SunwayLED
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mechanical Modding Services

Default Re: Mechanical Modding Services

If you like the Haiku pattern grip mod you might also like this variation, the Knurly Haiku pattern:

Please look closely at the image above. There is a distinct variation in the knurling pattern from band to band. Before knurling this light a number of sample parts were machined & I thought it would be possible to have each band identical to the next. Try as I might this did not happen. On the positive side no two lights will look exactly identical

Since the grooves were already cut the tool rolled over the edges slightly. This gives the pattern a nice smooth feel. If crisper edges are desired the knurling can be applied before the grooves are cut.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights, gun repairs, blueing & custom work * PM's disabled * Please Email & PayPal through www:Precision.Works

Home of the Jayhawks - Rock Chalk Jayhawk GO KU!

do you have a before pic of the BB knife? i'd love to see the change in finish. . .
    Excellent work Barry . . . all of it!
    "I always prefer to believe the best of everybody it saves so much time." - Rudyard Kipling

Quote Originally Posted by smarkum View Post
    do you have a before pic of the BB knife? i'd love to see the change in finish. . .
    Shelby, it never even crossed my mind to do a "before & after" comparison

Here's an image I found online that give a good idea of the factory finish:

IMO the Sebbie looks & feels much like any Ti part that's been bead blasted, like this Pocket Rocket that I did about a year ago:

There are lots of different ways to prep a surface before stone wash - some operators bead blast, some polish, you name it. What ever finish the part has before stone wash is the finish it has after stone wash IF ultra fine abrasives are used.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights, gun repairs, blueing & custom work * PM's disabled * Please Email & PayPal through www:Precision.Works

How about a V10R "Full Monty"

Starting up front is a sanitized bezel with 8 crens:

Moving toward the rear shows the dehexed & grooved extender which matches the Haiku pattern body:

No surprise that this light & extender are bored for 18mm:

Nice... I still like the battery tube that you made me .... Better grip
    Currently into SPYs....
    My Lights In Detail

Enlightened

Looks like perfection! Thanks Barry.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by stoli67 View Post
    Nice... I still like the battery tube that you made me .... Better grip
    Thank you for the compliment Stoli. I would agree that the original Ultra Groove Mod does give a killer grip. For the owner that wants the smallest possible tube the Haiku pattern gives a surprisingly secure grip.

Quote Originally Posted by FLGUY View Post
    Looks like perfection! Thanks Barry.

Andrew
    You are certainly welcome Andrew. Good call to have the extender grooved to match the tube - first time I've done that & it really makes the V10R look like a high dollar custom.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 07-08-2012 at 04:39 PM.

Barry,

Your work on these V10's is so extensive you're almost making them your own! That last mod with the extender looks amazing.

How does the Haiku pattern differ from what you did for my V10? I need to find the pics and compare them I think. The Haiku doesn't appear to have the step that I recall mine having. Is this because the Haiku pattern isn't as deeply grooved?

- Matt

How does the Haiku pattern differ from what you did for my V10?
    Good question Matt - probably other members wondering the same thing. Your light (as well as most of the V10R grip mods) retains the full diameter of the ridges or lands (red arrows):

You're exactly correct that the Haiku pattern groove depth is much less. The tube is first turned down smooth & then the grooves are cut 0.4mm (.016") deep. Different look & feel but both are a huge improvement over the feel of the factory tube.

Last edited by precisionworks; 07-08-2012 at 05:11 PM.

SWM V10R Ti (from post #62) and Mac's Tri EDC Titanium. Image taken after 36 hours in the stone wash. Surfaces are just starting to color up & will be darker & richer looking after an additional 36 hours. The Tri EDC will ship out on Monday morning, only 4 days after it arrived. Expected turnaround on stone wash is 7-14 days in the shop

Interesting effect on the V10R as the media is just able to burnish the grooves.

A few images of the finished Macs Tri EDC before it goes back to its owner:

First & last images taken with light turned on in "Moon Mode", the lowest of the four available.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 07-23-2012 at 06:30 AM.

Whats the smallest tactical forward clicky 200+ lumen light that you have added credentaled spikes to?

gt5oh,

Not sure that I've ever added crens to any small tactical forward clicky 200+ lumen light. Do you have a particular light or lights in mind? Some bezels are substantially thick while others are super thin so it helps to narrow this down to a particular light.

I was thinking Sunwayman V10R TI+ or something similar... the credens only have to be 4 or 6.. maybe similar to the nitecore extreme infinity

That could be a tall order ... the Defender Infinity has "spikes" that project far ahead of the bezel main:

Best wild guess is that the distance between the red lines (total projection) is around 3mm, roughly 1/8". The V10R has very little metal ahead of the lens & the crens I've milled are far less than 1mm deep.

I haven't tried to Lego any NiteCore parts but there's the possibility that something similar to the bezel above could fit the V10R.

Well that would certainly be a sick project... a 3.3 inch long light with a turbo mode of 500 lumens with tactical forward clicky and credens spikes.... sounds like the ultimate self defense EDC

Atwood stainless steel tumbler after quick (eight hour) stone wash. Trits were set after the tumbler was tumbled

The burnish pattern is just starting to show up & would have become more visible with greater washing time.

Received an older PD McGizmo from a member. Not sure which exact model this is but certainly one of you McG collectors will chime in

Overall the light was in nice shape except for the end of the piston. It looked like it had been dragged down a gravel road. This piston has what appears to be a nickel plating over titanium & about half the nickel was gone. After removing the trit the end of the piston was skim cut in the lathe & 0.1mm was removed. This left a decently flat surface so the piston & light body went to the stone wash. The piston was removed & all the surfaces except the top were skim cut & a new trit was installed:

The head was left in the machined condition but the bezel ring was stone washed:

Last edited by precisionworks; 07-29-2012 at 07:36 PM.

Flashaholic

The stonewash finish is fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
    The stonewash finish is fantastic!
    Thank you for your kind words Hiro

The V10R mag control ring is an interesting part. The two small magnets are barely fixed in their slots with the same red sealant used on the head fin. I mark the top of each one, pull out the magnets, set them aside, tumble all the parts & reinstall the magnets. Norland works well to hold them in.

Love the way your new light looks with the Jeff Hanko damascus trit bezel. IMO that's the most beautiful bezel I've ever seen. You & I are both fortunate to have one.

Hi, after seeing the results from the previous posts, I'm planning to send in a McClickie pak for a sandblasting mod, but also wanted to have it anodized.

What should go first, sandblasting or anodizing? Thanks!

Definitely have the beadblast or sandblast done first. You may be able to find someone locally who'll BB it for you after you remove the McClickie switch & boot. Unless you have the Thorp hex driver it's safest not to try to remove the clip.

To be clear I don't provide anodizing. For that you'll want to contact UKMidnight. Matt does superb work & his prices are very reasonable. I provide stone wash & in some ways it can resemble ano but the two processes are totally different.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 08-07-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by precisionworks View Post
    Definitely have the beadblast or sandblast done first.

To be clear I don't provide anodizing. For that you'll want to contact UKMidnight. Matt does superb work & his prices are very reasonable. I provide stone wash & in some ways it can resemble ano but the two processes are totally different.
    Thanks for the advice!

Yes, I already contacted ukmidnite about the anodizing part, just wasn't too sure about mentioning it in the thread

Once I grab a McClickie pak, I'll contact you

Quote Originally Posted by samuraishot View Post
    I already contacted ukmidnite about the anodizing part, just wasn't too sure about mentioning it in the thread
    You've probably seen these lights that belong to Henk Lu:

They were shipped to me from France, trit slots milled, shipped to Matt in the UK for ano, shipped back to France so the owner could install the trits, whew Enough frequent flier miles for two round trip tickets.

Matt's a great guy to work with, does stunning ano including about any pattern a person can imagine & finishes the job pretty quickly. He's off to a great start & plans to do this for a long time. Can't ask for any better than that.

I wish you hadn't shown me that!!! That's an awesome mod!

Quote Originally Posted by samuraishot View Post
    I wish you hadn't shown me that!!! That's an awesome mod!
    Thank you for your kind words. The trits are the larger 2x6mm have 60% greater area than the 1.5x5mm so they really glow. Add the colored background from UKMidnight & the trits seem to jump out from the titanium. The total effect is visually stunning.

Lots of great ideas have come to life in this thread.

I had the "hex" from a V10R Ti AA extender tube turned smooth and bored for 17500 by precisionworks a few months back and it turned out perfect. Life has been relentless but I figured I should at least post a thank you and that I am very happy with result, even though it is a simple mod compared to some of the other things here. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Thanks for offering these services.

Thank you for your kind words.

That light has so much potential for modding. The V11R may be another good candidate, especially if they make it in titanium.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 09-11-2012 at 03:23 AM.

Great work, I've got a V10R Ti with extender that I need to send to you to get the "full treatment". I also need to decide about trit slots in my Ti TNC 18650 P60 light. I'll follow up by email in the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by nfetterly View Post
    Great work, I've got a V10R Ti with extender that I need to send to you to get the "full treatment". I also need to decide about trit slots in my Ti TNC 18650 P60 light. I'll follow up by email in the next few days.
    Awesome. My emails go quiet for a while & then it seems like a dozen people are sending in lights. Must be the phases of the moon, tides, solar storms

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast