I need a little help picking a new light...

treejohnny

Newly Enlightened
I have just under $100 to spend, it needs to use 18650 batteries (most of my lights do).
My favorite light is ZL 600 and it has plenty of light, but next one should throw further.

I am looking for the new light to throw further and I have it narrowed down to either a DRY or Crelant 7G5. I am assuming the Crelant to throw further and the dry to be brighter. I would love to hear from someone that has both. Most of my batteries are TF 2400 Flames and they should supply either fine? I have the ability to balance charge a set of 3. This light will be to light up my back yard, around 300 yards.

I am looking foward to all of your suggestions.:party:

walterr839

Enlightened
I dont' have the Dry or the the Crelant but I do have a ZL 600. I too was looking for more throw and for $28 I couldn't resist trying Shining Beams new Romisen RC-T601 II XM-L U2.
Impressive throws almost as well as a TK35 for 1/4 the price. Who knows how long it will last but so far I'm pleasantly surprised

treejohnny

Newly Enlightened
Walterr839 - I have no idea how the TK35 throws..... is it about same brightness as the ZL and just throws further?

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the Dereelight DBS. Flashlight connection has a WW version that under your budget. Its one of the best throwers on the market and you can upgrade it w/ different emitters and even an aspheric head for the ultimate in throw.

treejohnny

Newly Enlightened
Gurthang - The Dereelight is very interesting and comes with many configurable options, this needs to be a consideration. The source you listed will be out of commision for another 2 weeks though...

So what is an aspheric head? I see it is 'tunable', does it have transparent glass like all other reflectors?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a thread with beamshots on the Dereelight aspheric.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...BS-T-XR-E-R2-EZ900-Aspheric-First-Impressions
I have info on sorting out the options on posts 20 & 23 there.

You can order the Dereelight directly from Dereelight.

-----

The DRY ask you to use unprotected batteries. That means they are pushing the batteries so hard the protection circuits will trip. Or hard enough the batteries may explode.
Use high capacity (3100 mAH AW or Redilast) or IMR cells with that light.
Be careful with some other brands. They are just recycled used laptop batteries and the info on the wrapper does not mean a thing.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?316888-Fake-Ultrafire-18650-battery-warning

Last edited:

treejohnny

Newly Enlightened
LEDninja - Your link for the options are very helpful!
Ordering a Dereelight can be very complicated and overwelming for most, this really helps.

I am now leaning towards building a Dereelight. I would like the option of 1 or 2 18650 cells, standard head, I do like the new UI with tatical mode or 3 levels. Now for the hard part, which emitter? I like my ZL H600, the xm l does quite well at a wall of light, I would like to reach 200-300 yards out. Which emitter should I be looking at, without the aspheric lens?

The Dry is interesting, but I dont have enough batteries today that I could warrant testing them out.

No one has comented on the Crelant 7G5, is that a bad choice?

palmettoinspect

Newly Enlightened
I have the sc600 and the Olight m21x. The Olight m21x throws are much further beam compaired to the sc600 and only uses one 18650. I use aw 2900 and 3100 protected both of which fit both the Olight m21 and the sc600. If you look at the going gear youtube light reviews of both these lights and pause the high beam shots between both the lights and compair side by side you can see the differance. I'm considering returning my sc600 and getting another m21x. Hope this helps.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have just under $100 to spend, it needs to use 18650 batteries (most of my lights do).
My favorite light is ZL 600 and it has plenty of light, but next one should throw further.

I am looking for the new light to throw further and I have it narrowed down to either a DRY or Crelant 7G5. I am assuming the Crelant to throw further and the dry to be brighter. I would love to hear from someone that has both. Most of my batteries are TF 2400 Flames and they should supply either fine? I have the ability to balance charge a set of 3. This light will be to light up my back yard, around 300 yards.

I am looking foward to all of your suggestions.:party:

Get the Crelant 7G5. It's one heck of a thrower on a budget. But know this, the V2 does not throw as far as it's older bro, the V1. You can't find the V1 anywhere these days (brand new at least) and I got this straight from the guys at Crelant. The beam pattern is one of the tightest in the business, losing only to the Cat V3 and its older sibling by a few thousand lux (which isn't that bad) considering the price which is half that of the Cat V3.

You will break the 300 yard limit as this light can project further, maybe not 500 meters, but definitely in the high 300's or low 400's.

The cool thing about this light however, is that you can run it off two RCR123's (without the extension tube) and still have the same output and throw. (Now this, no other lights can claim) However, you have to be careful of what cells you use as these babies heat up so quick, so running it for extended periods may not be a good idea due to the high current drain (which i was told about 2.8 amps at the tail cap) But the ability to bust it at max output with just two RCR123's blows us 7G5 owners away, its there if you are in a bunch (run out of all your 18650s but have some RCR123's lying around)

The DRY on the other hand is sheer power, however beam's not as focused as the Crelant.

Oh yeah, to the Crelant owners reading this, I was informed by Crelant themselves that they will be coming out with the V3 of this light, (hopefully soon) and this will beat both the V1 and the V2 offerings of this light. The question is, however, when will it be offered.

I also asked them why the V2 doesnt perform as well at the V1, they mentioned that they considered the stability of the light as the main reason why they had to tone down the light a bit. But despite this, the price/performance ratio of this light is pretty good. Even the Aluminum they use is the T6061 (thicker and denser aluminum).

I am a big fan of thrower lights, and this light never fails to put a smile on my face whenever i use it. :)

I own bigger and more expensive throwers, but this baby can "hang" with the big boys. :)

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walterr839 - I have no idea how the TK35 throws..... is it about same brightness as the ZL and just throws further?

The TK35 will out-throw the SC600 as this was designed to be a thrower than a general purpose light like the SC600 (speaking as a Tk35 owner myself)

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the Dereelight DBS. Flashlight connection has a WW version that under your budget. Its one of the best throwers on the market and you can upgrade it w/ different emitters and even an aspheric head for the ultimate in throw.

Hello, If you want one of the best throwers, this is it.

However, on their site, the aspheric version available is the DBS-T, (the tactical version which sells for 92 bucks i think) It still uses the same XRE R2 E900 led as the ol' DBS Aspheric so throw should be the same.

Word to those planning to buy this light, this light has little to no spill, it's all just one focused tight beam. (Sort of light a thick laser light) You'll be able to find awesome beamshots in the forums here. The hotspot is almost a perfect square.

Very nice light, if all your are concerned about is the throw.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
It depends on if you want the beam it throws to be a small, or a large, patch of light.

The Dry will throw a large floody patch, the Crelant will throw a small tight patch.

You CAN use protected cells in the Dry btw...I have Callies Kustoms 3100's in mine for example.

For myself...floody beams are much more useful for trying to look for things, and too much light around you can make it harder to see what's lit up far away...but there's a transition in usefulness.

If you are shooting, and just need a target light, and don't want to light up YOUR position,etc....the tight beams are awesome. If the light has too little spill, etc...you can only see far away though, and its not good for lighting your path as you walk, etc.

The Deerelights and DEFT, etc...work like slide projector lenses - essentially projecting a picture of the LED itself on distant objects. This is fun, and can provide 1000 yard reach, etc....but has limited practical purposes for most people. My only personal uses for this type of light are shinning down very long dark tunnels that run for hundreds of yards...as the beam can make it that far w/o too much dispersion of the light....searching for distant objects like a tree line from a boat, or a pass in the mountains, or shooting something far off in the dark....and playing with the lights....because its fun. The DEFT edc LR+ is pocket sized...I carry it in my pocket, it only has a 1" head....buts it packs a throw like you wouldn't believe. The larger aspherical top O the line Deerelight can barely out throw it.

For me, if I don't have it on me, its not as useful....so a small version of a light tends to be more easily carried, is more likely to be ON me when needed. The Dry is a bit large to pocket...short, but FAT. The Crelant has a fat head (Big heads generally throw better, all else being equal)...etc.

If its not carried, it sits by the back door and you grab it to see what's out there...anything can work.

:D

Last edited:

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDninja - Your link for the options are very helpful!
Ordering a Dereelight can be very complicated and overwelming for most, this really helps.

I am now leaning towards building a Dereelight. I would like the option of 1 or 2 18650 cells, standard head, I do like the new UI with tatical mode or 3 levels. Now for the hard part, which emitter? I like my ZL H600, the xm l does quite well at a wall of light, I would like to reach 200-300 yards out. Which emitter should I be looking at, without the aspheric lens?

The Dry is interesting, but I dont have enough batteries today that I could warrant testing them out.

I own both the Dereelight and the Crelant, i'd recommend both actually.

The Dereelight is practically one of the best throwers out there (i have the DBS V3 Aspheric with XRE R2 E900 Led with E650 extender)

The difference in light intensity is:

7G5V2 about 48k lux (the V1 was 56k)
DBS about 90k lux

If you just want throw without spill, go Dereelight.

If want throw with a bit of spill, then go Crelant. (You have other options for throw like the Catapult V3 and Olight M3X which may have a bit more lux than the Crelant 7G5 V2)

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on if you want the beam it throws to be a small, or a large, patch of light.

The Dry will throw a large floody patch, the Crelant will throw a small tight patch.

You CAN use protected cells in the Dry btw...I have Callies Kustoms 3100's in mine for example.

That's right, and there are protected panasonics now for a bit of savings. :)

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not really, it's not yet a well-known brand. They used to be the company that made the legendary Tiablo's. Hence the name on the box.

Here's the unboxing of mine. :) I ordered this from Hank at International Outdoor.
img00027201203061321.jpg

img00028201203061334.jpg

And here it is compared to the 4Sevens Quark Turbo X (which already has got better throw over the SC600)
img00030201203061355.jpg

I just love this light! I carry it around in its short configuration:
img3286lk.jpg

Should be just a wee bit longer than the SC600 (which is still on my to-buy list)

treejohnny

Newly Enlightened
Roadkill1109 - you have made this thread much better with the addition of pics!

I love my H600 as my EDC, it provides a little light or a ton of light with a great UI, and a small size for the 18650 battery.

My new light will sit on the table most of the time as the wife will use this one as well to shine anything in the yard (hence the 150-300 yard desire) that makes a wierd noise. It will also get used for special events and tent camping.

Crelant makes a great looking light, with different battery options, the 123 possibility and a good feedback on here.

The Dereelight is like lego's and is quite appealing, I like the idea of ordering this one and having it about the same beam shot as the Crelant 7G5 would be good. Not to mention the ability to change the spill/spot with many different combinations as I desire. The idea of withstanding a gun recoil is great as well...

I like the idea of ordering Dereelight and having a comparable beam shot as the Crelant 7G5, is this possible? I can always add the aspheric head later.

Will the Dereelight run on the 123 batteries as well?

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
you're welcome! glad to help out! :)

the dereelight website is a bit cryptic to the unfamiliar, but yes, its one of the more "legoable" flashlights out there like the Quark series of 4Sevens.

Unfortunately i do not have the DBS with the reflector, only the aspheric as i got that light for pure throw. But i'm sure you can find out its lux readings from one of the posts here in the forums. Weapon mountable lights usually have stiff dual springs on both ends of the light.

The Dereelights have various battery options, but the best run time is by using dual 18650's.

treejohnny

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to all that posted here and helped me decide, there are too many lights to buy them all....??

My next light will be the Dereelight DBS T, now I have to figure out which emitter. This will not be just for throw.
Which emitter would be the closest to the Crelant 7G5?

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to all that posted here and helped me decide, there are too many lights to buy them all....??

My next light will be the Dereelight DBS T, now I have to figure out which emitter. This will not be just for throw.
Which emitter would be the closest to the Crelant 7G5?

If you are getting a degreelight and are considering not just throw, you should get the DBS-T XML T6 700 Lumens, but if you want it to eventually be a fantastic thrower, you have to get the 2MT-M pill and XRE R2 Emitter. You can order the aspheric head separately, but if you use it with the reflector for spill, you get some spill, and a tight hotspot but might not throw as good as if it was on the aspheric lens.

treejohnny

Newly Enlightened
Roadkill - Thanks for all of your help.
I am in USA/IL, which means that I need to wait until after April 15th for the only? dealer in USA to get back from vacation. Every order so far from outside the states all take about a month to receive. So I am hoping that my dealer will have the DBS T-M with xm-l in stock, I can always get the Aspheric head with XR-E E900 emitter later.

The Crelant 7G5 is still very interesting, I hope that the Dereelight with XM-L is very comperable, I am glad I do not own any RC123's today....