• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Thinking of getting my first McGizmo *FINALLY BOUGHT A HAIKU!!*

jake royston

Enlightened
6/1/12 Update:

I received my very first McGizmo yesterday! An XP-G Haiku!

This light is all its hyped up to be!
I love the way it looks, and I love the way crenelated bezel looks! The clip is nice and strong, so I don't have to worry about it falling out of my pocket.
The only thing I couldn't stand about this light was the blueish cool white tint. I've already modded it to a perfect white xpg S2 for now, which is only temporary until I can get my hands on a few 80CRI XPGs!

IMAG1930.jpg

IMAG1923.jpg

IMAG1922.jpg

IMAG1921.jpg

IMAG1920.jpg

IMAG1925.jpg

IMAG1928.jpg
IMAG1929.jpg

Im looking at getting my first McGizmo, for EDC. im not to familiar with all models, but i like the looks of the haiku.
Any suggestions?

Id like the high CRI,
Needs to be 123 or 14500 compatable.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Congrats! The Haiku is most likely your best choice for EDC, but just in case, what are your likely needs and uses?

nbp

Flashaholic
If your uses are generally within very close range, you might look at the Mule as well, but most likely the Haiku will suit you well. Next you would have to choose an emitter. What beam pattern are you looking for? Max throw? Punchy flood? Big hotspot/plenty of spill? HI CRI? Those would correspond with XR-E, XP-G, XM-L, and Nichia 119 respectively.

jake royston

Enlightened
My favorite beam is the xpg with a medium sized reflector, but im curious to see what the beam pattern of the Nichia led looks like.
Id prefer the high CRI option.
Ive had my eye on the sundrop as well.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Re: Thinking of getting my first McGizmo

My favorite beam is the xpg with a medium sized reflector, but im curious to see what the beam pattern of the Nichia led looks like.
Id prefer the high CRI option.
Ive had my eye on the sundrop as well.
My opinion may not be of any help to you, but hopefully a little more food for thought.

I didn't like my Sundrop 3S at all, and got rid of my XR-E Haiku just as quickly, which made it all the more startling when I picked up a Nichia 119 Haiku with the intent of passing it on and shortly found myself absolutely in love with the sibling that delivered the goods when it came to my particular tastes. I still wish it had a lower low, but cannot even think of parting with the Nichia 119 Haiku!

nbp

Flashaholic
Run4jc has a great beamshots thread with a mess of Haiku variants in it around here that should help you. You should be able to find it easily though as I can't link it easily on ForumRunner right now. Sound like the XP-G or 119 will be the two for you to examine most closely.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast

Though I love the high CRI Nichia 119 for my outdoor uses, I still prefer the XM-L version for my day to day EDC. The more floody beam profile from the XM-L is real useful as a general use light, especially like what you've said, looking for keys and phone in the house. The high CRI has a more throwy beam profile and is great for the outdoors. May I suggest you buy both? :sick2:

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nichia in a reflector is exceptional.

Mule has zero throw...great for tents, close inspection, a ground search for dropped lighter, and ideal for playing cards...reading a map...and with the Nichia...for inspecting cooking meat, wounds, and biological material.

A bbq light...the XPG's and XML's are NOT.

obi

Last edited:

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

I went with the High CRI Haiku w/ 119, but I put a high premium on light quality and am willing to sacrifice quantity. And it is a huge sacrifice. If you look at lumens, it's like 80 lumens vs. 200 for 119 vs. XM-L. And the 119 has a tight beam with a definite and fairly tight hotspot (which I like, personally) whereas the XM-L has a LOT of spill. Check out the beamshots and see for yourself, but just know that you do give up a lot of output to enjoy the light quality of the 119. And note that Don's 119's are the highest bin CCT, so are noticeably more white than any other 119 currently available--or at least this is what I've read in a few threads. In any case, I love my high CRI Haiku, FWIW.

nbp

Flashaholic
If you haven't already, check out js' sticky at the top about the Haiku. It's very good. There are some other Haiku threads linked in there as well that will serve to increase your hunger for Don's Super EDC light. :devil:

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast

Haiku has ruined me for flashlights right now. I was lucky enough to receive a smooth operating warm (neutral) Haiku and it has not left my pocket since I received it. Furthermore nothing other than a Malkoff M61W/MD2 has stuck with me and nothing currently available interests me from a pure user/EDC standpoint. The Haiku, in whatever LED flavor you choose is the best EDC light I have come across in my time as a flashaholic.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would personally recommend the McLuxIII PD. The best beam pattern, smoothest spot to spill with no artifacts. I have the PDs in aluminium and also the Haiku XPG and I love them both. They are not throwers and they do not have large spill however due to the quality and smoothness of the beam pattern, it is a joy to use. I started edcing the PDs since 2007 and then the Haiku took over till now. As for tint I still prefer the SSC led in the PDS, but Haiku's clicky and 3 speed proved to be more useful finally. On the last note, if your requirements are for close quarters works, then the Mule PD is my preferred light, small bright and excellent wide beam..

All the best in choosing your 1st McGizmo

jake royston

Enlightened
Thanks, im getting a haiku sometime in the future, im not sure what finish to get. i really like the Beadblasted finish, but i like the fact that when it gets scratched up with the standard version i can easily polish it out. does anyone have pictures of a user haiku with the beadblasted finish?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

For your purposes the plain finish would be less frustrating, as bead blasted finishes are pretty fragile, unlike their most 'durable' cousin, the stonewashed finish, which treats new abrasions as a part of the finish itself.

Wish there were more options for finishes, with AlTiN, TiCN and TiN at the top of the list for coated options. My TiCN Draco and AlTiN Haiku still look completely un-fazed by anything and are some of the most attractive finishes around.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't really care personally for the bead blast finis as it comes from Don. Too art deco for me. I would however love to have my complete Haiku fully blasted. I think the patina and wear it would incur from EDC would look great.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

If you haven't already, check out js' sticky at the top about the Haiku. It's very good. There are some other Haiku threads linked in there as well that will serve to increase your hunger for Don's Super EDC light. :devil:

You'd be better to start with nbp's Haiku review! My thread is just a more general consideration of PD vs. 3S lights. nbp's is an actual review of the Haiku. But in any case, at the end of my thread (link in my sigline) there is a list of some good threads on the Haiku.

managermr

Newly Enlightened

Whichever McGizmo you buy, you will not go wrong.

They are all exceptional.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast

In my opinion, the bead blasted version I have do have better grip than the standard Ti, which I find a bit slippery with sweaty hands like mine do....

Latest posts