• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Eiger Ultra & Ultra X Models

archimedes

Flashaholic
Glad to hear of some new models ... this forum had been too quiet recently ;)

EDIT: Thanks again for keeping us updated.

Last edited:

jorgen

Enlightened
My UltraX arrived yesterday. It is a handsome and well balanced unit with a lot more throw than a regular Eiger.
The QTC ramping is smooth and because it is direct drive I anticipate a much longer run time. I like this light more than any of my other AAA.

Now that RMSK will be handling customer service, I feel more confident that I will get good service if any problems surface in one of my peak lights. He is a good person to deal with. He does what he says he will and does things quickly and efficiently.

I was, frankly, on the fence about buying more Peaks after reading some of the posts from other CPFers about how slow Peak's is in responding to anything. It is definitely a right move on Curt's part to hire Bob to handle customer service. and I will no longer be reading the kind of complaints about "no response' from Peak" that have been appearing. I take these things into consideration when deciding which brand of new light to buy and it is important, to me, that the brand I choose stands behind their product with decent waranty service.

austinguy23

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have more pics or, even better, a video reviewing the lights? I'm curious how big it is (a keychain pic would be nice), how long it can be on high until it becomes uncomfortably hot, etc.

The product page makes the battery situation seem complicated. Is there a basic how-to I should read before using these Li-ion batteries?

By the way, why does the brass model come with two options - one with a lug attachment and one with a "key" attachment? I ask because they both appear to utilize the same size split ring and they look otherwise identical.

Last edited:

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
The product page makes the battery situation seem complicated. Is there a basic how-to I should read before using these Li-ion batteries?

By the way, why does the brass model come with two options - one with a lug attachment and one with a "key" attachment? I ask because they both appear to utilize the same size split ring and they look otherwise identical.
Lithium-ion batteries pack a lot of power into a small area, which increases their potential risk compared to other types of rechargeable batteries, so it's smart to learn the simple ways to safely handle and use them.

Here's a great place to start:
Battery University:
http://batteryuniversity.com/

The main points are to NOT overcharge the battery and don't let it discharge to much either. Protected cells have a special circuit added to help prevent either of those two situations. Many lights also have a special circuit to cut off the light if it goes below a certain voltage.

By the way, lithium-ion cells LIKE being charged frequently, so it's ok to "top off" your battery as often as you like, which means you can always leave the house with a fully charged battery!

Finally, don't leave any lithium-ion cell charging unattended, and always place the charger on a non combustible surface "just in case". The chances of anything happening are quite low, but an ounce of prevention..............

Don't let all this scare you away from using lithium-ion rechargeable cells, as they help provide us with super small lights that can really pack a punch, like the Eiger X..... and with only minor precautions they can be used quite safely.

As to the lug vs keyring option. The lug body will be shorter and the loop is permanently attached (so no tail standing), while the keyring body will be longer and the attachment point actually screws out, which allows both tail standing of the light or adding an optional screw-in mechanical momentary switch.

Some models also offer a "Pocket" body which has no split ring attachment point. This is usually the shortest of the 3 bodies.

For your best info on all Peak lights, go to the RMSK website during the day. Bob is usually available for a LIVE CHAT, and he will happy to answer all your PEAK questions.

austinguy23

Newly Enlightened
Lithium-ion batteries pack a lot of power into a small area, which increases their potential risk compared to other types of rechargeable batteries, so it's smart to learn the simple ways to safely handle and use them.

Here's a great place to start:
Battery University:
http://batteryuniversity.com/

The main points are to NOT overcharge the battery and don't let it discharge to much either. Protected cells have a special circuit added to help prevent either of those two situations. Many lights also have a special circuit to cut off the light if it goes below a certain voltage.

By the way, lithium-ion cells LIKE being charged frequently, so it's ok to "top off" your battery as often as you like, which means you can always leave the house with a fully charged battery!

Finally, don't leave any lithium-ion cell charging unattended, and always place the charger on a non combustible surface "just in case". The chances of anything happening are quite low, but an ounce of prevention..............

Don't let all this scare you away from using lithium-ion rechargeable cells, as they help provide us with super small lights that can really pack a punch, like the Eiger X..... and with only minor precautions they can be used quite safely.

As to the lug vs keyring option. The lug body will be shorter and the loop is permanently attached (so no tail standing), while the keyring body will be longer and the attachment point actually screws out, which allows both tail standing of the light or adding an optional screw-in mechanical momentary switch.

Some models also offer a "Pocket" body which has no split ring attachment point. This is usually the shortest of the 3 bodies.

For your best info on all Peak lights, go to the RMSK website during the day. Bob is usually available for a LIVE CHAT, and he will happy to answer all your PEAK questions.

Thanks.