Acebeam        
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Boring service for Surefire® and other aluminum or titanium lights

Default Re: Boring service for Surefire® and other aluminum or titanium lights

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    All I can say is ...
    LOL

For reasons I cannot explain the longer lights, 3-cell & 4-cell, seem to turn out really well. I'll try to shoot an image or two of the 7Z so you can judge for yourself.

Have gone to a slightly different process that produces a very good result. Bore as usual, add an initial reaming operation followed by final reaming, triple hone using a lubricant that hadn't been tried before. Just when I think the process is finalized along comes another thing or two to try.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights* Please text msg, phone or email through contact page at www:Precision.Works

For those who need a bored light (or bored tube) right now - I have a few for sale. Prices & photos later today:

Complete lights, new in Surefire packaging:

M4

C3

C2

6P Defender

New bodies only:

6P Defender

C2

E2L (2 trits installed in clip slot)

All are bored to accept 18mm cells.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights* Please text msg, phone or email through contact page at www:Precision.Works

Quote Originally Posted by precisionworks View Post
    For those who need a bored light (or bored tube) right now - I have a few for sale. Prices & photos later today:

Complete lights, new in Surefire packaging:

M4

C3

C2

6P Defender

New bodies only:

6P Defender

C2

E2L (2 trits installed in clip slot)

All are bored to accept 18mm cells.
    how's the bored C2 either just body or full set so far as price?
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Default Boring service for Surefire® and other aluminum or titanium lights

How much is the E2L?

Thanks for bringing up your questions. Been doing customer work + honey do work (Christmas tree, lights, more lights, & still a few lights to finish).

Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post
    how's the bored C2 either just body or full set so far as price?
    All C2's are the hard anodized gray model.

Complete lights are brand new, still with Surefire packaging, great to give as a gift. Surefire batteries, lanyard, incan bulb & reflector, instructions, etc. are all included. Shipping included for $145 (USA) or $155 (Intl). Two are available.

Two bodies are available but one has very small markings from a fixture I used early on. Shipping included for $85 (USA) or $95 (Intl) on the perfect body & $10 less on the other one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Only one E2L body available, shown below with KS2 head (not included).

Shipping included for $145 (USA) or $155 (Intl).

For reasons I cannot explain the longer lights, 3-cell & 4-cell, seem to turn out really well. I'll try to shoot an image or two of the 7Z so you can judge for yourself.
    BTW, the light arrived not long after you sent it, sorry for not acknowledging receipt until now.
    It looks perfect and is very happy in its new configuration. Thanks again,

Just finished boring a SF LX2 for Brian C. but cannot find Brian's contact info ... please email.

EDIT: Found it
    Last edited by precisionworks; 01-23-2013 at 05:18 AM.

I wanted to post saying I received a C3-HA bored by Precision Works and it's absolutely, hands-down spectacular. As I noted to PW in an email, he clearly took incredible pride in his work as it was not only an extremely professional bore job, but he stayed in communication with me this entire time (from time of payment to my receiving the host).

I have no doubt that, when I get some more good 2+ Li-ion capable Malkoff modules, I'll send my 9P to the good people at PrecisionWorks to get that bored, too. The C3 I got from them (over at CPFMP) is in immaculate shape/condition and the bore specs they made it to even allow a rather larger/fat(ter) Callie's Kustom's 3100 mAh 18650 to slide in and out quite well (I realize the C3 isn't a single 18650 light, but I wanted to see just how wide it was bored to).

Thanks a whole lot Precision Works. You truly live up to your name.

-110% satisfied customer
    Last edited by tobrien; 02-16-2013 at 02:14 AM.
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.

Thanks a whole lot Precision Works. You truly live up to your name.

-110% satisfied customer
    Thank you for your kind words

Bored a SF Fury today. Setting up in a custom machined Delrin collet:

After the last boring bar pass:

Final reaming to size:

Finish after triple ball honing:

RE: the newer 3400 mAh Panasonic cells, as Zig Ziglar often said ... this is profound ... or at least it's a game changer.

All the prior Panasonic or AW 18650 cells through the 3100 mAh fit into every light I've bored. The only exception is the minimum bored E-series where you'll still need to sort through your cells & find the skinny ones that fit well. Panasonic is a big company & perhaps they felt they needed to make the 3400 bigger because it is

My "old" standard bore was 0.738" or 18.75mm. Never heard back from anyone about fitment issues with any cell.

The "new" standard bore is 0.744" or 18.90mm. Six thou doesn't amount to a hill of beans, roughly the thickness of two sheets of printer paper, but the 3400's that arrived this week have to have the extra six. Unless you enjoy hammering the cells in & out - don't laugh, it works sometimes.

If your cells measure super duper FAT, meaning they measure larger than the Panasonic 3400, I can ream to 0.750" or 19.05mm. Please don't assume anything on cell sizing but either measure your cells or send some along when having a light bored. 19.05mm is best avoided unless it is absolutely necessary.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On any light that's bored too small for the 3400 cells I'll be glad to enlarge the bore. If I bored the light please send it in with a $10 bill & it will be opened up to 18.90mm - the $10 includes return Priority shipping CONUS. On lights that were bored elsewhere the cost is $20 & that also includes return Priority shipping CONUS.

Default Boring service for Surefire® and other aluminum or titanium lights

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On any light that's bored too small for the 3400 cells I'll be glad to enlarge the bore. If I bored the light please send it in with a $10 bill & it will be opened up to 18.90mm - the $10 includes return Priority shipping CONUS. On lights that were bored elsewhere the cost is $20 & that also includes return Priority shipping CONUS.
    I don't own any lights from your stable yet but I will soon.
    Your offer to redo them speaks volume for me.
    Well done.

RE: the SF P2X Fury, impressive performance on the new 3400 mAh cell. Final dot (lower right) is 50L @ 145 minutes. Time (across bottom) is every 5 minutes.

Last edited by precisionworks; 02-28-2013 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benchiew View Post
    I don't own any lights from your stable yet but I will soon.
    Your offer to redo them speaks volume for me.
    Well done.
    Thank you for your kind words.

Milky sent an LX2 that he'd modded with his MOAL magic. Nearly 600 lumens OTF on my shop built sphere

The owner wanted to run 1x18650 so this job is similar to boring an E-series tube. The biggest difference is that the battery sits farther down in the E-tube while it's a bit closer to the head in the LX2.

Preparing for surgery - digital readout, inside micrometer, 0.7283" (18.5mm) reamer:

Finished with 18650 fully seated:

Question, is the driver in the LX2 the same as in the Fury?
    Reason I ask is you bored a Fury and found the driver worked on one 18650,

Can a stock LX2 run on one Li-Ion?

I have a new LX2 and love the light but am seeking a much greater output but with a Li-Ion cell behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbean View Post
    Question, is the driver in the LX2 the same as in the Fury?

Can a stock LX2 run on one Li-Ion?

... am seeking a much greater output but with a Li-Ion cell behind it.
    To the first question, I have no idea. Someone on CPF, probably one of the electron gurus like JustinCase, might know the answer.

Your second question ties into the first. My unscientific guess is that it may, meaning that it also may not.

Question #3 is the easiest to answer - you absolutely will not get more lumens out of 1x18650 compared to 2xCR123. If the LX2 driver is similar to the Fury the runtime in regulation may be significantly longer. Here's what this is based on using Fury numbers:

Current draw on 2xCR123 = 1770 mA & 100% brightness (better to use percentages than lumens in this case)

Current draw on 1x18650 = 1770 mA & 100% brightness.

Which indicates that the Fury driver maintains a constant 1770 mA draw with either power source - no matter if it's as high as 6.3 volts or as low as 2.8 volts the driver keeps the voltage seen at the emitter constant & the current stays constant.

To get more lumens requires a trip to the day spa & Milky (Scott) is high on everyone's list. Probably others here that can mod your light but Scott has BTDT many many times. FWIW more lumens means a higher drive level & shorter runtime but 1x18650 beats the heck out of 2xCR123 every day of the week.

To the first question, I have no idea. Someone on CPF, probably one of the electron gurus like JustinCase, might know the answer.

Your second question ties into the first. My unscientific guess is that it may, meaning that it also may not.

