Fenix LD12 Review

firelord777

Enlightened
Review is officially done:party:

Hello guys,

A few days ago, Fenix Outfitters had a contest, and, although I never really expected to win, well, needless to say, I did:huh2:. Sent my shipping and arrived in two days. Awesome!
Just google Fenix outfitters and voila:)

So to make it official, LD12 was kindly supplied, courtesy of Fenix Outfitters and their cool contests :clap:
LD12 Specifications taken from Fenix Outfitters:
The LD12 is the new updated version of the LD10. With a single AA battery, you will experience a 115 Lumen output. The LD12 incorporates the side mode button switch in the front for fast and convenient operation.

Features:

• Cree XP-G (R5) LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
  • Uses one 1.5V AA (Ni-MH, Alkaline) battery
  • 105mm (Length) x 21.5 (Diameter)
  • 54-gram weight (excluding battery and holster)
  • Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
  • Reverse polarity protection, to protect from improper battery installation
  • Anti-roll, slip-resistant body design
  • Tactical tail cap switch with momentary-on function
  • Side mode button switch in the front, fast and convenient
  • Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
  • Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
  • Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating
So here is the LD12 in its simple but presentable box:
scaled.php

And this is what you will receive (2 o-rings, a holster, and a good lanyard, along with the light of course):
scaled.php

This picture is really to show the size of packaging compare to other Fenix boxes (sorry, I managed to misplace the TK20’s box, but it is slightly larger than the LD12), and when I opened the shipment packaging, I thought, huh, well that’s smaller than I thought. Maybe I was expecting a bit more size, considering I sometimes EDC a TK41(yah, I know, but I’ll get to that part soon):tinfoil:
scaled.php

I just thought I should include this as well, and I also received a Fenix Outfitters Business card and a coupon card for 10% off :faint:

scaled.php

scaled.php

The usual Fenix warranty card and manual:
scaled.php

Here, you’ll find pictures of the LD12’s head portion (which is very pleasing to my eyes, and explains why ever since I have received the light, I can seem to stop admiring it):
scaled.php

scaled.php

And a well-centered XP-G R5 emitter with no apparent off-center diode:
scaled.php

Constuction:
The LD12 has three main parts, which are commonly found in most lights, the head, body, and tail cap. The head has a crenulated bezel, serial number, mode switch and an anti-roll ring which really works good. The body, well, is just the body to hold the battery, grippy knurling, and it has a ring which is the ultimate anti-roll part (it is not shiny on my sample, but black, which goes really well, and is very strong and actually useful), and I believe it can be removed. The tail cap also has some knurling, and a scalloped tail. Although I originally thought that if I turn the LD12 on, it may be able to tailstand like the predator, but no go L. The cap protrudes just a bit too much. Speaking of which, the forward clicky switch with momentary on is quite solid, so don’t worry at all about it tuning on in your pocket for some reason. Also, you can tail cap lock it by unscrewing either the head, tail or both by I estimate, 1/8 of a turn, which is not a lot, and it would still be able to resist water, on my sample. The tail cap, however, is one I have never seen before. It’s the only “out of the ordinary” to me.
:thinking:
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Holsters:

I didn’t expect to get a holster, simply because I assumed, based on ArmyTek using the same holster for all their models, and the Fenix TK20’s holster would be too big for the LD12, it was welcoming to see they did. It is smaller, and seems to have been made with more thought and thickness than my already worn out TK20 holster.
Here are pictures of the holsters and their respective lights (note, on one of the pictures, my hand shows, don’t pay attention to it, it was to support myself while taking the images)
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Size:

The LD12, originally felt very tiny to me. Maybe it is because I was used to larger sized lights like Predators, TK41, and XT20’s. Not to mention I even was crazy enough to EDC a few of them. Now, guys, it’s like a big change. I take this little guy everywhere now. It feels solid enough for me to consider it a TK series almost, and is surprisingly brighter than I thought it would be for a single AA battery. Considering, yes, although I currently have much brighter lights, I still find it amazing its output and throw it gives. So, its basically my new EDC light. I still can’t believe why I haven’t had a light like this before, as in, a light size class such as this one. Heck, even after a few days, my normal lights like the predator seems, not bad, but just, bigger in the hand. Actually, all my other lights seem bigger, I suspect the economic size of the LD12 spoiled me J
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Whitewall Beamshots:

All pictures taken with equal amount of exposure settings:
scaled.php

LD12-Low-Middle-High-Turbo-Turbo reduced exposures to show beam pattern (balanced)
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Fenix LD12 Turbo vs ArmyTek Predator (middle brightness output from first line of Military) First set-SMO, second set-OP
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Fenix LD12 vs Fenix TK20 at 45 lumens (150 lumens mode-forgot to do, but will throw better than LD12)
scaled.php

scaled.php

Fenix LD12 vs Fenix TK41 on mid
scaled.php

scaled.php

Spill Comparison and Lowest output comparison:

These next pictures show the spill of the lights relative to the LD12 and also their lowest outputs, for example, vs the TK20, the LD12 lowest mode is 3 lumens vs the TK20’s 45 lumens.
Vs. Klarus XT20
scaled.php

Vs. Fenix TK20
scaled.php

Vs. Fenix TK41
scaled.php

Vs ArmyTek Predator (note: you can’t see the predator’s beam because its lowest output is roughly 0.1 lumens J)
scaled.php

scaled.php

Vs. Viking X
scaled.php

Vs. Viking S
scaled.php

Cree 5X Q5 emitters (its nickname is China:))
scaled.php

Waterproofing Test:
The moment we’ve all been waiting for!
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Totally-unprofessional-Dynamic-Water-Integrity-Testing:
scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

Yep, he's quite the swimmer haha:devil:

First Impressions:

Now, I know I should have done this before, but I usually enjoy changing things around. So, here’s the story:
Around March 10-11, I noticed on my usual CPF/CPFMP sessions, one of the latest posts of the giveaway thread by Fenix Outfitters was “congrats Firelord777!”. I was like, “what?”. I never really expected to win, but I just gave it a shot because I’ve been eyeing this flashlight and emailing Fenix to see if they were willing to send me a sample to review, but no luck. So, as you can guess, I was a pretty darn happy guy haha. I sent my shipping info to them, and they shipped it rather quickly on the 13 of March, by USPS first class or something like that, and they sent me a tracking number. As most of you are familiar with, the wait is a real pain:thumbsdow. You just can’t wait, but you have to:sick2:. Sucks, I know, but it came in just two days, on the 15th​. I took the white package with bubble wrap inside and, as usual, tore it up alive! Alas! The LD12 box was finally in my hands. First note I made, was, that, it was a surprisingly smaller box than I thought. I took it as a miniature Fenix TK20 box. I opened the box, and took the LD12 out of the plastic mold. I inserted a AA battery, and took the rest of the contents to the car, because my family and I had planned to go out to eat. During the car ride, I put the lanyard on the holster, and noticed, that, although the LD12 is small, it feels solid enough for me to personally designate it as a TK light. No blemishes, bright, white, balanced beam, nicely spaced levels, definitely EDC-able:devil:, and useful pocket clip. I still couldn’t believe my luck! Fenix Outfitters has been very kind in the email exchanges even when not making profit at the time, and was inclined to pass the favor and review the light (I guess having a good attitude pays off, huh?). They even said (not exactly but close) “Look, you won the light fair and square, no strings attached, if you review it, that would be awesome, and if you don’t, don’t sweat it, it’s cool, just enjoy the light man, no worries.”, needless to say, in my book, I think it is just fair that I return a small favor :)

Second Impressions:

After a few days with the light, I realized it’s low mode is perfect for having it as my bed light when I need to use the bathroom and, you know, stuff when you’re adjusted to the dark. Outdoors, I expected it to throw less than the Predator thrower, you know, lights in that sort of class. I was surprised to see it could, while, obviously not throwing as far as the Predator:mad:, it still threw a good distance. I would say in moderately lighted areas, 75 yards is the effective range (but then again, I'm can't judge distances, only guessing):sssh:, but closer ranges are also well suited, because it has a really balanced beam with hotspot and nice corona transition to the spill.

Conclusions:

The LD12 is a satisfying light to say the least. For those that like it when things are small and yet so powerful, and for AA lovers (like me), this is a good light. I’m sure it can take on hits, drops, and lots of water J Even though it’s not 1000 lumens :devil:(yet), don’t underestimate it and don’t look into the light J, trust me, experience teaches you many things. And on the side note, I am positive Fenix Outfitters will be able to provide good customer service, just send an email and they’ll respond around 11-12:00 Eastern time that day or the next, based on my observations.

If you have any additional questions, feel absolutely, surely, and tremendously free to ask or PM me,
Best Regards, Firelord777

Last edited:

brted

Enlightened
Thanks for the write up and posting all the pictures of the light. Free lights are always the best! I really like the idea of a separate power switch and mode selection switch. I'm holding out for li-ion compatibility and a neutral LED.

firelord777

Enlightened
Thanks man, still working on finishing posting all the pictures, and, BTW, neutral LED's are real nice tints, too bad the only neutral light I have is the TK20. I believe Li-ion model are available on the PD32 models, but if you meant 14500, sorry, got none:)

back to work, and cheers man!

Mr_Moe

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review! Haven't been paying much attention to Fenix lights for years, this one has grown on me. My prophetic ability makes me forsee a purchase in the near future.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any questions anyone?

One thing I was curious about was why you picture the LD12 in its holster bezel up?

It is far more natural to pull the light out of the holster by holding the tail cap. This also allows you to have the wrist lanyard (which you have fitted to the holster - not a configuration I had thought of) fitted to the LD12 and to use this to pull it free of the holster, either by slipping it over your wrist first or not.

If you look at the pictures in the review I posted, you will see the configuration I describe (link via my signature).

I've fitted a small karabiner into the small loop on the back of the LD12's holster. This can then be clipped onto a belt loop.

firelord777

Enlightened
One thing I was curious about was why you picture the LD12 in its holster bezel up?

It is far more natural to pull the light out of the holster by holding the tail cap. This also allows you to have the wrist lanyard (which you have fitted to the holster - not a configuration I had thought of) fitted to the LD12 and to use this to pull it free of the holster, either by slipping it over your wrist first or not.

If you look at the pictures in the review I posted, you will see the configuration I describe (link via my signature).

I've fitted a small karabiner into the small loop on the back of the LD12's holster. This can then be clipped onto a belt loop.

Hello subwoofer,

I usually carry my lights in holsters with the bezel up, it's just a personal thing. But you do got a point there, especially with the lanyard thing.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words as well:)

Stay happy

Aces-Q

Newly Enlightened
Hey Firelord777, nice review. I took part in the contest too but too bad I didn't win the LD12. :( However I just received my LD12 a week ago. It was an excellent flashlight, now I'm edc-ing everyday.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just noticed you have a direct link to a shop site in your first post. CPF rules prohibit this, so it might be better to remove it before a moderator does it for you.

chuckg

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the excellent review! I just love the LD12 and call it the "mini me" of the PD32. It's identical in every way, but smaller and much more "pocketable". Sadly, my wife agrees and has now commandeered the light for her own uses.... I, too, was impressed with this little marvel in terms of light output and beam. Much smaller and lighter than I thought it would be.

firelord777

Enlightened
LOL,

Chuckg, you are welcome, but I do find it amusing how some aren't that into lights, yet, want one, or at least have control over it haha,

Take care

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
You wouldn't happen to have a Titanium Innovations crAA 14505 primary cell? That one has a short nipple on the positive side, and was wondering if it would work with the reverse polarity protections system?
and how much more light (or runtime) it would provide

firelord777

Enlightened
You wouldn't happen to have a Titanium Innovations crAA 14505 primary cell? That one has a short nipple on the positive side, and was wondering if it would work with the reverse polarity protections system?
and how much more light (or runtime) it would provide

I'm extremely sorry, but no, I don't have any of those:( I guess if the nipple isn't too big, it might work. Try comparing it to a normal AA:)

Cheers, anything else, just ask:)