Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2567891011121314151617181922 ... LastLast

Thread: P60 modules -warm, neutral, cool white/XRE-XPE-XPG-S2-XML-U2 / NICHIA 92CRI (part 10)

Default Re: P60 modules -warm, neutral, cool white/XRE-XPE-XPG-S2-XML-U2 / NICHIA 92CRI (part

I would like to order the following drop-in with the new Nichia 219 LED:

$35 Nichia 219 (4500k 92CRI Neutral)
    $5 Thermal Potting & Copper Tape
    $5 Intl. Shipping
    $45 Total

Specs: 1 level 2.8 - 6 volts / LOP reflector / driven a bit lower if there's a choice... I prefer more runtime and good heat management over peak levels of brightness.

Last edited by red_hackle; 06-10-2012 at 03:49 PM.
    Touch my food, feel my fork!

Default Re: P60 modules -warm, neutral, cool white/XRE-XPE-XPG-S2-XML-U2 / NICHIA 92CRI (part

As dicussed via PM...

Payment Sent (Unique Transaction ID 88446587CK8714014)

for two drop ins

1. 2.8 amp U2 XML Potted OP
    2. 3.1 amp U2 Potted OP

both three level
    Currently into SPYs....
    My Lights In Detail

Hi, Dave. I'm thinking about the following:

1) XM-L U2 flux bin 1C 6500k+ Cool White, 3 stage w/ memory,thermally potted, rated to 9V (for Solarforce L2T w/ 18650), $45 +$5
    2) XM-L T60 flux bin 3C 5000k daylight white, 3 level Low / Med / High Regulated, thermally potted, 2.8-6v (for Fivemega Cooly or 2P 18650 1D M@g), $40 +$5
    3) XM-L T50 flux Bin 4C 4300K neutral white, 3 level Low / Med / High Regulated, thermally potted, 2.8-6v, (for Fivemega Cooly or 2P 18650 1D M@g), $40 +$5

Do these seem like reasonable choices for these lights? Thanks for any insight.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by red_hackle View Post
    I would like to order the following drop-in with the new Nichia 219 LED:

$35 Nichia 219 (4500k 92CRI Neutral)
    $5 Thermal Potting & Copper Tape
    $5 Intl. Shipping
    $45 Total

Specs: 1 level 2.8 - 6 volts / LOP reflector / driven a bit lower if there's a choice... I prefer more runtime and good heat management over peak levels of brightness.

Hi

I usually push these at 1.4 amps which is fine for the emitter since it specs at 1.5 amps but I can certainly remove a resistor to drop the amperage down one notch to about 1.05 amps. This will help with runtime, let me know for sure if this is what you would like.

thanks

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by abanytime View Post
    Hi, Dave. I'm thinking about the following:

1) XM-L U2 flux bin 1C 6500k+ Cool White, 3 stage w/ memory,thermally potted, rated to 9V (for Solarforce L2T w/ 18650), $45 +$5
    2) XM-L T60 flux bin 3C 5000k daylight white, 3 level Low / Med / High Regulated, thermally potted, 2.8-6v (for Fivemega Cooly or 2P 18650 1D M@g), $40 +$5
    3) XM-L T50 flux Bin 4C 4300K neutral white, 3 level Low / Med / High Regulated, thermally potted, 2.8-6v, (for Fivemega Cooly or 2P 18650 1D M@g), $40 +$5

Do these seem like reasonable choices for these lights? Thanks for any insight.

Andy
    Hi Andy

Sure with those choices you have a 3 different tints so you will get a good rendition of what the different tints look like to your eyes. All are good choices as far as the tints go.

Just a note on the 9 volt driver, it works quite well with 2XCR123 primaries or 2X li ions but while it will work with a 1X li ion it will not develop full amperage on just a single li ion. Just wanted to note that too you. Seldom does any 9 volt driver work as well on a single li ion as a lower voltage does. This will give you a good choice on both batts and tints with these three.

Thanks

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by nailbender View Post
    Hi Andy

Sure with those choices you have a 3 different tints so you will get a good rendition of what the different tints look like to your eyes. All are good choices as far as the tints go.

Just a note on the 9 volt driver, it works quite well with 2XCR123 primaries or 2X li ions but while it will work with a 1X li ion it will not develop full amperage on just a single li ion. Just wanted to note that too you. Seldom does any 9 volt driver work as well on a single li ion as a lower voltage does. This will give you a good choice on both batts and tints with these three.

Thanks

Dave
    Thanks, Dave. Paypal incoming.

Andy

Hey Dave,

I need another P60 module.
    Cree XM-L U2 ($40),
    Potting with Cu Tape (+ $5),
    One level regulated, 2.8-6V, 2.8A driver,
    OP Reflector,
    Stock SF C2, one 17670 LiCoO2 or two CR123A
    Total=$45
    Robert_M

Thanks!

Wow!
    I can't believe how fast this came!
    NC to CA over the wknd.

219 in SMO throws surprisingly well.
    Maybe even as well as my 3.5a XML SMO?!
    4C and 219 have similar tints.

I'll have to test.

One note- in my little twisty 18500 host I was smashing the pos spring down which created a short and only gave
    me high mode.

I'll probably trim the pos spring down a tad.
    Didn't happen with my IMR cell which is 1mm shorter or more.
    It's a Solarforce L2M btw. But I could see this happen in other situations where the drop is smashed into the
    host overly tight
    User error.

Dave

Semi-noob here...

My host is a Solarforce L2P
    I’ll be using #2 CR123 primaries or #1 AW 18650@3100 or less mAh

The specs on my host state:

Input Voltage Available (LED Module)
    0.8-4.2V, 4.2-8.4V, 3-18V

1- Will the config below work okay?
    2- The CR123's I have measure 3.25V when fresh, so two would be at 6.5V...is that going to be a problem?
    3- Is it better to have the pill glued or not glued to the reflector?

XML U2 1C 6500K Cool White
    2.8-6V
    3.1A
    3 LEVEL L-M-H
    Regulated
    Memory
    LOP Reflector
    Potted

Thanks-
    Last edited by aL01; 06-11-2012 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by psychbeat View Post
    Wow!
    I can't believe how fast this came!
    NC to CA over the wknd.

219 in SMO throws surprisingly well.
    Maybe even as well as my 3.5a XML SMO?!
    4C and 219 have similar tints.

I'll have to test.

One note- in my little twisty 18500 host I was smashing the pos spring down which created a short and only gave
    me high mode.

I'll probably trim the pos spring down a tad.
    Didn't happen with my IMR cell which is 1mm shorter or more.
    It's a Solarforce L2M btw. But I could see this happen in other situations where the drop is smashed into the
    host overly tight
    User error.
    Hi

I put a longer center spring on it becuase it was a Solar Force, sorry. It is very hard to try to set these up for solar force hosts especially lego's since they have many models and all are different lengths.
    Yes you should be able to trim pos spring but if not send it back and I will put a shorter one on.
    The IMR's while safe chemistry they do not have a PCB so they are a couple of MM shorter which will help. I never know if folks are using all protected or non-protected as I do, with non protected in Solar Forces they will often rattle.

If you have problems let me know.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by aL01 View Post

Dave

Semi-noob here...

My host is a Solarforce L2P
    I’ll be using #2 CR123 primaries or #1 AW 18650@3100 or less mAh

The specs on my host state:

Input Voltage Available (LED Module)
    0.8-4.2V, 4.2-8.4V, 3-18V

1- Will the config below work okay?
    2- The CR123's I have measure 3.25V when fresh, so two would be at 6.5V...is that going to be a problem?
    3- Is it better to have the pill glued or not glued to the reflector?

2.8-6V
    3.1A
    3 LEVEL L-M-H
    Regulated
    Memory
    LOP Reflector
    Potted

Thanks-

Hi

It really doesn't matter what it says on your host since it is describing the modules battery config more than the host. With a P60 host it depends on the modules specs.

Your specs for a module is fine except I really hate to see you use more than 2.8 amps with primaries. if primaries are going to be your MAIN config then I would switch to 2.8 amps which would be fine with primaries even though most primaries specs say 2.5 amps. The extra voltage will not matter as they will sag when put under a load.

If using the 1X18650 then the specs would be fine.

Dave

Hi

It really doesn't matter what it says on your host since it is describing the modules battery config more than the host. With a P60 host it depends on the modules specs.

Your specs for a module is fine except I really hate to see you use more than 2.8 amps with primaries. if primaries are going to be your MAIN config then I would switch to 2.8 amps which would be fine with primaries even though most primaries specs say 2.5 amps. The extra voltage will not matter as they will sag when put under a load.

If using the 1X18650 then the specs would be fine.

Dave
    Is there much of a difference in lumens between #2 CR123's and #1 18650?

Is there much of a difference in lumens between #2 CR123's and #1 18650?

Hi

There really should not be any difference between the two as far as lumens since it is regulated. The 1X18650 will have about twice the run time or so that 2XCR123 primaries will have.

Dave

Dave-
    PP sent $45

2.8-6V
    2.8A
    3 LEVEL L-M-H
    Regulated
    Memory
    LOP Reflector
    Potted/Copper Tape

Solarforce L2P using #2 CR123 primaries or #1 AW 18650@3100mAH or less

Dave...is this okay with RCR123's also?
    Last edited by aL01; 06-12-2012 at 07:53 AM.

Hi

All orders shipped

Dave

Dave-
    PP sent $45

2.8-6V
    2.8A
    3 LEVEL L-M-H
    Regulated
    Memory
    LOP Reflector
    Potted/Copper Tape

Solarforce L2P using #2 CR123 primaries or #1 AW 18650@3100mAH or less

Dave...is this okay with RCR123's also?

HI

If you look at the specs you gave me you will have answered your question, 6 volts max which is how it was built and shipped at lunch today.

Dave

My bad...got it-

Thanks for the quick ship!

My bad...got it-

Thanks for the quick ship!
    Hi

While there are many drivers that state configs that accommodate both single and double Li ions few do the job properly especially in the size we need for modules. Most higher voltage drivers are not very efficient and often dont achieve the proper amperage on one li on that they do on 2. The only one I have found is a one level XPG that works fairly well with both configs.

Hope that helped

Dave

I think so....anyway, I'm good-to-go with the setup I got-

Thanks

Just a few observations

On my 219 SMO driven by single AW protected 18500

Low is good for over 10hrs- cell was ~@3.6V at this point.

The hotspot is more intense (when shone down the hall 20ft@white wall)
    than my quads & triples. 5B Xpg &219
    Even on low!
    Not a real use test but interesting.
    Still not sure if it out throws my 3.5a 4C XML SMO.

The intense beam gives the perception of waayy more light on low settings.
    Obviously, a diffuser would be good to use for close up work w SMO.

Just want to give some perspective.

Reflectors can be harsh but do have some amazing properties!
    Last edited by psychbeat; 06-12-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Do the L/M/H modules HAVE to have memory? I rather would like just a L/M/H without memory of the last setting.

Hi Dave,
    I'm interested in a Nichia 219 Linger with low med hi. I've looked over your descriptions, read over most of the current thread, and done some searching, but I'm new to your offerings and still have a few questions.

My host will be a stock 6P powered by either primaries or a protected AW 17670. Does this raise any concerns, would the current draw be excessive for a 17670?

You mention that these won't fit old style G2 hosts, but how old is old? I have a G2Z, so I'm just curious if this means I wouldn't have the option of using that if I ever wanted to.

Am I correct that dimming is done with PWM? If so, how noticeable is it? I'm sensitive to it, so this is always a concern.

I know the Linger tends to have some kind of hole in the beam, but I'm not sure how pronounced it is. Some photos show an obvious hole at normal usage distances outdoors, while others seem to show hardly any even on a wall. Can you give me some idea of what I could expect?

And finally, any advice on potting? I don't intend to be terribly rough with it, so perhaps it might be overkill, but if it improves its heat transfer and ability to withstand some drops, perhaps I might as well go for it?

Thanks.
    There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it. - Edith Wharton HDS Clicky/Rotary Registry

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanHynes View Post
    Do the L/M/H modules HAVE to have memory? I rather would like just a L/M/H without memory of the last setting.
    HI

All my drivers have memory, it is very hard for me to sell non memory drivers. When you order a driver with no memory 99% of the time it means no matter what level you turn it off at and no matter how long it is on the next time the light is turned on it will advance one level. If on high it will be on med. There are very few after market drivers on the market that will with no memory return to a set level so if that is what you are expecting when you order no memory you need to be very careful. I only know of one driver on the market that returns to a set level when in no memory and I have found too many problem with it to use it.

