AuroraLight Bulb?

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the AuroraLight was new, it was a way to host a TL-3 bulb in a mini-mag with two 14500.

A related version of this mod gained the nickname of the "MiniBeast", effective at slinging 400 torch lumens out of a minimal, at the cost of very short burns, overheating, and pushing LiCo batteries to dangerous extremes.

I've been working on an AuroraLight for a while, and I now have found all the parts, save bulb and batteries. This being the age of the IMR cell, AW's fine red products will power this monster. What is the most crazy awesome incandescent that I can put into it? The pin spacing is the same as a stock Mag bulb, and all polymer components have been replaced with aluminum and ceramic - so go crazy.

I suspect the answer is a certain Fivemega/Carley custom, but I don't know if they're available in "Reliable" yet - the last batch I read about was failing with distressing frequency and violence.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Welch-Allyn 1274 is available over at CPFMP.
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?220836-Welch-Allyn-bi-pin-bulbs-for-sale
The TL-3 is available at Lighthound.

09-30-2009
I have just acquired an original AuroraLite kit for the mini-mag
WOW you have been at this for a while.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?243639-Modern-Aurora-Options

The Mini Maglite Pro is 226 lumens and the Pro+ is 245 lumens or 25% of that. $25.49 and $28.99. Stock. No need to mod anymore unless you like the incan tint. At least the basic AuroraLight with the TL-3.
I got a neutral white Quark X AA2, an AA body and AW14500. Now I have a 1AA light that is much more pocketable than a minimag. ~260 lumens.

Last edited:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I have been, though I seem to be finishing my CPF projects at a fairly rapid clip these days as technology catches up with my goals. I remember that a few years ago, "As bright as a 60 watt work light, but better focused and runs for an hour" got my noob self nearly laughed out of the thread, if not for the incredibly polite folks that haunt these halls. Now it's $150, and runs for six hours on three NiMH D cells, and is available from Elektrolumens.

The Milky-modded light I wanted while I was gainfully employed became the HDS Rotary, though I wanted 600 lumens on the burst setting. Now, all I need to do is find someone to swap a high-bin XM-L into that Rotary.

The battery I wanted for my Pineapple was introduced, four years after I bought the host. :shakehead

Really, I want a couple FM-1794 bulbs, but they're scarcer than tritium these days.