Help w/ next purchase...500 lumen question

jdhermit

Newly Enlightened
Ok, my journey so far:
First "real" light was Quark X AA2. Which I was moderately pleased with.
Then I bought an olight i2 for EDC pocket carry. (Good for what it is, a simple pocketable)
Then I bought a Malkoff drop in for a 2D maglite (somewhat happy with this, but wish I hadn't bought it honestly. its "ok")

Now, to torment my wife, I want a new one :naughty:. My question is twofold:
I like my Quark, and Selfbuilt review shows its more like 400 lumens.
Q1- Will I notice a difference from 400 lumens to a typical CR123x2 light, with approx 500 or so lumens? I'm happy to stick w/ AA's, but if I'll notice a difference w/ 2 CR's, I'd be ok with it. (No other battery types, honestly)
Q2- So, given I want minimum 400 lumens (True, OTF lumens, not made up number), 2AA or 2 CR's, XML, floody, under $100, stick w/ 4Sevens/Fenix/Jetbeam/Olight/Klarus , would I be better served by any other light beyond another Quark X (either AA or 123-2)...? Runtime on turbo doesn't matter *too* much.
Other thoughts:
  • would go with Surefire Fury, but it sounds more throwy than floody (true?). This is mainly for use indoors, and I like the floody.
  • Would like something good quality. That's what made me think Surefire, but again, I don't want the throw.
    • The quark has been good quality, except that when I push on the head in lower modes, it flashes to Turbo. Bothersome, but not a big deal.
    • The olight has thread play, so skips modes. Ticks me off, but oh well.
    • The Malkoff I'm just not thrilled with for various reasons, but it does seem to be top quality.
Ok, hope that covers everything....
Thanks!

jd

Last edited:

brandocommando

Enlightened
400 to 500 lumens will be barely noticeable...

As for the 500 lumens from 2 AA's, that's going to be tricky. Battery life will suck, and there will not be enough mass to absorb all the heat either.

As for 2 CR123 XM-L lights, there are several, and 500 lumens is a very realistic goal.

If it were me, I would be looking at 4-7's lights (Quark 123 Turbo X) or maybe a Fenix (TK21.)

Most XM-L lights are considered "floody" because of the large size of the emitter. Look for something with a smaller, or maybe an "orange peel" reflector...

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
what "X" AA² is 400 lumen?
its under 300, thats also what the data given shows ...

Malkoff is not "the top quality" - even when there are others who do not agree with me that: the P60 led inserts of member nailbender are the best that is on offer now.
Can be individualized very easy, that alone is the bomb: bright, level choice, led tint choice, led bin choice, led choice, output power choice, ... !

advise: why the 2*AA? Think of 1*18650.
Why?
the light stays the same size class, but most power in the cell of all the setups, cheapest rechargeable setup, possible to drive an XM-L on very high power, host light upgradable to any new led in future ...
... You WILL notice a difference between the "X" AA² to the high of nailbenders XM-L insert (real ~650-700 lm), while the runtime with the 18650 is the same
:)
(it will have about the same output in its medium setting, with much longer runtime)

You will need an 1*18650 host light then + 18650 "protected" cells + Li-Ion charger
(cells and charger together cost less than a useful Ni-Mh AA cell charger. Thats an additional positive point)

PS: yes, the XM-L makes for a wider beam than other led. You have to put more power into it, to have the illuminated area from main beam looking the same bright
(as this area is much bigger and thus needs more total lumen)

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
For flood on a single 18650, the ZebraLight SC600 is hard to beat...its about pure flood, 750 lumens worth...and its ~ 4" long. :devil:

You WILL see the difference.

:hitit:

I have two of these little guys, and they are very sturdy little beasts. (I have one SC600, and one SC600W) - The W version = Warm tinted

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another choice is the Klarus XT-11
It will be about 500 lumens on an 18650 and is plenty floody, but has enough power to also have decent throw.

Bozzlite

Enlightened
The Sunwayman V20C can run on either 2 Cr123's or a single 18650. 438 lumens. Less than $100 at Battery Junction. Uses the Cree XM-L floody LED. Has what seems to be infinitely variable out put from .05 to 438 lumens.

But that Klarus XT 11 sure looks nice. Has 3 modes and can also use 2 CR123's or a single 18650.

Last edited:

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Sunwayman V20C can run on either 2 Cr123's or a single 18650. 438 lumens. Less than $100 at Battery Junction. Uses the Cree XM-L floody LED. Has what seems to be infinitely variable out put from .05 to 438 lumens.

But that Klarus XT 11 sure looks nice. Has 3 modes and can also use 2 CR123's or a single 18650.

actually four modes, just mash down and hold the second button in any mode and you get strobe. It's there if you need it but almost hidden if you don't. All one handed.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The Klarus XT11 has a floody beam...I really love mine, and its brighter than 500 lumens, with a 600 lumen turbo, closer to 750+ lumens on the afore mentioned 123's, but runs a bit longer on the 18650s.

The SC600 is MORE floody than the XT11, but has about no throw pattern...whereas the XT11 lights up the entire room, but also has a hot spot you can aim into longer dark places, etc.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think today's reality is that it easy to get 500 lumens out of a lot of lights.
Once we break the 750 lumen barrier in the same way It will be time to upgrade again.

rgoal30

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't completely dismiss the Fury. The beam is plenty wide for use indoors. Obviously it's a personal preference thing but I use mine indoors and I don't have any issues with beam width. Its not an LX2 or any other TIR light