What bikes can do for you

Abbot

Newly Enlightened
Do You Feel Helpless about the Rising Cost of Oil? What do you do towards this situation. You can do like me. You may not afford to keep your car on the road.
But you can surely afford awell-accessorized bike! Install a bike flashlight, you can use you bike during the day and night time. You will don't bothered with the rising cost of oil anymore. Your bike can work well just like you car.

Last edited by a moderator:

cccpull

Enlightened
Re: What bike flashlights can do for you?

"Your bike can work well just like you car."

I just cannot commute 80 miles round-trip to work daily. Just not enough time or energy in one day.:shakehead

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What bike's can do for you?

My work is 28 miles from home. That's about 45 km. I'd ride it once or twice a week except that there are nothing but hills between here and work and I start work at an early hour. Not only that, but, I work close to a major university and bike theft is a real problem here. A 28 mile walk home would not be good.

Back in the day I used to ride to work on Fridays when I worked a lot closer to home. That was 28 miles round trip. On Mondays and Wednesdays I rode to the metro station, which was only 8 miles round trip. That's about 12 km. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I drove to the metro station. I was in much better shape back then.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Title changed to reflect the true nature of the topic, which is "Your bike can work well just like you car". Moving this to the Cafe.

Bill

StarHalo

Flashaholic

Electric bike can do for me

zeromotorcycles2012sred.png

vali

Enlightened

I feel very fortunate because I found a job less than 10 minutes walking from my home.

We don't know where you live, but if you are from USA, then you should check gas prices here (just a hint: roughly twice as much, IIRC).

H-Man

Enlightened

We would be lost with out our bikes. Aside from the cost and chaos, when you get in the driver's seat of a car you lose half of what's left of The Bill Of Rights.

And besides, bicycles are faster than cars:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2euxpz7
And my mom wonders why I want to build an electric bike. Little additional maintenance, I can park in prime spaces (I spend 20 minuets to find parking for my 1988 suburban in ojai proper vs I just roll up on my bike to the bike rack,) and I can go pretty fast on my bike without electric assist, so it is reasonable to assume that with 400 watts helping me, I could do 15 mph on the hills.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's the Zero-S; a less-than-$1 charge nets up to 114 miles range. No gears, no fluids or exhaust, no sound. McGizmo has one..

Probably closer to 60 miles/charge in combined riding for the ZF6
That's tight when you want to go cruising for an afternoon.

In a couple years w/ battery advancements, that could easily double.

Last edited:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,

Despite living in a city with decent public transportation, I couldn't tell you the train stops or bus routes, cause I ride my bike to work year-round, rain/snow/whatever, and it makes me feel good. And a damned fine reason to get cool lights too. :D

:rock: john

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast

My car has become a bird poop refuge...:eek:oo:

9 months car free (fuel cost antithesis not...it's because...click on jch79's video link)

H-Man

Enlightened

I'm trying to build an electric bike on a budget of 500 usd max for everything.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Title changed to reflect the true nature of the topic, which is "Your bike can work well just like you car". Moving this to the Cafe.

Bill

Thanks Bill. I found the topic title a bit too confusing.

To deal with that issue . . . No. A bike running on pedal-power cannot work well, just like my car. Here's a few reasons why:

1) I've used my car for picking up and transporting a week's worth of groceries to my home. Can't do that with a bike.

2) My last full-time job could only be reached from my home by going on the expressway. No way am I going on an expressway on a bike. I'm not suicidal.

3) When I pick up my friends to have fun on the weekend, I need extra seats. Even if I'm only picking up one friend, I can't ask another grown man to ride on my handlebars.

4) The places I go to for fun are about 15 miles away from where I live. (That's one way.) I'd rather do more than just spend my life working and being bored to death.

5) I'm not pedaling to work in the rain. Even if it's just a short distance away.

6) During Summer, without air-conditioning, I'm not going to risk collapsing from heat-stroke and ending up with a huge hospital bill after being admitted into the ER. Or, even worse, leaving my elderly mother without someone to look after her because I dropped dead of heat-stroke. (Same situation in Winter with the issue of frost bite or freezing to death with no heat.)

7) No mature, sophisticated, woman in the world is going to date a guy who only rides a bike. No immature, teenaged, girl is going to date a guy who only rides a bike.

There you have it. Seven good reasons why gasoline is a necessary expense. You pay rent to have a place to live. You pay for food so as not to starve. And you pay for gasoline because in many parts of the world, a car has become a necessity.

ASheep

Enlightened

I commute daily on my bicycle, I'm lucky in that I ride around 5km to the train station, then catch a train for the next 35kms into the City. My work and University are both within 15 minutes walk at the other end of the train trip. When I really need a car, I can usually borrow one from a family member, although that is becoming less commonplace.

I have a bike locker at the train station for which I pay a small fee each year to rent from the state rail authority, which guarantees me a secure parking spot right next to the train station, plus it has a hook for my wet weather gear on less pleasant days!
It does help that the weather here is pretty nice, in summer it can get a bit hot (40+ deg C), thankfully my workplace has staff showers! At least I don't have to worry about snow and frostbite!

Having said that, I'm looking into getting a (diesel) 4wd pickup in the near future for camping/hunting trips, and for those days where it just is no fun to ride a bike!

Cheers,
Alex

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast

I bike for small errands when the outside temp and weather allows. I take mail to the post office, go to the bank and store for small items. I bike for exercise as well. I am fortune enough to live near a good system of paved bike trails where one can go for miles and travel to different cities and towns.