Recommend good quality AA or C cell sized light for off road cycling

mallakoff

Newly Enlightened
Hi I have been looking at many posts Re: bike lights. There seems to be so many different set ups people are using and i"m trying to narrow down my options.

I want to use the lights as hand helds as well, so not after bike style specific light. How powerful a light do i need ?

I ride a mountain bike off road,

I was thinking that 1 or 2 AA size lights mounted to the handle bars would be good, AA size so no slipping around due to to much weight and also for the practicality of AA's.

But a C cell sized light would be cool too, if some one knows of a good model ? maybe one larger C cell size would have better flood than two AA's ?

I was looking the the Twofish block as the mount ,plenty of good reviews, but don't know what light??? so many options makes my head hurt :sick2:

Happy to spend a bit for good quality ,what do you guys think is a good option?

Cheers

Last edited:

mallakoff

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking around ,gonna go for the Fenix LD 22,easy to mount and reasonable price + should be good for odd jobs

A10K

Newly Enlightened
C primary cells (alkalines) aren't very popular for flashlights anymore (Maglites being the exception to every rule), and there's not too many high-quality rechargeables.

I used an LD20 for many years as a bike light, but that was the XR-E Q5 version that had higher throw than more recent models. I've used several 200-lumen-range XPG flashlights and have been underwhelmed, because the same output coming out of the light is spread more evenly over a wider area. Fantastic for night hiking, bad for biking (I found this out the hard way last night when I tried to use my new Lumens Factory High CRI, 250 OTF lumens, to ride home. I'm using my "old" E20 again tonight).

I would recommend either doubling up on them, or getting a single more powerful light. Most of the flashlight reviews on this site mention a lux number in addition to a lumen number.

That being said, the LD22 is probably a fantastic light for odd jobs. Its a little differently operated than the LD20, but with most of the same output modes. I really liked mine.

mallakoff

Newly Enlightened
C primary cells (alkalines) aren't very popular for flashlights anymore (Maglites being the exception to every rule), and there's not too many high-quality rechargeables.

I used an LD20 for many years as a bike light, but that was the XR-E Q5 version that had higher throw than more recent models. I've used several 200-lumen-range XPG flashlights and have been underwhelmed, because the same output coming out of the light is spread more evenly over a wider area. Fantastic for night hiking, bad for biking (I found this out the hard way last night when I tried to use my new Lumens Factory High CRI, 250 OTF lumens, to ride home. I'm using my "old" E20 again tonight).

I would recommend either doubling up on them, or getting a single more powerful light. Most of the flashlight reviews on this site mention a lux number in addition to a lumen number.

That being said, the LD22 is probably a fantastic light for odd jobs. Its a little differently operated than the LD20, but with most of the same output modes. I really liked mine.

Thanks for the reply ,the LD 22 doesn't sound like it's gonna be enough, I'll look into some other lights with a higher lumen output.

Cheers

mallakoff

Newly Enlightened
heh heh ,you like it hey ,hmmm I might stiil try the LD 22 and if it doesn't seem enough I'm happy to have it for odd jobs and will get a higher powered light for riding

Last edited:

larcal

Newly Enlightened
I've also been looking at these for biking. Mallakoff, you might notice that in addition to the fenix bike mount, (or you could use fish blocks but not as cool imo), fenix makes a very handy looking head strap mount that might help for chores or fixing that flat. Anyway, choice is tougher now with intro of LD22, which has it's ups and downs. My main question is about the loose bevel on ld20 you need for lower modes. Can this be a problem, especially on the bumpy dirt roads that comprise 1/2 my rides? I.e, once loose, can it keep loosening? Also, And what is the general biker wisdom about the durability of these lights when handlebar mounted on bumpy roads? Not knowing a lumen from a shumen. am I almost definately going to need that turbo on real dark rural paved roads at 15-20 mph?. Don't need to change night into day, but do need to keep up the pace. If so, and loose bevel not a problem and if don't need memory of l22 then l20 might be better bike light. Quicker to get in to turbo. If anyone has tried the l22, I'd be real interested to hear how that new side switch works with the bulky gloves common to night riding in winter. ld22 might have better battery life, or some say not, just rating them on different (ANSI) standard. Unknown.

Last edited:

ttoshi

Newly Enlightened
The LD20 should be fine at 15-20 mph on the high setting. My problem with the light on bumpy roads is that the mode switch is a light tap at the back of the light, and a bump can trigger that mode switch. I have a different Fenix with a side switch and that is an improvement over the LD20 switch. I think you should be able to switch with full-fingered gloves on, but haven't tried it.

SuLyMaN

Enlightened
Id recommend the Quark X AA Tactical for its nice flood which I've found is better than the Fenix e21 throwy light for cycling but then again, YMMV...

WgXQ5.jpg

glenrexellyn

Newly Enlightened
I have used a Fenix LD20 and fish blocks for a backup light setup for my road/path bike and I don't think that Fish blocks and flashlights are stable enough for off-road use. Check out Dinotte's website, they have a AA setup with great runtime and a stable mount that uses an xml emitter. I think for serious off-road use it would be a great choice.

bluedog225

Newly Enlightened
Good thread. I've got pretty much the same issue as the op. I wanted something brighter (like the Fury) but with a strobe option for daytime visibility and runtime. So far, the Klarus XT11 ahs been suggested in this brightness range but the quality doesn't seem to be up to surefire standards.