Review Of The Wiseled Tactical NG And Wisedive Handheld (both 3,300 Lumen)

Stella_Polaris

Newly Enlightened
I have owned these two Danish handmade Wiseled flashlights for a while but haven't come around to reviewing them... I'll make up for that today.

Here's a pic of the two beasts in their charging cradles... Wisedive Handheld 3,300 Lumen to the left and Wiseled Tactical NG (also 3,300 Lumen) to the right:

RIMG0034.jpg

I ordered a special case for the Wisedive Handheld, too (note that the current case does NOT have orange filling inside anymore. It is grey now):

RIMG0021.jpg

RIMG0023.jpg

RIMG0022.jpg

Plus I ordered a click-on handle for both... the handle easily clicks on and off over the lanyard ring:

RIMG0024.jpg

RIMG0025.jpg

RIMG0029.jpg

While the standard colour is black throughout on the Wiseled Tactical NG ("NG" stands for "Next Generation"), you get various options for the Wisedive Handheld. As you can see, I chose the silver frontring and silver coolhead, black body made of anodized, aerospace grade and salt water resistant Aluminium.

In the 2 pictures below, you can see the "RamFlow" cooling system that uses forced convection to cool down the flashlight... used indoor or outdoor and even used non stop until the batteri needed a recharge, I have yet to experience the head of the flashlight getting hot:

RIMG0027.jpg

RIMG0033.jpg

There are other outer differences... for instance, the Wisedive Handheld has a "Slide" on/off button while the Wiseled Tactical NG has one single steel button controlling the various modes:

RIMG0028.jpg

RIMG0031.jpg

The two flashlights have different user interfaces. I am not going to go into specifics as to how UI works on the two... you can check that out both interactively and in the product sheets on the wiseled / wisedive sites.

However, I feel the need to correct the description of how to use the "Flight Mode":

1) On the Tactical NG, you need to push the on/off button quickly 4 times within 2 seconds. While doing this, look at the end of the flashlight: After the 4th. quick push, you'll notice that the end lights up orange. Wait a second more to have the end light up blue... THAT is when you are to push the on/off button ONCE again to active the Flight Mode.
To disable the Flight Mode, push the on/off button quickly 4 times again... after 2 seconds or so, the flashlight turns on will full power. So DON'T go "hey, why does the flashlight not turn on?" and look into the LED's.... because (as said) the flashlight doesn't turn on immediately after disabling the Flight Mode but has the mentioned delay of approx. 2 seconds.

2) On the Wisedive Handheld, simply slide the on/off slider to the LEFT quickly 4 times within 2 seconds. This will activate the Flight Mode (no light indication at the end of the flashlight)... to disable the Flight Mode, simply do the same again. Like with the Tactical NG, please wait 2 secs for the Wisedive Handheld to turn on after Flight Mode has been diabled.

Also, I want to point out that while the two flashlights come with a standard 5-step boost/throttling down action, both lights are "customizable" via the "WiseIrda" software availible on their site. With exception of older Wiseled Tacticals, you can customize the following settings:
  • Dimming
  • Strobe
  • Boost
  • Temperature setpoint
  • Automatic decrease light
Both in terms of weight and length, the Wiseled Tactical and Wisedive Handheld are different, too:

Wiseled Tactical NG: 800 grams / 24.2 cm

Wisedive Handheld: 710 grams / 22.7 cm

RIMG0030.jpg

While the Wisedive Handheld is specically made for divers, the Wiseled Tactical NG is advertised as being "Not suitable for diving"... It still is waterproof, though, which basically means "dunkable". It will cope with all everyday situations you'd have, including the unlikely case that you would drop your Tactical NG into a bath tub filled with water.

Both flashlights start out with an effect of 1,500 mA. But whereas the Wiseled Tactical NG maintains that effect (but can be manually throttled down via the pusher in 5 steps, going down to 1,000 mA), the Wisedive Handheld throttles down automatically to around 1,200 mA after a while (tested outside at 5 degrees Celsius: 40 minutes).

The LED's used in both the Wiseled Tactical NG and Wisedive Handheld is the Cree Xpe "Cool White".

It should be noted that a special "Tech Lense" is gonna be availible from Wiseled in near future that will create an incredible dense beam with an an amazing throw!

But hey... those flashlights shouldn't just sit idle in the cradle. So let's take them out of the cradle and first make some beamshots up against the wall inside. They'll be taken for a stroll outside later...

The Wisedive Handheld, full boost:

RIMG0002.jpg

The Tactical NG, full boost:

RIMG0003.jpg

Strope (500 Watt), Wisedive Handheld:

Despite the two flashlights having the same LED type, the Wisedive seems to emit a slightly whiter light than the Wiseled Tactical NG.... let's test them outside and let night become day:

Wisedive Handheld, full boost:

RIMG0012.jpg

Wiseled Tactical NG, full boost:

RIMG0008.jpg

A volunteer caught in full boost mode (Wisedive Handheld)... he's still being treated in the hospital for partial blindness. LOL

RIMG0013.jpg

Tree tops:

RIMG0006.jpg

Wiseled Tactical NG, lowest setting:

RIMG0005.jpg

Stop sign:

Wisedive Handheld, one step throttled down manually:

RIMG0010.jpg

RIMG0011.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this review!

