500 real lumens 2xCR123 light. Is it possible at all?

kosmatch

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a general-purpose light for myself. Is it possible to get about 500 lumens output (real and more or less constant) using 2 CR123 batteries? Not "2 minutes turbo-mode", but real constant output.

Any suggestions? Need at least 2 modes ("Hi" and "Lo"), total runtime is not so important (30 min от "Hi" is quite enough), "floody" light is preffered.

Thank you!

dannyandmal

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like you are looking at a Malkoff M91. I have it in a C2 and I love it. If you are looking for 2 mode, I think you should look at his MD2 host as well.

jalcon

Newly Enlightened
What you just described is the Surefire Fury. Give it a look!

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes

selfbuilt did a Klarus XT-11 review and discovered it's specs are way understated and dumps a lot of light out

700 lumens out the front, and when it steps down, it is still above 500 ! which is more than the box states
"....with a common estimated ~530 lumens right after step-down at 3mins"....

plus many are posting that the UI (switches) are a very good design, and useful. instant strobe anytime
(self defense, mad dog stopper..etc) and 3 light levels. takes 2xcr123/2xrcr/1x18650. I have 5 (bought one,
did more research myself, said 'damn this is truly better than most lights, and bought 4 more to give out
to important peeps I know)

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the XML nowadays there are a hanful of lights that can do 500 lumens on 2 cr123.
Surefire fury was the first that jumped to my mind too ;)
Eagletac T20c2 is another

kosmatch

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your comments!

Malkoff M91 is rated less than 500
continuous lumens
and needs qualified assembling into the body (I heard there can be heatsink issues with P60 module)

Surefire Fury is very good (it is a leader in this comparison), maybe it's "Lo" is too low, but it's not a big problem. The only thing is that I din't find detailed review with discharge graphs with 2xCR123 for it

Klarus XT-11 is interesting, but selfbuilt's discharge graphs with 2xCR123 have nothing to do with "constant output", it's optimized for rechargebles, imho

Eagletac T20c2 (it's latest XM-L version) is rated only about 400 lumens after 3 minutes of "turbo mode" and I also can't find it's detailed review

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
ThruNite TN11 initially does 830 lumens OTF, steps down to 750 ANSI lumens and then maintains 500+ lumens for for approximately 30 minutes from the point of activation using 2xCR123A.

Also, it's tough for a light to maintain 500+ lumens throughout its runtime using 2xCR123A. The problem is with the amount of current being drawn from the batteries to drive the emitter that hard, which creates a lot of waste heat from the batteries that will eventually cook the light and batteries. After a few minutes, the light needs to reduce the current draw or risk A) tripping the PTC protection for protected batteries or B) have the batteries vent compressed hydrogen gas in a very explosive manner.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Malkoff M91 is rated less than 500 continuous lumens and needs qualified assembling into the body (I heard there can be heatsink issues with P60 module)

Hmm. First thing, the Malkoff M91 was designed for a 3xCR123 configuration. From what I've read it's borderline on 2xCR123 and individual examples may or may not operate at this low of a voltage.

Second, the output of the M91 is rated very conservatively and I wouldn't be surprised if it tests at >500 lumens OTF. The driver delivers 2 amps to the emitter, we can calculate the emitter lumens but I don't have that data handy at the moment.

Third, I don't know what you mean by needing qualified assembly into the body or heatsink issues. All high-output P60 dropins these days pretty much require aluminum light bodies for proper heat sinking and the M91 is no different in this regard. The M91 actually generates less heat than many of the other high-output dropins (of which I have a number of) and I've never had any problems with this.

Last edited:

dss_777

Enlightened
Sounds like the Malkoff Hound Dog XML would be an excellent choice. Has 750 measured OTF lumens on high, 60-90 lumens on low, and generates steady and reliable output for a predictable duration. It'll run on 2-4 CR123 batteries, with the only difference in performance being run-time.

Head is slightly larger than the usual 6P style, but it has a 6P style body. Solid, reliable, waaay-bright and well-performing... what's not to like?

The only real problem with Malkoffs is they're too much like Lay's potato chips... :)

Last edited:

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Klarus XT-2C is rated at about 470 lumens. Since Klarus seems to be conservative in the ratings I would imagine it is very close if not over that rating.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The first generation Eagletac T20c2 stepped down after a few minutes, the second gen XML doesn't.
The Klarus or newer Thrunite Scorpian have better User interfaces than the T20c2, Eagletac G25c2 is pretty awesome.

Fenix TK21 is also worth a look

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Xeno G42 V2 XM-L U2 is worth a look. The regulation is excellent on both 2 x CR123A and single 18650. Don't let the 530 lumens fool you, the lux more than compensates.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Xeno looks pretty sweet, If I was going to buy another light in the 2 cr123 form factor, it'd be the Sunwayman V20r
I love the magnetic control ring

likaboss

Newly Enlightened
How about thrunite tn12?

705 lumens for over an hour on 16340s, RCRs, CR123As, or 18650!

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Go to Lowes, and Get a Kobalt 500 Lumen Flashlight....takes two 123's....DONE.

Its rated at 500 ANSI Lumens....right on the box.

:hitit:

ledmitter

Enlightened
yes

selfbuilt did a Klarus XT-11 review and discovered it's specs are way understated and dumps a lot of light out

700 lumens out the front, and when it steps down, it is still above 500 ! which is more than the box states
"....with a common estimated ~530 lumens right after step-down at 3mins"....

plus many are posting that the UI (switches) are a very good design, and useful. instant strobe anytime
(self defense, mad dog stopper..etc) and 3 light levels. takes 2xcr123/2xrcr/1x18650. I have 5 (bought one,
did more research myself, said 'damn this is truly better than most lights, and bought 4 more to give out
to important peeps I know)

You picked up 5 XT11's?

Awesome.

Got mine also. Took off the clip and the tac holder.

Flashlight Enthusiast
You picked up 5 XT11's?

Awesome.

Got mine also. Took off the clip and the tac holder.

yup. took me 3 days with the first one and I was sold...
IMHO it is the best production tac/hunting/self-defense light with an XML, period...available now

ledmitter

Enlightened
yup. took me 3 days with the first one and I was sold...
IMHO it is the best production tac/hunting/self-defense light with an XML, period...available now

You keeping the ring and the clip on? I took them off and the light doesn't feel as clunky in the hand.