Acebeam        
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tritium slot machining

Default Re: Tritium slot machining & installation

Now, this stunner needs to marry your drop-in.
    +1

If you haven't seen Mathew's drop-in it is superb. Beautiful tint, nicely spaced levels, good beam distribution. IMO it's a bargain at only $125. I'm guessing the next batch will sell out more quickly than the first.

The FETtie switch in the tail is a good clue that the P60 is amped up. 4500mA to be exact.

OT: My daughter says that the machining comes out better when standing on the mat she gave me:

Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights* Please text msg, phone or email through contact page at www:Precision.Works

Norm posted a source for large trits that I knew nothing about - kuku427

Certainly was well aware that Steve sells a number of smaller sizes & colors but he also sells Medium & X-Large sizes. Good pricing & delivery anywhere by international registered air mail for $2.00 USD.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?232068-Tritium-markers-in-9-colors!-Ordered-fresh-once-a-month
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights* Please text msg, phone or email through contact page at www:Precision.Works

Quote Originally Posted by precisionworks View Post
    Thank you for your kind words Dan

Had planned to set the tail trits in Norland after dinner but SWMBO had other ideas. Trits go in first thing tomorrow but here's the finish milled tail:

Same setup with slightly different lighting:

IMO the additional slots add more visual balance to the tail. Always a pleasure to work with anything TnC, whether aluminum or titanium, as the machining is so well executed.
    I don't have any trit slots in my Ti TNC host.....

Quote Originally Posted by nfetterly View Post
    I don't have any trit slots in my Ti TNC host.....
    I'd noticed that the P60 host is available both without slots or with 8 head slots & 6 tail slots. One interesting thing about the no slot bodies is that you can be really creative with what is done:

(marked up image, illustration purposes only).

I wish I didn't visit this thread I can see im going to be spending even more money in the future................... the work is just so clean amazing work!
    WTB- Spyderco Para2. Oveready sure x300 weapon light.

Hi Barry, I believe I am a tritaholic as well as I love seeing your work and all the many tritted-out lights, although I have none of my own yet.

Could you put any trits in a McGizmo Sapphire? If so, what areas, how many, what size(s), etc...? I would like to put in quite a few as it is my keychain light and I would like it to be something truly special.

I welcome your ideas and suggestions.
    "Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Looking for a Malkoff Titanium VME head.

Could you put any trits in a McGizmo Sapphire? If so, what areas, how many, what size(s), etc...?
    All of Don's CR-123 powered lights have lots of possible trit locations. The Sapphire has very few. Looking at mine the area near the key ring boss looks like it would accept a 1.5x5mm trit on each side:

Not totally sure about this without taking measurements. It sounds like you want far more than two trits & I don't see any other likely locations.

Fair enough. I wondered about that after looking at my sapphire as there isn't much extra thickness to work with. Your suggestion sounds good. I will be getting a few trits and contact you when I am ready. Thanks for your help.
    "Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

Looking for a Malkoff Titanium VME head.

Quote Originally Posted by socom1970 View Post
    ... there isn't much extra thickness to work with.
    You hit it on the head. AFAIK there is no other McGizmo that's thinner. Even the smallest & thinnest 1.5mm trit needs a good bit of real estate for the slot.

Looking forward to working with you

Flashaholic*

Have you ever machined slots on a Peak? there doesn't seem to be alot to work with, and the heads are fully potted, so they can't be disassembled. Maybe somewhere on the body?
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by jabe1 View Post
    Have you ever machined slots on a Peak?
    No, at least not yet. The tube is a possibility but without measuring I can't say one way or the other.

Flashaholic

How thick is the metal on the base? I have a pocket body cr123 logan and the base seems the only possibility. I dont have calipers to measure it.

Cheers,
    Nova

I have a pocket body cr123 logan and the base seems the only possibility.
    +1

Still need to measure to be certain that the trit will fit ...

Last edited by precisionworks; 09-04-2012 at 04:14 AM.

Hello Barry!
    It was recommended that i should get some trit work done by you because your one of the best! I have a Sunwayman V10R TI+ that I would like to put some trit into. I was thinking into the switch and the tail. Would you be willing to take on the this project?

Is there an email I can better contact you with?

Flashaholic*

If you can tell me the slot dimensions, I can measure a few Peak bodies for possible trit locations.

Also, steve (Kuku427) has some 1x3mm available in green. Is it too risky to mill a fully potted head? I'd be worried about vibrations damaging the LED.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pibbxtra19 View Post
    ... I have a Sunwayman V10R TI+ that I would like to put some trits into. I was thinking into the switch and the tail. Would you be willing to take on the this project?

