Spoiled by ZL SC600W -- now what?

hatman

Enlightened
I admit it: I've been spoiled by my SC600W. I like the tint -- and I like having that many lumens blasting out of a single battery light.

But the SC600 series is too heavy and bulky for me to carry in my pants -- and certainly in my running shorts, now that the weather is warmer. My 600 series is strictly for when the weather is bad enough to wear a jacket or coat and I can stick it in the pocket.

So here's the puzzle for all you quiz masters: What's smaller than an SC600 but packs nearly as much wallop with an equally good quality tint?

Hint: My beloved SC60W also is excellent but isn't light-weight enough for shorts.
And my SC51C just doesn't put out enough light for me to use while dog walking.

I like clickies and single battery lights and prefer neutral tints, if I can get them.

Before I got my 600W, I was using my ThruNite IA or IC neutrals. But, like the title says, my 600 has spoiled me.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
For something a little lighter? What about the Xeno E03 XML NW or warmwhite ;)

I don't think you can get more than 500-600 lumens in a smaller package safely. Even the sc600 bucks down to 500 lumens after 5 min.
What's your price limit?

hatman

Enlightened
For something a little lighter? What about the Xeno E03 XML NW or warmwhite ;)

I don't think you can get more than 500-600 lumens in a smaller package safely. Even the sc600 bucks down to 500 lumens after 5 min.
What's your price limit?

I'm looking at under $100 lights but would consider more for the right combination.

Should have added that pocket-carry requires a clip -- did the Xeno ever get a factory clip?

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Check out the Klarus XT11. Same size, but more OTF lumens with primaries. Lets say 700. is that enough wallop for you?

Um, the XT11 is longer by an inch or so than the SC600...so if the SC600 was too big, the XT11 would be too big too. I love the XT11, The UI is the best I've used, bright as all get out, and is more powerful and to me, useful than the SC600's, and its MY EDC....but its not the right choice for THIS context if the SC600 is too big (I have the SC600 and SC600W, and like them too)

:D

I'd say for running, maybe go with the headlight version of the SC600 so you have hands free, and no pocket carry issues.

indychris

Newly Enlightened
But the SC600 series is too heavy and bulky for me to carry in my pants -- and certainly in my running shorts, now that the weather is warmer.

Not at all suggesting you don't, but merely out of curiosity, why do you need so many lumens for running? I carry my IncenDio while jogging and it's just about perfect. It's a 123A light, not a AA, but 3" it packs a pretty good punch brightness-wise, though I don't think nearly what the SC600 does. And I believe if you use a RCR123A it will boost to over 500 lumens with an XM-L.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SC600w at 107 mm is only 10 mm longer than a 1AA click flashlight which is 1/6 the brightness.
You are not going to find anything smaller with the same brightness with 18650 or 2*CR123A because everyone else uses rear click switches which adds 1/4" to 1/2" to the length.
The SC51 is among the most powerful of the single cell flashlights. The SC31 has a tad more lumens but nowhere near the SC600. There is also a heat dissipation issue with the smaller lights.

I do not think you will find anything smaller and can maintain the brightness of a SC600 for extended periods.

So in addition to TEEJ's suggestion for H600(w), I would suggest getting a belt holster to carry your SC600 in.

-----

Some sizes and outputs for reference:
SC600w
Bezel Diameter: 30mm
Body Diameter: 25.4mm
Length: 107mm
Weight 2.95 oz(87.2 g) without battery
430Lm with 645Lm turbo in the first 5 min

SC51w
Diameter: 0.85 inch (22 mm)
Length: 3.15 inch (80 mm)
Weight 1.3 oz
164 Lm

-

SC31W
Diameter: 0.85 inch (22 mm)
Length: 2.60 inch (67 mm)
Weight 1.1 oz
189Lm

Neutral white Quark X AA² with a AA body & 14500 battery. The AW flat top battery will not work. You need the button top ones.
Diameter: 0.86 inches (22 mm)
Length: 3.8 inches (97 mm)
Weight: 1.8 ounces
~260Lm (280Lm for the cool head minus 7%) This is still 1/2 the brightness of a SC600w.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?322177-Custom-Quark-AAX
I carry my 'neutral white Quark X 14500 Tactical' in a cell phone pouch with 2 batteries in a DX 2 AA battery case. My Quark MiNi AA is in my pocket.
(You may try the X AA² head with a 123 body and RCR123A but I am not sure they will lego. Ask first.)

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
It depends where/how you run.

On flat even foot paths, with good lines of sight, and no concerns about what's in the shadows, etc...almost no light will work...moonlight, etc, is fine.

Where the paths are rocky or uneven, and/or there might be things of concern to avoid, like nails, broken glass, rattle snakes, low hanging branches, roots, lurkers in shadows, etc...and/or the trail undulates/doesn't give a long sight line...you need more light to be able to safely run along there.

Some lights cast a small but bright beam, good for distances, but hard to use for obstacle avoidance at speed. Others cast a broad flood, good for obstacle avoidance, but poor at penetrating distant areas of concern.

So, its not just the lumens, its how they are distributed, and how you NEED them distributed for YOUR terrain.

:D

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is also the H600 which is smaller and lighter and the SC600.

ZL Angled lights, when properly utilized, are much more versatile than standard flashlights.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

ZL Angled lights, when properly utilized, are much more versatile than standard flashlights.

Excellent point!

And that would allow arm band, belt, etc mounting options as well.

spc smith

Enlightened
hey TEEJ,

you hit right on that point of the XT11 being a bit bigger than the SC600. well done.. well done. unfortunately, being daddy, husband and many other roles keeps me uninformed about the facts of light (life) ! lol. This requires me to put attention to detail in other areas. But !, even still I know that it comes with quite a nice holster (curtesy of marshalls review).

hatman

Enlightened

Interesting thought, David -- it's a bit shorter and considerably lighter than the SC600, with similar output and tint.

hatman

Enlightened
Tod at IlluminationGear offered this further explanation of the differences between the SC600 and the H600 -- thanks, Tod.

The ZL H series are intended as headlamps, and thus a lot lighter build
(you don't want heavy things bouncing and banging around on your forehead).

The emitter is one side rather than on end, and switch is on end rather than on side.

The H600 has much much thinner material, and no real "head" to speak of - this is why the weight is so much lower than the SC600. The reflector is also shorter and narrower than the SC600 - so output is more floody.
The H600 turbo time is also shortened to minimize the heat build up.

Fortunately/unfortunately - the SC600 and H600 are the lumen kings using 1x18650, and, also the smallest most compact - everything else pales in comparison.
The only way to get smaller-lighter is to go to a different power source.

austin870

Newly Enlightened
I am also battling between the SC600 and H600. Both versatile in their own ways. I can't figure which would suit me most.

MarkIAlbert

Newly Enlightened
How about a JetBeam RRT-0 in XML? I have two - Love them. Great UI. Small. Bright (~500lm). Not too expensive... But... they are CR123(A) powered.

ToyTank

Enlightened
Get a AA or CR123A form factor zebralight that way no gambling with the tints since you know you like the w.

I also really like the Quark 123 Minis. I have a NW MiniX 123 and is very bright with IMR. I also bought a Mini123 CRI on 4sevens daylight savings sale. Very small and very bright.
Price is nice for a quality light.

robeden

Newly Enlightened
Try the Jetbeam rrt-01 or Niteye eye10. Powered by 18350 batteries they both go to 500 lumens. On IMR18350 the Eye10 was tested to 660 lumens! Its only ~80mm long and much lighter than the SC600.
Because summer is coming, that is the very reason I got the JB instead of ZL.

alex21

Newly Enlightened
He wants a neutral/warm tint, so eye-10 and rrt-01 are out (both great lights) Doesn't the SC52W do 500 lumens w/14500? How noticable is 750lm 500lm?

kwak

Enlightened
Here are some H600 SC600 comparison pics.

With battery:

IMG_1757.jpg

IMG_2141.jpg

Without batttery

IMG_1759.jpg

IMG_2146.jpg

H600 with battery and strap

IMG_2139.jpg

Size comparison

IMG_0360.jpg

IMG_1530.jpg