Can I fly with my Tigerlight FBOP?

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I'd like to take my Tigerlight to Florida to show my Mom; I know she'd get a kick out of it, but I'm concerned about possible legal restrictions.

I believe Randy said the FAA classified the Tigerlight as a weapon, but I wasn't sure if that applied only to the OC version.

In the past (post 911) when I've flown with nonrechargeable lights including some imposing looking Surefires, it was easy to open the lights for inspection, but the Tigerlight presents some difficulties in this regard. Taming that rebellious .035 bezel o-ring during reassembly could be very awkward. I have .034's on order and hopefully will receive them before the flight.

If anyone knows the current legal status of the FBOP Tigerlight on commercial flights I'd love to hear from you.

Randy, any comments?

Thanks,
Brightnorm

Gadgetman7

Enlightened
I don't know the rules that specifically mention Tigerlight but the TSA does ban "impact" weapons. Now what does that mean? In my experience it depends on the screener. I have flown with a 3D Maglight and been stopped with a 2 C model. I'd put it in my checked baggage and ask the screeners to check your bag while you're there. Also, contrary to what the news says either use a cheap lock on your baggage or use a plastic tie. The TSA folks may cut it but at least you'll know that they have been in your luggage. You could also FedEx to your mom's house and back home but that would be a little expensive......

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just put it in your checked luggage. I just flew back from Houston with mine (I checked it) and had no problems.
smile.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Gadgetman7:
I don't know the rules that specifically mention Tigerlight but the TSA does ban "impact" weapons......I'd put it in my checked baggage and ask the screeners to check your bag while you're there...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">
Originally posted by jtivat:
Just put it in your checked luggage. I just flew back from Houston with mine (I checked it) and had no problems.
smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Thanks Gadgetman and JT,

Trouble is I just have a carry on and can't check it because of a severe time crunch.

I'd sure hate to have the Tlight confiscated. I'm probably better off not taking it.

D*mn!

Brightnorm

TigerLight Pro

Newly Enlightened
I always check mine with my bag. If you want to check it onto the plain, you may try disassembling it and bagging the components in a zip lock. Other wise it will probably go through the same proces of check in as the standard laptop.

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
Brightnorm - The list of approved items is somewhat contradictive of itself. They will allow a cane, but not a kubaton (a very small and piece of blunt aluminum). You can bring an umbrella and corkscrew, but not a golf club.....???

Check this out:
http://www.tsa.dot.gov/interweb/assetlibrary/tsa_ppitems.pdf

If you're crunched for time so much that you can't check a bag, then you probably won't have time to mail the item if they don't allow it.

Their policies are still really fuzzy on this stuff. If you've traveled out of this airport before, you may have a "feel" for what they'll do.

Just stay home........

Chris

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by flashlightlens.com:
Just stay home........
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's more appealing than you know. Having survived an "incident" in a small plane years ago I usually look for excuses not to fly.

Brightnorm

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't have time to check a bag, you also don't have time to go through a lengthy search and interview process. Just leave it at home.

I have no experience one way or the other, but I could guess that a flashlight in pieces might be harder to explain than one whole one. After all you have a lot of random metal pieces and tubes (pipes?) and such in the bag that are not immediately identifiable to the person checking it as a flashlight. You'd almost certainly have to explain that, and once an explanation is necessary you're loosing time, possible a lot of it.

TrevorNasko

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atlanta, GA>> The Flashlight that was broken shall
take it with you- take it apart and you will be fine .Here is a few things that they allow that they shouldnt:

Batonlight- Kubuton led
stylus led
SF z3 with 6 a14 on the side
etc

I once found a checker ASLEEP in the washington airport within sight of the pentagon!!!!!!!!!!!!