Imalent
Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast

Thread: P60 modules -warm, neutral, cool white/XRE-XPE-XPG-S2-XML-U2 / NICHIA 92CRI (part 10)

Default Re: P60 modules -warm, neutral, cool white/XRE-XPE-XPG-S2-XML-U2 / NICHIA 92CRI (part

You know, I keep forgetting that you've said that to me already after spending hours reading on different combos and what not lol

My bad!

Default Re: P60 modules -warm, neutral, cool white/XRE-XPE-XPG-S2-XML-U2 / NICHIA 92CRI (part

Hi there, nailbender.

I've been looking to buy a new drop-in for my light. I've seen universal praise for your work all around the web, so I decided I'm gonna go with one of your drop-ins.

I just want a recommendation on which one to get. My light is a Surefire 6P. I've used this light for almost three years with a Malkoff M60 drop-in and two RCR123's. I liked this setup except for the sudden shut off when the batteries ran low, so I've recently bored the light out to fit a single AW 18650 3100Mah battery.

What I'd like is a module that is as bright as possible using the single AW 18650 without being too hard/damaging to the battery or have horrible run time (<1 Hr @ high brightness). I prefer a neutral white temperature (~4300K) but I can compromise. I like the idea of having different levels (L/M/H) but don't want the light to suddenly cut off when the battery gets low. Do your modules with multiple levels do this? If so, I'd prefer single level - direct drive. I'd have it potted with tape so hopefully heat won't be a big issue. I'd more than likely go with an OP reflector, though I may consider smooth for the better throw.

Based on that, what would you recommend?

Thanks for your time!

Kris

Hi Dave,

I'll take:

XM-L T60 5000K Tint 3C Daylight
    2.8A
    2.8-6v
    2 level Hi / Low
    Smooth reflector
    Thermally Potted w/ copper tape

$45

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Yadao View Post
    Hi there, nailbender.

I've been looking to buy a new drop-in for my light. I've seen universal praise for your work all around the web, so I decided I'm gonna go with one of your drop-ins.

I just want a recommendation on which one to get. My light is a Surefire 6P. I've used this light for almost three years with a Malkoff M60 drop-in and two RCR123's. I liked this setup except for the sudden shut off when the batteries ran low, so I've recently bored the light out to fit a single AW 18650 3100Mah battery.

What I'd like is a module that is as bright as possible using the single AW 18650 without being too hard/damaging to the battery or have horrible run time (<1 Hr @ high brightness). I prefer a neutral white temperature (~4300K) but I can compromise. I like the idea of having different levels (L/M/H) but don't want the light to suddenly cut off when the battery gets low. Do your modules with multiple levels do this? If so, I'd prefer single level - direct drive. I'd have it potted with tape so hopefully heat won't be a big issue. I'd more than likely go with an OP reflector, though I may consider smooth for the better throw.

Based on that, what would you recommend?

Thanks for your time!

Kris
    Hi Kris

I would suggest a XML and run it at 2.8 amps and I still suggest getting it regulated. Both my single level and my 3 level do have a low voltage warning but they don't cut off, they do shift to a lower level and blink slowly.

I can build a direct drive but it will dim with the battery and YOU have to be responsible to recharge it properly to keep the battery at proper levels where as the regulated is about the same brightness from start to finish and will give better runtime.

The Coolwhite will be the brightest but all XML's are bright.

Dave

Enlightened

hi dave, would you be able to build a drop-in with the following properties: xp-g or nichia 219 in lop reflector, 2 levels low/high (1.4a or 1.7a on high) regulated on 1 x 18650 with no memory (starts back at low after running on any mode for a few seconds)? thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jak3All3n View Post
    hi dave, would you be able to build a drop-in with the following properties: xp-g or nichia 219 in lop reflector, 2 levels low/high (1.4a or 1.7a on high) regulated on 1 x 18650 with no memory (starts back at low after running on any mode for a few seconds)? thanks.
    Hi

I am sorry I don't have any drivers like that. All my drivers have 3 second memory.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by nailbender View Post
    Hi Kris

I would suggest a XML and run it at 2.8 amps and I still suggest getting it regulated. Both my single level and my 3 level do have a low voltage warning but they don't cut off, they do shift to a lower level and blink slowly.

I can build a direct drive but it will dim with the battery and YOU have to be responsible to recharge it properly to keep the battery at proper levels where as the regulated is about the same brightness from start to finish and will give better runtime.

The Coolwhite will be the brightest but all XML's are bright.

Dave
    Awesome! Thanks for the info.

In that case, I'll take:

XM-L - $40
    5000K Daylight White

2.8A
    2.8-6v
    3 level Low/Med/High Regulated
    OP reflector
    Potted w/ copper tape - $5
    Priority Shipping - $5

$50 Sent

Thanks!

sent payment for,,
    nichia 4500k 92cri module
    1.4a,,2.8-6v.
    3 level lo med hi w/memeory
    orange peel reflector
    $35.00 + $5.00 for potting/tape..
    $40.00 total

thank you..

Hi All

I wanted to let everyone know that I will be out of the country from the 3rd of May until the 11th of May. I was not sure I would make it with recent medical problems but I got the go ahead so I will be closed until the 11th. Of course all that have been ordered will ship tomorrow before I leave on Thursday.

Also if someone does want to order it will ship by the Monday after the 11th.

I will try to keep up the thread when I can get internet which is not guaranteed where I am going.

Thanks

Dave

Wow, glad I ordered when I did. Enjoy your trip!

I'll take an XML :
    T50 flux Bin 4C 4300K neutral white
    2.8-6 volts
    2.8A
    2 level HI / Low Regulated
    OP Reflector
    $45+$5(potting and copper tape)=$45

Have a safe trip Dave!

Wait! Where are you going and what will you be doing? Which of your modules are you taking?

Question Dave's Personal Favorites?

Quote Originally Posted by RCantor View Post
    Wait!....Which of your modules are you taking?

An EXCELLENT question!
    I realize this is a SALES thread, but I,too, would dearly love to know which ones are Dave's absolute favorites.

This could be a miniBucket List for me....maybe a Top 5 list?

PsychRN

Enlightened

Default Re: Dave's Personal Favorites?

Quote Originally Posted by PsychRN View Post

An EXCELLENT question!
    I realize this is a SALES thread, but I,too, would dearly love to know which ones are Dave's absolute favorites.

This could be a miniBucket List for me....maybe a Top 5 list?

PsychRN
    i think he mentioned he likes the xm-l in smooth reflector

Flashaholic

Default Re: P60 modules -warm, neutral, cool white/XRE-XPE-XPG-S2-XML-U2 / P60 modules (part

With the Nichia 4500k 92CRI neutral 1 level 2.8-6 volts, what amp choices are available?

Default Re: P60 modules -warm, neutral, cool white/XRE-XPE-XPG-S2-XML-U2 / P60 modules (part

Finally, the forums are back!

I received my drop-in and I gotta say this is now the brightest light I own. Amazing build quality, thanks, Dave. I'll be back for more in the future.

Dave,

PP sent for:

- T60 flux bin 3C 5000k daylight white XM-L
    - 3.5a regulated
    - Smooth reflector
    - 3 mode, hi/med/low
    - Potting & copper tape (+$5)

To be used with a bored 6P running an 18650 and McClicky.

In the PP notes I asked for a 2 mode. I changed my mind to a 3 mode almost immediately. I emailed you about the change as well.

Thanks!
    Last edited by mckeand13; 05-07-2012 at 10:08 PM.
    Fenix PD31 / Eagletac D25A NW clicky in pocket
    Surefire 9P with M91N / 6P with M61 219 / 6P with N.B. 3.5A XM-L
    M6 (PHD & HO-M6R) / Jetbeam BC10

hello,

are your 3 mode xmls compatible with 2x rcr123 imrs in a solarforce l2p host?

thanks

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by nailbender View Post
    Hi

I am sorry I don't have any drivers like that. All my drivers have 3 second memory.

Dave
    okay, how about the same thing but with memory?

Dave, I just love these drop ins. Please do include the label on these too.
    I am ordering 5 more!

LED = XML U2 flux bin 1C 6500k+ Cool White
    driver = 2.8-6 volt regulated; 3 mode (High, Med, Low) with memory; 2.8 amps max.
    reflector = Smooth
    Additional $5 for potting and tape
    Total $40 + $5 = $45 each
    Total for five = 5 X $45 = $225
    Will be run in bored Surefire C2's with 1X18650 or 2XCR123A primaries

PayPal payment has been sent.
    Transaction id: 77V658327H573643B

Dave,

Paypal sent for the following:

Nichia 219 P60 drop in with orange peel reflector, potted, using a special 1mH inductor version of Will's Joule Thief circuit board that he should have sent on my behalf.

Paypal transaction ID:
    82790455KG871724J

​Thanks!

Just received my Nichia 219 Drop-in. Great work as always, love it!
    The Color Rendition of these LEDs is amazing... much better then neutral white Cree XP-Gs.

Dave,

I have two of your excellent XM-L drop-ins and I am ready for a third.I just read through the 8 pages so forgive me if I missed this. The drop-in is going into a bored, Surefire 6P with Cryos cooling head, McClicky and using an IMR 18650, 2000ma. I am looking at a 2-level driver in the U2:
    What percentage is the low at on a 2-level?
    What approx. lumen add is there going from 3.1 to 3.5 amps? What is your estimate of minutes the 3.5 would run with the cryos head before it would be damagingly hot?

Also, although I have two of your excellent XM-L's, I've never owned an XPG. I understand the advantage is a longer throw? I assume based on the amps vs. amp hours of batteries the XP-G's more efficient when driven at the 1.7 amp range. Is 1.7 amps the highest you drive these? What is the approx. lumens one could expect get from one driven reasonably high?I am just assuming from reading but the XPG gives longer run time at the expense of less total lumens? Are the lumens it gives up mostly in spill, so that the hotspots of the XML vs. the XPG would have roughly the same brightness?

Thanks for your time and dedication.
    Last edited by SwatDude; 05-12-2012 at 12:34 PM.

Hi All

I have just gotten back from my trip that was supposed to conclude last night but because of one of our great airlines delays we had an unexpected overnight in MIA so I am a day behind getting back. I will answer all questions in the AM and will work through the back log of PM's since some did not see I was out of town. Internet was spotty at best were I was and my android device I carried instead of my laptop did not recognize the forums reply fields so I was not able to answer questions while gone but I will answer all in the morning.

I will also be back at modules on Monday but with a back log give me an extra day on your orders and I should be caught up by middle to end of week.

Thanks for your patience.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by eg1977 View Post
    With the Nichia 4500k 92CRI neutral 1 level 2.8-6 volts, what amp choices are available?
    HI

I can make them from 1 amp to 1.5 amps, it is also possible to push to 1.7 amps but it will probably tint shift a small amount. High CRI will tend to tint shift some if pushed hard although I doubt it would be much at that amperage.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jmpaul320 View Post
    hello,

are your 3 mode xmls compatible with 2x rcr123 imrs in a solarforce l2p host?

thanks
    Hi

I have a 3 mode XML that will work with 2X li ion but they won't work as well with a single li ion. The standard 3 level XML's are 2.8v to 6 volts so they would not be compatible.

I would choose the 6 volt max if you will be using a single 18650 the most but if you are using 2XRCR123 the most then choose the 8.4 volts

Dave

okay, how about the same thing but with memory?
    HI

My standard drivers for those amperages come in 1 / 3 / 5 levels. I suppose i could reduce the amperage on a XMl driver which I don't like to do since it leaves multiple open contacts.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by leadsled9 View Post
    Dave, I just love these drop ins. Please do include the label on these too.
    I am ordering 5 more!

LED = XML U2 flux bin 1C 6500k+ Cool White
    driver = 2.8-6 volt regulated; 3 mode (High, Med, Low) with memory; 2.8 amps max.
    reflector = Smooth
    Additional $5 for potting and tape
    Total $40 + $5 = $45 each
    Total for five = 5 X $45 = $225
    Will be run in bored Surefire C2's with 1X18650 or 2XCR123A primaries

PayPal payment has been sent.
    Transaction id: 77V658327H573643B
    Hi

Thanks I will get on these Monday.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by SwatDude View Post
    Dave,

I have two of your excellent XM-L drop-ins and I am ready for a third.I just read through the 8 pages so forgive me if I missed this. The drop-in is going into a bored, Surefire 6P with Cryos cooling head, McClicky and using an IMR 18650, 2000ma. I am looking at a 2-level driver in the U2:
    What percentage is the low at on a 2-level?

Low is 5% on all my drivers.
    What approx. lumen add is there going from 3.1 to 3.5 amps? What is your estimate of minutes the 3.5 would run with the cryos head before it would be damagingly hot?

I really have never measured the difference between them but while it will add some brightness it will not add as much as when adding that amount at lower levels. Once you get to a certain point you start to get into diminishing returns and the higher the amperage the more this will be. A guess would be 50+ lumens. If you are trying to determine whether to step it up you need to weigh whether brightness or runtime is more important.

Also, although I have two of your excellent XM-L's, I've never owned an XPG. I understand the advantage is a longer throw? I assume based on the amps vs. amp hours of batteries the XP-G's more efficient when driven at the 1.7 amp range. Is 1.7 amps the highest you drive these? What is the approx. lumens one could expect get from one driven reasonably high?I am just assuming from reading but the XPG gives longer run time at the expense of less total lumens? Are the lumens it gives up mostly in spill, so that the hotspots of the XML vs. the XPG would have roughly the same brightness

I would not say that the XPG gives longer runtimes at the expense of total lumens. Runtime is determined by the amount of current, when you read a led is more efficient than another it is not about runtime but that the more efficient led is brighter on the same amount of current speaking in a basic way. The XPG is not more efficient at 1.7 amps simply brighter, at 1.7 amps you will have less runtime than a 1.5. You can somewhat determine runtime by dividing the amperage into the mah of the battery.
    The XPG is simply a different emitter than a XML, it is much smaller in size, both the XPG and the XML have the same viewing angle so really the throw is not alot difference other than you get so much more raw light from a XML this makes it seems like it has less throw because.
    I think the XPG has decent throw especially with a smooth reflector but to use the smooth reflector you have to not mind a few concentric rings in the beam, they are not visible in real use but are if wall hunting. The XPG will have more side spill than a XPE or XRE but to me it is more usable as I don't like the tunnel like beam that many equate with a thrower. The XML will have a bigger hotspot than a XPG since is twice the size or so. If you don't need 700 lumens then the XPG is a good choice and gives twice the runtime with more than adequate light at around 370 lumens.

Dave

Thanks for your time and dedication.

Dave,

Please,sir, I want more!
    Loving the XM-L T3 3000k 3 level 3.4-9V LOP I got here a few months ago....
    Looking for 2 more.

Would like warm,high CRI's please.
    LOP, and thermally potted,please.
    Will be used in (1) Solarforce L2Xe, with two ET 3100 maH 18650's.
    And one in an L2, using 2 X RCR123A's.

If this is doable, just need a total to PayPal you,please.

~PsychRN

Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141518 ... LastLast