You did not mention what you are after emitter wise but I do have a couple of drivers that do NOT have memory but realize that this means that it will ALWAYS advance one level when turned off.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by SaturnNyne View Post
    Hi Dave,
    I'm interested in a Nichia 219 Linger with low med hi. I've looked over your descriptions, read over most of the current thread, and done some searching, but I'm new to your offerings and still have a few questions.

My host will be a stock 6P powered by either primaries or a protected AW 17670. Does this raise any concerns, would the current draw be excessive for a 17670?

You mention that these won't fit old style G2 hosts, but how old is old? I have a G2Z, so I'm just curious if this means I wouldn't have the option of using that if I ever wanted to.

Am I correct that dimming is done with PWM? If so, how noticeable is it? I'm sensitive to it, so this is always a concern.

I know the Linger tends to have some kind of hole in the beam, but I'm not sure how pronounced it is. Some photos show an obvious hole at normal usage distances outdoors, while others seem to show hardly any even on a wall. Can you give me some idea of what I could expect?

And finally, any advice on potting? I don't intend to be terribly rough with it, so perhaps it might be overkill, but if it improves its heat transfer and ability to withstand some drops, perhaps I might as well go for it?

Thanks.
    Hi

You will have no problem using a Nichia and any 1X li ion or 2XCR123 primaries. A 17670 will easily handle 1.4 amps.

G2's can be a problem, I have many members that have little or no problems with theirs and others that had problems with theirs, problem is that a few that had problems were shall we say quite vocal about it so I post as needed. Since a G2 doesn't have metal sidewalls it relies on a metal sleeve for grounding which can sometimes cause problems. If you have used other after market modules in it then you should have no problem. As for a G2Z i really have no idea about whether it will work or not, there are way too many hosts for me to aquire all and test.

Lingers will have some center clutter as one would imagine by sandwiching two emitters side by side, how bad it is really depends on how much it bothers you. If white wall hunting then it may bother you in real life i don't see it much but if looking for it you may. Some members use a pc of diffusion tape to smooth out the beam. The module is predominately a flood module so diffusion tape doesn't affect the beam that much.

Potting is a personal decision, it does help with shock and does help with heat but if only using a single emitter it is not necessary but many do opt for it to error on the safety side. It really is a personal decision, if ordering a very high amperage emitter then it is probably better. While heat may not hurt a led it does affect brightness a small amount if temps get too high but with 1.4 amps it is not terribly important. Many want the copper tape as much as the potting. If using in a weapons light it is the only way it will be guaranteed.

Dave

Thanks for the quick response, Dave.

You will have no problem using a Nichia and any 1X li ion or 2XCR123 primaries. A 17670 will easily handle 1.4 amps.
    Forgive my electronic ignorance, but does this mean that the Linger only puts a 1.4A load on the battery? I'm under the impression that it draws 2.8A from the battery and feeds 1.4A to each emitter, but I really only know just enough about electricity to confuse myself. My 17670s are 1600mAh, so 1.4A should indeed be an easy load, but 2.8A would be....

Since a G2 doesn't have metal sidewalls it relies on a metal sleeve for grounding which can sometimes cause problems. If you have used other after market modules in it then you should have no problem. As for a G2Z i really have no idea about whether it will work or not, there are way too many hosts for me to aquire all and test.
    As far as I've noticed, the G2 and G2Z appear to have identical internal construction. My G2Z is running a Malkoff without problem, so perhaps it'll work too, good to know.

Lingers will have some center clutter as one would imagine by sandwiching two emitters side by side, how bad it is really depends on how much it bothers you. If white wall hunting then it may bother you in real life i don't see it much but if looking for it you may. Some members use a pc of diffusion tape to smooth out the beam. The module is predominately a flood module so diffusion tape doesn't affect the beam that much.
    As long as it's not just a glaring hole, I'm sure it'd be fine. I'd probably mostly use it with a SF diffuser anyway.

Do you have an output estimate on the Nichia Linger? And on the single Nichia modules, for that matter?

Thanks.
    There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it. - Edith Wharton HDS Clicky/Rotary Registry

Is this possible:
    * high CRI Nichia 219
    * L-M-H with mode memory
    * Regulated, 2.8 through 8.4/9v to be run on 2 x rcr123
    * LOP reflector
    * potted, copper tape
    my lights.

Quote Originally Posted by choombak View Post
    Is this possible:
    * high CRI Nichia 219
    * L-M-H with mode memory
    * Regulated, 2.8 through 8.4/9v to be run on 2 x rcr123
    * LOP reflector
    * potted, copper tape

Hi

I can do that but it will not be from 2.8 volts it will be 3.6 volts to 9 volts. Also do remember that a 9 volt driver will not run as well on a single li ion. So if you will always be running on 2Xli ion or 2XCR123 primaries then you will be fine but you will not get as good of performance on a single li ion. While many spec drivers that state lower bottom limits and the ability to run on a single li ion few if any perform as well as they say they will. Most 9 volt drivers need at least 4.2 volts to develop full amperage. Also many will show low voltage warnings quicker on a single li ion than a 6 volt driver will but if using mainly with 2Xli ions then yes I have a good 3 level 9v max driver.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by SaturnNyne View Post
    Thanks for the quick response, Dave.

Forgive my electronic ignorance, but does this mean that the Linger only puts a 1.4A load on the battery? I'm under the impression that it draws 2.8A from the battery and feeds 1.4A to each emitter, but I really only know just enough about electricity to confuse myself. My 17670s are 1600mAh, so 1.4A should indeed be an easy load, but 2.8A would be....

As far as I've noticed, the G2 and G2Z appear to have identical internal construction. My G2Z is running a Malkoff without problem, so perhaps it'll work too, good to know.

As long as it's not just a glaring hole, I'm sure it'd be fine. I'd probably mostly use it with a SF diffuser anyway.

Do you have an output estimate on the Nichia Linger? And on the single Nichia modules, for that matter?

Thanks.

Hi

By your conversation I am sure you realize that when I talked of 1.4 amps that I was referring to a single emitter. Since it takes 1.4 amps then you are correct that a dual would run at 2.8amps.

I have not measured the lumens on the Nichia but they are not as bright as a neutral XPG but then neutrals XPG's are not 92CRI either A guess is around 220 lumens, you will not get the 300+ figures that are mentioned at times on the forum since they are based on laboratory bulb lumens with large heatsinks.

While the G2 and G2Z may look like they have the same internals the older G2's had a different shaped module pocket. Surefire modules especially the older ones had a different shaped reflector than a after market does, it was sort of flatter shaped and the old G2's were molded more to this shape. The newer ones do not have the pocket molded to that shape as much so most after market modules will work.

At this time I do not have enough Nichia's to do a dual as I only have 4 and they are all singles already on the boards but I will have more bare emitters on Tuesday if you choose a dual.

Dave

Hi

I can do that but it will not be from 2.8 volts it will be 3.6 volts to 9 volts. Also do remember that a 9 volt driver will not run as well on a single li ion. So if you will always be running on 2Xli ion or 2XCR123 primaries then you will be fine but you will not get as good of performance on a single li ion. While many spec drivers that state lower bottom limits and the ability to run on a single li ion few if any perform as well as they say they will. Most 9 volt drivers need at least 4.2 volts to develop full amperage. Also many will show low voltage warnings quicker on a single li ion than a 6 volt driver will but if using mainly with 2Xli ions then yes I have a good 3 level 9v max driver.

Dave
    Thanks Dave.

Yes, I intend to run this always on 2xcr123/rcr batteries, as it goes in the new 6P, so 3.6-9 volts should be good enough for me. I assume that should be $35 + $5 potting + $5 shipping CONUS (I will have it shipped to a buddy, since int'l shipping to India is way too unreliable. I will email you the shipping address).
    Last edited by choombak; 06-14-2012 at 04:17 AM.
    my lights.

Quote Originally Posted by choombak View Post
    Thanks Dave.

Yes, I intend to run this always on 2xcr123/rcr batteries, as it goes in the new 6P, so 3.6-9 volts should be good enough for me. I assume that should be $35 + $5 potting + $5 shipping CONUS (I will have it shipped to a buddy, since int'l shipping to India is way too unreliable. I will email you the shipping address).
    Hi

If shipping to an address in the US there is NO charge. If shipping to India then it would $5.

Dave

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2567891011121314151617181922 ... LastLast