So what is the verdict: Do people like the Zebra H600?

witness

Newly Enlightened
Now that people have had a chance to play with the H600 is there a concensus. Is it a keeper or is the battery too big of a PITA?

iron potato

Enlightened
Am still waiting for my H600, still on the way :shrug:
Thinking to exchange for the H600F flood version, but I have got an extra Fenix ad401 diffuser, see if I can mount onto it, then I'll keep it :)

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am still waiting for my H600, still on the way :shrug:
Thinking to exchange for the H600F flood version, but I have got an extra Fenix ad401 diffuser, see if I can mount onto it, then I'll keep it :)

There's always Scotch Magic Tape! That the approach I used on my H51.

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh my gosh is this serious ?

I have H600 and H600w and both are the best headlamps I have ever seen or used.
the design is brilliant. the best balanced headlamp ever, no flopping of the beam from the weight of the head
assembly.

I run eagtac protected 18650 on xtar wpa-II charger and everything works great
in all conditions. rain/sun/below zero/above 100 rock and roll

big light and long runtimes, ez lockout with tailcap

the only thing it needed was...a second strap to go on the rubber mount. I ordered extra straps when I got the lights.

p-e-r-f-e-c-t headlamp IMHO

Gimpy

Newly Enlightened
Still waiting for mine to arrive. Rest assured, you'll have trouble shutting me up (one way or another) once I finally get a chance to test it out :D

finn

Newly Enlightened
I got it specifically for the battery. My h51 was wrecked by a defective alkaline.

Jeffro2690

Newly Enlightened
I've only had my H51w for a few weeks and love it. No real plans on getting an H600 at the moment although my lumen addiction grows stronger everyday, so I'm sure it's just a matter of time

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I've only had my H51w for a few weeks and love it. No real plans on getting an H600 at the moment although my lumen addiction grows stronger everyday, so I'm sure it's just a matter of time

You will be illuminated.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Still waiting for mine to arrive. Rest assured, you'll have trouble shutting me up (one way or another) once I finally get a chance to test it out :D

They can't shut you up now and you don't even have one yet. :whistle: :nana: :D

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've found the H600 to be a great headlamp for my personal uses. I've been using mine for about four months now and find it highly useful.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about the battery perhaps being too big of a pain. Do you mean as in too heavy a battery or too hard to figure out which brand of battery to use or just the idea of having to approach things differently by purchasing a somewhat specialty battery and charger? If it's any one of those things (or combination of them), my answer is, "No, the battery is not a PITA."

All around, I give the H600 a big thumbs up. It's hard to beat the hands-free output and run times in such a small package.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have owned many headlamps over the years. Currently my favorite general use headlamp is the all flood zebralight H501w, but it's only useful for things that are right in front of you....not enough throw for hiking or running. I like my zebra H51 & H51w, but only use them for short distance running or short hikes since it's a single AA light. The Zebra H600 is the best all around headlight IMO, especially for long distance running or hiking, or long trips. The runtimes are incredible, so battery changes don't come often. The output is also incredible for such a small & lightweight rig....just amazing that something so small can produce 750 lumens. The beam is nice (very floody, but has some throw due to the very large hotspot.) With the great output it throws plenty for running or hiking, and I do a lot of trail running with it before the sun is up (I like 270 lumens for 4 hours of runtime.) Just an all around great beam profile without the annoying small bright hotspot in front of your face. For runners I recommend getting the $5 NiteIze head band for this light. The zebralight headband is fine, but bounces around too much when running. The NiteIze headband is perfectly secure and is comfortable.

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find it basically unacceptable.
the runtime on high is short, very short on non aw battery.
when the battery runs down, the light blinks for a moment on high, then shuts off, for good, until you unscrew, then rescrew, the battery cap.
then the light will blink off again, unless you remember to push and hold the button for a lower setting.
I wouldn't want to lend it to anyone since it could blink off at any moment, not to restart unless they know 'the trick.'
How anyone can call this brilliant design must work for the Zebra co...

phooey.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find it basically unacceptable.
the runtime on high is short, very short on non aw battery.
when the battery runs down, the light blinks for a moment on high, then shuts off, for good, until you unscrew, then rescrew, the battery cap.
then the light will blink off again, unless you remember to push and hold the button for a lower setting.
I wouldn't want to lend it to anyone since it could blink off at any moment, not to restart unless they know 'the trick.'
How anyone can call this brilliant design must work for the Zebra co...

phooey.

You have a faulty light because the light is designed to step down as the battery runs down. I have tested this with my H600, and it does in fact step down slowly & runs for a very very long time on the lower modes. Send yours back cus the light should not just blink out.

This kind of behavior was found in the SC30/H30 and the H31/H31, and discussed at length on CPF. I think Zebralight was listening, and began redesigning the newer lights to step down instead of blinking out. Here's a link to that thread - http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?324877-Why-one-of-my-most-pricy-headlamps-is-relegated-to-th-bedside-Zebralight-fans-beware

Also, you are faulting the light for the performance of your batteries. I've seen where people have reported using all kinds of 18650's that worked fine. Yes the better quality batteries & batteries with a higher mah will work better, but that's what you get em for. The cheaper ones are simply that "cheap."

Anyway, I think you should test a different battery in your H600. If that doesn't make it work right then I'd return it.

Good Luck

Last edited:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
this is a h600w that was a replacement for a mistakenly shipped h600..both have the same problem. it was ok at first but just started with the erratic behavior the other day, again. btw, a have sc600, designed the same, same problem, and although zebra admits it, they won't replace it because 'it was designed that way'... in other words they say it isn't broken. double phooey.

Viper715

Enlightened
My H600W is about a month old. I've been in the woods and some caves with it several times now. Mine works just fine on high and has the step down. I haven't had to change the battery in the field during any of my excursions. So far so good. I like the light and hope it keeps working great. I wish thy would design an over the head strap for their headbands though. That is too much bulk at the front with no support. I've taken a strap and rigged it but I would prefer an OEM solution. I've considered buying the fenix headband and trying that.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tested this with my H600, and it does in fact step down slowly & runs for a very very long time on the lower modes. Send yours back cus the light should not just blink out.

Yeah, my H600 does a proper step down, too, without blinking off. I'm pretty sure the one I received was one from the first batch made available in the US since I preordered before they were actually available (if that has any bearing on things).

I also have an older SC600, which I bought via the CPF Marketplace second hand, and it was one of the early releases of the SC600. It does have that blink off issue when juice runs low when running it on high. But I've never seen that behavior with my H600.

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't get it. The NiteIze headband I found is for front lens light. It will work with the H600?

Yeah, looking at the picture that NiteIze uses on their advertisements shows a goofy looking dude wearing the strap with a forward facing flashlight on the side of his head...which works fine. For an angle-light / headlight to work in it you just wear it on your forehead instead on the side of your head. You slide the H600 into the loop on the headband, wear it on your forehead, and it faces forward.