I was thinking of selling my spare Strider SnG until... updated 3/29

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got the gumption to actually try this. Preview:

WARNING: I do not recommend doing this. The amount of force it took to go this far through two quarters is great. Many lockback and liner lock knives WILL FAIL under this kind of stress. (not to mention that many knife blades just won't do this, period)

I took quite a few safety precautions to do this (ie: armored gloves and a borrowed welder's mask).
IMAG0629.jpg

Here is just the first quarter:
IMAG0630.jpg

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
:wow:

That blade is no joke, holy cow. I watched a youtube video of some guys torturing a Strider, it was unbelievable what it held up to.

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's impressive to me 'Cuz the tip isn't broken off or smashed flat after being pounded through metal, which is what I would imagine would happen to most blades.

You really think most blades at the same price point would fail this "test"?

nbp

Flashaholic
You really think most blades at the same price point would fail this "test"?

:shrug: I dunno, I'm not a knife maker. Maybe other blades in the same category of 'tactical/defense folder' or whatever Striders are considered would pass, assuming they had similar blade shape/thickness and steel. I'm not pounding my ZT through any coinage to find out though. I imagine many other knives, even at high price points would fail though due to the style of blades they have. Thin 'slicer' tips on most folders would suffer deformation, don't you think?

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took some other photos, I just haven't posted them here. This is the two quarters and the tip of the blade afterward. You can see the several places where I had made attempts and just didn't use enough force (and missed as well).

IMAG0645.jpg

bstrickler

Enlightened
A blade with a RC 58-59 can be hammered through 1/8 inch of tin? whoa...

Well, technically copper and nickel. Still, with the amount of work hardening that coins go through, it is fairly surprising to me.

Beretta1526, I dare you to do that to a Canadian quarter! :devil: I'll even donate you some!