Ring of Light MKII

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently upgraded my camera to an Oly EPL3 with Oly housing.
While I could get my original Ring of Light to work with it, it was not perfect. It was too small to fit around the lens barrel and too big to sit it front of it not to mention adding considerable weight to the system.

So I have started on the MKII version.

Same basic principles. Just a smaller design.
I have not got the LED's yet but will probably be XPG's on 10mm stars. Either 8 driven at full power or 16 driven at reduced power.

The original Ring of Light is now up for sale. Battery pack not included. Make me an offer or I may have to pull it apart for the LED's.

MK2.jpg

arek98

Enlightened
I have not got the LED's yet but will probably be XPG's on 10mm stars.

Recently I was involved in buying Nichia high CRI LEDs - NVSL219AT-H1. You can search MP for more info. Illumination Supply selles them on 10mm boards (4500K, they are few days from beeing available). They probably are better for video/photography. They look almost like XP-G, fit the same MCPCM, go to 1.5A but they have CRI about 92 (92 is typical, minimum is 85). They are little less efficient than high K white XP-G but not that much and high CRI is big advantage IMO. These available are equivalent to XPG Q4-Q5.

Last edited:
@Packorse : how huge is difference ( comfort ) between old camera CANON G10 to OLYMPUS EPL-03 ( because I look right in opposite direction from OLYMPUS SP-505 UZ to CANON G11 or 1X) ?

But im sure that housing are all much better from Olympus than Canon .

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new housing is quite big. Its not helped by the stock "focus" lights that are a total waste of space.

The Canon G series cameras are great units and if you want a snap shot camera they are fantastic ( even over kill) but the EPL's are a step above.

I am prepared to carry around the extra bulk. Of course the lighting adds more bulk so a smaller camera soon becomes a bigger system.

I purchased a second hand Canon Ixus and housing last year. The idea was that it was so small I could take it on every dive. Problem is its so small I put it somewhere and forgot where.