Acebeam        
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mechanical Modding Services

Default Re: Mechanical Modding Services

Now to just get my hands on one to see what it's outer circumference is,

And see if the "tip" can be easily snipped off,

I know it's used as a reference if needed to put the battery holder in a light in low light if need be. But the internals of the Olight have a recess inside them to accommodate it.

Hi Barry

The work I am interested in having done is on a Sunwayman M20A. Unlike most of the Sunwayman Fans here, I don't care for tail standing on my lights and would like the outside ring of the tail end machined down to the bottom of the lanyard holes. Since the light is aluminum I will need to get the light re finished but at a later time. Here is a picture of the tail end:

Could you give me a price quote for the work? Thank you
    Be a Light In the Universe

Default Mechanical Modding Services

$25 + Return shipping should take care of that.

Barry Milton
    Precision-Gunsmithing.com
    iPhone5 voice recognition
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights* Please text msg, phone or email through contact page at www:Precision.Works

Quote Originally Posted by precisionworks View Post
    $25 + Return shipping should take care of that.

Barry Milton
    ON ITS WAY!

Hi Barry can you do a chrome finish on a host and if so please pm me for the price? Thanks.

Default Mechanical Modding Services

I am not able to offer any type of refinishing service.

Barry Milton
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights* Please text msg, phone or email through contact page at www:Precision.Works

I always keep a few titanium McGizmo pocket clips in stock. I can drill & tap the holes & install the clip for $95 + $6 return shipping (USA).
    Good afternoon. I had posted late last year about having a McGizmo clip put on my V10RTi. Even though this light is now an ancient relic I would still like this done if you have a spare clip and are up for it. Let me know and I'll get it in the mail in the next week. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by OneBigDay View Post
    Good afternoon. I had posted late last year about having a McGizmo clip put on my V10RTi. Even though this light is now an ancient relic I would still like this done if you have a spare clip and are up for it. Let me know ...
    Please go ahead and send it in. I have a few clips left but I am somewhat backed up And cannot promise a completion date.

Please go ahead and send it in. I have a few clips left but I am somewhat backed up And cannot promise a completion date.
    No worries at all, I'm not in a rush. I'll get it in the mail and send paypal and you can get to it at your convenience. Thanks!

I couldn't find any reference to this after searching, is it possible to bore McGizmo McClicky Paks to 18mm? I might get myself a 2x123 Pak and thought it would nice to use 18650 in it if possible. Seems like they don't have enough metal to allow that however, thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Espionage Studio View Post
    ... is it possible to bore McGizmo McClicky Paks to 18mm? ... Seems like they don't have enough metal to allow that ...
    In theory yes, not too different from boring an E-series. I don't offer that service because the cost of a slip up is many times higher than the potential profit on the job. Sometime I might post a photo of my "drawer of shame" - where mutilated lights go after I've destroyed them. Ironic thing is that there's nothing inexpensive or easily replaced in that collection, just some high dollar titanium tubes

As always the manufacturer is the best place to start when you want something like that. Some of the custom makers will enlarge their tubes but Don will not.

Flashaholic*

Have you ever considered putting a "Haiku type" pattern or some other on a solarforce or some other p60 host? As there are a few Ti versions and SS versions, I know they have more than enough metal for some work on them. Not to sure about the Al ones.
    Keep it between the ditches and the shiny side up.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortus View Post
    Have you ever considered putting a "Haiku type" pattern or some other on a solarforce or some other p60 host?
    Can't say that anyone has ever requested a grip mod on any brand of p60 host. It can probably be done on an aluminum body but the machining + coating afterward would likely exceed the cost of the light.

Hi Barry,

I would like to install a clip on my HDS Rotary . How much would you charge to tap 2 screw holes in it? I already own the clip and the screws. Ever done that ?

Thanks !
    sig line removed to help search function...

Quote Originally Posted by derfyled View Post
    Ever done that ?
    I have not & am uncertain how to go about it.

Ok, let me know if you ever find out how and if you are interested in this job.

Take care,
    Derfyled
    sig line removed to help search function...

Just got my newly CUSTOMIZED Sunwayman M20A back from Barry today and I am STOKED at the work that was done The machining is excellent! I had some concerns about the finish, but Barry's work looks so good, I may just leave it as is.

the first shot of the new easier to use tail cap

and the second shot in different lighting.

Note to self: get an honest to goodness CAMERA someday!

I am really happy with Barry's work. Now I get to start carrying my Sunwayman M20A and use it without the annoying "finger in a hole" method to turn it on. Pure momentary tactical!
    Last edited by T45; 11-29-2015 at 11:52 AM.

Thank you for your kind words T45. That was an interesting job.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has been mentioned before but is worth repeating ... if you have a McGizmo, Mac's Custom, or any light that uses Allen head screws to secure the clip to the body - buy a Thorp Hex Driver 1/16". These drivers are made from hardened tool steel & the tips are ground for a perfect fit, unlike ordinary Allen wrenches that are forged & work poorly on titanium screws. $10.79 on Amazon & well worth the money.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A McGizmo XR27-PD came in & reminded me of a line from the movie Days of Thunder:

Harry: Alright Cole, while we're still under the caution I want you to go back out on that track and hit the pace car.

Cole: Hit the pace car???

Harry: HIT THE PACE CAR!

Cole: What for???

Harry: Cause you hit every other g** d***** thing out there, I want you to be perfect!
    This light had been hit hard on the front of the bezel, the side of the bezel, the tail & the side of the clip ... even the top of the piston was scarred - on what looked like concrete. My bad for not taking "before" photos but here are the "after" images:

Each of those areas was skim cut so that about 0.1mm was removed from the light. Then the freshly machined areas were blended to match the rest of the light. Two hours total on the lathe to get the full spa treatment

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last light on the bench is this V10R Ti. Cleaned the bezel, did the grip mod using U-grooves instead of square grooves, drilled & tapped for a McG titanium pocket clip:

Last edited by precisionworks; 07-07-2013 at 11:45 AM.

The V10R shown in the prior post got me thinking more about using the U-grooves on my personal light. It had been knurled some time back & that experiment turned out badly so the knurling was first machined off. Then the square grooves were re-cut with the U-groove tool & the body was stone washed. Look & feel are totally different than the square grooved body, very good grip and silky smooth at the same time.

Some of the edge transitions are not perfect, still showing the metal displacement caused by the knurling. Cleaning all of that up would have required removing more material from the body & deeper grooves, something I wanted to stay away from.

If you feel that your Defender is too sharp at the head & tail I can blend & polish those areas for easier pocket carry. E2DL Ultra shown below:

Cost is $35.00 plus return shipping.

Back in post #105 grooves & O-rings were added to a Fury:

One of my customers mentioned that the tiny amount of sliver edge that shows next to the O-ring reflects enough light that he was spotted at 300 meters. Cerakote, Gunkote, Brownells Baking Laquer are all possible solutions but here's another:

No need to send the light back in to add this but the skinny O-rings have to be exchanged for fat ones:

Slip the tubing over the body, warm it until it shrinks & it's done. Technical specs on the tubing: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...55819444,d.b2I

Available from McMaster-Carr in a variety of sizes.

Slip the tubing over the body, warm it until it shrinks & it's done. Technical specs on the tubing: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...55819444,d.b2I

Available from McMaster-Carr in a variety of sizes.
    That is AWESOME
    Please no PM/Visitor Msg's. Email for questions/Paypal: wquiles [at] gmail {dot} com

Thank you for your kind words Will.

One of the nicest features of the heat shrink is that it's easy enough to do at home. The fabric is more difficult to get perfectly right & I'm not satisfied with the way the ends look - so a piece of plain (smooth) tubing will go on each end as a finish or trim piece.

I tried a piece of hardware store heat shrink earlier on another light:

In the short time the light has been carried the tubing is already starting to wear at the edge lines. Durability is low & the fabric will replace the smooth tubing shortly.

__________________________________________________ ____________________

There is one mod done to the extended P3X:

No way to do this on a non extended body as the tailcap has to tighten down hard against the end of the tube or the electrical path is not complete. Not difficult when using the extender & the combat ring diameter can be whatever someone wants - on this light it measures the same as the O-ring diameter. Nice if you like to use a cigar grip.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 11-02-2013 at 07:22 AM.

Tried a different approach to the P3X, no O-rings on the body, just the combat ring at the junction of body & extender. Fabric heat shrink with plain tubing over wrap on each end for trim. Also replaced the slippery tailcap with a Z59.

Worked next on a P2X that had the O-ring mod (3 on body + 3 on tail). Added two fat O-rings at the tail & a plain heat shrink over wrap to make it feel like a combat grip. Light is now front load only:

Last edited by precisionworks; 11-06-2013 at 07:46 AM.

Fabric heat shrink looks like a great addition for a lot of my lights.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

I think you'll like it. The feel is really nice, not as aggressive as knurling but so much better than the PX slick body feeling. Some things to keep in mind:

If you don't already have a heat gun this is reason enough to purchase one. With normal solid heat shrink an open flame carefully applied can work OK. Not so with fabric, it's impossible to work down without a heat gun. My heat gun is 1500 watts & is never used on any lower setting, YMMV.

Allow for linear shrinkage, about 15%. Cut a bit long, shrink it & trim to size with toenail clippers - so far the only tool I've found that works. Plan on finishing the ends with plain heat shrink.

If it didn't turn out right just heat the standing seam & it will burst apart, no cutting required.

Shrinking the fabric over an O-ring helps keep the fabric in place & resists twisting, important on a slick light like the PX.

Buy twice as much fabric as you think you'll need. It took 6' of fabric to do the two lights shown above.

I think you'll like it. The feel is really nice, not as aggressive as knurling but so much better than the PX slick body feeling. Some things to keep in mind:

If you don't already have a heat gun this is reason enough to purchase one. With normal solid heat shrink an open flame carefully applied can work OK. Not so with fabric, it's impossible to work down without a heat gun. My heat gun is 1500 watts & is never used on any lower setting, YMMV.

Allow for linear shrinkage, about 15%. Cut a bit long, shrink it & trim to size with toenail clippers - so far the only tool I've found that works. Plan on finishing the ends with plain heat shrink.

If it didn't turn out right just heat the standing seam & it will burst apart, no cutting required.

Shrinking the fabric over an O-ring helps keep the fabric in place & resists twisting, important on a slick light like the PX.

Buy twice as much fabric as you think you'll need. It took 6' of fabric to do the two lights shown above.
    I know I'll like it for at least a couple of lights, but I wonder if it's any less prone to the stretching that regular heat shrink goes through when under stress?

Thanks for the mid-thread instructional and constantly exploring how we can make our lights better for daily usage.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    ... I wonder if it's any less prone to the stretching that regular heat shrink goes through when under stress?
    The "fabric" is woven from polyethylene/polyester materials & tech info is here: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...55819444,d.b2I

One of my friends, who uses it to bundle electrical cables, says it's stupidly durable. The plain end trim pieces are an industrial item - extra thick, somewhat hard & show almost no wear ... the hardware store heat shrink is paper thin, soft & starts to wear on day one.

I buy the materials from McMaster Carr & the shortest fabric length is 3', about $20 with tax & shipping. Heat guns vary widely in price but a good low cost model is the Porter Cable PC1500HG, on Amazon for $35. More expensive guns put out more heat & have calibrated controls.

Working on a Full Monte V10R Ti. Image below shows body & extender turned down smooth:

Body with Haiku pattern grooving:

Still have to sanitize the bezel, bore for 18mm cell, stone wash, etc.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 12-01-2013 at 08:49 AM.

that looks great!
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast