Battery Junction - Olight
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mechanical Modding Services

Default Re: Mechanical Modding Services

Quote Originally Posted by ^^Nova^^ View Post
    Is there enough meat in the body and extender to bore to 18mm (will allow the use of 18500 and 18350 if the body is long enough).
    Barry'll be along soon enough and correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe there's enough metal for you to either have the tube reduced (as I did) or to have it bored for the 18350.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    ... I do believe there's enough metal for you to either have the tube reduced (as I did) or to have it bored for the 18350.
    We must have hit "Post Reply" at exactly the same second

You're exactly right Pete. With careful & very precise centering the V10R is as good a candidate for 18mm as any small light. The tube can be reduced as well as long as the minimum outside diameter is at least as large as the O-ring groove outside diameter.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights, gun repairs, blueing & custom work * PM's disabled * Please Email & PayPal through www:Precision.Works

Quote Originally Posted by precisionworks View Post
    We must have hit "Post Reply" at exactly the same second

You're exactly right Pete. With careful & very precise centering the V10R is as good a candidate for 18mm as any small light. The tube can be reduced as well as long as the minimum outside diameter is at least as large as the O-ring groove outside diameter.
    Apparently you were one second ahead of me.

Might be a nice combination for someone wanting more power but who, like me, found the stock dimensions a bit much for cigar-grip. You're sure seeing a lot of V10R Ti's lately!
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

You're sure seeing a lot of V10R Ti's lately!
    Ever since it was first introduced the V10R has had a following. Interesting that many owners of high end custom Ti lights also have one or two of these & usually want them modded.

I just ordered a Nitecore TM11 & was told that it is has the worst ergonomics of any light on the market. I don't believe there's any way that the TM11 can feel any worse than an unmodded V10R. Which begs the question ... will there be images of a grip modded TM11 with trits?

Probably
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights, gun repairs, blueing & custom work * PM's disabled * Please Email & PayPal through www:Precision.Works

Ever since it was first introduced the V10R has had a following. Interesting that many owners of high end custom Ti lights also have one or two of these & usually want them modded.

I just ordered a Nitecore TM11 & was told that it is has the worst ergonomics of any light on the market. I don't believe there's any way that the TM11 can feel any worse than an unmodded V10R. Which begs the question ... will there be images of a grip modded TM11 with trits?

Probably
    That TM11 is begging for a whole new way of being held - like a whole new body!

LOL

It should have been shaped like a beer bottle & not like a beer can. I imagine it will feel like the 1 liter oil can that is used on the lathe.

FWIW they are again available for $150.

holy crap too much stuff to get done and not enough money. I had a couple questions for you. Is the stock metal push button thick enough to polish out the logo and mill 3 trit slots into it? Also i love the grooves you did to look like the haiku so how much will that cost to have done? I really want to see how yours come out too. Last to just to get clarification on how much for the bezel that is melted and blended? Thanks man this will give me an idea how much I need to convince the wife to be able to spend. i feel you when you talk about showing the wife the pics all the time i do the same and mostly get the same reaction.

Welcome to CPF blitz255

Is the stock metal push button thick enough to polish out the logo and mill 3 trit slots into it?
    It is far too thin to end up with a solid bottom under the vial.

i love the grooves you did to look like the Haiku so how much will that cost to have done?
    The Haiku Groove Mod is $75 + return shipping.

how much for the bezel that is melted and blended?
    To hand finish & blend crenelations & remove SWM etching is $60/8 slots or $75/12 slots.

this will give me an idea how much I need to convince the wife to be able to spend.
    I often forget to tell my wife about flashlights, knives, etc.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 10-06-2013 at 07:24 AM.

Thanks man i sent you an email too but it just says the same crap so just ignore that if you want.
    I figured that the stock one would not work for the trits.
    Would you be able to make and mill slots on a new push button? I like the ones that steve makes but he seems very busy and i dont want to wait around on a list for who knows how long and if i send you my light for all the maching i was hoping i could just get all of it done at once.

Quote Originally Posted by blitz255 View Post
    I figured that the stock one would not work for the trits.
    Would you be able to make and mill slots on a new push button?
    I was speaking to another machinist this morning about exactly what you want. He may be able to have some prototypes ready next week & I'll post back here with a link.

thanks email sent
    Last edited by blitz255; 05-29-2012 at 08:17 AM.

how weird i posted last week but the forum still says that you are the last one to post in here.

