Klarus
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will The Classic Ti-PD Ever Be Produced Again?

Default Re: Will The Classic Ti-PD Ever Be Produced Again?

Quote Originally Posted by easilyled View Post
    It would be great if Spark thought out the design themselves but I can't help thinking that they were heavily influenced by the background work that Don did, due to the similarities of the respective reflectors for this particular application (ie flashlights)
    It's entirely possible Spark's design was derived from Don's prototype, but it's equally possible that Spark's design was derived from the design of some car headlamps, and that Spark never saw the photos of Don's prototype. Only the people directly involved with its development know for sure, and unless they left a paper trail, there's no way to verify whatever story they might tell.

But in any event, there are limits to what can be reasonably claimed to be innovation vs. what is merely the application of existing technology to a new context. Car lamps using side-emitting designs pre-date Don's prototype, and I don't think it's fair to say that this specific project represented genuine innovation; it's really just the application of existing fixed lighting technology to the context of a portable light. If that could be claimed to be innovative, then it would also be valid to claim that using any reflector in a flashlight was also innovative, in which case we all owe the inventor of the reflector flashlight (or their descendants) a lot of money.

Hey guys,
    I think automotive lighting could be considered portable and not fixed. If my ideas influenced this Sparks's design then it wasn't a complete waste of my time or energy in sharing the idea. If not I wouldn't be surprised either. I still think of the design idea on occasion and conjure vapor lights using it. Realistically my only claim here is that I came up with the idea on my own having not seen it elsewhere but the thought process in bringing me to this possible solution was a process others could follow as well.

I have an idea for a dive light that would use this type of optic strategy and if I ever do get around to doing something with the idea I would like to think that my original prototype and sharing it publicly would at least grant me admission to pursue the idea without someone else claiming I was stepping on their IP.
    Build Prices .... some mods and builds (not 4 sale) "Nature can be cruel- but we don't have to be."~ Temple Grandin

What do you guys think about modding these older PD lights? I absolutely love love love the looks of the LS20, one of the hottest lights ever, and when/if I can afford one, I'd love to get one off the BST. But I don't think the guts are ideal for me. If there was a way to cross the LS20 and the Haiku I'd be a happy camper. I think a standard reflector with an XM-L (no mini LEDs) and three modes in the LS20 host would be sweet. Can such a thing even be done? I am no modder and don't have much knowledge of the possibilities out there.
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review MY LIGHTS!! McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It. Why buy a cheap bright light when a dim expensive one will do?

What do you guys think about modding these older PD lights?
    I've turned down more than one request for machining work on the Ti PD-S. I might swap out the trit in my piston but that's as much as I'd want to do to this classic. Some lights aren't meant for additional machining.

One member sent in an early PD piston, I believe it was brass or bronze with a nickel coating. There's just barely enough space for three 1.5x5mm vials:

a way to cross the LS20 and the Haiku I'd be a happy camper. I think a standard reflector with an XM-L (no mini LEDs) and three modes in the LS20 host would be sweet. Can such a thing even be done?
    That is far above my pay grade but others here can do that mod if it's possible.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights, gun repairs, blueing & custom work * PM's disabled * Please Email & PayPal through Precision-Gunsmithing.com

Quote Originally Posted by precisionworks View Post
    My PD-S was purchased during the last wave, seems like 2008? EDC'd every day since then. Probably shouldn't use a light that now brings $800 on the secondary market except that it is my favorite single cell light. It's the last light I'd ever consider selling.

Same here.