Is there an email I can better contact you with?
    Love to work on your Ti+. Please email to PrecisionWorksWelding AT gmail DOT com.

tell me the slot dimensions, I can measure a few Peak bodies for possible trit locations.
    That's great of you to offer. Width is 1.5mm, length is 5.75mm, depth is 1.75mm.

Is it too risky to mill a fully potted head? I'd be worried about vibrations damaging the LED.
    I've done it before but that is no guarantee that the emitter/driver will be unaffected. The end mill tool is spinning at 3000 rpm, has practically zero run out & produces only a tiny vibration level. Dropping the light onto concrete decelerates the emitter/driver at something over 100 g's and less than 1000 g's. They usually work after that & milling generates on a fraction of a g.

Barry,

I noticed a picture of mojandude's quantum DD battery capsule that he milled for trit slots and was wondering if you could do the same?

Here is the link: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...-Supply!/page4 (bottom of page)

Let me know what you think and maybe pm me a price quote.

Thanks,
    CB
    -Chr1s-
    Got Lights? USE EM!!

Quote Originally Posted by beach honda View Post
    Barry,

... quantum DD battery capsule milled for trit slots ...
    Any design, any light, any metal

IMO these designs are more interesting ... (see next post)

Barry milled a few Surefire C2's for me to include two 2.5 x 24 mm green trits. He also milled the end of a Lummi Raw Al for two extra ice blue trits. I can't say enough about the work he did. I'm sorry it took me so long to post these pics Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by precisionworks View Post

This is/was awesome...I have two of these glasses that NEED this treatment.

I guess I am not clear why this cannot be done on an Aeon? I see you doing it to seemingly much smaller lights on this thread...is there something odd about the Aeon construction?
    --------------------
    He is the light!

Quote Originally Posted by medieval View Post
    Barry milled a few Surefire C2's for me to include two 2.5 x 24 mm green trits. He also milled the end of a Lummi Raw Al for two extra ice blue trits. I can't say enough about the work he did. I'm sorry it took me so long to post these pics Barry.
    Thank you for your kind words. No apologies needed, your images are waaaay better than those I've taken Thanks for posting those.

... I am not clear why this cannot be done on an Aeon?
    Perhaps slots can be milled somewhere on the Aeon but I've studied mine extensively & cannot find enough depth anywhere. The Aeon is like a super model, not a bit of fat anywhere. Many lights are overbuilt (McGizmo & Surefire for instance). Others are pared down as much as possible. I'll be happy to mill slots where ever you want but they may compromise the integrity of the light.

Default Re: Tritium slot machining

I've finally decided to stop offering Norland installation of your trit vials.

Why? Two reasons ... I don't enjoy doing the Norland installations & it is not profitable because my standards are unrealistically high. Since I will not consider lowering my standards the only choice is to stop offering this service.

Please don't get me wrong, I thoroughly like the machining work but Norland is not machining. My new high power UV curing lamp will sell quickly on eBay & someone else on CPF will be happy to do this work.

Thanks in advance to everyone here & I hope all of you will understand why this service is no longer available.

Default Tritium slot machining

Just curious. When installing trits in a haiku tail, facing front to back (like you Mac Edc), does it fit 1.55x6mm trits, or is 5mm better?

Default Re: Tritium slot machining

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    ... When installing trits in a Haiku tail, facing front to back (like you Mac Edc), does it fit 1.55x6mm trits, or is 5mm better?
    The Haiku doesn't work well with front to back slotting in the tail. The issue is the O-ring groove that water proofs the switch & retains the rubber switch boot. The groove is located close enough to the surface that a trit slot will cut into the groove. The red dashed line shows where the groove starts:

From the outside:

Mac's EDC doesn't have an O-ring in that location so the slots can go front to back:

To answer your question, either the 5mm or 6mm length works fine in a Haiku as long as the orientation is like the first two images.

Love the long 24mm trit on the C2s.
    Quote Originally Posted by medieval View Post

Quote Originally Posted by grayhighh View Post
    Love the long 24mm trit on the C2s.
    +1

Those are a bit of a challenge to get in exactly the right place. I use a 45X centering microscope with cross hair (rifle scope) reticule. There zero room for error

Have you had a chance to look at a SPY007, in particular, is there enough metal in the grooves of the Rail Adaptor? There are 3 grooves in there, I have glued a small trit there now, but it does stick out past the protective bits. If it could be recessed a tiny bit, that would be an awesome place to place 3 trits.

Quote Originally Posted by Launch Mini View Post
    ... is there enough metal in the grooves of the Rail Adaptor? There are 3 grooves in there ...
    Holding my 007 in hand as we speak & just removed the battery compartment cover. No easy way to measure this but IMO the remaining thickness is close to 0.00000"

I wouldn't try it on my own light & I certainly wouldn't try it on yours.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 10-22-2012 at 09:28 AM.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast