Recommend Thrower for AA Eneloop

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone knowledgeable recommend the best led thrower running either a single or dual AA.

I am aware that AA does not produce the brightest but I do not want to fuss over the batteries. I already have 30 rechargeable AA Eneloop 2000mah that I am using with my gps and other equipment. So I will just stick with AAs.

This is intended for general purpose usage while camping. I have Zebralight H51 for campsite use and now I want a thrower in my pocket. I also have the Fenix LD20.

Since it will work more of a searchlight, I am not after any spill. Just brightest and longest throw.
I read that aspheric lense helps. Any ready made lights that have that lense?

In terms of budget, I can go a few hundred if the quality justifies it. But please also suggest the value for money models / brands.
Thanks guys.

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quark AA^2 Turbos are on sale now in the mid $40s....

I'll second that suggestion. Basically if you are after a thrower, then a light with a deeper reflector and wider lens.

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
The quarks are good, but if you want a little more reliability (at a price), the E2L-AA is a good camping light. You could even throw a 110-lumen E1B head on it for a real pocket rocket.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Sorry. Noob here. What is the brand of the E2L-AA

If AoW has recommended it, most likely it be SureFire ;)

(BTW, in all seriousness, I agree that the throw from the SF E1B is really impressive given its small size ... it is one of the very best pocket throwers, though I prefer to run it in its smaller stock single CR123A configuation.)

Last edited:

Kokopelli

Enlightened
I have a Fenix LD40 with XPG emitter that throws really well. It uses 4xAA batteries so better check the size before you order online.

Fenix comes up with some new lights in the LD line. LD30 and LD50, and an upgraded LD40, LD41. These can be good throwers too. Other than these Olight has Baton series S35 and S65 those were said to be decent throwers. You'll definitely need an XRE or XPE led for pure throw in small packages, XPG for mid sized throwers and XML's for bigger ones.

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any of the original DEFTs or DEFT FTPs. They used 4 AAs iirc and did 150.000-200.000lux. Price should be around 400$ iirc.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
If AoW has recommended it, most likely it be SureFire ;)

(BTW, in all seriousness, I agree that the throw from the SF E1B is really impressive given its small size ... it is one of the very best pocket throwers, though I prefer to run it in its smaller stock single CR123A configuation.)

Indeed it was sure fire. It sells for twice the price of the others. Does it outperform others to that value?

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed it was sure fire. It sells for twice the price of the others. Does it outperform others to that value?

Define "out-perform"...

Simpler UI. Two settings, click-click. Which after awhile, you come to appreciate.
Not as bright, but bright enough...which, gives you more runtime for the cells
More durable
Better Warranty...an E2L-AA with last your life-time...I've had SF make good on the warranty of 20 year old flashlights...cost to me? Nothing...not even postage.
Runs good on Alkies, Lithiums, Eneloops (or white topped Duracells, i.e. Duraloops)

The quark is a good light for the cost...but, there is no doubt in my mind, the E2L-AA will be around a lot longer...and that, is figured into the price.