Prometheus Lights alpha Series from Darksucks Info

garbman

Newly Enlightened
Hi
Has anyone bought any of these lights from Darksucks?
They seem well made, but are they durable enough for everyday use?
Finally, are you 100% satisfied with your purchase?
I say so because they're not cheap.
In that price range there are many competitors out there.
I know they're custom's but are they worth the money?

Any info's will be appreciated.
Thanks
ps I know there is a sub forum from Darksucks here but I'm very interested in some real user opinions...

Last edited:

my#1hobby

Enlightened
A friend of mine bought one of Jason's lights from Darksucks and he brought it to work so I got to play with it a bit and boy was it bright. He got it a while back with the MC-E in it, and I really liked it. The build was very solid and the finish was beautiful so I see why they are so expensive. If I had the cash I would've picked one up as well.

krevo

Newly Enlightened
I've not personally owned one, but Jason has a pretty extensive torture test of his light on his site. He operates it underwater and pressure tests it to pretty ridiculous depths, he runs it over with a SUV, he drops it on concrete 30+ times. He also freezes it in a solid block of ice and then runs it while frozen. Based purely on what I've seen, I don't think the price is too high when you see exactly how much handwork goes into them.

See links below:

http://darksucks.com/torture_test.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=in-Vd9AC-DM

Last edited:

egrep

Enlightened
Nothing but "real people" anywhere here on CPF.

Jason's work is the very highest caliber. I carry my alpha shorty 9 out of 10 days. I'm planning on a copper shorty soon.

Hi
Has anyone bought any of these lights from Darksucks?
They seem well made, but are they durable enough for everyday use?
Finally, are you 100% satisfied with your purchase?
I say so because they're not cheap.
In that price range there are many competitors out there.
I know they're custom's but are they worth the money?

Any info's will be appreciated.
Thanks
ps I know there is a sub forum from Darksucks here but I'm very interested in some real user opinions...

garbman

Newly Enlightened
Nothing but "real people" anywhere here on CPF.

Jason's work is the very highest caliber. I carry my alpha shorty 9 out of 10 days. I'm planning on a copper shorty soon.

I know that my friend..:)
Im visiting this forum for a long time..

Trident1

Newly Enlightened
I've had my Alpha XML neutral for a few months. Still very happy to have it. The workmanship is something you really appreciate when it's in your hands. Outstanding beam and ergonomics for a 1x18650 light. I use the light a LOT and funny how many people have come up to me to to see it - usual comment is 'WOW'. Its not inexpensive, but as others have mentioned, you certainly get a good value for the money given Jason's design and production expertise. This one lives up to it's billing.:thumbsup:

garbman

Newly Enlightened
Sure Trident1.
The "WOW" factor is really a good thing for us (flashahollics)
But don't you think that the throw also would be another "WOW" factor for a flashlight?
I think that these flashlights don't throw quite a lot for a 500 lumen flashlight.
Am i wrong here?

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
don't you think that the throw also would be another "WOW" factor for a flashlight?
I think that these flashlights don't throw quite a lot for a 500 lumen flashlight.

Most pocket-sized 500 lumen lights (other than the DEFT, obviously) don't have a ton of throw.
I see Jason can hook you up with an XM-L that will throw a bit better, or an XP-G that won't output 500L, but should throw very well in the Alpha head.

If the shorty was able to run on CR123 I might have picked one up; as it is I don't own any version of this light. But I sure like what I see.

andrewnewman

Enlightened
I have had one of Jason's lights for a few months. It is a VERY high calibre product and the MC-E combined with a very nice reflector produces the best flood beam pattern of any lights I own. The nickel plating tarnishes in a pattern based upon how you hold it (hand oils) and how often you use it. The tarnish makes the light feel very personal and in no way reduces the aesthetic appeal.

This is a very unique light and I think well worth the cost. The nickel plating provides effective protection against aluminum oxidation but it is still a little soft compared to HAIII. Expect a few minor dings over time.

S1LVA

Enlightened
I carry my alpha shorty 9 out of 10 days.

I carry my XM18-B just as often. Super bright. Super tough. Nice wall of light that suits 99% of my needs.

You will love any light made by Jason.

S1LVA

Might I add: With the XM-L, Low is perfect for navigating around outside at night time. Medium is great for lighting up a large area around you to see further into the night. High is just plain showing off. Even though it is "only 500 lumens" of flood, it packs a serious punch and I am blown away every time I power up high mode.

Last edited:

Trident1

Newly Enlightened
The Alpha (especially my XML) wasn't meant to be a throw king - it's a good flood with lots of light evenly spread. I got the TIR to get a little more throw (and it did), but it's not a far distance light in general. Durable for everday? -very much so (overbuilt inside and out actually - which is never bad). Feels as good in hand as it looks? check. I think other owners would pretty much all have same happy thoughts with this light. Jason is a good guy to deal with too - he really is into his projects and likes to talk/email with potential owners on what they're trying to get out of his lights. No, he's not paying me to say this stuff:), this is just my favorite light.

krevo

Newly Enlightened
Sure Trident1.
The "WOW" factor is really a good thing for us (flashahollics)
But don't you think that the throw also would be another "WOW" factor for a flashlight?
Am i wrong here?

Not sure if you know, but most of the XML lights out right now are not pure throwers (as the emitter is not as good for throw compared to XPG) and they are typically paired with OP reflectors. There a few lights using XML with smooth reflectors but they aren't midsized EDC lights, they're designed to be cannons (Jetbeam BC40, Maelstroms, etc) You will typically get a very nice, massive wall of light with a good sized hotspot from an XML with a pocket-friendly sized reflector.

Last edited:

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tell me more about your XML Alpha with a TIR. What is the optic like? Can you do a beamshot?

The Alpha (especially my XML) wasn't meant to be a throw king - it's a good flood with lots of light evenly spread. I got the TIR to get a little more throw (and it did), but it's not a far distance light in general. Durable for everday? -very much so (overbuilt inside and out actually - which is never bad). Feels as good in hand as it looks? check. I think other owners would pretty much all have same happy thoughts with this light. Jason is a good guy to deal with too - he really is into his projects and likes to talk/email with potential owners on what they're trying to get out of his lights. No, he's not paying me to say this stuff:), this is just my favorite light.

Trident1

Newly Enlightened
I wasn't sure how the TIR would work out, but I'm liking it. Best way I can describe this particular beam is that it gives a large circular hotspot and softer spill around that. The spill part, though, has a hint of an aspheric to it, ie, a bit of a Maltese cross pattern. The pattern is only visible when light is held very close to a surface, otherwise beam looks pretty round and smooth at a distance. I needed a little more throw than a 1x18650 XML with small OP reflector would give, and it does job. If I can figure out how, I'll try for some beams shots soon. Hope that helps.

Tell me more about your XML Alpha with a TIR. What is the optic like? Can you do a beamshot?

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
PROMETHEUS LIGHTS ALPHA. Stone washed finish, 3mode (L-M-H),(100%-30%-5%), MC-E 'M' bin, tint 'WG', 5700K. (Daylight). Ser.#100

The fit and finish of this relatively new offering from CPF member Jason Hui (Dark Sucks) is quite superb, even the smallest details have been taken care of, right down to the smooth finish on the Ti. clip which is a perfect fit and more importantly works perfectly and is aesthetically pleasing.

The beam from the MC-E emitter (The Maker's Choice) may well have many users re-thinking their emitter preference - It's that good!

It has no artifacts of any description, no rings or discoloration of any kind, just pure creamy white light that has no colour shift as one steps down through the lower levels: This is impressive, indeed, as is the quality and amount of light from this perfectly centered emitter. The tint is that gorgeous vanilla icecream that one used to see in HDS-GT. but this time on steroids.

Much of the magic in the beam is surely due to the aptly named 'BOOM' reflector; it does just that! The output is a very respectable 500 Lu. give or take the odd lumen. A nice touch is that Jason includes the lumen measurement on the card that accompanies your light along with other details ser.#, draw etc.This particluar light actually exceeds the nominal 500 Lu.The transition of the beam from hot-spot to spill is seamless and the spill solid and useful.

Such is the quality and focus of the beam that the cross usually associated with the MC-E is non-existent: Well done, Jason!

I have no criticism of the light at all however for me a slightly rougher finish might have been a little friendlier in the hand: I suspect the 'blasted' finish would add this extra texture: Having said that, I don't mean to imply that the light is in any way unsafe, in fact, the generous fluting around the body offers a safe and comfortable hold.

Some time in the future I should like to see Jason offer this very light in the bronze HA 111 that CPF members like.

The output on low is to my eyes in the 60-70 Lu. range though the efficiency of the 'boom' reflector is due in no small part to this illusion. Even on low the 'wall of light' effect is still evident and for many tasks, low is more than adequate. No moonlight mode in this UI. perhaps later: It would be the icing on the cake and make this an 'Every Day, Every Thing' Flashlight.

Jason can be well and truly proud of his Flashlights, if this example is anything to go by and I'm sure that the quality is up there with the very best across an excellent range of finishes and emitters incl. an impressive Hi-CRI that I'll be having a look at in the near future.

UPDATE: After about a week of EDC, I have to say that pocket carry is the best I have encounted both in comfort and security; the very smooth clip is gentle on clothing and makes a deep carry a breeze. The light itself is performing faultlessly.

Thank you to James Rand for the loan of this brilliant Flashlight. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Z'ha'dum

Newly Enlightened
I have one and I like it quite a bit. I'm new(ish) to custom flashlights and may not be as well versed in the finer points but I know quality when I see it and the Alpha is a very high quality light.
I have production lights that are about 1/2 the price but the Alpha is much more than twice as good, so the pricing seems fair to me (if that makes any sense). I like the light enough that I'm going to buy a second.
It should also be noted that Jason's customer service is among the best I've ever experienced.