Incandescent to LED replacement PR style bulb

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recall seeing these on the market a few years ago. I'm wandering if there are still good quality options with more up to date LEDs available now. I'd be interested in something that is rated around 1 watt.
Thanks!

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have pbly 5 or 6, of them, maglite original led bulb, luxeon, diamond led with dome and side emmiter tip, sears led bulb, and another no name bulb, the only 1 i use is original maglite bulb in 2c mag with 2x18650. the rest pretty much sit in a box, they are not as bright as 4cell bulb, they draw less so they run longer. their tint varies from blueish to nasty blue
i have not seen anything recently done to inmprove on them, they had a purpose when most flashlights were using pr bulbs, now that most flashlights designed as leds from the start, and pr bulb lights are almost extinct, *(except $1-2 lights, and maglite) no reason to make them. imo

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a thread from a few years ago with a long list of them, search for "PR2"
Dorcydirect.com makes the ones Sears sells;
41-1643 30 Lumen 3V Replacement Bulb
41-1644 40 Lumen 4.5V - 6V LED Replacement Bulb
both currently show as Price: $9.00 but they have sales and discounts off and on through the year. Not fancy, cool white, but decent.

I have friends trained to pay up to 25 cents at garage sales for any well made sturdy plastic 2AA PR2 light (Eveready and Dorcy and others made them, maybe still do) -- with those PR2 LEDs when I can find them cheap, and Energizer lithium AAs, make decent earthquake cache lights and impressive giveaways. They have much better light quality than the cheap angry-blue multiple-LED lights and don't fall apart when dropped or banged around

tylernt

Enlightened
superbrightleds.com sells a 1-watt, 1-9V PR2-base unit (PR2-1WHP). I only have their low-power PR2-W1-WVR, but I am happy with it.

Only problem with PR2 drop-ins is they cost about the same as an entire LED flashlight of the same power.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dorcy has a 2 cell 30 lumen and a 3-4 cell 40 lumen that focus good in fixed focus flashlights. $6 at dorcydirect or $4 at Sears Canada or Frys in the US. Probably a Nichia 10 mm. (model#s in post #4)

Terralux TLE-1F 50 lumens $13-$20. Luxeon.
Terralux TLE-6EXB 2-3 cells TLE-6EX 4-6 cells 140 lumens $15-$23. Rebel.

superbrightleds have a lot of models.
PR2-W1-WVR $5 and PR2-.5WHP $6 do not focus very well.
PR2-1WHP-30V 100 lumens $11 is a Cree 1W for tool lights. Won't work at 6V or less. Cree XP series. My eyesight is not good enough to tell if it is a XP-C or XP-E.
PR2-1WHP-9V $11 is the lower voltage version but the maker has changed LEDs. (suspect SSC-P4)
PR2-3WHP-3V & PR2-3WHP-9V 180 lumens $15 are 3W versions. Very bright but bigger hotspot not brighter hotspot. Also gets very hot very fast. I do not recommend them for plastic flashlights. Metal flashlights with metal bulb holders.

Nite-ize $10.99 The 1W description indicates probably Luxeon similar to Terralux TLE-1F.

All lumens here are bulb lumens. About 65% get out of the flashlight.
For more powerful drop in upgrades:

LED Drop in Flood
Budget Showerhead drop-in for Mag. Fusion 36, now available in warm.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?277748-Budget-Showerhead-Mag-Drop-in.

LED Drop in spot/spill
malkoffdevices,
TerraLUX TLE-300M

The more powerful mods:

LED
How To Mod a Maglite P7 - 38 PICS
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?238641-How-To-Mod-a-Maglite-P7-38-PICS

Hotwire
Hotwire How-To: The ROP and the Mag 11
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?259443-Hotwire-How-To-The-ROP-and-the-Mag-11

Mag LED 2D $27.69 often an sale. 134 lumens, 388 M distance.
Mag LED 3D $28.52 often on sale. 120 lumens, 364 M distance.
Mini Maglite Pro $25.49. 226 lumens, 140 M distance.
Mini Maglite Pro+ $28.99. 245 lumens and 25%, 150 M distance.
Maglite LED now using Cree XP-E
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?304266-Maglite-LED-now-using-Cree-XP-E
New Mini Maglite Pro+ LED Flashlight
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?333051-New-Mini-Maglite-Pro-LED-Flashlight

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
NOT ANOTHER WHAT TO DO WITH MY MAGLITE THREAD. HAVE TO LOOK UP THE INFO AGAIN. WAAAA!

LOL! I'm now going rather off topic for this thread, but WHAT TO DO WITH MY MAGLITE would be a great title for a new thread, and it would be a very useful resource, probably in the H&M section.

If you would like to start a thread like that with the material you have posted above and any more you think suitable, let me have the link and we can probably pin it there as a sticky.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the tips. I like the 1 watt 100 lumen bulb with the Cree XPE or XPC LED on Superbrightleds. I want to use it in a 4xAA Xenon bike light for more run time and light. I know that serious bike lights have at least 5x the lumens, but can't afford that now.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all the tips. I like the 1 watt 100 lumen bulb with the Cree XPE or XPC LED on Superbrightleds. I want to use it in a 4xAA Xenon bike light for more run time and light. I know that serious bike lights have at least 5x the lumens, but can't afford that now.
The PR2-1WHP-30V 1 watt 100 lumen bulb with Cree XPE or XPC LED is 7-30V. I found out the hard way it does NOT work with 4AA lights. I am running it in a 6AAA Mag (2C with 2*3AAA to 1C adapters from those 3AAA 9LED torches).

The PR2-1WHP-9V is the 1 to 6 cell version. The LED looks just like a Luxeon but much brighter so I am assuming some variant of the SSC-P4 (Cree LED die in a Luxeon style case).