Question #3 is the easiest to answer - you absolutely will not get more lumens out of 1x18650 compared to 2xCR123. If the LX2 driver is similar to the Fury the runtime in regulation may be significantly longer. Here's what this is based on using Fury numbers:

Current draw on 2xCR123 = 1770 mA & 100% brightness (better to use percentages than lumens in this case)

Current draw on 1x18650 = 1770 mA & 100% brightness.

Which indicates that the Fury driver maintains a constant 1770 mA draw with either power source - no matter if it's as high as 6.3 volts or as low as 2.8 volts the driver keeps the voltage seen at the emitter constant & the current stays constant.

To get more lumens requires a trip to the day spa & Milky (Scott) is high on everyone's list. Probably others here that can mod your light but Scott has BTDT many many times. FWIW more lumens means a higher drive level & shorter runtime but 1x18650 beats the heck out of 2xCR123 every day of the week.
    Thanks for the info, it may indeed be making a trip soon, Lol...

I appreciate the facts there, I had a chance to get it out in the woods tonight and it makes me really want to get a Fury and send it to you to bore,

I would only want more output with a modified head on the LX2, but it's an interesting form factor, Indoors the low is nice, the spot is small, spill is
    ok but with an interesting ring in the outer edge of the beam, Then on high you could easily spot a target within range, or even outdoors also, it does throw well for what it is.

I am used to the switch on my Protac HL so it will take some time getting to the two stage switch, but I do like the switch, in a Tactical situation I do like the Protac and also the Fury switch design,

Now I need to find out how the driver regulates output to the LED, in other words if I have the LED replaced, with say a warmer XM-L, I am curious what,y low and high are going to be,

It will come on when supplied with power from a 17670 AW, :-) just have to hold the head on the positive and use a connecting wire to the negative, So know I know it will power on with the Li-Ion,

Do you plan on selling pre-bored Fury models soon???

IMO the LX2 is really impressive, especially considering the small head diameter. Scott can certainly work some magic on it & he's been known to double or triple the output of some lights.

The Fury has the advantage of a larger diameter & very deep reflector (+ the XM-L). It is the #1 choice today among the LEO's that I talk with. Hard to beat a light that does so much for a low price.

I'd buy Fury's in quantity & bore them if I had a source. For LEO-Mil-FF-EMT the turnaround is 24-48 hours (not days) & price is reduced $6.

10-4,

I'll be in touch once I have some more cash saved, Lol...

I need to contact Milky and see what he recommends for an LED change,

Appreciate the dis-count, I am not a sworn LEO yet, going through BLET in the fall.

For real though, all the Officers who have seen the Protac HL love the concept, an XM-L, low output works great, if you need Hi,
    go for it.... However I really need to be able to run an 18650 in it... So Surefire here I come...with a Fury.

And my second favorite light has become my G3 with 2AA Eneloops with a Malkoff M31, It'sa great room lighter...

Back on Track....

I need to buy both a Fury and a P2ZX and swap heads and tails, I want that dual stage clicky with the combat body... Bored of course...

yeah the Fury P2X Defender (P2XD?) is currently just $125.95 on Amazon and if you're a Prime member you get free two-day shipping. someone stop me

when i do get this light it's going to PW for the o-ring grip mod

Fury P2X Defender (P2XD?) is currently just $125.95 on Amazon
    That's as low as I've seen.

Botach is selling the Fury Tactical (without cren bezel) for $108.99 + free shipping on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Surefire-P2X...item565093fda0

That's as low as I've seen.

Botach is selling the Fury Tactical (without cren bezel) for $108.99 + free shipping on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Surefire-P2X...item565093fda0
    well I just picked one up from amazon for a little over $117 now and I get free two-day Prime shipping. I'll be sending my Fury to you before my 9P and m2 I emailed you about so I can get some grip rings installed on it that you do

Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post
    ... I'll be sending my Fury to you before my 9P and m2 I emailed you about so I can get some grip rings installed ...
    Sounds like a plan. Everything about the Fury is well done except the too slick grip. If you need a clip DarkSucks makes a nice titanium clip that fits the Fury perfectly.

I have a new LX2 and love the light but am seeking a much greater output but with a Li-Ion cell behind it.
    A friend of mine is a retired LEO and sells tactical-duty flashlights. He suggested a light I'd not heard about, the PowerTac E5. Similar in size to an E-series or L-series SF but has four levels & 700L maximum output. Sadly it does not need to be bored as it comes already sized for 18650

Nothing I could do to it but add a McG clip:

http://www.tacticalleds.com/

Quality compares with Nitecore which is to say excellent.

If you're looking for a ready to run bored 6P I just listed four in The Marketplace.

If you're looking for a ready to run bored 6P I just listed four in The Marketplace.
    Thanks for mine.

Barry,

i sent an email via your website for some quotes. Just a heads up.

thanks brother.
    Chris
    -Chr1s-
    Got Lights? USE EM!!

Quote Originally Posted by beach honda View Post
    ... i sent an email via your website for some quotes ...
    Chris,
    I saw the email but it disappeared into The Black Hole before I could reply (deleting an email on the iPhone5 deletes anything that's in the desktop inbox) - please resend & I'll answer right away.

The shop has never had its own computer but a 10" tablet is inbound. Should help a ton replying fast to emails (which are a pain on a business card sized touch screen) & will also allow customers to see examples of parts they may want.

Misplaced my McGizmo Ti PD-S somewhere in the shop & decided it's time for a clean up - not sure exactly where the PD-S is located but certain it's under something. One problem with a 2100 sq ft workspace is that it allows me to work on quite a few projects on different benches, piling each bench higher & higher until the top is no longer visible

Actual photo of work in progress on a Winchester 42 with a sticky slide release. Bench will likely never look this clean again

Barry,

I sadly sold all of my surefires (not because I wanted to), EXCEPT the ONE C2 I had bored by you. Pristine job you did and I HAD to keep a P60 host, so I thank you for the fine machine work. Now it sports an SW01 fatty, a 5 cren black Xeno bezel, a super sweet custom lanyard from my friend JCalvert, and all it needs now it a Prometheus pocket clip and a super duper XML from Nailbender.

My questions:

1. What is the largest capacity (currently available) 18650 cell from AW that will fit the standard bore you originally did for me without needing the "newer battery bore service" that you are now providing?

2. It's $10 to enlarge the bore for a previously "Barry-bored light", correct?

3. How much to tap screw holes into my 18650 HDS battery tube to accommodate a McGizmo clip I have lying around?

thanks. If you are able to respond via PM, that would be great...otherwise I will just check back in.

Cheers,
    Chris

p.s. I hope you find your PD-S!
    -Chr1s-
    Got Lights? USE EM!!

PW, as you know, I'll be sending my 9P (bore) and my Fury (bore + grip ring mod) for your services tomorrow.

I'll try and take some decent pictures when all is said and done to show people your work

Chris,

My PM's have been disabled for a couple of years but email through my website is a quick way to contact me ... or post here as the tablet & iPhone both alert me to activity on this thread.

1. What is the largest capacity (currently available) 18650 cell from AW that will fit the standard bore you originally did for me without needing the "newer battery bore service" that you are now providing?
    Until just a month ago all my lights finished out at 0.738" (18.75mm). I don't have a list of sizes for AW batteries but measuring his battery (or any other 18650) will indicate if it will fit or not. Rotate the cell a full turn while watching the caliper & leave the caliper at the largest measurement. The strip that runs down the side of most protected cells means they are fatter when measured to include strip thickness.

2. It's $10 to enlarge the bore for a previously "Barry-bored light", correct?
    Exactly. I'll enlarge any light that I've bored to 0.744" (18.90mm) & that accommodates all the cells including the Panasonic 3400 mAh.

3. How much to tap screw holes into my 18650 HDS battery tube to accommodate a McGizmo clip I have lying around?
    I've never drilled & tapped any HDS lights so that mod is better done by someone else. Jeff Hanko would be my first choice for that.

Thanks for the quick answers Barry!

im going to stick with the AW 3100s for now. If I decide to increase bore size, I shall let you know!

cheers!
    Chris
    -Chr1s-
    Got Lights? USE EM!!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast