. #142
    Flashaholic* JetskiMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Near Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    567

    Default Re: DEFT-edc LR+ 72K cd!!

    I got the McClicky to work. It was not very difficult, but definitely not a drop in solution. As usual, I proceeded through the process without taking any pictures. Kudos to those that document everything.

    I like the feel and the actuation of the Surefire SW02 and the Z48-HA tail caps much more. The McClicky only requires a very light touch for momentary. Too light for my taste. Especially after using a Surefire which just feels right. I will try to find an appropriate I.D. and O.D. piece of electrically conductive tubing to cut and use as a spacer/bushing. As an alternative, the rear most portion of the battery tube that retains the grip ring could be turned down and the tail cap would then fully seat. You would also be able to lock out the tail cap which is impossible to do with the stock one.

    If the RC-G2 style switch turns out to be a drop in solution and has a good feel, I will have to try one and compare it to the McClicky.

    HyperBlitz Beam Shots: One, Two, Three

  23. #143
    *Flashaholic* LuxLuthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    10,285

    Default Re: DEFT-edc LR+ 72K cd!!

    The RC-G2 is what Michael used in the EDC Enthusiast model. It is nearly a drop in, but you need one thing to make it work, namely a simple 1mm x 20mm (OD) metal washer, & with 11mm ID. This washer helps keep the smaller diameter switch centered and grounds the switch to the wall. You also need to clip off the protruding nub inside the rubber switch cover.

  24. #144

    Default Re: DEFT-edc LR+ 72K cd!!

    Quote Originally Posted by LuxLuthor View Post
    The RC-G2 is what Michael used in the EDC Enthusiast model. It is nearly a drop in, but you need one thing to make it work, namely a simple 1mm x 20mm (OD) metal washer, & with 11mm ID. This washer helps keep the smaller diameter switch centered and grounds the switch to the wall. You also need to clip off the protruding nub inside the rubber switch cover.
    Thanks for looking into this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •