XT11 Beamshots (18650 vs, RCR123's)

Adrenaline_6

Newly Enlightened
Well I finally picked up some AW 750mAH RCR123's. I wanted to see what the difference was and if it was noticeable. OH HELL YEA!!! Very impressive!!

Since my beamshots in my last thread weren't absolutely horrific (thanks Teej for the support) I figured I would share my discovery the best way possible. Again, I am throwing out the disclaimer that this is a simple digital camera so noise is an issue that is not there in person. Hope you like them.

Control shot (barely perceptible tree line):

klarusxt11control.jpg

XT11 - 18650 Fence line at @80' (missed the fence a little but got the bushes 10 feet behind it...oops):

xt11186501.jpg

XT11 - RCR123's Fence line same distance as above (better aim this time):

xt11rcr1232.jpg

XT11 - 18650 Tree line at @100':

xt11186502.jpg

XT11 - RCR123's Tree line same distance as above:

xt11rcr1231.jpg

XT11 - 18650 Distant tree line at @175':
xt11186503.jpg

XT11 - RCR123's Distant treeline same distance as above:

xt11rcr1233.jpg

Bonus close up RCR shot:

xt11rcr1234.jpg

Again, the shots were a lot better in person. The 18650 was not a slouch in performance at all. I could see a lot more detail like branches and leaves than the distant pictures portray. This was just to show a comparison between the two battery types in the XT11. The detail that you could see with the RCR 123's were spectacular. :)

Last edited:

ledmitter

Enlightened
Well I finally picked up some AW 750mAH RCR123's. I wanted to see what the difference was and if it was noticeable. OH HELL YEA!!! Very impressive!!

Since my beamshots in my last thread weren't absolutely horrific (thanks Teej for the support) I figured I would share my discovery the best way possible. Again, I am throwing out the disclaimer that this is a simple digital camera so noise is an issue that is not there in person. Hope you like them.

Again, the shots were a lot better in person. The 18650 was not a slouch in performance at all. I could see a lot more detail like branches and leaves than the distant pictures portray. This was just to show a comparison between the two battery types in the XT11. The detail that you could see with the RCR 123's were spectacular. :)

700 lumens always looks good. How is the build quality of your light? I want to regain my faith in Klarus. :D

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, RCR's are great for extreme light. The run time is pretty poor though.

LEDMITTER<
I'm not sure how you ended up with two dud's/ I have two personally owned XT-10's and an XT-11 and have sold several XT-11's. No issues at all with any of them. In fact I have the entire XT line and each has been perfect.

ledmitter

Enlightened
Yup, RCR's are great for extreme light. The run time is pretty poor though.

LEDMITTER<
I'm not sure how you ended up with two dud's/ I have two personally owned XT-10's and an XT-11 and have sold several XT-11's. No issues at all with any of them. In fact I have the entire XT line and each has been perfect.

We'll see. If I get a 3rd dud, I might just order one from you. :D

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Adrenaline 6:
you sure got my adrenaline spiking..I too have the XT11 but so far used with 1x18650. I'd like to ask if what is the voltage of the RCR123 that you used? 3.2v or the 3.7v? After reading your post a while ago a friend suggested to me to try 2x18350s (I don't know if 70mm total will fit though, but I think it will). Have you considered this too? AW has such type, 3.7v. As we know the XT11 is rated up to 8.4v. Here in my place only the 3.2v rcr123 lipo4 is available.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I use ICR 123's (AW) with 750 mAh in my S18, and they're 3.7v

That means in the XT11 I could swap the one 18650 for two ICR123's and bump it from 4.2v to 7.4v

:D

I haven't DONE that because I have the cells in matched sets, and if I swap some to the XT11, I'd need another set of 123's.

I think I might do that though...as the jump in performance is nice....albeit the drop to 750 mAh from the 3100 mAh I have with one 18650 might negate some of the fun.

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
So this will boil down to which is better, the ICR 123s or the IMR 18350s? Both have 750mAh. ( at the moment let us not include the 18650's 3100mAh factor) Anyway, if ever you try the IMR 18350s please let me know...they are rechargeables and available in my place

Adrenaline_6

Newly Enlightened
700 lumens always looks good. How is the build quality of your light? I want to regain my faith in Klarus. :D

Like everyone else on this forum has been saying. My XT11 is perfect. Build quality is excellent. You seem to be the only one with the bad luck. Sorry about that. If you do decide to get one from madecov, I'm sure he will make sure the one that goes out to you is pristine condition.

Adrenaline_6

Newly Enlightened
Adrenaline 6:
you sure got my adrenaline spiking..I too have the XT11 but so far used with 1x18650. I'd like to ask if what is the voltage of the RCR123 that you used? 3.2v or the 3.7v? After reading your post a while ago a friend suggested to me to try 2x18350s (I don't know if 70mm total will fit though, but I think it will). Have you considered this too? AW has such type, 3.7v. As we know the XT11 is rated up to 8.4v. Here in my place only the 3.2v rcr123 lipo4 is available.

It is a standard 3.7v RCR123 from AW (750mAh). Fully charged is 4.2 volts, so it fits right in with the 8.4v limit. I never considered 18350's since the RCR123 fits the bill perfectly.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
i had no idea the difference was that incredible. I gotta get one asap now. before, it was a "i'll buy it when I can" but thanks to your beamshots I HAVE to get one asap

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Id like to see a comparison to the Zebra light everyone is talking about.

The SC600?

Its very sweet...but it has limited throw compared to the XT11 (Which is floody for that size to start with). The SC600's beam is a pool of light, maybe 50-60 yards worth of good illumination. I have the SC600 and 600W...and use them too, but they are better indoors to flood light, than they are outdoors except for camping, etc...where a ball of light is lantern-like in function, which works great.

luvbelly

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the pics, I think. Now I have to pick up some batteries. Amazing difference and if as you suggest it's better in person I have to give them a shot.

Adrenaline_6

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the pics, I think. Now I have to pick up some batteries. Amazing difference and if as you suggest it's better in person I have to give them a shot.

No problem. Yes, the "static" or "noise" you see in the pictures is the digital camera so it takes detail away from the actual image. You won't see that in person.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
With the 123's, you SEE the beam itself in the pic. With the 18650's, the targets are lit, but you don't see the beam lighting up the air itself on its way downrange.

Its only supposed to be ~ 100 lumens or so more, but Crikey, they're a USEFUL ~ 100 lumens.

It actually makes the floody thing THROW!

:D

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I'm trying to decide if it throws better than the ThruNite Scorpion V2

Scorpion%20V2_019.gif

I would be shocked if it did, its a much smaller reflector, etc. Going from floody to throwy is enough improvement as far as range goes as it is.

We COULD take a light meter and do a 1 M Lux on it to get a guess at least.

ledmitter

Enlightened
I would be shocked if it did, its a much smaller reflector, etc. Going from floody to throwy is enough improvement as far as range goes as it is.

We COULD take a light meter and do a 1 M Lux on it to get a guess at least.

DSC_9200.jpg

DSC_6781.jpg

I've always known the Scorpion was indeed a brighter light (even with the XML-T6), but I didn't like its particular design.

Err. Back on topic :D The Klarus XT11 does have a better interface. IMO.

Last edited:

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is getting to be interesting....keep it going guys...
The SC600 is mostly width, minimal length...the XT11? you've got to see it...its got both
I'm going to try mine with 2x18350 AW IMRs...3.7vRCR123s not available

Last edited:

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
As you all know I like the Klarus XT series.
That being said, I also really like the Thrunite Scorpion V2. I have one and it is a very nice light but large.