Nick, Thanks for your interest in these mods. I haven't replied to many emails since last Thursday (05-17-12) when a customer dropped an emergency repair at the shop door. Got that done on Friday & he brought in Emergency Repair #2. Shooting for late today to finish that one. I will email you right now.

no problem man I understand you have a business to run. I got your email just as you said and I will get it in the mail in the next couple of days. I knew they were changing the website around so I really was just curious if you were seeing my posts so that the reason for all the posts and the emails. Thanks for everything.

Barry,

Email sent.

Some members wanted an Ultra Groove Mod variation to make the V10R look more like a Haiku. I studied my Haiku for a while & drew up different sketches before doing this to my own (unmodified) V10R. Happy that it worked out OK so that this tube doesn't go into the Boat Anchor Collection

Started by mounting the V10R on an internal expanding 5C collet. Since this grips the inside of the light all turning mods will end up perfectly concentric with the bore. Collet on left below, tailstock live center on right.

The preliminary drawings suggested that 9 equally spaced grooves would work well so those were machined. Groove depth is the same as on a Haiku (or Ti McClickie Pak) and the grip is surprisingly good. The grooves were first machined to a depth of 0.10mm (too shallow), then to a depth of 0.25mm (getting closer) and finally to 0.40mm.

The image below shows how the Haiku has wide grooves & narrow lands while this modded V10R has wide lands & narrow grooves.

Last edited by precisionworks; 06-13-2012 at 04:20 AM.

Hi Barry, how much would a Haiku like mod cost? Or something like post #21? When this is done, is there enough metal left to bore to 18mm? 17mm?

Gunga,

The "Ultra Groove Mod" is $75 and so far there are three variations:

The original version, very grippy & full diameter on the peaks:

Version #2, done for Pete in Alaska. Minimum diameter for the grooves with the lands left .016" (0.4mm) higher:

The latest version is what I'd call "Haiku pattern". Again the same minimum tube diameter & the same height on the lands but there are more grooves & more lands:

The edges of each groove/land were left with almost no radius so that they feel sharp or aggressive in the hand. Nice grip, my favorite so far.

is there enough metal left to bore to 18mm? 17mm?
    No problem to bore for either 17mm or 18mm. Cost is $60 for either size bore.

FWIW post #1 in this thread contains lots of info.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: Bead blasting was offered until my friend sold his business & the bead blaster went away. Stone Washing(barrel tumbling) also gives a nice finish & there's no tiny glass bead grit in every possible hiding place. Details & pricing in post #2 of this thread.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 06-28-2012 at 06:54 AM.

How about a Haiku pattern with more radius, like version 2? Would that be possible? So version 2 is not that grippy compared to a stock Haiku? Wow, so it can be reduced to this size and bored for 18mm? WOW!

How about a Haiku pattern with more radius, like version 2?
    Certainly, not a problem.

version 2 is not that grippy compared to a stock Haiku?
    IMO no other light has ergonomics that are even close to the McGizmo Haiku. The V10R can be modded to look similar to the Haiku but it will never feel like the Haiku does, especially in the tail swell area. The reason is that there is a large diameter diff in the Haiku & the V10R lacks that:

If you want the best grip from the V10R Haiku pattern you'll want the groove & land edges left crisp. More radius (more bevel or softer transition) gives less grip. Because grip is so subjective it's sometimes hard to figure out what is best.

so it can be reduced to this size and bored for 18mm? WOW!
    Not a bit harder than a 30' putt at the U S Open Actually it's more like a 10 footer. Titanium bores very nicely and the V10R is no exception.

You're a golf fan I take it?

I saw Pete's modded v10r on the weekend (Alaska Pete) and was struck by its beautiful lines and flow. It is so much nicer than stock. I think I would want the same angles and feel as pattern 2 (notice the angle near the head is much gentler) but with more evenly spaced ridges, similar to the Haiku pattern.

It is truly beautiful and greatly enhances this light. I love the bling and Trit mods, but the body slimming mod is just beautiful and functional.

Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    You're a golf fan I take it?
    Watched most of the play on Sunday. One of the best & least predictable finishes I've ever seen. Webb Simpson (the winner) surely seems like a great young player.

I saw Pete's modded v10r on the weekend (Alaska Pete) and was struck by its beautiful lines and flow. It is so much nicer than stock. I think I would want the same angles and feel as pattern 2 (notice the angle near the head is much gentler) but with more evenly spaced ridges, similar to the Haiku pattern.

It is truly beautiful and greatly enhances this light. I love the bling and Trit mods, but the body slimming mod is just beautiful and functional.
    Thank you for your kind words.

