Malkoff
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compact torch with long runtimes with standard batteries?

Flashaholic

Default Compact torch with long runtimes with standard batteries?

Hi guys,

been a while since I've been on here but I need a compact LED torch that has long run times on a medium brightness, enough to light up a footpath, regulated and use easily obtainable standard batteries.

It's actually for my sister who will be going backpacking shortly so will need something small, lightweight and can use widely available batteries. It need not be super-bright or with a huge throw, but sufficient to light up the way fairly well in an unlit path. Obviously, if it had a mean throw that would be a bonus!

I'm looking to spend no more than about 30-40GBP (about 55-60USD) max really...

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Default Re: Compact torch with long runtimes with standard batteries?

Is a CR123 a standard battery to you?

Sunwayman M11r is small and has a good runtime on medium.

Quote Originally Posted by CTR View Post

need a compact LED torch that has long run times on a medium brightness, enough to light up a footpath, regulated and use easily obtainable standard batteries.

It's actually for my sister who will be going backpacking shortly so will need something small, lightweight and can use widely available batteries. It need not be super-bright or with a huge throw, but sufficient to light up the way fairly well in an unlit path. Obviously, if it had a mean throw that would be a bonus!

Cheers
    Easily obtainable standard battery ? I assumed AA size, with good regulated, not much throw & small size, how about Xeno E03v3 XM-L ? Compatible with batteries ranging from Alkaline, NiMh, Li-ion 14500 or LiFePo4, I tested with Eneloop on medium mode (first mode is medium, then low, then high) nearly 4hrs burn time, GITD tail button, also within your budget range as well, I edc one too (XM-L NW)
    Last edited by iron potato; 03-26-2012 at 01:01 PM.
    My list of flashlights, chargers & batteries

For performance plus runtime have you looked at the Fenix LD40?

Quote Originally Posted by iron potato View Post
    how about Xeno E03v3 XM-L ?
    +1

How about a ZebraLight H51? It runs on a AA cell, and can be used as a flashlight or a headlight.

I think a headlight would be useful for hiking. It's also efficient.

I'm looking at a H600w for both a general purpose flashlight and for a headlight when walking or mowing the grass at night (and fixing my tractor when it breaks a belt on the deck again.)

I'd go for a Quark R5 AA, they're in the low $40s now with the re-branding sales. Good selection of low modes to choose from (0.2, 4, 22 lumens) to provide enough light while conserving batts. While moonlight is probably not enough to walk outdoors by, I find it invaluable for camping/backpacking for relaxing back at the campsite.... it'll easily get over 300 hrs on 1xAA alkaline... it's having a AC plug with you. Also great for preserving night vision, not disturbing others or attraction unwanted attention.

can i suggest the fenix e05??
    it uses only 1 AAA battery and the runtime is almost 3 hours.

i don't own "expensive flashlights"

great suggestion, the quark mini AA. its a good choice, for the output and the runtime.

Flashaholic

Thanks all, but still not sure which one is best really.

Yep, I meant AA, AAA or even a CR123 when I said widely available batteries. Single cells would be preferable as it's lighter, but two cells if the torch is really worth it.

Not sure if there's such a torch available but if I had to put numbers to it, ideally, something like a 1xAA or 1xCR123 that gives a continuous >25 lumen (medium) for >10hrs. Is this asking too much from a light?

She'll be travelling light, so won't be carrying too many spare batteries. So the main thing I'm looking for is runtime on medium mode - which gives the option to run max for short periods.

The Quark mini AA R5 is worth a consideration and can be bought at LED Fire torches. Don't forget the CPF discount code. It uses a single AA battery and you can use Lithium primaries AA for longer runtimes.

Fenix LD01 might be what your looking for, there was a package deal where you got an LD01 and an E01 for $40us
    The Ld01 has a high of 70-80 lumens, but the UI starts on medium and then goes low then high.

The E01 is 10 lumens with a really long runtime (it's anodized purple)

They both run on aaa
    I'm glad I found CPF, I was beginning to think I was strange
    I'm a Canadian and a proud Flashaholic
    Thanks CPF, thanks Think2x

This is exactly what I was asking for..I've seen fenix has this especially with those rechargeable batteries!

Flashaholic

I don't want to seem ungrateful for the suggestions, but as I have quite a few XPG torches already, the emittter seems to be a bit of a vetran in the LED world. I was quietly hoping that there's been some new improved emitters that's come out since the XPG that works well in a compact torch.

I don't have an XML torch, so the Xeno E03 v3 sounds interesting, but when I read up on the runtimes, it seems that it isn't very good on an Alkaline AA. It's either very long runtimes but output is too low, or good output but very short runtimes.

She won't be carrying any rechargeables so she can throw away batteries as she goes along rather than carry them home, so although the E03 v3 seems to run well with NiMh it's probably not very practical for her.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by CarpentryHero View Post
    Fenix LD01 might be what your looking for, there was a package deal where you got an LD01 and an E01 for $40us
    The Ld01 has a high of 70-80 lumens, but the UI starts on medium and then goes low then high.

The E01 is 10 lumens with a really long runtime (it's anodized purple)

They both run on aaa
    Yeah, it seems quite a few torches have very long runtimes at around 10 lumens, but I feel that 10 lumens is not quite enough to light up an unlit rural path, ideally, it needs to be 25+lumens - if that is possible? If not, how about a 2xAA or 2xCR123? Not hugely keen on AAA as their capacity tends to be poor.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. LED View Post
    Is a CR123 a standard battery to you?

Sunwayman M11r is small and has a good runtime on medium.
    I quite like the Sunwayman M11R as it claims to be able to run at 60 lumens for 10hrs (Med), but at £65 (104 USD) it is significantly more than I wanted to pay. Just out of interest, does anyone have this torch? Does it get very hot when used for long periods of time on medium mode?

Flashaholic

Smile Re: Compact torch with long runtimes with standard batteries?

+1 Quark mini AA
    +1 Led fire torches both mentioned by BLUE LED

also maybe one of the Eagletac d25 series may suit. There is a range of different versions including a rather nice looking ti version with a XM-L emitter. Run times might be the only problem. Lumen levels and price about right.

If you want XML there are a couple of places that have the 4Sevens Quark X on sale here in the US (not sure about shipping costs to the UK). I've just bought two. While runtimes on turbo are short, they are more respectable on med. (20 hrs. @ 24 lumens OTF). It should be a good hiking/camping light.

I quite like the Sunwayman M11R as it claims to be able to run at 60 lumens for 10hrs (Med), but at £65 (104 USD) it is significantly more than I wanted to pay. Just out of interest, does anyone have this torch? Does it get very hot when used for long periods of time on medium mode?
    It does not get hot on medium mode. XM-L is a difficult choice, as you will need a 16340 cell to achieve full output. XM-L on lower modes are less impressive. Hence the suggestions on XP-G.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by dusty99 View Post
    If you want XML there are a couple of places that have the 4Sevens Quark X on sale here in the US (not sure about shipping costs to the UK). I've just bought two. While runtimes on turbo are short, they are more respectable on med. (20 hrs. @ 24 lumens OTF). It should be a good hiking/camping light.
    Just had a quick look at the 4Sevens site, they do free worldwide shipping so that's not a problem. But at $70USD it's a bit outside my budget. I won't discount it yet, as it's runtime spec seems to suit my requirements well even though the torch is a 2 cell. The 65Lm for 11hrs on medium is better than what I've been looking for really, if only it was a bit cheaper. I would be willing to sacrifice a little output for a single cell but with similar runtimes... if theres such a thing?

I paid $75 for mine.
    I tend to ignore budgetary limits when suggesting lights.
    If a light is best, if it's worth it, if you really want it, if you really need it, I'm sure a person capable of navigating to this website is also capable of putting off the purchase a month or so and saving up to get the light.
    Been times in my life I have been outstandingly broke but loose change and spare dollars add up to what you want if you are patient.
    Buying cheaper things can be incredibly expensive, but it's your sister!

Xeno E03 does sound like a good choice. Has a low mode which is long lasting, AA batteries, medium or high modes if necessary. For backpacking, a warm tint would be a good option for use outside. You could also get it in a red body, so it will be easy for her to find if it gets dropped on the trail. Including the diffusion wand would make it a good campsite light, and still be well within your budget.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. LED View Post
    I paid $75 for mine.
    I tend to ignore budgetary limits when suggesting lights.
    If a light is best, if it's worth it, if you really want it, if you really need it, I'm sure a person capable of navigating to this website is also capable of putting off the purchase a month or so and saving up to get the light.
    Been times in my life I have been outstandingly broke but loose change and spare dollars add up to what you want if you are patient.
    Buying cheaper things can be incredibly expensive, but it's your sister!
    I definitely agree with your thinking there. But in this case its a little different. I can afford to buy an expensive light but I cannot justify it as my sister is clumsy - she'd probably end up losing it, dropping it etc (I've lost count of the times she's lost her mobile phone!). So I've set myself what I think is a reasonable budget for a light for her needs and I wouldn't be too annoyed if she lost it. She's not like other CPFers who will appreciate the knurling, waterproofness or how well-centred the LED is etc... so I'm not looking for a class leading light, just something that fits the requirements.

Essentially, all she will appreciate is the fact that the torch willl be small, long running, bright enough for navigating in dark rural areas and use batteries she can find easily in a local convenient store (although I have a small stash of CR123 I can give her).

I have a few very old compact XRE lights which are still OK, but I thought I'd get something from the current crop that would be more efficient and have better run times.

Ahhhhhhh I can dig it.

...But at $70USD it's a bit outside my budget....
    Take a look at post #7 again.... that includes the XML AA^2

Yes. Check Going Gear. I paid less that US $46/each.

Hi guys,

been a while since I've been on here but I need a compact LED torch that has long run times on a medium brightness, enough to light up a footpath, regulated and use easily obtainable standard batteries.

I'm looking to spend no more than about 30-40GBP (about 55-60USD) max really...

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Cheers
    Hi CTR (Civic Type R???), how about a Klarus P2A? http://www.klaruslight.com/products/Flash_light/80.html

I
    t was recommended by the country walking magazine recently, runs 2xAA batteries with two brightness settings.

LED Fire Torches (use Google) have it for £33.95, which I think is a steal. CPF does seem somewhat 4Sevens obsessed (not saying it's a bad thing, but they are premium money and I'm not always sure quite what extra you are getting).

The new Mini Maglite Pro+ would be another good light, but I doubt anywhere in the UK has them, so you'll have to import from the USA which will add time and cost. On this basis I'd go for the Klarus.

Flashaholic

I try to buy quality brands during special sales or clearance so I get the best of both worlds.. just gotta be patient. but I did pay full price for a Zebralight SC600W during the preorder period. I like the flexibility of the interface, but I can never hit the proper mode the first time.

Going Gear has good sales of Quarks right now. AA Tactical would be my recommendation. I got a Quark X AA^2 tactical for $45. Run it on some Sanyo Eneloops.

Flashaholic*

There is only one sensible choice in each size.

In AA , the ITP-A2.
    In AAA , the ITP-A3.
    In 123 , the ITP-A1.

There really is no better choice than ITP for the money ... I have two each of the A3's (EDC on keyrings) and A2's (clipped in jacket pockets) plus an A1 by the bedside.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Drumstick View Post
    Hi CTR (Civic Type R???), how about a Klarus P2A? http://www.klaruslight.com/products/Flash_light/80.html

I
    t was recommended by the country walking magazine recently, runs 2xAA batteries with two brightness settings.

LED Fire Torches (use Google) have it for £33.95, which I think is a steal. CPF does seem somewhat 4Sevens obsessed (not saying it's a bad thing, but they are premium money and I'm not always sure quite what extra you are getting).

The new Mini Maglite Pro+ would be another good light, but I doubt anywhere in the UK has them, so you'll have to import from the USA which will add time and cost. On this basis I'd go for the Klarus.
    Yes, Civic Type-R - my other love. EP3, lightly modded had from new for almost 9yrs.

I've had a look at Klarus, I do like their torches, but the ones that use single cells only have 2 modes. High and low. The one that comes closest to my needs is the P1C but it doesn't have a medium mode. If only it did, I would have got that right away.

Not so keen on a maglite to be honest, I've had a few of those in both filament and LED form already. Prefer a clicky and mags are a bit too old-school if you know what I mean.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by reppans View Post
    Take a look at post #7 again.... that includes the XML AA^2
    Thanks, post #7 is for a Quark R5 AA? Not XML, it's XPG - which is ok I guess but it's medium mode run time is a little lacking at 22 OTF lumens for 6 hours (50ma). The Quark Mini X 123 has a medium mode of 45 lumens for 6.5 hours which is a lot better. Ideally, I'm looking for as close to >25 lumens for 10hrs as possible on a single cell.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast