• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

I am a new Gun Fan! Please educate me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I just recently got into the hobby of Guns. They are just as addicting as flashlights! :)

For my first two gun I bought a Ruger SR9C and a Ruger SR22 Pistol.

Both are excellent guns!

My next purchase will be a Glock 19 :)

At the moment I am only interested in pistols. I will get into rifles sometime down the road but not right now. So here I have a few questions for everyone.

- What are your favorite calibers and why.
- What are your favorite pistols and why.
- What online websites have good prices?
- Are there any budget .22LR and 9mm pistols that are cheap and fairly reliable?

Tell me anything interesting. I love this new hobby!

Admin Edit: The requests for websites with good prices and recommendations for budget items should not be addressed here, and will likely result in closure of the thread due to commercializing the topic. Please, all refrain from addressing such concerns, unless it's through PM or email. - Empath

Last edited by a moderator:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
22s are really nice because they're cheap to shoot. Rugers are really affordable and reliable. You're spot on with the Ruger SR22 you bought, but personally I would've picked a Mk III. Like flashlights there are way too many to have just one favorite. :)

us3rname

Newly Enlightened
Grab yourself a nice Ruger MKIII for a 22 plinker. They're built like tanks and loads of stuff you can do to them.

I myself appreciate revolvers and 1911s. You've gotten yourself some very good pieces so far. Have you looked into any 1911? They're super fun to shoot. reliable. and a good looking firearm.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
22s are really nice because they're cheap to shoot. Rugers are really affordable and reliable. You're spot on with the Ruger SR22 you bought, but personally I would've picked a Mk III. Like flashlights there are way too many to have just one favorite. :)

I actually ordered a MKIII but then I swapped over to the SR22 just because it looks more modern and is easier to clean...The MKIII Hunter with the short 4" barrel is so nice but it's too expensive for me.

Empath

Flashaholic
The following advisement has been placed in the first post by administration:

Admin Edit: The requests for websites with good prices and recommendations for budget items should not be addressed here, and will likely result in closure of the thread due to commercializing the topic. Please, all refrain from addressing such concerns, unless it's through PM or email. - Empath

Rossymeister

Enlightened
My favorite platform is the M1911. I find the 45acp cartridge easier to manage than a 9mm. Also, the 1911 platform is very easy to take down, usually takes around 10 minutes to strip down to a bare bones frame. I did have some FTF with some metalform magazines , but some WC mags corrected that issue pretty quickly.

As far as calibers are concerned, anything .380 and above suits my needs just fine.

Now, AR15`s are a different story.:naughty:

Itinifni

Newly Enlightened
As dudemar said you can't beat a 22 for getting into the sport, cheap to shoot, loads of inexpensive options and accurate at the right distance. I have a Ruger MkII Government Target Model, a little work on the trigger and a set of grips and it makes a nice target pistol. You don't mention what you want to do with your shooting. If you're looking for lots of power and a big bang the 22 isn't for you. If you want to work on your shooting skills the MkIII or maybe a Thompson Contender would be a good choice. With the Contender you would also have a choice of various calipers.

OCD

Enlightened
I have a Thompson Contender with a 10" .357 Maximum barrel and a 14" .222 barrel. Both are fun to shoot, but the .222 is VERY LOUD and has a ton of concussion with that short of a barrel. My favorite pistol is my Browning Buckmark Plus .22LR

Its very accurate and looks great - stainless barrel and slide with a black frame and grey and black composite grips.

I like shooting all kinds of guns at all kinds of targets, but I don't think there's anything more enjoyable than plinking cans with .22! You can do a lot of shooting without breaking the bank and don't need a long distance like you do with big bore rifles. And you only need to be accurate enough to kick the can around. Some of my fondest memories growing up were Sundays spent at my grandparents with all my uncles and cousins, spending the afternoon going through 1000's of rounds of .22's....back when they came in "bricks", not bulk.

It's not about how many guns you have (o.k., maybe a little!) but rather using and enjoying the ones you have.

Imon

Enlightened
I've always favored the 9x19 cartridge I believe it gets unfairly criticized as weak and not as a man-stopper.
Out of all commercially available handgun cartridges I truly believe in terms of recoil, availability, cost, capacity, and effectiveness 9x19 has hit a balance that no other handgun cartridge has achieved thus-far.
For those of you guys who don't know - 9x19 has been around for over a hundred years. I don't think the same can be said about .45 ACP. The first gun to my knowledge chambered in .45 ACP is the Colt 1905. Also for those of you guys who say 9mm overpenetrates you are living in the past there are many aspects to penetration of tissue one of the biggest reasons being the weight of the bullet. Those of you familiar with handgun cartridges know that the .45 ACP bullet typically weighs twice as much as the 9mm bullet (230 gr vs 115 gr) and even though .45 ACP travels slower ~850-900 ft/s vs 1150-1200 ft/s the sheer mass of .45 ACP often results in greater tissue penetration of the .45 ACP cartridge over 9mm.
Combine this with the fact that newer modern hollowpoints like the Federal HST and Winchester Ranger Ts are pushing the limits of performance of 9mm hollowpoints and there's no doubt in my mind that 9mm is an ideal handgun cartridge.

As for .40 S&W...
Well I have to give it some time. I've never really been a huge fan. More along the weight of a .45 ACP (180 gr typically) velocity ~1000 ft/s
Out of all three cartridges 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP - .40 S&W tends to have the greatest penetration, which necessarily isn't a bad thing, I think when you're talking handgun ballistics overpenetration is better than underpenetration. Especially when you consider the fact that many expert, like Ayoob Massad, consider accidental or collateral shooting to be far overstated.
For me .40 S&W is 25-40% more recoil than 9mm for slightly increased performance and I'm tired of guys trying to act macho and put up a false bravado and telling me to put up with the recoil. If I can get faster second shots with 9mm without the snappy recoil impluse of .40 S&W then I consider that a big advantage. The two things I can say positively about .40 S&W is that like all heavier bullets they tend to deflect less when hitting an obstacle - like automotive glass (which does strange things to bullets) and that .40 S&W has better post-barrier performance (typically) than 9mm (by barriers I mean things like walls and car doors).

As for handguns. We live in good times. There are many many good handguns out there and I used to work in a gun shop for a few years and what I would tell people is - if the gun is made by a reputable company you're probably good. A lot of really nasty arguments comes around from brand loyalty and simple hatred/distrust of other brands for various reason.
If you do want my opinion however, and this is just my opinion, the Glock 19 (Good pick OP) is the most balanced handgun in terms of size, capacity, weight, price, reliability, and it just has a damn good reputation. I know if I had to pick out only one of my many (excellent) handguns it would be the Glock 19.

Edit:
I read so much about people talking .22 LR here. I love .22s as well. Cheap to shoot and fun!
I've owned a Browning Buckmark for years and have been very pleased with it. The Ruger Mk I/II/III pistols are excellent too but .... well you guys know what.
As for a .22 rifle, well it was my first gun, I was a sheep :p and bought a Ruger 10/22. Don't regret it at all. The price of the 10/22s have gone up since then but really the only real complaint I have about the 10/22 is the stock trigger... but, meh - can't win it all.

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
WOW the Browning Buckmark Plus .22LR is so gorgeous!!! It is also more or as reliable as a Mark III?

I have a Thompson Contender with a 10" .357 Maximum barrel and a 14" .222 barrel. Both are fun to shoot, but the .222 is VERY LOUD and has a ton of concussion with that short of a barrel. My favorite pistol is my Browning Buckmark Plus .22LR

Its very accurate and looks great - stainless barrel and slide with a black frame and grey and black composite grips.

I like shooting all kinds of guns at all kinds of targets, but I don't think there's anything more enjoyable than plinking cans with .22! You can do a lot of shooting without breaking the bank and don't need a long distance like you do with big bore rifles. And you only need to be accurate enough to kick the can around. Some of my fondest memories growing up were Sundays spent at my grandparents with all my uncles and cousins, spending the afternoon going through 1000's of rounds of .22's....back when they came in "bricks", not bulk.

It's not about how many guns you have (o.k., maybe a little!) but rather using and enjoying the ones you have.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Congratulations on your interest in handguns. I suggest that you start out with 22's also. Do not jump into centerfire handguns for awhile. If possible get some help learning firearm techniques from shooting clubs, or maybe indoor ranges, check around. You may want to know what we shoot, and that will help you down the road, but it is not really important now. For info, I shoot 22,357, 38, 41, 44, 45, 9mm, 32, and 380. Ruger, Smith and Wesson, Beretta, Browning, CZ, Colt, Glock, Rock Island. I always shoot my best with wheel guns, revolvers.

Members. follow Unforgiven's instructions.

Bill

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
1911 are too expensive for me right now :-(. An AR15 would also freak my parents out!

My favorite platform is the M1911. I find the 45acp cartridge easier to manage than a 9mm. Also, the 1911 platform is very easy to take down, usually takes around 10 minutes to strip down to a bare bones frame. I did have some FTF with some metalform magazines , but some WC mags corrected that issue pretty quickly.

As far as calibers are concerned, anything .380 and above suits my needs just fine.

Now, AR15`s are a different story.:naughty:

Imon

Enlightened
WOW the Browning Buckmark Plus .22LR is so gorgeous!!! It is also more or as reliable as a Mark III?

I would say in terms of reliability they are both more or less the same. You can't go wrong with either one. I have a friend who has a Mk II and it's a joy to shoot (Because it has a custom trigger :party:)
It's like the Ruger 10/22 vs the Marlin 60 or Mossberg 500 vs Remington 870 - you can't go wrong with either one.

The reason I chose the Buckmark over the Mk III is because well... as previously (not implied) in my post the Mk series of pistols is very .... uhhh fun... to disassemble.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Does the Buckmark comes in a barrel shorter than 5.5? I don't want a barrel that long.

I would say in terms of reliability they are both more or less the same. You can't go wrong with either one. I have a friend who has a Mk II and it's a joy to shoot (Because it has a custom trigger :party:)
It's like the Ruger 10/22 vs the Marlin 60 or Mossberg 500 vs Remington 870 - you can't go wrong with either one.

The reason I chose the Buckmark over the Mk III is because well... as previously (not implied) in my post the Mk series of pistols is very .... uhhh fun... to disassemble.

Imon

Enlightened
Does the Buckmark comes in a barrel shorter than 5.5? I don't want a barrel that long.

If I remember correctly it also comes in a 4" barrel length.
There are many aftermarket parts for the Buckmark. It hasn't been on the market as long as the Mk series of pistols but it's been about 3 decades since the Buckmark has been introduced. Newer Buckmark models have easily interchangeable barrels - all you need are hex keys.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
No, believe me, the Buckmark is too popular to come in just a 5.5" barrel length you'll find all kinds of barrel lengths including ones longer than 5.5"

Found it! the 4" model! :)

The prettier they are the more expensive they are LOL

Last edited:

Imon

Enlightened
Found it! the 4" model! :)

The prettier they are the more expensive they are LOL

By the way I would recommend the 5.5" version over the 4" version mostly because I've handled both and I believe the 5.5" model has a better balance. The Buckmark is a heavy pistol - 30 oz if I remember correctly vs 23 oz of the Glock 19. The 4" Buckmark will feel a bit back heavy. You'll also, should, get better accuracy with the 5.5" version not really because of the longer barrel - I've always told people handgun accuracy is 90% shooter 10% gun but the longer sight radius of the 5.5" Buckmark should give you an edge.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
By the way I would recommend the 5.5" version over the 4" version mostly because I've handled both and I believe the 5.5" model has a better balance. The Buckmark is a heavy pistol - 30 oz if I remember correctly vs 23 oz of the Glock 19. The 4" Buckmark will feel a bit back heavy. You'll also, should, get better accuracy with the 5.5" version not really because of the longer barrel - I've always told people handgun accuracy is 90% shooter 10% gun but the longer sight radius of the 5.5" Buckmark should give you an edge.

OK..cool!

What kind of rubber grip tape should I buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.