The Fenix-Store        
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Boring service for Surefire® and other aluminum or titanium lights

Default Re: Boring service for Surefire® and other aluminum or titanium lights

On the first page you bored a Surefire E1e for 18350. As I understand this leaves it quite thin in the threads area, especially under the o-ring.

Do you think the light will still be robust enough for normal use or will it need babying?

Default Boring service for Surefire® and other aluminum or titanium lights

I cannot tell you how many e-series lights I've bored but it's quite a few And no one has had a failure as far as I know. That particular area of the light appears to be not highly stressed As I am not gentle with my personal lights and have not managed to destroy any.

YMMV

Barry Milton
    Precision-Gunsmithing.com
    iPhone5 voice recognition
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights* Please text msg, phone or email through contact page at www:Precision.Works

Thanks for answering Barry.
    I asked myself few times the same question posted from bj. Now I'm sure the threads of the body who screws into the head are tough enought for an intensive use, considering it's the only access to insert the battery!

Last edited by erehwyrevekool; 05-02-2013 at 03:53 PM.

Barry. I sent you an email detailed in your website pertaining boring services for the Elzetta 2 & 3 cell body to accept the 18mm cells. Did you get it?
    Essentially I wanted to know if you have previously bored the Elzetta and is it technically possible. Would also like to know the charges for the work.
    Thank you.

I did not receive your email and since everything gets forwarded to the iPhone you may want to resend it. To answer your question I am just about certain that the elzetta will bore Much like a surefire So I don't anticipate any surprises.

2-cell lights are $42 & 3-cell lights are $50 + Return shipping

Barry Milton
    Last edited by precisionworks; 05-02-2013 at 07:09 PM.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights* Please text msg, phone or email through contact page at www:Precision.Works

Do you require the bezel and tailcap to be included when I ship the body to you? Perhaps for testing after boring?

No need to send the complete light. Please remove O-rings, clip, etc. & send body only.

Barry Milton

Quote Originally Posted by precisionworks View Post
    No need to send the complete light. Please remove O-rings, clip, etc. & send body only.

Barry Milton
    Your email received. We will proceed with emails. Thanks.

A quick update for those of you who've sent lights in ... every light received 3/23/13 and after is shown below, still in shipping cartons:

Spring is traditionally the busiest time for my shop. Emergency repairs & rush jobs take priority but all the other work is just as important to me. Hoping to get all these done sooner than later. No date certain as there's no way to predict my out of shop workload but these lights will be machined & returned as quickly as I can get to them.

On top of all that my PayPal account is empty & it needs to be refilled

A quick update for those of you who've sent lights in ... every light received 3/23/13 and after is shown below, still in shipping cartons:

Spring is traditionally the busiest time for my shop. Emergency repairs & rush jobs take priority but all the other work is just as important to me. Hoping to get all these done sooner than later. No date certain as there's no way to predict my out of shop workload but these lights will be machined & returned as quickly as I can get to them.

On top of all that my PayPal account is empty & it needs to be refilled
    I see me

— Sent from my unreleased, next generation iPad 44 running iOS M (to be released in the year 2036).
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post
    I see me

— Sent from my unreleased, next generation iPad 44 running iOS M (to be released in the year 2036).
    OMG. Mine only arrived in May. Hopefully I don't see 2014 before I see my lights again.
    LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Benchiew View Post
    OMG. Mine only arrived in May. Hopefully I don't see 2014 before I see my lights again.

Actually your timing is good. Once I start on that backlog of lights I'll go through all those that are in the shop. Getting closer, have just a handful of fires to put out before the machining starts on lights.

That is good to hear Barry. So as it turns out, my timing is very precise to catch you at the turn of your schedule.
    Yahoo. Can't wait to see that mirror finishing that your work is famous for.

... as it turns out, my timing is very precise to catch you at the turn of your schedule.
    The boring has begun & those lights here the longest will ship out Monday June 17 Each owner is notified by email as soon as their light/lights are finished & I have a tracking number.

That is good news. Mine should be last but I least it has started to move. Looking forward to it.

at least it has started to move.
    5 bored on Saturday

1 on Sunday (wife made me quit, something about Father's Day)

8 bored today.

Starting to see the workbench again

Great. Mine is so close I could almost smell it.