Last edited:

Rolex John

Newly Enlightened
Oh no....not another watch guy that's into flashlights! :wave:

Nice review Bo.

-John

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review and nice Deep Sea Dweller, you have good taste:naughty: I say so because have the same watch

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review!!!

Are they really using XPE's, i thought they were using XML's to put out that output. I have the older 2000 model and its using XPG's.

Enzo

Newly Enlightened
Very beautiful...
Wiseled needs to upgrade their website for people with iPads. I'm very interested in making a purchase.
Thank you for the review.

Stella_Polaris

Newly Enlightened
Nice review and nice Deep Sea Dweller, you have good taste:naughty: I say so because have the same watch

Thanks!

The watch is not a Rolex Deepsea, though (although I've owned it before) but a Rolex Explorer II 216570.

Great review!!!

Are they really using XPE's, i thought they were using XML's to put out that output. I have the older 2000 model and its using XPG's.

It's definately XPE's... I've had it confirmed by Wiseled.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Great pictures and review. I've owned the 1000 & 1500 and there was very little that I disliked about them.

I'm a bit skeptical of the 3300L claim considering they're using 7 x XP-E's though. That's 470+ lumens per LED. :huh:

yifu

Enlightened
Great pictures and review. I've owned the 1000 & 1500 and there was very little that I disliked about them.

I'm a bit skeptical of the 3300L claim considering they're using 7 x XP-E's though. That's 470+ lumens per LED. :huh:
Yep, CPF testing shows that even severely overdriven XP-Es can only maintain 400 emitter lumens for a few seconds. If driven at spec, 1A, Cree tests a typical 236.2 emitter lumens for the most commonly used R2 bin at a reasonable junction temperature. 7 of those, factoring in loss of output from the lens (10%) and the optic (10% is the norm for TIRs), that would only be an OTF lumen output of what 1800?

yifu

Enlightened
1% is the typical loss from an UCL lens (water-white float glass), TIR optics range from 10%-18% loss, although there are more efficient ones made of glass. The Carclo tight optics for example, is 90.2% efficient and is very common.

Stella_Polaris

Newly Enlightened

Yep, CPF testing shows that even severely overdriven XP-Es can only maintain 400 emitter lumens for a few seconds. If driven at spec, 1A, Cree tests a typical 236.2 emitter lumens for the most commonly used R2 bin at a reasonable junction temperature. 7 of those, factoring in loss of output from the lens (10%) and the optic (10% is the norm for TIRs), that would only be an OTF lumen output of what 1800?

Is 10% loss normal for TIR or is it 1% ?

1% is the typical loss from an UCL lens (water-white float glass), TIR optics range from 10%-18% loss, although there are more efficient ones made of glass. The Carclo tight optics for example, is 90.2% efficient and is very common.

I had a chat with a Wiseled employee (one of the persons actually making the flashlights) about this...

Thing is that they use an undertype of the XP-E:

grn - L1 - 0000

That type can take (and is driven to) 1,500 mA and emits slightly over 470 lumens.... per LED.

Last edited:

Freddy

Newly Enlightened
awesome light, built like a tank. Puts out a wall of light too. Over engineering is good!!

Patriot

Flashaholic
I had a chat with a Wiseled employee (one of the persons actually making the flashlights) about this...

Thing is that they use an undertype of the XP-E:

grn - L1 - 0000

That type can take (and is driven to) 1,500 mA and emits slightly over 470 lumens.... per LED.

I think there's too much evidence against this notion. The grn - L1 - 0000 is actually a green xr-e and the data sheet for CREE still points to a maximum of 1.0A regardless of version. That's not to say Wiseled isn't over driving some white LED's but like Yifu stated, 400L would already be stretching the limits of credulity. The best test would be ANSI ratings or even just compared to other known output lights with a light meter. I say this as a wiseled fan but I like to keep things honest.

Stella_Polaris

Newly Enlightened
any update on the tech lens?

No, sorry... I don't know when and if it's gonna be availible. Seems Wiseled has its focus somewhere else now...

I think there's too much evidence against this notion. The grn - L1 - 0000 is actually a green xr-e and the data sheet for CREE still points to a maximum of 1.0A regardless of version. That's not to say Wiseled isn't over driving some white LED's but like Yifu stated, 400L would already be stretching the limits of credulity. The best test would be ANSI ratings or even just compared to other known output lights with a light meter. I say this as a wiseled fan but I like to keep things honest.

Hey, what can I say??

I honestly just tell you what I was told and was allowed to share by the leading technician back then..............

Last edited: