Really cheap true cc/cv usb charging board

litos

Newly Enlightened
Hello everybody!

I'm a new member in this community. I always liked flashlights but i was unaware that there were people addicted to them.

I have a cheap 3xAAA flashlight that i modded with an R2 drop in. I use it all the time in my work (i'm a mechanical engineer and i work in a brick producing plant). The main feature is an adjustable magnetic base that allows me to attach it to any machine and point it anywhere.

At this point i want to upgrade to something more bright, more reliable and with longer runtime, but i want to do it on a tight budget.

I'm thinking of buying the ultrafire 501-B flashlight with the XM-L T6. I can get it for 14 USD in ebay.

What made me open this thread was the charger. After googling a while, i'm convinced that i can have a very good charger for a very low price. I don't need a fancy cradle charger, or multi bay charger, just something that i can attach to a 18650 and charge it saflely acording to the cc/cv algorithm.

I was going around the TP4054 IC, when i found this board:

Ebay Item number: 330699360128

It uses a TP4056 IC, has 1A output current, but can be adjusted to other currents by changing one resistor. It follows cc/cv algorithm. If i can charge a 18650 battery with a 1A current then this is pretty much plug and play.

This leads me to my first question. Is it safe to charge a 18650 battery, let's say a 2500mAh with 1A current?

On the other hand, if i connect this to an USB port (maximum output of 500mA) or a wall cell phone charger (also 500mA), then, even with this resistor setting, the current going to the battery will allways be lower than 500mA, right?

Another issue is the battery temperature. On this board the monitoring of the battery temperature is disabled. I believe thats also true for the majority of the chargers out there, but still i have safety concerns. So i had an idea,and i would like to know your opinion. This chip as a built in thermal feedback, that regulates the charging current to prevent the die from overheating. I was thinking that if i place the battery on top of the chip while charging, and if by any reason it overheats then it will also heat the chip reducing the charging current. Will this work? Any of you guys have experience with this board or IC?

Previously i was thinking of modding the flashlight so that the battery could be charged inside, but i'm not so sure now. Is it safe to charge the battery in a so tight sealed enviroment?

This thread is mainly about the charger but please fell free to give me your opinion about the flashlight also.

Thank you guys!

Last edited by a moderator:

Norm

Retired Administrator
:welcome:

Interesting item, I've never notice that module before. I've ordered few to play with.

Cheers Norm

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast

This leads me to my first question. Is it safe to charge a 18650 battery, let's say a 2500mAh with 1A current?

Yes

On the other hand, if i connect this to an USB port (maximum output of 500mA) or a wall cell phone charger (also 500mA), then, even with this resistor setting, the current going to the battery will allways be lower than 500mA, right?

Yes

Another issue is the battery temperature. On this board the monitoring of the battery temperature is disabled. I believe thats also true for the majority of the chargers out there, but still i have safety concerns. So i had an idea,and i would like to know your opinion. This chip as a built in thermal feedback, that regulates the charging current to prevent the die from overheating. I was thinking that if i place the battery on top of the chip while charging, and if by any reason it overheats then it will also heat the chip reducing the charging current. Will this work? Any of you guys have experience with this board or IC?

I have no idea. I guess so. At 500mA, you'd need a really dodgy 18650 to be worrying about overheating. Buy quality cells and you won't have much to worry about.

Previously i was thinking of modding the flashlight so that the battery could be charged inside, but i'm not so sure now. Is it safe to charge the battery in a so tight sealed enviroment?

If the battery vents while charging, your sealed environment would be more like a pipe bomb. If you don't want your light to be waterproof, you can drill a venting hole in it to allow for safe charging.

litos

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:Ive edited your eBay link, we don't allow direct links to eBay or dealer web sites, you may mention a dealer by name. Interesting item, I've never notice that module before. I've ordered a couple to play with.Cheers Norm
Thanks norm! I read some rule about long links not being allowed, but i guess i missed that one about direct links to dealer web sites :oops:.

Last edited by a moderator:

bstrickler

Enlightened
Hmmm... Seems like a perfect board to use for my bluetooth headset, so I don't have to carry 2 chargers with me all the time (its charger charges at 200 mA, while my cell phone charger charges at 1A, and my external battery pack charges at 600mA). Swap the input connector with a micro USB, put a micro USB output, change the resistor, and voila, 1 less charger I have to carry.

Now if I could find a 1.5v boost charger for charging at a constant 4.5/5v (lower current output, like 20mA would be fine, considering I usually charge my headset when I'm sleeping, and would also work great for my Ipod nano), I'd be ecstatic!

I have soooo many AAA, AA, and D cell batteries that could benefit from a charger like that, considering I don't go through many batteries in my E01 (same battery for the last 6-8 months), or my E05 (still on its first battery, after about 2-3 weeks).

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting item, I've never notice that module before. I've ordered few to play with.

Cheers Norm

I just did the same :)

cottonpickers uses the same IC in his USB chargers, and they work fantastically. If this is even half as good, for the money it'd be brilliant!

CKOD

Enlightened

You will have to lower the charge current to <500mA to be compatible, it wont limit current, other than to just shut off the port/trip a polyfuse.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will have to lower the charge current to <500mA to be compatible, it wont limit current, other than to just shut off the port/trip a polyfuse.

I have one of cottonpickers chargers that uses the same IC.

If I set it to 750mA, and plug it into a standard 500mA USB port, it simply charges at 500mA.

litos

Newly Enlightened
cottonpickers uses the same IC in his USB chargers, and they work fantastically. If this is even half as good, for the money it'd be brilliant!

That's exactly what i thought. I was thinking of assembling a board like this, and then i found this one. I couldn't built it for this price myself.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Has anyone received any of these charger boards yet?

I have just received three, (yet to test them) I was interest in varying the current as stated in the auction, I'm unsure of the resistor to change. Three message to the seller so far no helpful reply one stating "change the resistor" but not tell me which resistor, one saying "it can't be done" which is wrong I'm sure and the final message asking if I want a refund.

I'll post progress if any, currently waiting on a fourth reply but I'm not holding my breath for a sensible response.

Norm

AmperSand

Enlightened
Has anyone received any of these charger boards yet?

I have just received three, (yet to test them) I was interest in varying the current as stated in the auction, I'm unsure of the resistor to change. Three message to the seller so far no helpful reply one stating "change the resistor" but not tell me which resistor, one saying "it can't be done" which is wrong I'm sure and the final message asking if I want a refund.

I'll post progress if any, currently waiting on a fourth reply but I'm not holding my breath for a sensible response.

Norm

I received one yesterday. I myself have had no time to play either. Just checked the datasheet for the TP4056 IC it uses and have come to the conclusion what you are looking for is in the following pic.

usbcharger.jpg

Norm

Retired Administrator
I received one yesterday. I myself have had no time to play either. Just checked the datasheet for the TP4056 IC it uses and have come to the conclusion what you are looking for is in the following pic.

Thanks lovecpf

Norm

AmperSand

Enlightened
Sorry the pic looks a bit dodgy, iPhone at work wasn't exactly a great shot but gets the idea across.
If my soldering iron and other gear hadn't been stolen from my car a few months ago I'd have had mine nice and functional as a charger for my 3100mah cells I use in my Fenix PD31/Eagletac D25LC2/Eagletac G25C2. Normally use a hobby charger at home. But this is great for laptop bag/at work without having to take a hobby charger everywhere.
Thinking about getting some 18650 holders and building the USB module into it.
Portable/safe Li-ion charger!!!!

Norm

Retired Administrator
Thinking about getting some 18650 holders and building the USB module into it.
Portable/safe Li-ion charger!!!!
I have a Pila but I think I'll put a couple of boards into an old WolfEyes Charger just for the fun of the project.

Norm

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a 2.5A 5V supply, I'm going to use two of these to refit a dead wf-188 to have two independent 1A channels :)

AmperSand

Enlightened
Just quickly rigged mine up to charge an 18650 with magnet connectors. I'm at work so I can't leave it complete at the moment but so far its gone from 4.05v (cell I have in my EDC) and its currently still in constant current stage and is upto 4.15v. Have a multimeter connected to see voltage on output to battery so I can monitor it. Its only going to my computer USB port, so its probably limited to around 500mA.
Everything seems to be going ok. I might solder the leads I have with aligator clips (which I will use magnets with) to the board and use some clear heatshrink on the board and I think that may be good enough for portability, keeps the size small.

All in all seems to be going quite well. Should be good to be able to top up my EDC's cell while sitting at my desk without having to lug around too much gear at all. Bargain for the price.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The basic problem of this board is IMO if you are using this charger board on a USB port @1A you may destroy the power lines of the used USB power port. In general most USB ports are only capable driving 500mA as maximum current. There are on some devices "high power ports" but this is not specified in USB 2.0. Depending on the design of the USB power generation of the PC it may happen the fuse of the USB power line will be destroyed or the port electronics.

spectrrr

Newly Enlightened
Just picked up a few of these as tinker boards, look like great fun little projects and great EDC backup chargers.

One question I know I'll have is how to determine the value of the resister to change? I was thinking I might even solder in a second breadboard with a multi-position switch... but really I'm a "hack" when it comes to this stuff (I still like to play at tho!!!) and don't know how to determine that resister value... any help there would be fantastic!

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ebay link says :
RPROG (k)IBAT (mA)

That would be a good place to start, I reckon.

Also, good find, can't wait to redo my old junked chargers :)