Another member is having his V10R done in Haiku pattern & he also requested the bevel at the head:

That angle is easy enough to duplicate as it is exactly a match for one of my lathe turning inserts. IIRC it's 125° included angle from the horizontal tube surface.

The V10R can be modded to look similar to the Haiku but it will never feel like the Haiku does, especially in the tail swell area.

Because grip is so subjective it's sometimes hard to figure out what is best.
    While I'm carrying both the Haiku and V10R Ti full-time lately, they both feel perfect. If I play with the lights the smoother reduction you did for me feels nicer and and is my favorite.
    Quote Originally Posted by gunga View Post
    I saw Pete's modded v10r on the weekend (Alaska Pete) and was struck by its beautiful lines and flow. It is so much nicer than stock.
    Nothing but functionality perfected with Precision's finishing work second to none. Made one of my most uncomfortable lights for cigar-grip into a joy to hold and use.

Nothing but functionality perfected with Precision's finishing work second to none. Made one of my most uncomfortable lights for cigar-grip into a joy to hold and use.
    Thank you for your kind words Pete. I'm happy that the results are what you were looking for.

On the topic of finishing, specifically surface treatments, stone washing is an often mentioned topic on the forums. One of my long time customers wanted bead blast but I no longer offer that. Stone wash is a nice alternative to BB - it gives the light a patina look versus the more flat appearance of BB.

Found roughly 100 different types of media, narrowed that down to a dozen, got samples of five different types & settled on one. Selection of media is almost unlimited & that's just the start. The next step is to choose the density, shape, abrasiveness, etc.

McGizmo SunDrop after 48 hours of stone wash:

Thank you for your kind words Pete. I'm happy that the results are what you were looking for.

On the topic of finishing, specifically surface treatments, stone washing is an often mentioned topic on the forums. One of my long time customers wanted bead blast but I no longer offer that. Stone wash is a nice alternative to BB - it gives the light a patina look versus the more flat appearance of BB.
    Man I wish you'd been doing this finish when you had my light - how much to do this finish, and is there a possibility of batch pricing instead as opposed to single unit pricing? I'm not a fan of BB finishing at all, because of its inherent fragility, but stonewash never gets old since the finish is just made up of pre-applied abrasions and looks as good after years of hard use as it did the day it shipped. Can't say how happy I am to see you offering stonewashing and I bet a lot of titanium users will be having you do this finish at the same time as they have their custom work done.

how much to do this finish, and is there a possibility of batch pricing instead as opposed to single unit pricing?
    Price reduction is possible depending on the number of lights sent at one time. Email the details & I'll get pricing right back to you.

From post #2 here's "standard" pricing:

Small parts - pocket clips, bezels, etc. are $10 each.

Titanium or Stainless Lights:

Key chain size - $30

Single cell (1x123) are $50

Two cell (2x123) are $70. Price covers light with all attachments (body, head, bezel, clip, etc.) I will disassemble & reassemble your light or you may take it apart before you send it.

Please note: Minimum price to tumble any item is $50. That means that a single clip will cost $50 & five clips will also cost $50.

Stone washed SunDrop compared to my personal SunDrop:

All in all the stone wash is exactly what was desired. Still have a little work left on this SunDrop as there is one area that did not get burnished (red arrow below):

Not a big deal, just a few more hours in the barrel to make that match. Knew I should have waited to wash & dry the media & the tumbler. Reminds me of Yogi Berra's famous saying "It ain't over til it it's over."
    Last edited by precisionworks; 06-30-2012 at 09:36 AM.

Put one of my own V10R Ti lights into the tumbler yesterday. Looked at it this morning & it's just starting to color.

EDIT on July 4 - added a pair of factory bead blasted Sebenza scales which were starting to show some wear marks. Also added a ZT0560 titanium scale.

Will post photos as each part reaches the 72 hour mark.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 07-04-2012 at 08:24 AM.

The V10R Ti was left in the stone wash until this morning, about 84 hours total. The purpose of the longer time was to see if the bezel etchings would abrade away ... and they did not

The knife scales seemed to reach full color after "only" 48 hours & they also came out this morning.

Chris Reeves Sebenza:

Zero Tolerance 0560:

I figured that a number of members would comment about the V10R but instead quite a few wrote about the Sebbie

As far as surface prep before stone wash ... none. Disassembled the knife & placed the scales & pocket clip into the barrel.

These images should help give a better feel for the results.

Cost for a Sebbie or any knife with two Ti scales & a clip is $50. Cost for a one scale knife like the ZT is $25.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast