Acebeam
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Crelant 7G5 V2 (XM-L U2, 1x/2x18650) Thrower Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEO, BEAMSHOTS+

Default Re: Crelant 7G5 V2 (XM-L U2, 1x/2x18650) Thrower Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEO, BEAMSHOTS+

Mine seems crazy bright and has insane throw. I'm happy with it.. no tools to measure output.
    Led flashlights...|II|Fenix LD20+ Premium R4, TK45|Quark AA/2AA R5&S2 x2, Preon 1/2 S2/ h.CRI x2 |Olight i6 Paladin|Spark SL6-800CW, ST6 500CW headlamp|Xtar S1|Crelant 7G5 V2|Eagletac D25LC2|ZL SC600 MKI b U2|Thrunite TN12 '14|II|

*Flashaholic*

Buttrock Re: Crelant 7G5 V2 (XM-L U2, 1x/2x18650) Thrower Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEO, BEAMSHOTS+

Its been rainy stormy here for days on end...I think Sunday is the next day projected to NOT be icky out....and, with any luck, I 'll ALSO have a chance Sunday night to go out and play.

I'll do a bunch of beam shots then if I can.

Last edited by TEEJ; 05-03-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Default Re: Crelant 7G5 V2 (XM-L U2, 1x/2x18650) Thrower Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEO, BEAMSHOTS+

One of these days Ill have the time to do some beam shots also.
    In god we trust.........all others are suspects
    There are no problems in life that can not be solved with high explosives or small arms
    Too many new lights to list

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by TEEJ View Post
    Its been rainy stormy here for days on end...I think Sunday is the next day projected to NOT be icky out....and, with any luck, I 'll ALSO have a chance Sunday night to go out and play.

I'll do a bunch of beam shots then if I can.

OK, I snuck in some shots back on the 6th.

Crelant 7G5 V2

That round tree is ~ 400 meters away from the light.

Those telephone poles on the left of the path are 87 meters apart for scale, and the camera and light are situated about even with a pole. That tree from above is lined up about even with the space between the 4th and 5th pole, but the convergence in the pic's angle makes it hard to tell the poles from each other out that far.

As a comparison - The Nitecore Tiny Monster TM11 is still a decent thrower due to shear horsepower, but can't quite throw like the above examples.

The TM11 is good for a coupla hundred meters, very good, but not in the same league as the Crelant 7G5 V2

TM11 beamed down the same path
    Last edited by TEEJ; 05-16-2012 at 06:12 AM.

Cool Re: Crelant 7G5 V2 (XM-L U2, 1x/2x18650) Thrower Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEO, BEAMSHOTS+

The beam reminds me a lot of my first real flashlight, the Fenix LD20 premium R4 w/ smooth reflector. Very similar looking hotspot.. about 20x the power though obviously.
    Led flashlights...|II|Fenix LD20+ Premium R4, TK45|Quark AA/2AA R5&S2 x2, Preon 1/2 S2/ h.CRI x2 |Olight i6 Paladin|Spark SL6-800CW, ST6 500CW headlamp|Xtar S1|Crelant 7G5 V2|Eagletac D25LC2|ZL SC600 MKI b U2|Thrunite TN12 '14|II|

Selfbuilt should be receiving the new Aspheric head for this light shortly. I would imagine he will supplement the review with some new readings.

He should also be receiving the new Crelant 7G9, if it is al I expect we should have a really great review of that one also.
    There are no problems in life that can not be solved with high explosives or small arms

I've found the Crelant 7G5 V2 to be a wonderful low-cost light. Bright. throw. Some spill. What else could we want? When the aspheric heads become available, I would like to buy one.

I have been holding off for a "hand held thrower" for a while. This one looks like it may be ideal.

Will it accept AW flat top cells?

Would TrustFire protected's be OK to use?

If so, how will performance be affected by using 3000mAh over 2400's?

I will probably primarily use in 2x18650 configuration.

Are Xtar WPII chargers any good? I have a Pila IBC, but want a low cost option to give as a gift with a 7G5.
    Last edited by pobox1475; 05-27-2012 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pobox1475 View Post
    I have been holding off for a "hand held thrower" for a while. This one looks like it may be ideal.

Will it accept AW flat top cells?

Would TrustFire protected's be OK to use?

If so, how will performance be affected by using 3000mAh over 2400's?

I will probably primarily use in 2x18650 configuration.

Are Xtar WPII chargers any good? I have a Pila IBC, but want a low cost option to give as a gift with a 7G5.

Lots of questions.

The 7G5v2 will work with any 18650 since the head and tail have springs at both ends.
    The lower mah batteries will have a correspondingly lower run time, XXXfire batteries may or may not be from recycled laptop cells and are subject to wild swings in quality.
    The Xtar chargers are great no issues with them. I have PILA and Xtar chargers I use all the time.

Just an update - the collimator (aspheric) head for the 7G5 V2 is on its way to me for testing. I will update this review with beam measures, pics and beamshots as soon as I can.

In response to questions I have received, please note that the thread style, diameter and thickness are different at all points on the 7G5 V2 compared to the original V1. The overall width of the battery tube and head base are also different. So the collimator head for the V2 cannot possibly fit on the V1. Crelant has directly confirmed to me that the collimator will only fit on the V2.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: ZeroHour XD.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

SELFBUILT
    WHEN you do the review on the crelant collimator head can you please include the following for us modders

- actual lens dia. and front to back thickness of lens
    - coverage of the beam hot spot on throw at 100 yds, or close to it.
    for example- it covers an area 30ftx30ft,etc

would be much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by vinhnguyen54 View Post
    IMO If you are considering the 7G2 then the Olight M3X is the better choice in term if performance.
    I just purchased the 7g5 v2...m3x and the sunwayman t40cs and the difference, although not a ton..is easily recognizable without any special optics. As soon as I get a good camera, I will post some pics of mine. I tested these in the back of a school yard near my house, where there are no other lights. I also found a new way to test the brightness of any flashlight. Rather than going to a DARK place and let the lights do battle....Go to a HALF dark place or even a well lit place. Which ever light shows up the best on a well lit wall or whatever is the clear winner...Just thought I would share that with my fellow flashaholics! Anyway the order of THROW for the three of my lights are
    1. sunwayman t40cs w extender tube
    2. crelant 7g5 v2
    3.olight m3x
    I also thought the m3x would win...NOT!!!
    PS...I am not biased to any of the brands...Just telling it like I see it.
    Keep up the good work guys...I LOVE this forum!!!

The new head makes it look like an old WWII German grenade. It is an interesting accessory

Selfbuilt, can you also please make sure it is tested on a single 18650 and see how it does.
    Last edited by madecov; 06-08-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by madecov View Post
    The new head makes it look like an old WWII German grenade. It is an interesting accessory
    I do feel a strange urge to throw it at people wearing a military uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by madecov View Post
    Selfbuilt, can you also please make sure it is tested on a single 18650 and see how it does.
    Will do, should be heading out in few days, depending on weather conditions.
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: ZeroHour XD.

Does any of you have modes problem???
    I see many say such as stuck on 1 mode etc...

Just a quick reminder for anyone with switch problems.. A McClicky drops right in with a few washers for spacers. Very easy mod.
    This is my signature. They're many like it but this one is mine..

*Flashaholic*

Mines been fine...but for throw lights, I pretty much only use high anyway....otherwise, I didn't need a thrower.

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo_331 View Post
    Just a quick reminder for anyone with switch problems.. A McClicky drops right in with a few washers for spacers. Very easy mod.
    nice, and still retains differing modes?
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Yes it does. Mode changing is taken care of by the driver not the switch.
    This is my signature. They're many like it but this one is mine..

Quote Originally Posted by rufus001 View Post
    I do feel a strange urge to throw it at people wearing a military uniform.
    Maybe that's what makes it a...... thrower?
    EagleTac D25C S2; P20A2 MKII S2; P100C2 Q5; Fenix TK21 U2; LD01 R4; E05 R2; E01
    JETBeam BC10 R5; Romisen RC-G2 II NW; RC-T601 II U2; Inova X5
    Xeno E03; Zebralight SC600; Crelant 7G5-V2 U2; 4Sevens Quark Tactical 123^2 R5

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo_331 View Post
    Yes it does. Mode changing is taken care of by the driver not the switch.
    ah I didn't know that, thanks!

edit: what size washers? i'm gonna do that mod
    Last edited by tobrien; 06-10-2012 at 05:44 PM.
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.

Formerly d1live
    Flashaholic

After I looked at this review a few times I had to try one for myself, quality is on par with other Chinese throwers and the price is excellent. Another Great Review!!! Thank You Selfbuilt..

Thanks. FYI, I am just finishing up my beamshots and pics of the collimator (aspheric) head for the 7G5 V2. Should have this review updated with it in the next day or two.

Mine is coming today ... Very interested to see vs deerelight aspheric

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    Thanks. FYI, I am just finishing up my beamshots and pics of the collimator (aspheric) head for the 7G5 V2. Should have this review updated with it in the next day or two.
    Selfbuilt,

Always looking forward to your reviews

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk
    "Light up the Darkness"

Quote Originally Posted by jmpaul320 View Post
    Mine is coming today ... Very interested to see vs deerelight aspheric
    Let us know how they stack up

"Light up the Darkness"

I have just updated the main review with the results of the new Collimator (aspheric) head for the Crelant 7G5V2.

Since that is a lot to wade though, I have extracted all the Collimator specific bits in this post.

The optional Colimator head comes in its own cardboard box, wrapped in plastic. Scroll down for more pics.

Here's a few shots of the Collimator head, compared to some other well-known aspherics.

From left to right: 18650, Crelant 7G5V2-Collimator, Dereelight DBSV2-Aspheric, Tiablo A9 R2 "Throw King".

UPDATE JUNE 14, 2012: Dimensions of the Collimator head

Whole head: Weight: 255.6g, Length: 79.2mm, Width (bezel): 67.1mm
    Aspheric Lens: Weight: 98.8g, Height (center): 24.0mm, Width (base): 66.7mm

Head build:

Ok, that's a big aspheric lens up there.

The Collimator head replaces the stock 7G5V2 head/reflector, and screws right on the the base of the head (i.e., the pill/emitter area). As you can see, it is rather large (and a bit ungainly looking), but it fits on solidly. Light may feel a little top heavy in the 1x18650 size shown earlier, but it pretty well balanced in 2x18650 with batteries loaded.

The head features cut-out holes around the circumference, similar to the Tiablo A9 (recall the close relationship between Tiablo and Crelant). But this head feels more solid and sturdy than the A9 aspheric head.

This head uses a similar focusing mechanism to the A9 aspheric - you can unscrew the top half of the head relative to it's base, defocusing the optic. In my case, I found ideal focus was pretty much full tight.

There is a glass lens just below the bezel - I'm not sure why (perhaps to protect the aspheric optic?). It is certainly not going to provide additional waterproofing, given the cut-outs around the circumference.

There's a plastic plug that screws into the unused head when not in use, which is a nice touch.

UPDATE JUNE 14, 2012: Head disassembly

First thing to notice if you unscrew the focusing feature all the way (and open the head up completely), is the back of the aspheric lens is held in place by a metal retaining ring. You will need a very wide set of tweezers to fit into the holes on either side of the ring to unscrew.

Once you do, you aspheric lens pops out the back. As you can see above, there is indeed an o-ring above the lip of the aspheric lens that makes contact with a lip inside the head, to maintain waterproofness of the light. Note that it can be a bit tricky to re-seat this o-ring within the head when tightening the lens back into place, so I don't recommend you don't open it up as a matter of course. If you do, mount the o-ring back into the head first, and then carefully re-tighten the retaining ring with the aspheric lens in place

You can unscrew the bezel ring separately, and the front glass lens and o-ring pop out. Again, I am not sure why this lens is here it provides no extra water-proofing, since there are cut-outs on the head below this point (and the aspheric has its own o-ring).

I have provided a quick video overview of the Collimator head below:

Videos were recorded in 720p, but YouTube typically defaults to 360p. Once a video is running, you can click on the configuration settings icon and select the higher 480p to 720p options. You can also run full-screen.

Beamshots:

There's not much point in doing white wall beamshots of aspherics at under 1m. So instead, I will focus on 100-yard outdoor shots.

To start to compare beam profiles, here is how the 7G5V2 output differs between 1x18650 and 2x18650 batteries, on both the standard smooth reflector and the new Collimator head:

Here is how the smooth reflector directly compares to the Collimator head (on 2x18650):

To help you see that better, here is a zoomed perspective on the hotspots:

As with all aspherics, the Collimator head for the 7G5 V2 gives you a projection of the emitter die image at a distance, with little side spill. That said, there is always some degree of chromatic aberration with aspherics (i.e. that colorful blue-red fringing around the edges) this is more noticeable at closer distances, though.

Peak throw has increased with the Collimator head, but not as much as you might have expected. This is due to the relatively large die size of the XM-L emitter. For aspherics to produce very tight throw, you need to start with a very small die. To show you what I mean, below is a comparison to a couple of classic aspheric lights the Dereelight DBS XR-E R2 EZ900, and the Tiablo A9 XR-E R2 "Throw King":

And again zoomed:

Overall, the 7G5V2 Collimator puts out about the same peak throw as the premium EZ900 XR-E DBS aspheric does. But the 7G5V2 Collimator does so over a wider area.

Although hard to give exact measures, I would estimate that the DBS aspheric illuminates an area ~10ft x 10ft (i.e. ~100 square feet) at this 100-yard distance, and the 7G5V2 Collimator illuminates an area ~14ft x 14ft (i.e. ~200 square feet). So effectively, the 7G5V2 is putting out the same intensity of light, but spread out over twice the surface area.

Testing Method:

Ok, this is going to require some explaining.

Measuring peak intensity/beam distance according to ANSI FL-1 is problematic. The standard requires you to hunt around the hotspot with the light sensor for the point of highest intensity. This was clearly intended for standard reflectors or TIR optics. But aspherics produce a direct projection of the emitter die, which has tiny regions of unusually high intensity that are NOT representational of overall output. So if you just reported those, you would get a misleading impression of actual throw.

What I have done instead is provided two numbers in the tables below the first refers to the "average" or typical center-beam intensity, the second refers to the absolute max I was able to measure (i.e. presented as Average Center Lux Max Lux). Overall, the hotspot of the aspheric will more closely match the lower average number.

As expected, the Collimator head throws further than the standard reflector.

But how does it compare to other common aspherics? Below are some tables comparing the reflector and aspheric versions of the 7G5V2, Tiablo A9 variants, and Dereelight DBS XR-E R2 EZ900.

Ok, that's a lot of data the main take home message is that the 7G5V2 Collimator head throws about the same peak intensity as the DBS XR-E R2 EZ900. But as we saw in the outdoor shots earlier, the 7G5V2 actually lights up about twice the surface area at that level.

I realize that people are very sensitive to minor differences in raw lux @1m numbers for these thrower lights. But as with lightboxes, you can only really compare throw values to other lights tested with the same meter, under common conditions (i.e., calibrations vary, sometimes widely). Up until now, the light meter used for beam intensity/distance measures in all my summary tables has been the budget Cer CT1330B (which is generally believed around here to commonly have lower numbers than some others lux meters). I recently picked up the slightly more expensive budget-model V&A VA8050, which gives me higher lux readings.

Here is a comparison of the 7G5V2 on both lux meters:

As I have no idea which of these lux meters is closer to the "true" value, I have recently ordered a proper NIST-calibrated and certified Extech meter. This should resolve the matter, and I will update this review with new (accurately calibrated) throw measures once it arrives.

UPDATE JUNE 14, 2012: Front Lens Removal

Since the extra glass is bound to cut down on light transmission, I have re-tested the throw measures of the Collimator head without it in place:

Don't read in too much into the increased transmission above. It is VERY difficult to get accurate intensity measures from aspheric beams due to the die projection (i.e., intensity is highly variable, with regions of relatively high readings). This is why all my measures in the table are approximate (~) for both average intensity and the peak readings.

To get a better idea of the true effect of the glass, I defocused the aspheric to produce a blurred image, and held the light fairly close to the lux meter's sensor diffuser cover in such a way that the projected hotspot just barely exceeded the diffuser dimensions. This way, I could "even out" the regional imperfections and get a fairly stable reading on the lux meter.

When I did this, I got a fairly consistent ~8% increase in lux readings with the lens removed, on both the Cer and V&A meters. Take it for what it is worth.

Personally, I will be running the light without the extra front lens in place

Potential Issues

The optional Colimator head throws further than the standard reflector head, but has typical chromatic aberrations common to all aspherics (i.e., blue/red fringing).

Preliminary Observations

The optional Collimator (aspheric) head for the 7G5V2 is well made and does the intended job well. Build-wise, I would consider it a step-up from the common Tiablo A9 aspheric head.

In terms of the beam pattern, it is about what you would expect for an aspheric coupled with an XM-L emitter. By that I mean it projects a larger die image than most aspherics coupled to smaller XR-E emitters do. In actual fact, the larger head and optic here are required to produce comparable peak throw to the smaller (and lower output) XR-E aspherics out there.

This might be surprising to some, given that the 7G5V2 has more than 3 times the output of those XR-E lights. But it doesn't throw further because it is working off a much larger emitter die. Instead, it projects that die image/hotspot over a wider area (i.e., I estimate about twice the area of the DBS XR-E R2 EZ900, with comparable intensity).

Check out the 100-yard beamshots earlier in the review they explain it better than any words will. You can also check out my Tiablo A9 XR-E R2 "Throw King", XP-G R5 "Special Edition" and XM-L U2 "Flood" comparison review for a further examination of the effect of aspherics on different types of emitters.
    Last edited by selfbuilt; 06-14-2012 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Draven451 View Post
    Let us know how they stack up

Lol its not dark yet

thanks for the update selfbuilt! mine comes tomorrow in the mail!