Battery Junction

Thread: what to do with SF incan lamps?

Default what to do with SF incan lamps?

I have a few old "high pressure xenon 9v" and p60 lamps that work fine but i have converted to malkoff dropins and was wondering if anything can be done in terms of modding the lamps or if i should just throw them away. let me know your ideas. thanks

Default Re: what to do with SF incan lamps?

send the 9 volt ones my way

IF 2 = 1 THEN 1 = 0

The "9V" lamps are still quite usable and even desirable by some here due to their compatibility with two LiIon rechargeables in series - the voltages of 3xCR123 (what these lamps were designed for) and 2xLiIon (a very popular rechargeable configuration on CPF) are very similar.

The "6V" lamps don't have many uses IMO, one very good one is the one that archimedes linked to.
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

P60s aren't too bad actually... they run wonderfully at 5V (~1.15A). A decent holder and a simple power supply these work better than the 12VAC Halogen bi-pins for painting lights.

If you want to mod them, probably not a good idea, it's much better to get a bipin socket/reflector from FiveMega and chosing your own bulb. But, put them up at the marketplace! There's still demand for these things, if sufficiently cheap.. Hint hint.

Flashaholic*

Welcome to CPF!

Just keep them.

kelmo

I've used the P60 lamp in a Surefire with a single 17670. A nice soft warm glow emits for creeping around the house at night. I ended up with a few P60 lamps after modifying the Surefire hosts for an LED or brighter incandescent lamp. Some people say that the low voltage will make them turn black, but mine is still crystal clear. You could buy cheaper hosts and install the P60 and an 18650 to give you longer run time. Welcome to CPF!

+ 1 HotWire I do exactly the same with my Surefire, Streamlight & Brinkmann incandescents without issue...
    My modest collection HERE & 55w HID spotlight project HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    The "9V" lamps are still quite usable and even desirable by some here due to their compatibility with two LiIon rechargeables in series - the voltages of 3xCR123 (what these lamps were designed for) and 2xLiIon (a very popular rechargeable configuration on CPF) are very similar.

The "6V" lamps don't have many uses IMO, one very good one is the one that archimedes linked to.
    I love using 2x17500 batteries in my stock 9P. Free lumens with the most HCRI output you can get.

As for the 6V bulbs, I have them in my "rainy day" stash in the unlikely event EMP affects LED drop ins/flashlights. You can't get but about $10 per P60, so for that price I'd just assume keep them around in case they are needed.

I use a lot of LEDs around here, but I keep the incans around for color rendering, or sudden flights of fancy.

A 6R conversion kit can be had cheaply if you can find a B65 compatible stick; the charger and conversion tubes are on clearance at LA Police Gear.
    Last edited by Chrontius; 04-17-2012 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Typo

So, is there no problem running a P90 with 2xRCR123s? I tried it, and it is nice...

What about using a P91 with 2xRCR123s?

This doesn't under-drive thebulb?

Flashaholic*

It underdrives it slightly (8.4V off the charger, 7.4V continuous vs. 9V). I don't remember what the voltage/discharge curves are like for CR123s vs. li-ions so I don't know if that's worse, better or just similar.

Quote Originally Posted by justlooking View Post
    So, is there no problem running a P90 with 2xRCR123s? I tried it, and it is nice...

What about using a P91 with 2xRCR123s?

This doesn't under-drive thebulb?
    If you are refering to protected RCR123s, both P90 and P91 will be over 2C limitation of cells discharge but P90 works excellent with pair of IMR 16340 and P91 overdrive but still safe (shorter life) to run with mentioned setup.
    ----------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    It underdrives it slightly (8.4V off the charger, 7.4V continuous vs. 9V)
    Both P90 and P91 are NOMINALLY 9 volt.
    P90 works well with 7.5~7.8 volts and P91 works without overdriving at 6.6~6.8 volts.
    So drive P90 with pair of IMR16340 with confidence and P91 knowing that it will overdrive but still safe.

For your information, each brand new and never used primary CR123 has about 3.2 volt open cirquit, drops to about 2.5 volts under load of (P90) 1.2A and drops even further down to about 2.2 volts at (P91) 2.4 Amps.
    Each healthy and fully recharged IMR16340 has about 4.2 volt open cirquit, drops to about 4.0 volts under load of (P90) 1.2A quickly and drops even further down to about 3.7 volts at (P91) 2.5 Amps.

So, counting overdrive, how much is a P91 on a pair of IMR 16340 putting out?

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by fivemega View Post
    Both P90 and P91 are NOMINALLY 9 volt.
    P90 works well with 7.5~7.8 volts and P91 works without overdriving at 6.6~6.8 volts.
    So drive P90 with pair of IMR16340 with confidence and P91 knowing that it will overdrive but still safe.

For your information, each brand new and never used primary CR123 has about 3.2 volt open cirquit, drops to about 2.5 volts under load of (P90) 1.2A and drops even further down to about 2.2 volts at (P91) 2.4 Amps.
    Each healthy and fully recharged IMR16340 has about 4.2 volt open cirquit, drops to about 4.0 volts under load of (P90) 1.2A quickly and drops even further down to about 3.7 volts at (P91) 2.5 Amps.
    So in other words 3x CR123 in practice provides around 7.5 volts - perfect, then. Thanks for the clarification, I was unsure.

Thanks jellydonut and fivemega, for the clarification. I was, in fact, using AW protected RCR123s. Guess I won't do that again! I knew it sounded too good to be true.

I thank you, and my fingers thank you!

In my long experience, (if only with this ONE setup) a P91 and AW IMR 16340 setup is safe... but I wouldn't have dared using that on LiCo cells.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrontius View Post
    So, counting overdrive, how much is a P91 on a pair of IMR 16340 putting out?
    My esimate will be 400~450 BULB lumens at start of fully recharge cells.
    Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post
    So in other words 3x CR123 in practice provides around 7.5 volts - perfect, then. Thanks for the clarification, I was unsure.
    3x CR123 in practice provides around 7.5 volts under 1.2 Amps load.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrontius View Post
    In my long experience, (if only with this ONE setup) a P91 and AW IMR 16340 setup is safe... but I wouldn't have dared using that on LiCo cells.
    Unless longe run time is needed. For example if host can take 2 protected 18500, then run time will be almost 3 time longer than 2 IMR16340

I have 2 P60 I burnt using lifepo4. They ran for only an hour or so now I know better.

I like the mod Archimedes linked to and I may need to make something similar.

I have one with a 4x20 tritium vial in it to make a trit torch. Works well but weak compared to 15mm sphere with reflector.

I also run a P90 on 2 X 16340 IMR cells. Nice bright light. Short run time. It's great around the house or close to a charger. When traveling I install a P60 and use primaries in the same light. Not as bright, much longer run time. I keep a supply of charged 16340 IMR cells at home for quick changes. That is not the light for non-flashaholics because the cells can be damaged by discharging them too much.

I run a P90 in a G3 with 2XAW17500's all the time without incident.
    Finally seeing the light - going back to incans!!!!

P90 works very safe on 2 protected 17500
    P90 works very safe on 2 protected 17670
    P90 works very safe on 2 protected 18500
    P90 works very safe on 2 protected 18650
    ---
    P90 works very safe on 2 IMR 16340
    P90 works very safe on 2 IMR 18350
    P90 works very safe on 2 IMR 17670
    P90 works safe on 2 IMR 18650
    ---
    ---
    P91 works safe on 2 protected 17500
    P91 works safe on 2 protected 17670
    P91 works little hard on 2 protected 18500
    P91 works little hard on 2 protected 18650
    ---
    P91 works safe on 2 IMR 16340
    P91 works safe on 2 IMR 18350
    P91 works hard on 2 IMR 17670
    P91 works very hard on 2 IMR 18500
    P91 works very hard on 2 IMR 18650

Quote Originally Posted by fivemega View Post
    Unless longe run time is needed. For example if host can take 2 protected 18500, then run time will be almost 3 time longer than 2 IMR16340
    I'd only dare using it for about 10 minutes on a charge, or perhaps 3 minutes at a time for fear of heat. But it's quite an impressive few minutes!

That's an excellent chart, by the way. It looks like it only covers bulb life concerns, but it's excellent to know.

Quote Originally Posted by HotWire View Post
    I've used the P60 lamp in a Surefire with a single 17670. A nice soft warm glow emits for creeping around the house at night. I ended up with a few P60 lamps after modifying the Surefire hosts for an LED or brighter incandescent lamp. Some people say that the low voltage will make them turn black, but mine is still crystal clear. You could buy cheaper hosts and install the P60 and an 18650 to give you longer run time. Welcome to CPF!
    What kind of runtime do you get?
    "Pi is exactly three!" Professor Frick

Smile Re: what to do with SF incan lamps?

Hi everyone,this is my very first post in the forum.a few years back my buddy gave me a surefire ,my first surefire an e1e.since then I fall in love with surefire incandescent light,I sleep with a 9p under my pillow.feel much secure.nothing out there beat the glory beam of the p91.

Welcome to CPF, LittleLantern!

Your friend sounds quite generous, and an E1e is a great choice. You might want to stock up on bulbs pretty soon, but those things are remarkably solid little lights.

Thankfully Lumens Factory is still making replacement bulbs for SureFire's older Inca. models.

Stocking up on E1E bulbs shouldn't be a problem. But yeah, better done sooner than later.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Hi there, when the time I got the e1e,I m a regular guy with little knowledge about flashlight and yet become a flasholic,all I knew is change the battery once a week .Then one night the e1e failed to worked, I frantically look for the replacement lamp and got some 250 miles down south,I tried to modify several bi pin xenon lamp to replaced to mn01 but none of it beat the hotspot, beam quality ,runtime and the reliability of the mn01.stockpiling is a must .I tried before the lumens factory eo 1 r 90 lumens ,quite bright and shorter runtime.the p91 and p 90 is the most prized possession in my collection.