LA Police Gear
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunwayman M11R Mr. Elfin (XM-L U2 | 1 x R/CR123) Review

Grinser2 Sunwayman M11R Mr. Elfin (XM-L U2 | 1 x R/CR123) Review

I might be compact (and some may dare call me cute) but to you, it's still Mr. Elfin SIR!!

MFG SPECS
    MSRP: $78USD
    ● CREE XM_L U2 LED, with a lifetime of up to 50,000 hours;
    ● Output and Runtime of three constant output modes (uses one CR123A)
    - 180 Lumens (1.5hrs) - 60 Lumens (10hrs) - 4 Lumens (70hrs)
    - Turbo Mode: 230 Lumens (uses one 16340 battery, do not run the light continuously at turbo mode for more than 10 minutes)
    - Two Hidden Modes: Strobe, SOS
    ● Digital Sensor Magnetic Control system, slightly twist the rotator ring to select from different modes
    ● Constant current circuit, constant output
    ● Effective range of 130 meters
    ● Uses one single CR123A (RCR123A/16340) battery
    ● Working voltage: 0.9~4.2V
    ● High quality OP reflector maintains great throw distance and spread with an ideal beam pattern
    ● Dimensions: 75mm (length) x 23.2mm (head diameter)
    ● Weight: 45.5g(battery excluded)
    ● Aerospace-grade aluminum alloy
    ● Military Specification Type III- hard anodized body
    ● Waterproof, in accordance with IPX-8 standard
    ● Ultra-clear tempered glass lens resists scratches and impacts
    ● Tail stand capable- can be used as a candle
    ● Accessories: Clip, Holster, O-ring, lanyard

SIZE

L to R: AW IMR | Zebralight SC30 | Sunwayman M11R Mr. Elfin | SureFire E1E | Sunwayman V10R Ti

MEASURED PERFORMANCE
    As part of my new standards for my reviews, I measure the performance on my PVC LMD by first calibrating the sensor's positon w/a Xeno G10v2 (immediately perfectly regulated in med. mode):

L: Quick calibration w/G10v2 in M | M: Mr. Elfin SIR!! shortly after turn-on | R: Lux @ 1m

Mr. Elfin is rather particular about his outputs depending on the battery being used. Case in point, Turbo (replaces H) can only be achieved via 4.2v LiIon (regardless ICR or IMR). Even LiFePO4 and primary cells create different outputs. Below are what I've measured for 3 different battery types.

AW16340
    Turbo - 288lms (~1600lux @ 1m) | Med - 82lms | Low - .3lms

Turbo was taken @ roughly 37 seconds but was 288 @ 31 seconds

LiFePO4
    Turbo - 137.8lms | Med - 29.2lms | Low - .3lms

SF123
    Turbo - 215lms | Med - 55.4lms | Low - .3lms

The LiFePO4 output is rather curious since I had expected it to be higher than for the primary given the nominal v. I'll recheck its measurement and add a RCR3.0V as well.

BEAMSHOTS
    Beam angle
    [to come]

Indoors (5m)
    AW16340 Turbo

AW16340 Med

AWIMR Turbo

AWIMR Med

SF123 High

SF123 Med

TNGY LiFePO4 High

TNGY LiFePO4 Med

ENLP XX AA High

ENLP XX AA Med

For details of the above indoor shots and comparo vs. many other lights, please check Epic Indoor Shots Trilogy

Whitewall Hunting
    I've been receiving a bunch of requests to produce white wall beamshots so I decided to use selfbuilt's exposure settings (clockwise: 1/25, 1/100, 1/800, 1/1600 @ f2.9 on AWB) to allow for some consistency (and thus reference) in these shots (however, in my shots, the light is ~.4m to wall / camera ~.59m) . Of course they will never perfectly match up due to differences between our cameras.

The first set is on AW IMR's and second on LiFePO4's to allow you to compare the difference between Turbo vs. High modes.

AW IMR

LIFEPO4

QUICK WALL SHOT COMPARO vs. V10-R XP-G (not color corrected)

L: M11R | V10R Ti (XP-G)

RUNTIME
    The relevant battery stats are provided above each runtime graph along with:
    - Voltage of the battery at the start and end of the test
    - Current draw as taken right before the test
    - Actual runtime using ANSI FL1 (first in HR and then in M so for the TNGY read this as 1.3 Hrs OR 86 Min)
    - Also captured the temperature: ambient, the head at start and the max it reached (fan was used w/all bats)

Turbo can only be achieved through the use of LiIon RCR's. Case in point, the yellow run is for a LiFePO4 and would not enter Turbo mode. Sunwayman doesn't provide the runtime on RCR's since they warn against running in Turbo for longer than 10 minutes, however, as you can see above the temp doesn't really get too bad (keep in mind though this is w/a fan on). As for the runtime on High, they quote 1.5 hrs on primaries and given that I was able to achieve 1.4hrs using LiFePO4's which have very little capacity, I expect that runtime to be met if not exceeded.

Also, looks like this can be a battery vampire provided the light remains on during the entire run. Case in point, the AW IMR and LiFePO4 were both overdischarged. I can't recall if the PCB kicked-in w/the AW ICR but if using RCR's, it'll be best to stick w/protected cells.

I had a used primary w/resting voltage of 2.89 and was able to power all modes. Another w/resting v of 2.57 wouldn't even turn on in low mode. I was hoping that this would indeed be a true battery vampire (ha, Mr. Elfin... the battery vampire) since I have a few primaries I'd love to drain completely.

WE ARE FAMILY, I'VE GOT MY BROTHERS, SISTERS & ME!

Mr. Elfin's head/body is completely interchangeable with his V brethrens.

MORE TO COME...

=======
    Disclosure: M11R purchased from CPFMP AD
    Last edited by turboBB; 04-09-2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Indoor 5m shots added

Default Re: Sunwayman M11R Mr. Elfin (XM-L U2 | 1 x R/CR123) Review

Literally just got this in and sorry, not full blown review yet. However, I'll add to it as time allows but likely won't get to it soon since I have a few other reviews queued up.

However, I think I've captured the more important details that inquiring minds would like to know but in the meanwhile, any questions just ask away.

My initial conclusion after a few minutes: You must address this one as Mr. Elfin SIR!!

Cheers,
    Tim
    Last edited by turboBB; 03-23-2012 at 07:12 PM.

*Flashaholic*

Thanks Tim!

Looking forward to your conclusions!

very cool! i'll keep tabs on this thread. you rock!
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Nice, thanks for sharing!

Bezel
    Lens
    Reflector
    Or entire head interchange with your Ti V10R??
    I want to at the very least put my Ti bezel ring on Elfin. Should look nice!

It kinda looks like a no-go from here but they aren't side by side.

I'm curious if you are able to comment on the size of the 11 vs the M10R in terms of general handling... thanks!

What does Mrs. Elfin think of something so compact and small with such powerful and bright lumens?
    "Light up the Darkness"

Your light box looks really beautiful...

Thx guys!

@Sgt. LED - check new pics in OP. I didn't try the bezels but I'm pretty sure they're interchangeable as well.

@flasholigist - I don't have a M10R it's measurements are nearly identical to the V10R. The M11R is slightly smaller and given there is no tailswitch, no reason to hold it in an overhand grip in which case it might be a bit small. Underhand grip is perfect and allows for easy action of the control ring. Hope that helps but perhaps if someone who actaully owns the two can chime, that'd be great.

@Draven - dunno about Mrs. Elfin but Mrs. turboBB has claimed Mr. Elfin as her EDC now.

@Peter - Thx! I continued to be impressed by how reasonably in the ballpark it is, its ease of making easily repeatble (and more importantly consistent) measurement after a quick calibration w/a perfectly regulated light before testing (also you've got PM). I'm actually not done with it just yet but beyond what I have in mind aesthetics-wise I really don't plan on changing a thing w/it given how it's performed thus far. If I can make it out to PF18, I'll be bringing it w/me for it to be judged by a panel of peers. =o)

Thanks for your excellent review. turboBB!
    The light looks very cute as you mentioned. I'm waiting for it

Nice light and review. Thanks for your effort.

Thx guys! Runtime & Whitewall shots on Turbo/High now added.

nice beam shots man!

so i take it this light has to go through all the modes if you wanna turn it on to whatever mode is last on the dial?

also, when using with a 16340, is there a special trick to getting it to turn on in Turbo? or is it simply dial it up to max on the ring and it'll do it without any special trick?
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.

Nice review turboBB. The beamshots look good.

I like the look of the build, with the grippier control ring, sturdier attached clip, and tailstanding with spilt-ring attachement. Good to see the threading diameter has remained consistent, so that lego-ing is possible across the series.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Fenix LD60.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

All, I've added some more material including output measurements for different battery types. Will continue to flesh out as time allows.

@tobrien - Thx! Correct, this is not like the V-series w/a dedicated tailcap that serves as primary on/off. The UI and on/off is controlled entirely by the ring and goes from Off -> L -> M -> H/T. As expalined in the measured performance section, Turbo can only be invoked by using a 4.2v LiIon and will replace H. The battery type also affects each output level (except low). Check OP for details.

@selfbuilt - Thx! I'm merely continuing the standard you've set. =o) I've some minor gripes about the ring (could stand to be a little firmer) and clip (rubs against body when unscrewing head) but other than that love everything else about this little guy so far. =o)

Cheers,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by turboBB View Post
    All, I've added some more material including output measurements for different battery types. Will continue to flesh out as time allows.

@tobrien - Thx! Correct, this is not like the V-series w/a dedicated tailcap that serves as primary on/off. The UI and on/off is controlled entirely by the ring and goes from Off -> L -> M -> H/T. As expalined in the measured performance section, Turbo can only be invoked by using a 4.2v LiIon and will replace H. The battery type also affects each output level (except low). Check OP for details.

@selfbuilt - Thx! I'm merely continuing the standard you've set. =o) I've some minor gripes about the ring (could stand to be a little firmer) and clip (rubs against body when unscrewing head) but other than that love everything else about this little guy so far. =o)

Cheers,
    Tim
    got it, thanks!

The Ring is only oiled, not greased like on the V series. I removed the oil and put in some heavy grease, now the ring runs a bit firmer. If you tighten down the head without the ring locking up, you get no play and smooth operation.

There has also been a little spacer between the head and lower bezel, i removed this one as well.

I just picked the the M11R up today, and it's now taken place of my Xtar WK21 for EDC. It's a great light! I'm not 100% sure of my Ultrafire protected 16340's are going into Turbo mode though

Thank you for the great review, turboBB. Looks like a fantastic light. My only question is: who is Mister Elfin? I wonder if he knows he's famous now.

I wish SWM put clips this good on all their lights. Clearly SWM is doing pretty much everything right.

All, Indoor 5m shots added. Given broad voltage ranged, I've covered most battery types that it can accomodate.

@Pöbel - correct, there isn't the thick grease like on the V series and thx for the tip on the grease, I'll give it a shot in the future.

@KuanR - Congrats on the pick up! I just got a WK21 but haven't had time to do a comparo yet.

@Racer - Thx! Not sure of the origin of Mr. Elfin but I aim to find out! )

Can you please explain how you get into the 2 "hidden" strobe modes? I've been puzzling over how it's done on a ring interface for quite some time now.

From Turbo/High, twist ring to Med and then immediately back to Turbo/High. It'll first enter Strobe, repeat within 1 second to enter SOS.

So:

Turbo/High -> Med -> Turbo/High = Strobe (which now replaces the Turbo/High mode)

within 1 second of engaging Strobe

Strobe (Turbo/High) -> Med -> Turbo/High = SOS

repeat again to enter back into Strobe

Neither hidden mode is memorized.

Hope that helps,
    Tim

Yes it does, this interface sounds very practical for my needs. However, these new Sunwayman light look like they belong in a display case rather than beat up like a EDC light to me. I'd probably treat it like Nigel's guitar (skip ahead to 1 min):

Hey sorry all, this one has to go on the back burner for a while...

In meanwhile, Sgt. LED, here you go:

Strangely though, the old V10A refuses to screw onto the M11R or V11R (but will thread most way on the V10R Ti+)::

Whereas the bezels between the V11R, M11R & V10R Ti are all interchangeable amongst each other and will screw on to the V10A without any issues.

I have quite a bit in the queue so will not be getting back to this for a bit, in meanwhile, any questions/requests, just ask.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Last edited by turboBB; 04-16-2012 at 05:14 PM.

I have been carrying this light everyday for the past week, but because I don't use the holster and hang it on my belt, the light has managed to catch on to things and the clip gets bent. I took it off a few times already to bend it back, but in the process the 2 hex screws holding the clip is starting to strip (the head, not the threads). Does anyone know where I can get the 2 tiny replacement screws?

I'm reasonably certain your local hardware store should stock these metric screws but I don't know the TPI or size but at local Home Depot here, they have sizing nuts where you can thread the hex bolt through to figure out the TPI/diameter then it's just a matter of finding the right length.

Since you mentioned the head is getting stripped, you might not have the correct size metric hex key (should be 2.0), so if you don't already have it, you may wish to pick one up as well.

Of course you can try contacting the dealer you purchased from or posting a help request on Sunwayman's MFG thread over on CPFMP.

Cheers,
    Tim

Great review! Very much appreciated, im liking Mr. Elfin.

Enlightened

pobel, I just recieved my Mr. Elfin and am wondering how you able to remove the lubricant under the ring and induce grease to tighten the operation. I can't figure out how to remove the ring.

Flashaholic

Just read this nice review. I'm thinking about getting one. Does anyone have any new (since the last post of 6/26/12) info or experiences with this light. Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast