PEAK
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast

Thread: P60 modules -warm, neutral, cool white/XRE-XPE-XPG-S2-XML-U2 / NICHIA 92CRI (part 10)

Default Re: P60 modules -warm, neutral, cool white/XRE-XPE-XPG-S2-XML-U2 / P60 modules (part

Got the module in today Nailbender, it was very neatly packaged! I just popped the module onto the light without using the copper tape, and so far so good. I don't think I'll need the copper tape, but when I do need them, where do I put them? Anyway, the light is BRIGHT!!! Much brighter than a 100 lm Cree LED on the same wall right next to it, although it does seem that this S2 1T XP-G is a little bit greener than the other light, which was more pure white.

Anyway, thanks again! Might buy another from you soon!

Quote Originally Posted by RCantor View Post
    I'm probably too late but if you used a Panasonic 3100 mAH 18650 you could get 2 hrs at 1.4 Amps as long as your host resistance isn't too bad. Then you'd have more lumens, too. You will need a backup light, right
    It's a genuine Surefire 6P, and I haven't actually put the multimeter on there to measure the resistance, so I have no clue.

I do plan on building another light out of a G2 nitrolon though, however, it might be cheaper to just buy the G2X that comes with a 200 lm LED from Surefire already, but I have no clue how the resistance of those hosts are, nor their thermal resistance. If anything, I'll probably take the 6P off and use that as a hand held light, while the G2 based light will be the weapon light, since my weapon light doesn't stay on for longer than a few seconds at a time, the module/body shouldn't get that hot.

Default Re: P60 modules -warm, neutral, cool white/XRE-XPE-XPG-S2-XML-U2 / P60 modules (part

Quote Originally Posted by SoSideways View Post
    Got the module in today Nailbender, it was very neatly packaged! I just popped the module onto the light without using the copper tape, and so far so good. I don't think I'll need the copper tape, but when I do need them, where do I put them? Anyway, the light is BRIGHT!!! Much brighter than a 100 lm Cree LED on the same wall right next to it, although it does seem that this S2 1T XP-G is a little bit greener than the other light, which was more pure white.

Anyway, thanks again! Might buy another from you soon!

It's a genuine Surefire 6P, and I haven't actually put the multimeter on there to measure the resistance, so I have no clue.

I do plan on building another light out of a G2 nitrolon though, however, it might be cheaper to just buy the G2X that comes with a 200 lm LED from Surefire already, but I have no clue how the resistance of those hosts are, nor their thermal resistance. If anything, I'll probably take the 6P off and use that as a hand held light, while the G2 based light will be the weapon light, since my weapon light doesn't stay on for longer than a few seconds at a time, the module/body shouldn't get that hot.
    HI

The tape replaces the label on the reflector and in a 6P only takes a couple of turns.

Your 6P unless bored out will not accept 18650. As for the green tint, you are the first to think the 1T's are in that area. EVERYONE see's colors differently which is why I never describe tints but most consider it white but it is not 6500K+ emitter so it will not be blue white.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by nailbender View Post
    Hi Pete
    I am sorry I think I am getting senile, I did look and do not have a 940nm in stock but forgot to PM you back again I am sorry.
    You asked about the amount seen, it is of course far less than a cigarette, it is visible but it would take someone with some darn good optics to see it from more than a few yards or a set of NVG's.
    If you think it is too much once you receive it let me know as you will be not far from where I am and I can get you something else in a couple of days.
    This should ship on Monday.
    Dave
    Hi Dave,
    No worries and LOL on the senility. I'll probably try a 940nm when I get back from this next little trip just to compare, but that sounds about right. I've seen a few guys have IR lights that were pretty visible, but I figure, with the low mode, it can't be that bad. Anyways, I'll report back after I get it.

side note question: How do you think these IR leds would fare in one of those "vampire" boards to go in a 1 cell application like a Solarforce L2M?
    Thanks again,
    -Pete

I didn't realize that the tape was supposed to be removed....I put the copper tape on right over the label. Should I take it all apart and redo it??? Or will it be ok the way it is?

Quote Originally Posted by sb_pete View Post
    Hi Dave,
    No worries and LOL on the senility. I'll probably try a 940nm when I get back from this next little trip just to compare, but that sounds about right. I've seen a few guys have IR lights that were pretty visible, but I figure, with the low mode, it can't be that bad. Anyways, I'll report back after I get it.

side note question: How do you think these IR leds would fare in one of those "vampire" boards to go in a 1 cell application like a Solarforce L2M?
    Thanks again,
    -Pete
    Hi

Most IR emitters take fairly high amperages, I would have to check VF's but I am not sure they are right for these applications but then I don't own any NVG's so I really don't know.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by leadsled9 View Post
    I didn't realize that the tape was supposed to be removed....I put the copper tape on right over the label. Should I take it all apart and redo it??? Or will it be ok the way it is?
    Hi

I don't think it will hurt anything at all it just won't pass the heat as well. I have run many modules for long periods with no thermal epoxy so I would not sweat it much. I have been looking for metalic type labels but have found nothing convenient. Next time just remove the label and put on the mailing tube or something and put the tape on the reflector, when held even with bottom of reflector the tape fits the reflector perfect.

Dave

PM sent

so im kind of a noob. im buying a cooly from fm and wanted to get the best set up for it. i was thinking the direct drive 1 setting xml U2 flux bin 1C 6500k+ Cool White with a smooth reflector. and i need to get one of the batteries from you, how much are you selling them for? i was curious if your ssr 90 led module would work in it? thanks for your help

Quote Originally Posted by mr.lumen View Post
    so im kind of a noob. im buying a cooly from fm and wanted to get the best set up for it. i was thinking the direct drive 1 setting xml U2 flux bin 1C 6500k+ Cool White with a smooth reflector. and i need to get one of the batteries from you, how much are you selling them for? i was curious if your ssr 90 led module would work in it? thanks for your help
    Hi

Your choice of the XML will certainly give you maximum power and will work well in the FM cooly. The SST90 will also work but since you have ordered a smooth reflector I figure that throw is important to you, the SST 90 will be easily as bright but will be much more floody than the XML is. The XML is a good mixture of throw and flood while the SST 90 is more flood.

Thanks

Dave

PS PM sent

so thee sst 90 is not that much more bright in this light i take it? is it not getting pushed hard enough? i was looking for a mix of throw and flood but if the two emmiters are not that big of a difference of total light output it would be smarter...and cheaper to go with the xml correct? and i will take one battery with whichever i end up getting. thank you. no charger needed.

Hi

Your choice of the XML will certainly give you maximum power and will work well in the FM cooly. The SST90 will also work but since you have ordered a smooth reflector I figure that throw is important to you, the SST 90 will be easily as bright but will be much more floody than the XML is. The XML is a good mixture of throw and flood while the SST 90 is more flood.

Thanks

Dave

PS PM sent

Hi Dave,

I just have to get another one of these great drop ins. PayPal sent for the following:

led = XML U2 flux bin 1C 6500k+ Cool White
    driver = 2.8-6 volt regulated; 3 mode (High, Med, Low) with memory; 2.8 amps
    reflector = Smooth
    Additional $5 for potting and tape
    Total $40 + $5 = $45
    Will be run in a bored Surefire C2 with 1X18650 or 2XCR123A primaries

Quote Originally Posted by mr.lumen View Post
    so thee sst 90 is not that much more bright in this light i take it? is it not getting pushed hard enough? i was looking for a mix of throw and flood but if the two emmiters are not that big of a difference of total light output it would be smarter...and cheaper to go with the xml correct? and i will take one battery with whichever i end up getting. thank you. no charger needed.
    HI

As I said the SST 90 is slightly brighter but if you are looking for throw and flood then choose the XML since the SST 90 is mostly flood as I mentioned. The XML is more efficient meaning more lumens per watt, the SST 90 can be brighter but not at the amperages we can furnish in a module.

Dave

DAVE, I SENT YOU $35 VIA PAYPAL FOR P60 DROP IN, XRE R2, 2.8-6 VOLTS W/MEMORY, 1.7 AMP., 3 LEVEL, SMOOTH REFLECTOR. MY HOST IS A SOLARFORCE L2 AND USING 2 PRIMARIES OR 1 X 18650. THANK YOU, DENNIS07921/DENNIS CARLSON

And I just received my shipping confirmation from you for this drop in. I can't wait!

Hi
    Here is a update on Wills Joule thief drivers.

I built up a red XPE with the Joule Thief driver and was impressed at how bright it was at 3votls and also how bright it was at 1.5 volts. One could easily see surroundings to walk or other activities.

I also did some lumen tests for a neutral white XPG and at 3 volts it was about 4 lumens while at 1.5 volts it is about 1.5 lumens.

Thanks

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by GeoBruin View Post

And I just received my shipping confirmation from you for this drop in. I can't wait!
    Hi

Yes I had a extra driver so I built yours up knowing yours will be here tomorrow.

Have a good week

Dave

Hi All

I have had several of you ask about the Nichia neutral white 92CRI emitters. I have placed an order but it will be a week or two before they are in stock. There is no real need to pre order as I have ordered enough for most of you and I see no need to clutter the forum up with a separate pre-sale thread as there will be enough to go around. I will post here as soon as they are in stock and then it is simply the standard two or three day wait once I receive them.

As always I am trying to get you what you all want.

Have a great week.

Dave

I'm already planning for my next flashlight, which will most likely have a bored out 6P body and head via Oveready as the host, running the AW 18650 3100 mAh battery.

The XP-G module that I had you work up is awesome, pretty much exactly what I wanted.

For the new light though, I am wondering if there is anything else that will have a good mix of throw and flood and be just as bright or brighter than the XP-G S2 1T tint? I would prefer it to have a little more blue'ish tint than the 1T.

The other possibility would be to straight up have a neutral white tone that will still be in the 260 lumen range.

Any recommendations Dave?

I'm already planning for my next flashlight, which will most likely have a bored out 6P body and head via Oveready as the host, running the AW 18650 3100 mAh battery.

The XP-G module that I had you work up is awesome, pretty much exactly what I wanted.

For the new light though, I am wondering if there is anything else that will have a good mix of throw and flood and be just as bright or brighter than the XP-G S2 1T tint? I would prefer it to have a little more blue'ish tint than the 1T.

The other possibility would be to straight up have a neutral white tone that will still be in the 260 lumen range.

Any recommendations Dave?
    hi

Since the S2 is the highest flux bin available from Cree there are no brighter XPG's, I do not remember if we cut your amperage back to one amp but if we did we can increase which will increase the output. I do not have any other tints in S2 since most of my customers demand NO blue or purple and since the S2's are very hard to acquire few tints are available.

As for a neutral that is not a problem and the stock neutrals run at about 300 to 310 lumens in output.

Have a good week

dave

hi

Since the S2 is the highest flux bin available from Cree there are no brighter XPG's, I do not remember if we cut your amperage back to one amp but if we did we can increase which will increase the output. I do not have any other tints in S2 since most of my customers demand NO blue or purple and since the S2's are very hard to acquire few tints are available.

As for a neutral that is not a problem and the stock neutrals run at about 300 to 310 lumens in output.

Have a good week

dave
    Any other emitters will have a good mixture of throw and flood like the XP-G and be over 300 lumens?

I know we were only talking about XP-Gs before, but I am open to any emitters as long as it will get the job done, since I'm more than likely going to power this with the AW 3100 mAh 18650 batteries (1 at a time of course).

Any other emitters will have a good mixture of throw and flood like the XP-G and be over 300 lumens?

I know we were only talking about XP-Gs before, but I am open to any emitters as long as it will get the job done, since I'm more than likely going to power this with the AW 3100 mAh 18650 batteries (1 at a time of course).
    Hi

XML's are 600+ lumens if you are looking for higher power

Dave

I received my 6v XML low/high neutral floody. It is one beautiful beam and really great tint, perfect for lighting up my (and everyone else's) camp site this summer. I liked it some much I went ahead and order a brand new host for this baby. Thanks
    Elzetta M60 | Fenix E01 E05 | Surefire 6P C2 E2E E2L-AA | Malkoff: M61-219 M61HCRI M61 Malkoff 3D Maglite
    Certified Malkoff Junkie....

And it arrived. Beam is great of course. I'm measuring about 27 lumens and drawing about 200 mA at the tail from a single CR123. It's currently undergoing a run time test. I will report back. Thanks for the speedy service!

Hi

Yes I had a extra driver so I built yours up knowing yours will be here tomorrow.

Have a good week

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by GeoBruin View Post
    And it arrived. Beam is great of course. I'm measuring about 27 lumens and drawing about 200 mA at the tail from a single CR123. It's currently undergoing a run time test. I will report back. Thanks for the speedy service!
    Hi

Will has done a great job on these and they are really pretty cool drivers, they are not meant for blinding folks but for what they are designed for they are GREAT.

Glad you liked the module and the tint.

Have a good weekend

Dave

Dave,

I sent you a pm with some questions about a drop in I am looking for. Just wondering if you can check it out and reply so I can get one on order.

Thanks.
    Fenix PD31 / Eagletac D25A NW clicky in pocket
    Surefire 9P with M91N / 6P with M61 219 / 6P with N.B. 3.5A XM-L
    M6 (PHD & HO-M6R) / Jetbeam BC10

I'd like:

Cree XM-L : $40
    T60 flux bin 3C 5000k daylight white
    Direct Drive
    OP reflector
    Shipping : $5.00
    Total : $45.00
    PP sent

This will be for my FM Cooly
    Milky M375 3xSSCP4 USWOH w/ 1x18650 Leef body and SW02 clicky,Milky X1628 KT4 head on a 2x26650 BigLeef system,P1D-Q5 w/ Leef body,Boxer 24W HID,Wolf-Eyes 6A w/ Cree H.O. drop-in,Amilite T5,Borealis (Mag85) w/ FM3H-2 head,FM 1450L 2 1/4D Mag,SL Strion,SL Ultrastinger

Just wondering if anyone can post a link to a RELIABLE chart on color temperature. Google seems to produce charts with very differing information or too generalized.

I know it's not specifically related to a particular LED, but I"m trying to decide what tint XM-L I want.

Thanks.
    Fenix PD31 / Eagletac D25A NW clicky in pocket
    Surefire 9P with M91N / 6P with M61 219 / 6P with N.B. 3.5A XM-L
    M6 (PHD & HO-M6R) / Jetbeam BC10

Quote Originally Posted by psychbeat View Post
    ^^
    What kind of hosts are people using these in?

If anyone wants to chime in
    Maybe I should've asked in the other thread.

HiCRI XPG would be nice in one o these. . .
    I'm using a Solarforce L2M because I can unscrew half the battery tube to use a CFR123 battery, or reattach the battery tube to use an AA battery.

Quote Originally Posted by mckeand13 View Post
    Just wondering if anyone can post a link to a RELIABLE chart on color temperature. Google seems to produce charts with very differing information or too generalized.

I know it's not specifically related to a particular LED, but I"m trying to decide what tint XM-L I want.
    Try this very good thread:
    Flashlight Tint/Color Reference
    In the past we have had a light which flickered, in the present we have a light which flames, and in the future there will be a light which shines over all the land and sea.
    - Winston Churchill

HI

Thanks for the link for the thread it is quite informative.

All the tints I have are located on the black baseline or black locust line how ever one wants to describe it, I call it the BBL. This is simply a line Cree designates to being the center of the color charts, I try to keep tints that are on or close to the BBL and most of the time they will be of decent tint meaning no drastic blues or purples.
    Now all that said it doesn't help you in what is what so as for most tints the warmer the tint the more incan looking.

The U2 1C is going to be very white no blues or purples pretty much white
    The T6 3C is going to be as described close to a daylight white much like daylight with a bit of creaminess.
    The 4C is more neutral and is a darker version of the 3C more of a creamy color than the rosy look of some neutrals.
    both the 3500 k and the 3000k will be your most incan and warm looking. Again no rosy tints more like a typical incan look.

Dont know if that helps but best I can do with words.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by mckeand13 View Post

Thanks.
    There is no reliable chart. If you look at the graphs of amount of light vs wavelengths of light emitted by the XML there's peaks and a trough. You have to try out various tints in the environment you want to use the lights and see what works best for you. I thought "daylight white" (5000K) seemed like the best from its name but it was terrible. We all know Oregon is the center of the universe but a light with the tint of Oregon's sky at noon (5400K) worked very poorly in the Oregon forest at night.I found a very narrow range around 4500K worked best for me (in XML. In XPG 4000K was fine but a 4000K XML made it very hard to distinguish browns). Even a 90 CRI XPG with a CCT around 2300K worked poorly in the forest - again hard to distinguish browns. In the house it's a great light. It's the one I keep by my bed. Now if I have my 4500K light on and you come with a U bin XML (they're all well above 5000K) that light will look blue compared to mine no matter how white it may have looked on its own. And if you were used to the U bin XML the 4500K light would look yellowish orange.

All that to say if you're tint sensitive you have to try them out in your application to know what works the best. There's no other way.
    Last edited by RCantor; 04-21-2012 at 02:01 AM.

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast