How green are you with your "used" AA cells?

wquiles

Flashaholic
No, not a challenge, nor a political statement. Just asking how green are you, specifically, with non-rechargeable batteries?

Thanks to the forum I got interested in the Joule Thief circuits, enough that I built my own small boards to play with. I started "saving" all of the non-rechargeable cells (mostly AA's) from my kids toys, and after a couple of months I had 49 AA cells. Since this circuit can turn a 3W LED with as little as 0.8 volts or so, I wanted to see what was possible - not to have a super bright LED light, but something useful enough for night navigation, taking the kids to bed at night - just an useful LOW level.

So I decided to make a couple of small flashlights to take advantage of whatever energy was left in those cells. I made a custom XM-L P60 drop-in, and using a Solar Force L2M, I made a custom AA to 18650 adapter. I also had some really old (green tinted!) 3W LED's, so I took one of my custom 1xD's and made a custom 3x LED version with 3x of my own little Joule thief boards (one per each LED) and a difuser film (not using reflectors), so now I have a host that can take 1x D Alkaline cell, all the way to 3x "depleted" AA cells.

To start I segregated the "used" AA cells with my trusty ZTS battery tester:
DSCF7853.JPG

and I got them into these plastic bins (don't even work is exactly what it means - the voltage is so low that the tester does not even "try" to figure out what is left):
DSCF7848.JPG

DSCF7849.JPG

DSCF7850.JPG

DSCF7851.JPG

DSCF7852.JPG

So that you don't have to count them:
- 60-80% energy left: 12 cells
- 20-40% energy left: 18 cells
- 10% energy left: 4 cells
- less than 10% energy left: 12 cells
- does not work!: 3 cells

As a point of reference, I figured it would be "fair" to use an off-the-shelf LED light designed to run on a single AA cell, so I am using the Icon Rouge:
DSCF7854.JPG

The Rouge worked (you can get non-flicker output) down to cells with 20%, but it would constantly flicker with 10%, and less than 10% - totally useless. Still, that is a good circuit in the Rouge, since it can use the cells to fairly low levels. Not bad!

Next was my Solar Force wt XM-L LED - I can get steady output with cells at less than 10%. Granted, it is a VERY low output, but more than perfect for night adjusted vision. Awesome!
DSCF7855.JPG

DSCF7860.JPG

DSCF7861.JPG

DSCF7859.JPG

For my 1xD (a Frankenstein of left over LED's/parts!), I can get output with 3x cells at the less than 10% level, but it starts flickering a little - in fact in this photo one of the 3x circuits is having a tough time with a particular LED (top left), while the bottom LED is slightly dimmed, and the top right is OK:
DSCF7856.JPG

DSCF7857.JPG

DSCF7858.JPG

As soon as you put 10% (or higher) cells in the 3xAA battery adapter, it then gives you a low output. Given it is 3x LED's, each with its own driver, and each getting power from 3x cells, the output of this 1xD is significantly higher than with the single XM-L light. Too bright for night adjusted vision, but perfect to taking the kids to sleep :D

These circuit boards work great with "used" CR123 cells as well (higher output of course!), so if I remove the extension on the Solar Force and use a "depleted" CR123 cell, I can also use those cells for a good while longer. I have found that the Malkoff LL (LOW LOW) dropin "also" seems to work great with depleted CR123 cells. The other light that works great is McGizmo two-level PD Mule (sporting a Clicky tail for a great combination of PD "and" Clicky action!).

So, what is how "I" try to get more life out of my AA cells. What do you guys do?

Will

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I try to not use them, so they never have to be disposed.

:D

wquiles

Flashaholic

I hear you loud and clear - I also primarily use rechargeable AA's, but a lot of the toys and remote controls come with regular cells, and a few toys don't work as well with rechargeable cells, and that is how I end up with so many of them :D

Last edited:

dusty99

Newly Enlightened
Very cool! I'm lucky that it's pretty easy for me to be "green" with both primaries and rechargeables. I've built up enough rechargeables over the years that even the old 1500s do service in remotes and my kids low-drain toys, so there is little need for me to purchase primary cells. And I work in a place that pays for hazmat chemistry disposal and they don't mind taking the really dead batteries with them on occasion.

Helmut.G

Enlightened

Agree 100%.

It's a nice hobby to suck every bit of energy out of those dead cells but there are better ways to be green.
One of the easiest things to do: don't buy useless stuff/crap that is likely to fail immediately/things you don't need at all.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
A cheap way to suck batteries dry is to use 2-3 dead batteries with a 1 battery boost led circuit.

Darvis

Enlightened
Wow, this is really nicely done!!!

I've continued to tweak the JT circuit as well and have adapted it to be a combo solar charger/JT (much like a garden light) now it will burn, charge, and deplete anything I can throw at it!! I've been meaning to update the thread, but have just not yet found the time...

Thses are extra sweet adaptations, though!!!! I can't get over how great the P60's look.. I assume these are adaptations of the circuits you posted in the JT thread?

BTW, the addiction has grown for me... I just bought my first Amtel chips, a bit blaster and target board... blinking LEDs, look out!!!

wquiles

Flashaholic
A cheap way to suck batteries dry is to use 2-3 dead batteries with a 1 battery boost led circuit.

That is "exactly" that I am using - it is a simple boost circuit designed to work as low as 0.8 volts. I can use 1, 2, or 3 used cells :D

Wow, this is really nicely done!!!

I've continued to tweak the JT circuit as well and have adapted it to be a combo solar charger/JT (much like a garden light) now it will burn, charge, and deplete anything I can throw at it!! I've been meaning to update the thread, but have just not yet found the time...

Thses are extra sweet adaptations, though!!!! I can't get over how great the P60's look.. I assume these are adaptations of the circuits you posted in the JT thread?

BTW, the addiction has grown for me... I just bought my first Amtel chips, a bit blaster and target board... blinking LEDs, look out!!!
Yes, same circuit I posted in the JT thread.

Which Atmel are you planning to use? I used the Tiny85 for my PhD-M6 custom pack, and I am now using the Tiny84 for my MagnetoDrive.

sassaquin

Enlightened
Nowadays, I only have one device that requires two AA alkalines and use Eneloops in everything else, so I think I'm pretty "green". But years ago when my son was young, I was landfilling tons of AAs and would have loved a setup like yours. Between his remote control cars and my camera, I was buying a 24 pack of AA at the wholesale club every six weeks. I applaud you for being so creative in trying to recycle your used AAs. Great job! :thumbsup:

Those joule thief hurricane lamps are so cool, I'm always on the lookout for one on the Marketplace.

Wrend

Enlightened
Get a grid-tie inverter, hook the cells up to it, and save maybe something like $0.00005 per cell on your electric bill (not including the cost of the inverter and any other equipment you'll need). :thumbsup:

Joking aside, I don't waste my time with alkaline cells much any more thanks to Eneloops. The alkaline ones get saved for recycling when I can get around to it.

Nice to see people having fun with battery hobbies though.

Darvis

Enlightened
Which Atmel are you planning to use? I used the Tiny85 for my PhD-M6 custom pack, and I am now using the Tiny84 for my MagnetoDrive.

Going to go with the ATtiny2313 since EMS sells the nice target board base kit for it. I figure it'll be a good way to learn the ropes before investing in anything too crazy. I've got to build the target board and add the power source, so a nice little kit project to get me going...

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I throw mine at the neighbours cat, which likes my green "grassy loo".

wquiles

Flashaholic
Going to go with the ATtiny2313 since EMS sells the nice target board base kit for it. I figure it'll be a good way to learn the ropes before investing in anything too crazy. I've got to build the target board and add the power source, so a nice little kit project to get me going...

You will likely also need the USB programmer, which works in conjuction with the AVR Studio Software:
http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=80K1131&CMP=AFC-GB100000001

And by the way, do NOT use the latest/greatest AVR software (V5.*) - stick with the older one, V4.18 which works well and it is stable ;)

Will

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am probably greener than most people when it comes to draining alkaline batteries. I hate to throw them away when I can release some lumens for a day, or two (even if it is just lighting up my workbench when I am away). Here is my take on a Joule Thief, that drains my batteries before disposal. The pictures speak for themselves. :D

100_0472.jpg

100_0473.jpg

100_0474.jpg

I need to get one of thos ZTS battery testers! Then I could really know how much juice is left in the cells before I deplete them.

wquiles

Flashaholic
I am probably greener than most people when it comes to draining alkaline batteries. I hate to throw them away when I can release some lumens for a day, or two (even if it is just lighting up my workbench when I am away). Here is my take on a Joule Thief, that drains my batteries before disposal. The pictures speak for themselves. :D
Awesome - I like the magnet idea :D

Here are the little boost circuit boards I made, using the Zetec ZXLD383:
DSCF7084.JPG

I need to get one of thos ZTS battery testers! Then I could really know how much juice is left in the cells before I deplete them.
Don't get the one (older) model I got. The new one can also test 18650 LiIon cells as well. One of these days I am selling this one to get the newer model ;)

EDIT: To be more clear, this is the one I have (note the model number is MBT-1):
http://www.amazon.com/ZTS-Multi-Battery-Tester-MBT-1/dp/B000FQG1XE

but note the new one (note the model number is "still" MBT-1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!):
http://www.batteryjunction.com/zts-mbt-1.html

but as you can see the new "MBT-1" has additional battery/cell support - that is the one you want/need - the "new" one ;)

Will

Last edited:

Darvis

Enlightened
You will likely also need the USB programmer, which works in conjuction with the AVR Studio Software:
http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=80K1131&CMP=AFC-GB100000001

And by the way, do NOT use the latest/greatest AVR software (V5.*) - stick with the older one, V4.18 which works well and it is stable ;)

Will

Thanks Will!! I have the USB programmer, but did not know that about v5 (which I did download, doh!!!) I'll be sure to grab me v4.18. It will be hard enough to learn how to program, let alone deal with bugs and crashes!

And here's a picture of my solar-powered tupper-JT, it'll burn alkalines as well, just need to keep it out of the sun if you do...:

I don't know why, of late, I've been enamored with food storage containers.....

vy8dts.jpg

Bordering on over the top, the container houses a rechargeable AA battery that gets a constant trickle charge from the 4v (90mah) solar panel on top. There is a master on off switch on the left that enables one to power the joule thief circuit.

2i2057m.jpg

The switch on the right (A/B with center off) controls the feed to either the built in LED lamp on the top of the box, or a remote port on the side that can power another LED light or even charge something else. I used a standard 1/8 stereo jack for this purpose.

152hnhd.jpg

There was an interesting (and unintentional) side effect to using the clear container for the build, it turned the little JT light into not only a great ceiling bounce light, but just a great little camping lamp since the whole container glows and puts out some really usable light...

33tkoqd.jpg

Solar panel is glued on with Silicone, BTW..

smile.gif

Last edited:

wquiles

Flashaholic
No problem. Eventually V5.xx will be OK, but for now folks find V4.18 more stable. Plus Atmel got "too creative" on V5.xx and attempted to fix stuff that did not needed fixing to start with !!!

Will

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am actually not to green with my cells.
All of my lights use RCR123/17670/18650 or lithium primaries

At work i do use maybe 4-8 alkaline AA cells a week in my camera flashes.
If i have to change them out early then i take them home for use in Tv remotes, clocks etc
Otherwise they get put into the battery recycling bin (which the crew manage to fill around once every 6 weeks)