Re: Need direction for 2 lights, pocket LED, and monster LED

That thing is beautiful!! Awesome job! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Im talking about the car... :whistle:

deckofficer

Newly Enlightened

That thing is beautiful!! Awesome job! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Im talking about the car... :whistle:

Been into hot rods for about 40 years. Now, as an old fart, I did things different this time around. This is my Swiss Army knife of hot rods, can corner better than my Corvette, lay down a 10.8 @ 132 in the 1/4, and for the fun part, break 30 mpg at 65 on a flat highway. My hot rod buddies said to be fast it could only get 3~5mpg, sure enjoyed proving them wrong. The trick was to give up about 120 hp on the build of the engine (383 sbc), and fatten up the torque as low in the rpms as possible. 516 lb/ft @ 2800 pushing a car that weighs 1790 lbs through a Tremec TKO 600 OD 5 speed, Jaq IRS 3.54 and 31" tires. Gears it so tall that these rpms are in top gear. It is a hoot to drive.
DSC013911014x760.jpg

DSC01409.jpg

Geared tall enough ?

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast

Been into hot rods for about 40 years. Now, as an old fart, I did things different this time around. This is my Swiss Army knife of hot rods, can corner better than my Corvette, lay down a 10.8 @ 132 in the 1/4, and for the fun part, break 30 mpg at 65 on a flat highway. My hot rod buddies said to be fast it could only get 3~5mpg, sure enjoyed proving them wrong. The trick was to give up about 120 hp on the build of the engine (383 sbc), and fatten up the torque as low in the rpms as possible. 516 lb/ft @ 2800 pushing a car that weighs 1790 lbs through a Tremec TKO 600 OD 5 speed, Jaq IRS 3.54 and 31" tires. Gears it so tall that these rpms are in top gear. It is a hoot to drive.
DSC013911014x760.jpg

DSC01409.jpg

Geared tall enough ?

Wow, truly a beauty. :eek:oo:

deckofficer

Newly Enlightened

Yes, ElectroLumens makes awesome lights and the BigBruiser with the three XML's is truly a monster yet very nice size.
If you find yourself near Edmonton I'd love to see your car :D
I've always been fascinated with the open wheels. Truly a work of art as far as car designs go

I do drive that car all over the place, but Edmonton, I'm not too sure. This car for social car groups falls into the Bucket-T group because the fiberglass bucket and rear deck is based on the 1923 T. Is there any Bucket-T gatherings in your area? I wouldn't mind meeting a new group of bucket owners. These are the rides that accept me into their group, and I meet up with them in places like Reno/Carson City, Nevada, Mountain Home, Arkansas, Southern California, and the end of the cruising season, first weekend of November in Tucson, Arizona.

DSC012711014x760.jpg

Forgot scenic Yosemite National Park, what a place to try out a "thrower" against El Capitan.
DSC011961014x760.jpg

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast

The car enthusiasts here, I haven't seen much of a division in car classes, used to love looking at the classics on Sunday nights at SodaJerks... Ever since SodaJerks closed I haven't seen an organized gathering.

awenta

Enlightened

Holy.... something... What is the final ratio?

Do we want to know what it redlines at? With that gearing your in supercar territory. :naughty:

Really nice work :thumbsup:

deckofficer

Newly Enlightened

Holy.... something... What is the final ratio?

Do we want to know what it redlines at? With that gearing your in supercar territory. :naughty:

Really nice work :thumbsup:

Rear gear is a 3.54, top tranny gear is a 0.64, so final ratio is 2.26 spinning 31" tires instead of 25" tires.

You ask a good question, and the answer will show you what an old fart I am, but I'll come clean. Redline is typical for a sbc, probably around 5600 rpm, but it never sees that because of the way I built the engine. A stroker 383 generally produces around 400~450 hp at 5600 and that would be the rpm peak hp was attained. I built my engine so that peak hp of only 320 happens at 4050 rpm. Torque is what pushes you in your seat and a typical build would be close to 400 lb/ft, but at 4000+ rpm. My engine dyno's 516 lb/ft way down at 2800 rpm. Let the clutch out, give it 2 seconds of light throttle and then short shift to the next higher gear. I shift at 1700, in the next higher gear it is 1100, then back up to 1700 and another shift. It has no problem starting from a stand still in 3rd, which isn't bad when you figure 3rd gear can take you from a stop to 115 mph.

Last edited:

deckofficer

Newly Enlightened

Nice car! That's a nice time for the gearing. And 30+ MPG makes it even better.

Thanks. It was the 30 mpg aspect my fellow hot rodders said couldn't be done. I go to most the T-bucket events, some have long cruises. The guys with their 8-71 blowers have to stop for fuel every 30~50 miles, while I, in cruising mode, can go 300+ miles, and still beat them in a drag.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make

neat thing. but i do believe you have a mismatched speedo. :) or does it just go full circle around for another try? hahah.

and yeah..i believe torque is king in a car that is meant to be driven casually. 30mpg is very impressive to any 383 no matter the gear ratios.. the light body does help alot.

------
im curious of this ..what dont i get or am i missing something?

quote: "Wicked backup light :thumbsup:
Thanks, more lumen's in reverse than going forward. lol
Need some HIDs for the front"

what light.. where?

deckofficer

Newly Enlightened

neat thing. but i do believe you have a mismatched speedo. :) or does it just go full circle around for another try? hahah.

and yeah..i believe torque is king in a car that is meant to be driven casually. 30mpg is very impressive to any 383 no matter the gear ratios.. the light body does help alot.

------
im curious of this ..what dont i get or am i missing something?

quote: "Wicked backup light :thumbsup:
Thanks, more lumen's in reverse than going forward. lol
Need some HIDs for the front"

what light.. where?

The thread was about my fabricated LED back up light for the hot rod. After posting pictures, we had some thread drift and the mods moved the thread here, so, here is my back up light that I use a powerful magnet and coiled cord so that it could double as a trouble light.
DSC013881014x760.jpg

DSC013871014x760.jpg

DSC001021014x760.jpg