Zebralight H600F and H600Fw (Projected Shipping March 30, 2012) -- Photos Added

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just saw the official new product announcement in the latest Zebralight newsletter. Estimated shipping date March 30, 2012.

Last edited:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Zebralight H600F and H600Fw (Projected Shipping March 30, 2012)

Sorry, I didn't realize HIDblue had posted a similar thread when these first appeared as pre-order items...but I suspect that the newsletter announcement may actually mean shipping is imminent.

Edit: Actually....they are shipping now.

Last edited:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just noticed on the Zebralight website they now offer Glow in the Dark silicone holders for the H600 but for a price... I wonder if you can substitute the GITD one for the plain black rubber one as I always preferred the GITD holders of my H50/H50b/H30 headlamps over the new ones.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

One of the times when I was corresponding with ZL customer service they indicated if the buyer asked they would send along the one you wanted. I'm not sure if that still applies, but if placing an order you could always ask for a substitute in the special instructions box that appears as part of the order process...or order and additional black holder as part of the order.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I decided to order one of these -- the H600Fw. I've been wanting the diffused or wide and neutral version of an H600 and thought this would fit the bill for me (especially since my previously targeted headlamp...the H502...has not yet been made available).

My initial impression is good. I think the tint on the H600Fw is outstanding. I had not seen a neutral tint H600w yet, and I definitely like the neutral of the H600Fw. I also like the diffusion.

As expected, there is a distinct difference between the beam patterns of the non-diffused H600 that I already have and the diffused H600Fw.

It's funny, but I've seen several H600 owners who seem to want to describe their perception of the H600 has having no discernible hot spot (a description I have never understood). I think anyone who has a non-diffused H600 and compares it to the diffused H600F or H600Fw will be able to see the difference and the hot spot of the H600 will be revealed in the comparison (even if they don't seem to "see" the H600 hot spot under normal circumstances).

Yeah, the H600 leans toward floody (just as the SC600 leans toward floody) but is not a true flood...and even though the H600Fw is only diffused and not a true flood either, comparing the H600 to the H600Fw in person really shows quite a difference, at least to my own eyes.

If someone else doesn't post beamshot comparisons before I can, I'll try to do so soon. Unfortunately, I'll have to show the difference between the cooler tint H600 and the warmer tint H600Fw since I don't have matching tint versions to compare.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

I noticed that the photos of the H600F and H600Fw on the ZebraLight website seem to be shots of previous versions of the H600. I guess they used stock images since they don't seem to show the diffusion filter. They'll probably change that on the site at some point, but for the moment they are not exact photos of the actual lamps.

So, here are a a couple of images showing the H600 (left) and the H600Fw (right).

120402-008_small.jpg

120402-009_small.jpg

120402-003_small.jpg

HIDblue

Enlightened

Thanks for the pics varuscelli! I'm still debating whether I should get the H600F or wait for the true flood H602, if that ever actually comes to fruition.

Beamshots would be appreciated whenever you get a chance.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll see if I can maybe get some shots tonight.

As a kind of disclaimer, I'm not sure I can do effective comparison shots between the H600 and H600Fw given the difference in output of the two versions at different settings. There some much difference between the two, both in terms of output and tint, that side-by-side beamshots might be misleading. A better comparison would likely be the H600 to H600F or H600w to H600Fw.

But the reason I decided to pick up the H600Fw was that I felt the beam characteristics would be (theoretically) quite a bit different from the H600, and (again, theoretically) each should be useful in different situations.

Given the output difference on high (H600 at 750 lumens and the H600Fw at 612 lumens) and the fact that the H600Fw is diffused, when the two are compared side by side outdoors the H600 has an easily discernible advantage in throw. The H600 will light stuff up in the distance that the H600Fw won't come close to. It's not that the H600Fw won't light things up at a distance, but the light is so diffused that its effectiveness beyond 40 or 50 feet is not near what you get with the H600.

To me, if I wanted to light up something effectively with a headlamp beyond 40 to 50 feet outdoors, I wouldn't use the H600Fw -- I'd use the H600.

Also, since the H600Fw is diffused rather than a true flood, it's not as floody as a true flood would be...but it's pretty darned close. The thing about using diffusion is that the light is still hotter in the middle and does spill to the far edges (something that can be more easily seen on a wall), but the gradual diffusion from center to far edges makes it such that you can't point out the edge of the hot spot to corona to spill...it all just a nice gradient blend from center to outermost edges with not real dividing lines between. It's diffused...not a flood, although the diffusion gives it very good floody characteristics.

Last edited:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still cant understand why they dont thread the bezel-ring
and make it possible to change the lens from frosted to clear.

I suppose they can sell 2 lights to some customers rather than one
but it seems it would keep more people from buying in the first place.

If I were to choose one Id take the h600w and slap a piece of tape on
it when I needed a more diffused beam ;)

not knocking the frosted lens at all or the light - I like the form factor.

thanks for those pics Var they are much clearer than the ZL ones :thumbsup:

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, you make very good points, psychbeat.

Realistically, I don't think the H600Fw is anything other than an H600w with an F (frosted) lens in place of the clear lens. Others have expressed this same desire for add-on (or interchangeable) filters or lenses, and I agree. It would be great to be able to spend...what?...maybe and extra $10 or $15 USD on in interchangeable frosted lens that could be added or removed at will.

One thing that comes to mind on the interchangeable lenses is waterproofing and whether that might be compromised with removable lenses. Then again, it could just be done by ZebraLight by turning the current exterior bezel into a threaded bezel where the main cover lens (waterproof) is left in place and a frosted lens with its own threaded bezel merely added on top (just a stackable configuration as with camera lens filters) by screwing it directly down onto a threaded bezel on the body. Hmmm...but an exterior mounted frosted lens would also constrict the light somewhat, too...so as an exterior add-on there could be some negatives, depending on the exact design.

I know some get around the this lack of interchangeable lenses by adding their own diffusion material to the front of an H600 or H600w, but personally I see that as something that would be kind of a hassle if you want to use the lamp at full power on occasion (remove the filter material, reapply it when you want the diffusion...over and over again). But that's just my personal view, and if techniques works for others, that's great. I'd still rather have a nicely manufactured diffuser (again, just my personal preference).

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
if there were indents on the bezel ring (like most p60 hosts)
you could just unscrew it and there would be an oring to seal(also like p60 type lights)
...just saying :whistle: it would be pretty simple to do

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, it sure seems like one way or the other they'd be able to modify the design to accommodate the concept of interchangeable lenses/filters. I'd love to see it.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
All right....a couple of beamshots comparing the H600 and H600Fw. Be warned that although I tried to get these image to resemble as closely as possible what my eyes saw, they all seem darker than what I saw in person. The room was much more well lit than these shots seem to show. I also find that there is ALWAYS more light falloff on the periphery in photos than the eye sees in real life. Hot spots are always hotter and edge falloff is always more than what the eye perceives in my limited experience. Personally, I actually hate doing beam shots.

H600 pointed slightly toward ceiling, distance of about 20 feet.
120403-005.jpg

H600Fw pointed slightly toward ceiling, distance of about 20 feet.
120403-006.jpg

Last edited:

HIDblue

Enlightened
Great beamshots! Doesn't look like there's much of a discernible hotspot with the H600Fw in the photos. That frosted lens seems to be doing a pretty good job of spreading the beam out.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, HIDblue. Hopefully those images at least come close to showing the difference...or at least how well the H600Fw diffusion works.

I think once a true H600 flood comes out (H602), the the middle ground that the H600F and H600Fw occupy will be more clearly revealed.

For instance, if I put the H600Fw on low and compare it to my H501w, it's clear that the H501w is a true flood and the H600Fw only a diffused lamp. That's as close of a comparison as I can make to show myself the difference between flood and diffused light.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another interesting visual comparison is that when I put the H600 and H600Fw in their lowest modes, the H600Fw seems to put out WAY less light than the H600 (a low level that some users should find highly desirable).

Supposedly, the H600 is rated at 0.1 lumens at its lowest setting (L2) and the H600Fw is rated at 0.09 lumens at its lowest setting (L2). According to the specs, that's only a 0.01 lumen difference.

I'd think that little difference should be realistically unnoticeable...but I see the H600Fw as a much lower level of light output when the two are set to the L2 setting. I tested the lights in dark closet shining toward a wall at a distance varying from 1 to 3 feet.

I'm not sure I understand that, but my eyes show me what they show me. Maybe there's something I'm not understanding about the ratings...or maybe my H600Fw is putting out less light than the specs....or my H600 putting out more light...or maybe the diffusion filter throws some anomaly into the mix as far as the lumens rating.

But shouldn't I see these two at their L2 settings as almost the same, even with the diffusion, when used at equal distances from whatever I shine them toward?

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also suspect that most people who like Zebralight floody lamps like the H31F, H31Fw, H51F or H51Fw but want something similar with more output on high or longer runtimes on lower settings might really like the H600F or H600Fw. Same kind of diffusion but roughly three times the output in Turbo mode (short use) and double the output on standard H1 (long use)...and much longer run times on any equivalent output settings from high to low.

There are so many variables with the Zebralight settings given the Turbo, H1/H2, M1/M2 and L1/L2 choices, but when compared to each of those same settings on the Zebralight lamps that run on CR123A or AA batteries, the 18650 version will obviously produce more output or longer run times...and WAY longer run times on when compared to similar output levels on the CR123A and AA lamps. That's pretty nice for those who like a diffused lamp -- especially for those users who like diffusion with a neutral tint. Like the other H600 versions, 80 days on L1 (0.09 to 0.1 lumens, depending on the lamp version) with a 2900 mAH battery...damn, that's a long run time. And 18 to 50 hours on the M1 and M2 medium settings, respectively...all great run times.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mean to jack the thread, but has anyone received their H600 or H600W very recently? It seems there is an issue with some of the newer SC600 where the beam profile isn't very nice, most likely because Zebra has started using a new board for the LED and this changed the relative position of the LED to the reflector... I hope they fix that problem before putting any of those boards in the H600 series as I haven't ordered mine yet.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cataract, I'd have to say that would likely be a question better asked in one of the existing H600 or H600w threads (several to choose from that can be bumped to the top with that question). I say that for a couple of reasons, but one perspective on that would be that if an H600F or H600Fw release was affected by the new board you mention, would there be any beam profile evidence of it in a lamp with a diffusion lens? I have to think that the diffusion itself might actually mask an affected beam profile (just my guess). But rather that nudging a thread on the H600F and H600Fw in what looks like an off-topic direction, why not ask in an H600 or H600w related thread? (I mean that respectfully, no flame or criticism intended.) :)

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
you're probably right, I just jumped on the most active thread not realizing it was about H600F and FW rather than W and FW (oooh, if my dad even tried to read what I just wrote...)