Great. Mine is so close I could almost smell it.
    LOL, I actually saw your light this morning & that's the first time I've seen it since it arrived

LOL, I actually saw your light this morning & that's the first time I've seen it since it arrived
    That is good news Barry, seeing it for the first time is a good start. A step towards the right direction.
    Take your time with it.
    Thanks for doing the job for me.
    Last edited by BenChiew; 06-20-2013 at 07:54 AM.

Y'all be on the lookout today for a review of Barry's work.

Spoiler: he gets an A+ in my upcoming review (obviously)

— Sent from my unreleased, next generation iPad 44 running iOS 'M' (to be released in the year 2036) that Steve Jobs gave me personally using Tapatalk QuadHD 7 posted by TweetDeck 97.5.2.

edit: it's posted!!: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...rip-ring-mods) -- enjoy y'all!
    Last edited by tobrien; 06-20-2013 at 05:08 AM.
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.

Thank you for taking the time to do a very thorough review. I appreciate you posting the images & the information.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had all day Friday planned for flashlight boring but received an early morning call from a nearby sawmill. Overhead T-joint on 3/4" thick steel plate with very limited access for either the grinder of the welding stinger. High temp that day was 92° F

Ground out the broken weld before lunch (3 hours) & started welding right after lunch (3 hours). Makes me appreciate working in an air conditioned shop And that's where I'll be Monday morning, machining your lights.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 06-24-2013 at 02:43 AM.

... boring services for the Elzetta 2 & 3 cell body to accept the 18mm cells.
    Your two Elzetta lights are next in line, then a SF Z2, then ... all caught up

The Elzetta shares the same tail O-ring dimension as all full size Surefires & the body diameter is similar but about .25mm smaller than a 6P. Both the 6P & the 6PX fixtures are much too large & I have to machine a new Delrin fixture for the Elzettas - hope to have the fixture built & your lights bored within a week.

You are a champ Barry. Look forward to seeing the pair.

Machined a Delrin split collet specifically for the Elzetta. Took a bit of calculating to figure out the different inside bore diameters but the light shows under .001" total runout before boring begins.

Machined a Delrin split collet specifically for the Elzetta. Took a bit of calculating to figure out the different inside bore diameters but the light shows under .001" total runout before boring begins.

Is runout basically how much metal on the body there is to work with? I don't know any machining terminology but I will say I looked up collet and it appears that's the thing that holds X piece being worked on in place so you can bore it, etc.?

— Sent from my unreleased, next generation iPad 44 running iOS 'M' (to be released in the year 2036) that Steve Jobs gave me personally using Tapatalk QuadHD 7 posted by TweetDeck 97.5.2.

Is runout basically how much metal on the body there is to work with?
    Runout (aka Total Runout or Total Indicated Runout) is a measurement of how well a part is centered in relation to the long axis of the lathe. Ideally the centerline of the light should exactly run along the axis of the lathe so that the new bore is exactly centered in relation to the outside of the body. Centering the light avoids the bore being closer to the body on one side & farther on the other side:

I looked up collet and it appears that's the thing that holds X piece being worked on in place so you can bore it, etc.?
    Exactly. The collet (white cylinder surrounding the light) allows tightly gripping the body without marking it.

Runout (aka Total Runout or Total Indicated Runout) is a measurement of how well a part is centered in relation to the long axis of the lathe. Ideally the centerline of the light should exactly run along the axis of the lathe so that the new bore is exactly centered in relation to the outside of the body. Centering the light avoids the bore being closer to the body on one side & farther on the other side:

Exactly. The collet (white cylinder surrounding the light) allows tightly gripping the body without marking it.
    gotcha, thank you. So the Elzetta body wasn't machined as well as it could've been originally because it wasn't perfectly centered by their machining?

... So the Elzetta body wasn't machined as well as it could've been originally because it wasn't perfectly centered by their machining?
    No, most every manufacturer of high quality lights centers the bore exactly. The potential problem occurs in the machine shop where multiple errors can really mess things up ...

The chuck may be old, worn out, damaged by a crash, etc., & it may introduce a ton of runout.

The collet is another potential source of error if it is machined in a bad chuck.

Indicating in a part is done to eliminate or reduce shop errors & center the part in the lathe as well as the manufacturer centered it when making it.

Woohoo. That should be my light there.

You just may be right

Barry Milton

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast