Flashlight with some serious lumen and strobe

wlai

Newly Enlightened
I would like to find a flashlight that in a pinch could be used to blind and disorient a potential bad guy while I get away. Any rec for a serious thrower with strobe, that may even double as a blunt force instrument as a last resort? Size isn't a big issue.

I know, flashlights arent a self defense tool, just want to see what can be done with current tech. Thanks.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
A foursevens S18 would blind the crap out of an assailant, and, you could easily use its mass combined with acceleration to dislodge their upper skeletal mass, etc.

If swinging it like a war club was not what you had in mind, the Klarus XT11 has one of the best combos of lumen output and UI for this purpose.

:D

ledmitter

Enlightened
In an urban setting with street lights, the XT11 has a nice strobe but it's more of an annoying "wtf are you flashing me for" kind of power.

To physically force someone to yield you'll need a wall of light something in the 2,000+ lumen range.

The JetBeam RRT-3 comes to mind. 1,950 lumens. Decent sized. Looks good.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
In an urban setting with street lights, the XT11 has a nice strobe but it's more of an annoying "wtf are you flashing me for" kind of power.

To physically force someone to yield you'll need a wall of light something in the 2,000+ lumen range.

The JetBeam RRT-3 comes to mind. 1,950 lumens. Decent sized. Looks good.

eh...the RRT-3 would also work as a baton too, so its sure an option akin to the S18...but 600 lumens is a lot to strobe with (enough)

I like the RRT-3 in that scenario though...1950 is even better than 600 L.

The advantage of the Klarus over that S18 and RRT 3 is the one button hit to get the strobe on....vs the twist of the control rings on the other two...The XT11's UI is more suited to hitting the strobe...but really, an XT11 might be ok in your fist like a roll of quarters type weapon, or to "poke a DNA sample", but - baton-wise, I wouldn't bother. SO the XT11 hits the strobe better, and the RRT and S18 hit the perp better.

For the record - if considering a strobe -

ALL strobes are "WTF....", that's essentially ALL they do, no matter how many lumens...even 200 lumens can work on a night adjusted perp, etc....stobes are not tasers...ALL they do is make the perp hesitate, which gives you the chance to capitalize. Its just a flashing light...the lights going on/off rapidly confuse a person who is not EXPECTING it...and makes them hesitate. Some are more disorienting than others...the more regular the flashes for example, the faster a person adjusts to it, etc.

After a second or two (More for drunks, etc...) they get their bearings back, and can then start thinking about what to DO again. That means you have about a second to take control of the situation in whatever fashion makes sense in the context. People who are temporarily unsure of their options/what they are up against, are more likely to be overwhelmed by the swarming thoughts (The WTF part), and will be more likely to surrender rather than risk tangling with an unknown threat level. If you have a strobe, who knows what else you might have, etc....it LOOKS professional...maybe you are more dangerous than originally thought?

While they are considering that - you are ordering them to the ground, and, generally, they comply...as YOU seem confident that they should, and they don't really know yet...so they comply.

If you sit there doing a light show for one more second...they start to consider options..and you've lost the opportunity to direct them, they now have their OWN ideas, a different scenario (Hey, um, OK, there's a guy standing there with a light flashing at me...but that's it?...maybe I can rush him?" - etc)

THAT'S all a strobe is for...buying you time to take control...it doesn't incapacitate an attacker, etc...it just makes them say "WTF...." etc....buying you time.

If being attacked by an epileptic, people prone to cascade type migraines, etc...sure, the strobe might lay him out with a seizure, cause nausea/vomitting, etc...that does happen from time to time...but lets call that the exception.

Last edited:

ledmitter

Enlightened
^^^ Good rationalization. I like.

TEEJ, if you saw some average jeans wearing button up shirt civilian, say they where standing in line somewhere holding the Klarus XT11 and a phone (like they appear to be texting someone). Without asking them directly, would you have thought they where LEO in some capacity (like off duty or undercover)?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Possibly, anytime someone is holding what appears to be a "non-off the shelf" item like that...it occurs to wonder if they themselves are "not off the shelf".

Some of it is also based upon the way they are carrying themselves, apparent situational awareness/back to the wall/facing the wall, body language, are they wearing footwear that looks "Tactical", haircut style?, etc.

Me and a buddy were relaxing at a big outdoor concert last year...and it was impossible to relax after we spotted blood/crips, esp my buddy who's strung tighter than I am...he could not STOP himself from constant scanning/positioning...even in shorts tee shirts and sneakers...the body language SCREAMED "I might be on duty".

He says he was cool and collected, and no one would notice...and that I was over analyzing him....but I'm in forensics, I can't HELP it. :D

Last edited:

ledmitter

Enlightened
Yeah TEEJ. Hope I don't look like i'm impersonating a police officer running around the subways with these things. :D

TEEJ

Flashaholic
LOL

Somehow I can't see hitting someone with my TK70...I think the tube metal is too thin to not break my light...but, yeah, that's one powerful MoFo for strobing.

:devil:

I think if you don't SAY your LEO, or wear a misleading badge/uniform, etc...they won't bust you for impersonation. On a good day at least.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
TEEJ pretty much summed it up.
I have used strobe to advance on Intoxicated persons and place them in custody. It gives you between 3-5 seconds with a VERY VERY drunk person. In normal situations I don't think strobe provides a large tactical advantage, but any advantage is better than no advantage.

The XT-11 from Klarus is about as good as it gets when it comes to the interface. The guy who designed the switch better have gotten a pay raise and promotion.

spc smith

Enlightened
Something that grabs your attention ie a bright take down light, flares, road blocks, reflectors, tapes, barriers. A strobe is in that same catagory. Its strictly to locate or be located. Whether to make your presence be known in an emergency or as an LEO, MP. Madecov and TEEJ are right on the money. The Klarus XT11 has the BEST Patented tactical User Interface of any TACTICAL LED LIGHT out on the market today. Even better than Olight's M series UI with the side switch. Your just not going to find a better User Interface accessing strobe on any other light. Klarus has the PATENT on the dual switch tail cap. And my DANG shipment has not come yet!

ledmitter

Enlightened
Something that grabs your attention ie a bright take down light, flares, road blocks, reflectors, tapes, barriers. A strobe is in that same catagory. Its strictly to locate or be located. Whether to make your presence be known in an emergency or as an LEO, MP. Madecov and TEEJ are right on the money. The Klarus XT11 has the BEST Patented tactical User Interface of any TACTICAL LED LIGHT out on the market today. Even better than Olight's M series UI with the side switch. Your just not going to find a better User Interface accessing strobe on any other light. Klarus has the PATENT on the dual switch tail cap. And my DANG shipment has not come yet!

Actually there is no patent for what you described above. Any one of these manufacturers can create a similar version.

And I'm sure they will. And that's a GOOD thing.

yifu

Enlightened
For strobing you don't need lumens, you need lux. A Olight SR90 dedomed maybe? If you can't disorient someone with strobe, then it just means your light isn't bright enough. A XT11 is less then 10 000 lux so a SR90 dedomed at 20 times the lux would be much better. And it is big and heavy as well so it doubles up as a club!

torva_lupus

Newly Enlightened
but the Olight SR90 is huge...of course it is not mentioned on the specific threat the required length of the flashlight so I would like to convert, if allowed, the title as follows:

'Flashlight with some serious Lux, strobe and not longer than 150mm'

any suggestions folks?

spc smith

Enlightened
torva lupus,

The idea behind that bright light or strobe is to take away an attacker's night adapted vision. Again, there are many admirable lights for this. XPG's are good for lux and still flood. What you need to do is take a flashlight, turn it on and see what effect it is on your eyes straight on and at a glance. I can tell you, that if you were to have an aspheric lense you would do the most damage all at once with that much focused light. But on the converse if you were not to directly aim that focused light right in the attackers eyes as they came up, it would do you no good because of the narrowed beam. Yes, you would have lux eye searing power. No you would not have enough peripheral light even at the side to disorient the attackers vision or maybe not at all take one smidgen of his night adapted vision away, if he were not directly inline of that beam. With the XPG, you are getting more lux (focused hotspot) with still adequate spill. But, the XML you are getting increased energy of light in spill and and the hotspot. Think of it like this, would you rather have a shotgun (XML) or pistol (XPG) in a close quarter shootout. Even at a glance the shotgun will spread making you hit the target at slight distance, much like the XML larger LED emmiter with less focused light energy at the spot but more overall light throughout the beam to intensify the effects.

awenta

Enlightened
A foursevens S18 would blind the crap out of an assailant, and, you could easily use its mass combined with acceleration to dislodge their upper skeletal mass, etc.

If swinging it like a war club was not what you had in mind, the Klarus XT11 has one of the best combos of lumen output and UI for this purpose.

How about an XM18 :eek:

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
In darkness, looking into an emitter producing anything beyond 200 lumens is going to instantaneously destroy one's low light vision.

Still, I EDC a TN11. It's the brightest 2xCR123A medium-sized production tactical light currently available, at 750 ANSI lumens, and it's capable of projecting a massive hot spot well past 250 meters and is bright enough to blind people even when their eyes are closed.

As someone said; "That thing's like... The Sun."

The length is slightly longer than what you specified, coming in at 153mm. If you can live with that extra 3mm, you will end up with the most powerful light in its category. It also happens to throw better than other medium tactical lights with XR-E, XP-E and XP-G, at nearly 20,000 lux. The closest competitor is the EagleTac G25C2, which does around 15,100 lux and has output of 640 ANSI lumens.