massive throw on a budget, is it possible?

landinglight

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, this is my first post here and trust me I have looked at many threads that deal with budget throwers and it is a little overwhelming. So, I figured I would try to tailor it down some to exactly what I am looking for. I have a Lumapower signature VX sst-50 with the turboforce SMO reflector. I am looking to buy/build a light that will easily out throw this light and I want to keep it in the $25-$30 range. Obviously I'm not looking for top quality and I don't care about modes, though a high and low would be nice. As far as batteries I would like to stick with 18650, cr123, or aa. I won't be using it very often and definately not for long periods of time. It is my understanding that an XR-E R2 emitter would the way to go. As mentioned before I would definately be interested in building a light to and the mechanics of it would be no problem for me. However, I would need specific instructions/parts recommendations as this is fairly new to me. I look forward to hearing your recommendations. Thanks

awenta

Enlightened
That's tough. How about a skyray or similar host with aspheric lens and EZ900 emitter? Or an xxxxfire aspherical.

landinglight

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look into those and I'm sure I'll have some more questions. Like I said, I'm new so I'm not familiar with all the brands and the "dialect" of many on this forum. I'm sure I'll learn quickly though. If any more lights come to mind, let me know. Thanks

landinglight

Newly Enlightened
Ok, after looking at some of the recommendations here I have decided that I might be better off just spending some more money and getting a little better quality. I am now looking to spend somewhere in the $70 range. I have done a lot of reading and being fairly new to this it is quite overwhelming. My front runner right now is the Solarforce MPP 1 with an LT2 body and an 18650 extender. Do you have any other recommendations in this price range that would be a good dedicated thrower? Thanks

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked up a Quark X Turbo 123^2, 0.3 to 450 lumens, on sale for just over $50.

austin870

Newly Enlightened
I am having the same challenges with where to find the best value point. Every time I think I find it... $20 or $30 gets me so much more. Then I think about the resale value if I decide to upgrade which the lower cost ones don't have.

landinglight

Newly Enlightened
sounds like a good deal. Where did you get that from? However, I am looking for more of a dedicated thrower. Thanks

awenta

Enlightened
Deerelight DBS aspherical is near that range. Or for 150 the is the DEFT EDC+. They come up for sale in the marketplace occasionally.

landinglight

Newly Enlightened
I have been looking at the dereelight dbs with aspheric but it is just a little bit more than I want spend, however I am considering it. I certainly can't go $150 right now. I am kind of leaning toward something that is all reflector and doesn't use an aspherical lens, though I am obviously not oppossed to it since I am considering the dereelight. Does anyone know how the fandyfire stl-v6 compares to the solarforce mpp 1?

landinglight

Newly Enlightened
Look in the budget lights section. Can probably find a lot of these lights reviewed there.
I have been digging through the budget lights section and have found a lot of good info, but I was hoping someone would have a better "side by side" comparison of the two lights I mentioned earlier. Maybe I should start a new thread in a different section now that my criteria has changed. Thanks

If youre fine with "C" Cells, the Rayovac 4-Watt Outdoorsman uses it a TIR optic, and throws like MAD!
I'm not familiar with the Outdoorsman. I could only find a headlamp called the outdoorsman. I do however have the Rayovac Sportsman 3C.

srg818

Newly Enlightened
Xeno G42 with the XPG emitter is a decent thrower. Around $75 or so.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone, this is my first post here and trust me I have looked at many threads that deal with budget throwers and it is a little overwhelming. So, I figured I would try to tailor it down some to exactly what I am looking for. I have a Lumapower signature VX sst-50 with the turboforce SMO reflector. I am looking to buy/build a light that will easily out throw this light and I want to keep it in the $25-$30 range. Obviously I'm not looking for top quality and I don't care about modes, though a high and low would be nice. As far as batteries I would like to stick with 18650, cr123, or aa. I won't be using it very often and definately not for long periods of time. It is my understanding that an XR-E R2 emitter would the way to go. As mentioned before I would definately be interested in building a light to and the mechanics of it would be no problem for me. However, I would need specific instructions/parts recommendations as this is fairly new to me. I look forward to hearing your recommendations. Thanks

Sounds like you need a Crelant 7G5. :) Cheapest (but quality) thrower in its class. :)

Danielight

Enlightened
How about a Romisen RC-T601 II XM-L U2 2-Mode (750+ Lumens). Available for $28.95 at ShiningBeam.

Last edited by a moderator:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Go to the CPFM, and grab one being sold....vinhnguyen54 does amazing custom throwers for a few bucks, great deals for example. I grabbed a few modded lights from him that rivaled the SR90 for throw range...with 1-2 18650s, but driven to 4-5 amps, re-centered dies, new drivers, switches, etc.

:D

We're talking about $30 - 60 for some of these puppies, you can't beat them.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about putting an aspherical lens on a D cell led maglite that'd run you about $30 for the maglite and $6-$10 for the lens. ;)

Stanley HID will out throw everything you own and there $70 at an American Walmart ;)

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to the CPFM, and grab one being sold....vinhnguyen54 does amazing custom throwers for a few bucks, great deals for example. I grabbed a few modded lights from him that rivaled the SR90 for throw range...with 1-2 18650s, but driven to 4-5 amps, re-centered dies, new drivers, switches, etc.

:D

We're talking about $30 - 60 for some of these puppies, you can't beat them.

You could also PM VinhNyugen and ask him to make you a $40 thrower, that's where I got my thrower from.

srazeq

Newly Enlightened
you can get one from DX I recommend Aurora WF600 it has an amazing throw like a laser

sku 8537