Maxpedition AGR/2        
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910

Thread: Mechanical Modding Services

Default Re: Mechanical Modding Services

This is so very cool to see this process. Thanks for sharing it Barry!

Thank you for your kind words.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights* Please text msg, phone or email through contact page at www:Precision.Works

A few more operations on the V10R. Images enlarge nicely on my iPhone5 & hopefully they'll work on your mobile device:

Scribe hole locations (look closely to see scribe marks):
    100A2706.jpg

Use 45X centering scope to pick up hole centers:
    100A2708.jpg

Use solid carbide drill to make hole:
    100A2712.jpg

Set up tapping head:
    100A2715.jpg

All done:
    100A2720.jpg
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights* Please text msg, phone or email through contact page at www:Precision.Works

It seems like a hundred years ago that I read an article titled "Titanium, not difficult just different". Like most machinists new to Ti I experimented, read everything I could find, spoke with other flashlight machinists & knife makers (same stuff in a different application). Eventually figured out enough that I'm able to work with it. Short tool life (which adds to the cost of every titanium job) is something that's a given.

Here's a before & after stonewash ...

Before stonewash.jpg

After Stone wash (1 of 1).jpg

Someone please tell me why some of my images show as horizontal when they are shot vertical?
    Last edited by precisionworks; 07-28-2016 at 10:36 AM.

Quite a few flashaholics like knves & Zero Tolerance brought one out last year that's a real winner. The ZT0900 has a 2.7" blade & that makes it legal in states that allow 3" or less. The blade is wide with lots of usable edge & the handle is comfortable. But ...

The factory jimping is ugly IMHO. The Zero Tolerance logo on the presentation scale does nothing for looks. So:
    • The jimping was ground away with my 8" bench grinder, freehand, & smoothed out on the Burr King contact wheel running a ScotchBrite belt.
    • The logo was removed using a ball end mill. Two additional "grip grooves" were added at the same time.

To me the improvement in look & feel is significant but you be the judge.

Stock knife except for custom Ti screws from https://ticonnector.com/product/zt-0900-les-george/

ZT0900e (1 of 1).jpg

After mods:
    zt0900iphone.jpg

From the lock side:
    ZT0900h (1 of 1).jpg

Clip is from MXG Gear: http://mxggear.com/products/custom-m...lerance-zt0900

Prices:
    • Grind off jimping & blend out smooth - $55 + $7 shipping
    • Mill grooves - $55 + $7 shipping
    • Both at one time are $107 shipped CONUS, saving you a good bit.

Beautiful work and creation ideas

Thank you for your kind words.
    The more I looked at & handled the knife the more it said "more grooves"

Clamped down on the fixture block (MIC-6 cast aluminum jig plate). Blower nozzle is applying micro droplets of coolant.
    ZT0900i (1 of 1).jpg

With new grooves for better symmetry.
    ZT0900j (1 of 1).jpg

This image also shows where the jimping was ground away:
    ZT0900k (1 of 1).jpg

If you think the lower right groove looks wider that's a slip up on my part & it is wider than the other four. Ah well, this one's for sale to fund another ZT0900 mule.

One of these days I'll stop wearing Birkenstocks when titanium chips are flying. Still trying to extract one from the bottom of my left
    foot
    Last edited by precisionworks; 08-14-2016 at 02:38 PM.

Spent the last week in a toasty warm attic doing a whole house rewire. My partner worked for an hour or so & came out of the attic so I could go in for an hour. Fun stuff, happy to be done. Images show my OCD

Electric1.jpg

Electric2.jpg

I did all the breaker box wiring, replaced 8 fuses with 30 breakers.

Quote Originally Posted by precisionworks View Post
    Thank you for those kind words Tucker.

When the light is at just the right angle the pattern looks like cross hatching.
    How did you achieve this beautiful finish? Planning to sand by hand my D25A Ti and D25C Ti.

Thank you for your kind words. I'm having trouble remembering exactly how I did that

Almost fully caught up, one package of five lights that need clips & the bench is clear. Meaning 2-3 week turnaround at this time.

PM sent.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910