Compact torch with long runtimes with standard batteries?

CTR

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

been a while since I've been on here but I need a compact LED torch that has long run times on a medium brightness, enough to light up a footpath, regulated and use easily obtainable standard batteries.

It's actually for my sister who will be going backpacking shortly so will need something small, lightweight and can use widely available batteries. It need not be super-bright or with a huge throw, but sufficient to light up the way fairly well in an unlit path. Obviously, if it had a mean throw that would be a bonus! :)

I'm looking to spend no more than about 30-40GBP (about 55-60USD) max really...

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Cheers

iron potato

Enlightened
need a compact LED torch that has long run times on a medium brightness, enough to light up a footpath, regulated and use easily obtainable standard batteries.

It's actually for my sister who will be going backpacking shortly so will need something small, lightweight and can use widely available batteries. It need not be super-bright or with a huge throw, but sufficient to light up the way fairly well in an unlit path. Obviously, if it had a mean throw that would be a bonus! :)

Cheers

Easily obtainable standard battery ? I assumed AA size, with good regulated, not much throw & small size, how about Xeno E03v3 XM-L ? Compatible with batteries ranging from Alkaline, NiMh, Li-ion 14500 or LiFePo4, I tested with Eneloop on medium mode (first mode is medium, then low, then high) nearly 4hrs burn time, GITD tail button, also within your budget range as well, I edc one too (XM-L NW) :thumbsup:

Last edited:

dusty99

Newly Enlightened
For performance plus runtime have you looked at the Fenix LD40?

HackerFoo

Newly Enlightened
How about a ZebraLight H51? It runs on a AA cell, and can be used as a flashlight or a headlight.

I think a headlight would be useful for hiking. It's also efficient.

I'm looking at a H600w for both a general purpose flashlight and for a headlight when walking or mowing the grass at night (and fixing my tractor when it breaks a belt on the deck again.)

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go for a Quark R5 AA, they're in the low $40s now with the re-branding sales. Good selection of low modes to choose from (0.2, 4, 22 lumens) to provide enough light while conserving batts. While moonlight is probably not enough to walk outdoors by, I find it invaluable for camping/backpacking for relaxing back at the campsite.... it'll easily get over 300 hrs on 1xAA alkaline... it's having a AC plug with you. Also great for preserving night vision, not disturbing others or attraction unwanted attention.

zarnch

Newly Enlightened
can i suggest the fenix e05??
it uses only 1 AAA battery and the runtime is almost 3 hours.

i don't own "expensive flashlights"

great suggestion, the quark mini AA. its a good choice, for the output and the runtime.

CTR

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all, but still not sure which one is best really.

Yep, I meant AA, AAA or even a CR123 when I said widely available batteries. Single cells would be preferable as it's lighter, but two cells if the torch is really worth it.

Not sure if there's such a torch available but if I had to put numbers to it, ideally, something like a 1xAA or 1xCR123 that gives a continuous >25 lumen (medium) for >10hrs. Is this asking too much from a light?

She'll be travelling light, so won't be carrying too many spare batteries. So the main thing I'm looking for is runtime on medium mode - which gives the option to run max for short periods.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Quark mini AA R5 is worth a consideration and can be bought at LED Fire torches. Don't forget the CPF discount code. It uses a single AA battery and you can use Lithium primaries AA for longer runtimes.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix LD01 might be what your looking for, there was a package deal where you got an LD01 and an E01 for $40us
The Ld01 has a high of 70-80 lumens, but the UI starts on medium and then goes low then high.

The E01 is 10 lumens with a really long runtime (it's anodized purple)

They both run on aaa

warriorsinc

Newly Enlightened
This is exactly what I was asking for..I've seen fenix has this especially with those rechargeable batteries!

CTR

Newly Enlightened
I don't want to seem ungrateful for the suggestions, but as I have quite a few XPG torches already, the emittter seems to be a bit of a vetran in the LED world. I was quietly hoping that there's been some new improved emitters that's come out since the XPG that works well in a compact torch.

I don't have an XML torch, so the Xeno E03 v3 sounds interesting, but when I read up on the runtimes, it seems that it isn't very good on an Alkaline AA. It's either very long runtimes but output is too low, or good output but very short runtimes.

She won't be carrying any rechargeables so she can throw away batteries as she goes along rather than carry them home, so although the E03 v3 seems to run well with NiMh it's probably not very practical for her.

CTR

Newly Enlightened
Fenix LD01 might be what your looking for, there was a package deal where you got an LD01 and an E01 for $40us
The Ld01 has a high of 70-80 lumens, but the UI starts on medium and then goes low then high.

The E01 is 10 lumens with a really long runtime (it's anodized purple)

They both run on aaa

Yeah, it seems quite a few torches have very long runtimes at around 10 lumens, but I feel that 10 lumens is not quite enough to light up an unlit rural path, ideally, it needs to be 25+lumens - if that is possible? If not, how about a 2xAA or 2xCR123? Not hugely keen on AAA as their capacity tends to be poor.

CTR

Newly Enlightened
Is a CR123 a standard battery to you?

Sunwayman M11r is small and has a good runtime on medium.

I quite like the Sunwayman M11R as it claims to be able to run at 60 lumens for 10hrs (Med), but at £65 (104 USD) it is significantly more than I wanted to pay. Just out of interest, does anyone have this torch? Does it get very hot when used for long periods of time on medium mode?

JemR

Newly Enlightened
+1 Quark mini AA
+1 Led fire torches both mentioned by BLUE LED
icon7.gif

also maybe one of the Eagletac d25 series may suit. There is a range of different versions including a rather nice looking ti version with a XM-L emitter. Run times might be the only problem. Lumen levels and price about right.

dusty99

Newly Enlightened
If you want XML there are a couple of places that have the 4Sevens Quark X on sale here in the US (not sure about shipping costs to the UK). I've just bought two. While runtimes on turbo are short, they are more respectable on med. (20 hrs. @ 24 lumens OTF). It should be a good hiking/camping light.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I quite like the Sunwayman M11R as it claims to be able to run at 60 lumens for 10hrs (Med), but at £65 (104 USD) it is significantly more than I wanted to pay. Just out of interest, does anyone have this torch? Does it get very hot when used for long periods of time on medium mode?
It does not get hot on medium mode. XM-L is a difficult choice, as you will need a 16340 cell to achieve full output. XM-L on lower modes are less impressive. Hence the suggestions on XP-G.

CTR

Newly Enlightened
If you want XML there are a couple of places that have the 4Sevens Quark X on sale here in the US (not sure about shipping costs to the UK). I've just bought two. While runtimes on turbo are short, they are more respectable on med. (20 hrs. @ 24 lumens OTF). It should be a good hiking/camping light.

Just had a quick look at the 4Sevens site, they do free worldwide shipping so that's not a problem. But at $70USD it's a bit outside my budget. I won't discount it yet, as it's runtime spec seems to suit my requirements well even though the torch is a 2 cell. The 65Lm for 11hrs on medium is better than what I've been looking for really, if only it was a bit cheaper. I would be willing to sacrifice a little output for a single cell but with similar runtimes... if theres such a thing?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I paid $75 for mine.
I tend to ignore budgetary limits when suggesting lights.
If a light is best, if it's worth it, if you really want it, if you really need it, I'm sure a person capable of navigating to this website is also capable of putting off the purchase a month or so and saving up to get the light.
Been times in my life I have been outstandingly broke but loose change and spare dollars add up to what you want if you are patient.
Buying cheaper things can be incredibly expensive, but it's your sister!