Foxfury Scout        
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mechanical Modding Services

Default Re: Boring service for Surefire® and other aluminum or titanium lights

Email sent regarding ream/hone on a certain light. Thanks!
    Pick the pooch!

Default Re: Boring service for Surefire® and other aluminum or titanium lights

Haiku groove mod & bezel cleaned:

Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights* Please text msg, phone or email through contact page at www:Precision.Works

Default Re: Mechanical Modding Services

Here's some pics Barry took when he worked over my V10R Ti a few months back and I absolutely love the feel and appearance with the way he kept the stock rings, just reduced, although others may prefer the symmetrical approach he's now worked out better.
    The tube in the top pics and bezel in the lower pics is my light and I couldn't be happier. Every time I use my stock tubed version I marvel that SWM made such an excellent light but it took Barry to perfect their battery tube, and with the low levels available from these lights, the crenelated bezel is a very good mod to have when it comes to realizing the light is still on.

Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Barry modded my DRY flashlight before by making the bezel flat and smooth.

This time, my Skyray King went the same treatment.

Before:

After:

I really like the outcome. No more sharp edges when changing batteries. Thanks Barry! .
    Pick the pooch!

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    The tube in the top pics and bezel in the lower pics is my light and I couldn't be happier.
    Quote Originally Posted by don.gwapo View Post
    I really like the outcome. No more sharp edges when changing batteries.
    Thank you both for your kind words.

The V10R is like a Harley Davidson motorcycle - it can be used as is but lots of owners like to customize.

On the Skyray there was no good way to fixture the bezel for either lathe or milling machine work so all the grinding & smoothing was done free hand.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 12-07-2012 at 04:45 PM.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights* Please text msg, phone or email through contact page at www:Precision.Works

Quote Originally Posted by precisionworks View Post
    Thank you both for your kind words.

The V10R is like a Harley Davidson motorcycle - it can be used as is but lots of owners like to customize.
    Thanks for the great work! The tube reduction is a very big improvement for anyone holding their light in the cigar grip, in terms of comfort, especially when held for a long time.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Hello - RE: SWM V10R Ti mod pricing

• Drill & tap two holes #4-40 tpi for McGizmo / Mac's / J. Hanko / etc. pocket clip - $60

I want to confirm that this does not include the clip itself but only the work to attach the clip? I would have to source the clip(s) and send them to you along with the light if I were interested in this, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by OneBigDay View Post
    I would have to source the clip(s) and send them to you along with the light if I were interested in this, correct?
    I always keep a few titanium McGizmo pocket clips in stock. I can drill & tap the holes & install the clip for $95 + $6 return shipping (USA).

V10R Ti with Haiku-style groove mod, hex removed from spacer, stone washed control ring & clean bezel

Barry, do have a TC-R1? I've found the grooves, while identical to the V10R's except in width, to be much more user friendly and wondered how much it would cost to have you widen them to the same specs?

Do you want the existing pattern removed (as was done on the V10R Ti) and then the new grooves cut?

Sorry for not being more informative - what I was wondering about was getting the control ring to be more like the one on the TC-R1, with its wider grooves, which are exactly the same, except different in that they are wider, making them easier for find by feel, and get a hold on the ring itself.

Now I understand

The ring is thin & I'd rather not make it any thinner. IMO the best solution is to buy a ring from Matt (UKMidnight) as he hand cuts wider grooves & then color ano's them, really sharp looking. His email is:

theslippyslug AT gmail DOT com

I just sent him an e-mail - thanks Barry.

A local LEO asked if anything could be done to make the Fury easier to grasp. Some drawings were done to determine the best locations for O-rings & this is what we came up with:

The tail cap & body are grooved on the lathe to secure the O-rings in position. Groove depth is identical to the depth of the existing scallops & flats so body & tail cap retain full strength. The hard ano does chip slightly when the cutter plunges through it but the O-ring covers that area.

If any members want this done to their Fury the cost is $42.

A local LEO asked if anything could be done to make the Fury easier to grasp. Some drawings were done to determine the best locations for O-rings & this is what we came up with:

[IM]http://cdn-2-service.phanfare.com/images/9853934_5796506_179382897_WebLarge_2/Image-9853934-179382897-2-WebLarge_0_c5217152146238f4e5064ad2dd905cb5_1[/IMG]

[IMhttp://cdn-2-service.phanfare.com/images/9853934_5796506_179382894_WebLarge_2/Image-9853934-179382894-2-WebLarge_0_ae6732fdc321eeb56552cd22b0b51b52_1[/IMG]

The tail cap & body are grooved on the lathe to secure the O-rings in position. Groove depth is identical to the depth of the existing scallops & flats so body & tail cap retain full strength. The hard ano does chip slightly when the cutter plunges through it but the O-ring covers that area.

[IG]http://cdn-2-service.phanfare.com/images/9853934_5796506_179382891_WebLarge_2/Image-9853934-179382891-2-WebLarge_0_1fa0f630378335a2d64e0b01149f3f09_1[/IMG]

If any members want this done to their Fury the cost is $42.
    that is awesome! great ideas!
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

that is awesome! great ideas!
    Thank you for your kind words

Was not happy with the slight edge chipping caused by the square nosed tool & purchased a newer grooving tool system (or spent too much money for more tools, according to My Better Half). Zero edge chipping. Also added a mid groove which really improves the grip.

Bored mine as well, please see post #69 in the boring thread.

Thank you for your kind words

Was not happy with the slight edge chipping caused by the square nosed tool & purchased a newer grooving tool system (or spent too much money for more tools, according to My Better Half). Zero edge chipping. Also added a mid groove which really improves the grip.

[IG]http://cdn-2-service.phanfare.com/images/9853934_5796506_180086433_Web_2/Image-9853934-180086433-2-Web_0_fb4a72a7919234d5be3e05f1f70e52ea_1[/IMG]

[IG]http://cdn-2-service.phanfare.com/images/9853934_5796506_180086426_Web_2/Image-9853934-180086426-2-Web_0_f6ab398ddaa2e6ce2398172a6a3dfd3e_1[/IMG]

[IG]http://cdn-2-service.phanfare.com/images/9853934_5796506_180086428_Web_2/Image-9853934-180086428-2-Web_0_3be00dde1ddb6c6d92b1ee95295966c3_1[/IMG]

[IG]http://cdn-2-service.phanfare.com/images/9853934_5796506_180530725_Web_2/Image-9853934-180530725-2-Web_0_c84ad697954bf9562b4e12568eb0afca_1[/IMG]

Bored mine as well, please see post #69 in the boring thread.
    dude that is intense! quite an innovative add-on IMO
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.

those Fury grip ring slots you do now are further compelling me to buy the P2XD ("defender" variant). hmmmmmmmmmmm

if I do end up getting one it's coming your way
    Last edited by precisionworks; 03-11-2013 at 03:36 AM.

FWIW, this is a popular mod for police officers & I offer a reduced price for LEO-Mil-FF-EMT. If both boring & grooving are done together it saves me set up time & LEO-Mil-FF-EMT price is $65 including return shipping CONUS. (Civilian price for both at once is $76 including shipping).
    Last edited by precisionworks; 03-11-2013 at 03:36 AM.

Since this mod uses a McGizmo clip it must be light related

Bought a Benchmade 9050, love the knife & hate the factory clip. Too narrow, pretty weak, mounted so the handle carries high in the pocket, etc.

Took a McG clip & made the top of the clip flat (arbor press) & mounted it in the factory location. Better but looks like a bolt on (which it is). Handle still rides too high & does not allow a deep carry.

Went to the milling machine & carved out a pocket that allows the clip to sit slightly below flush. This lowers the heads of the Lundsford Racing screws by about 1mm & allows a much deeper carry. The pocket also provides mechanical location so the clip cannot shift side-to-side even under impact:

An aluminum handle needs a minimum 6mm (1/4") thickness & a Ti handle is fine with 3mm (1/8") thickness. It needs to be metal & not G10/carbon/etc. as these screws are under a bit of tension ... like a lot

Basic pricing on this for a similar aluminum handled knife is $41 for machine work including return shipping CONUS (add $10 Intl). Milling a Ti handle is $68 including shipping back. Please add $35 if you want me to supply the McG clip. If you can disassemble the knife & send only the handle that's best but I'll do that if you don't want to.

Nice mod Barry, and it addresses one of the worst aspects of clip placement on otherwise well thought out knife designs. Many of us prefer to carry inside the waistband and the higher the knife protrudes, the more annoying it becomes throughout the day.

Unenlightened

V10R Ti with Haiku-style groove mod, hex removed from spacer, stone washed control ring & clean bezel
    Wow! I really like that!! I have a factory V10R Ti+, what would it cost me to get mine looking like this? (I don't have the spacer either)

Mitch

Thank you for your kind words Mitch. Here's the break down:

If that isn't quite enough ... stonewash the body and/or stonewash the bezel, bore the body for 18mm cell, install a titanium McGizmo pocket clip ...

quick question: if I want my Fury Defender bored later on at some point to 18mm, will having the grip ring mod grooves/slots prevent you from doing that? I'm not sure if they're at all delicate or how the bore work goes, so please excuse this potentially dumb question.

I'll be sending my Fury to you next week it looks like. I'm headed out of town tomorrow (I'll still have access to CPF) so I'll send it after Easter. This Fury is phenomenal though, probably Surefire's best, and most sensible, light they make currently IMO.

depending on what CPF guys say I may just have you bore it anyways while it's at your place. we'll see!

Quote Originally Posted by tobrien View Post
    if I want my Fury Defender bored later on at some point to 18mm, will having the grip ring mod grooves/slots prevent you from doing that?
    Both mods can be done without one affecting the other because the major diameter of the Fury isn't reduced (reads like Greek doesn't it). The smallest OD on the Fury is across the two flats. The grooving tool cuts through the raised or ribbed area of the tube but doesn't cut below the level of the flats - or at most it cuts around 1/4 mm below the flat surface. Structural strength & tube integrity should be unchanged.

Speaking of boring, some people have requested a tube spacer so 2xCR123 can be run in a bored Fury without the batteries bouncing around. No company on earth makes the tube sized needed although it can be custom extruded with an order of 1000' ... enough to make 4000 spacers. Instead I purchased black Delrin solid rod & will machine that to fit. Delrin isn't cheap & these take a bit of time to make so the cost is up there ... $2 each to start with but that could change The best time to have a spacer made is when the light is in my shop & the spacer then ships back inside the light & adds no extra shipping cost.

The best time to have a spacer made is when the light is in my shop & the spacer then ships back inside the light & adds no extra shipping cost.
    Good call boss,

What about the spacer from Olight....

FWIW, They are 5 bucks,

Now nobody else read this part, there are three used Fury models on eBay and I am hoping to get one HAHAHA....

I get paid tomorrow and my back pocket is burning....

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbean View Post
    What about the spacer from Olight ....
    First I've heard of that & a search of their site finds nothing ... do you have a link?

FWIW, They are 5 bucks ...
    I thought my price might be a little skinny.

First I've heard of that & a search of their site finds nothing ... do you have a link?

I thought my price might be a little skinny.
    Ask and you shall receive...

http://olightusa.com/Olight-Accessor...rrior-Tactical

I think your price would be right on though, I mean the Olight item is a storage device, holes in both ends to run 2xCR123 cells w/out rattling, and has a top with a lanyard hole...

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbean View Post
    Nice design, I like it better than my spacer & the cost is certainly low.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast